PDA

View Full Version : Weird Al

Pages : [1] 2

Greyfolk
02-21-2003, 03:33 PM
Has Weird Al written any SW songs since the Saga begins? I'd love to hear an AotC song.

scruffziller
02-22-2003, 08:40 AM
He is currently in the studio getting his album done. No word as to what is on it.
But you can go to http://www.weirdal.com to check up on any progress.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-23-2003, 11:36 AM
I expect the new album to be with a hip-hop theme. He is a master of pop culture, and much of not only today's music but also its culture is dominated by rap and hip-hop artists. His previous albums ahve taken on such styles as alternative, rock ballads, heavy metal, etc. A title could be "The Weird Al Show" (a la M&M's [yes, I know I spelled it incorrectly] "The Eminem Show" ). Fits his love of TV, too. I eagerly await his new work. :)

James Boba Fettfield
02-23-2003, 03:49 PM
I would expect him to mock some of that nu metal and rock/rap that the youth of America is so eagerly enjoying, or rather were eagerly enjoying.

scruffziller
02-25-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
I expect the new album to be with a hip-hop theme. He is a master of pop culture, and much of not only today's music but also its culture is dominated by rap and hip-hop artists. His previous albums ahve taken on such styles as alternative, rock ballads, heavy metal, etc. A title could be "The Weird Al Show" (a la M&M's [yes, I know I spelled it incorrectly] "The Eminem Show" ). Fits his love of TV, too. I eagerly await his new work. :)

Yea the Weird Al show!!!:D

I can see the cover now too.......:crazed:

scruffziller
04-03-2003, 02:40 PM
The album is out May 20th!!!!!!

scruffziller
04-03-2003, 02:49 PM
I think we were right, I think it has to do with something about The Eminem Show. Look at his suit!!! It is the exact same as Em's inside the CD case.

El Chuxter
04-03-2003, 03:07 PM
SWEET!

Wonder when the first single will come out?

QLD
04-03-2003, 03:08 PM
Weird Al has rarely disappointed me yet. I'm game!

Rogue II
04-03-2003, 03:11 PM
WOO!!!!!! I can't wait.

My daughter watches some shows on Noggin. There is a theme song for one of the new shows (Marcel?) that sounds just like Wierd Al's voice. I'll have to check the credits.

JEDIpartner
04-03-2003, 04:14 PM
"Weird Al" is a legend in my book! He has out-lived pretty much all of the acts that he has lampooned. That being the case... Eminem's time may be up shortly! Check his track record... "Weird Al" does a parody and that artist soon disappears into obscurity. No wonder Prince didn't want "Weird Al" to do a parody of one of his songs! It would have just help him disappear FASTER than he did on his own merits! :eek:

Bel-Cam Jos
04-04-2003, 08:35 PM
According to weirdal.com

NEW ALBUM!!!
After nearly four years, the new album by "Weird Al" Yankovic is finally slated for release. It's called "Poodle Hat," and it will be in stores on May 20th.
Poodle Hat, eh? Okay... weird even for Weird Al.

darthvyn
04-05-2003, 12:44 AM
According to weirdal.com

Poodle Hat, eh? Okay... weird even for Weird Al.

awesome... i can't wait!

James Boba Fettfield
04-05-2003, 01:14 AM
Let's speculate. What the hell can we gather from this cover?

Bel-Cam Jos
04-05-2003, 09:47 AM
I have recently thought that "Poodle Hat" is an anagram of some other, weirder phrase. Like:

The DA Pool
Plooth Ade
Hoot Laped
Hate Plodo
Death Pool
Hood Plate
The Poo Lad
Dole Hot Ap
Toad Pole H
Oh Tadpole
Hold A Poet
Hated Loop
Pale Dooth
Heat D Pool
Deal PH Too

Others?

scruffziller
04-05-2003, 10:01 AM
Wow I wonder if that came up just within the last day or so I never saw it.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-07-2003, 11:31 AM
According to weirdal.com
NEW ALBUM!!!
After nearly four years, the new album by "Weird Al" Yankovic is finally slated for release. It's called "Poodle Hat," and it will be in stores on May 20th.

This was dated April 4 on the site.

Other possibilities:
Do The A Lop
Loathe Pod
Load Thope
Doole Path
He Loot Pad
Lead Photo
Hoop D Late
Top Ale, Doh!
T Lead Hoop

darthvyn
04-07-2003, 12:07 PM
well, if you use all the good ones, no one else is gonna join in! ;)

howabout hoodle pat?

el dooptha
a led poot
doo le phat
hal toe pod
hat de pool
e doh polat
toodle hap
adle thoop
da hot pole
late phood
the ad pool

smurfvader
04-08-2003, 05:23 PM
I'm wondering if any of the people on the subway have anything to do with previous songs. For instance the Boy scout could represent "Nature Trail to Hell". Just a thought.

JIm

I doubt he will have a song about "Attack of the Clones" mainly because when he was asked about doing another SW song he said he likes to keep them 16 years apart. It was 16 years between Empire and Phantom, correct?

Bel-Cam Jos
04-08-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by smurfvader
I'm wondering if any of the people on the subway have anything to do with previous songs. For instance the Boy scout could represent "Nature Trail to Hell". Just a thought.

JIm

I doubt he will have a song about "Attack of the Clones" mainly because when he was asked about doing another SW song he said he likes to keep them 16 years apart. It was 16 years between Empire and Phantom, correct?
1) His album "Polka Party" had several "unknown" people on the cover, too. Hopefully this new one won't fade into obscurity like PP did. Al says that album was one of the first times people said "well, he was popular for a while but no longer" about him.
2) Some key clues with the album image:
Al's going to work on a New York subway (maybe John Rocker's racist comments?)
"Boy Scout" is wearing a Webelos hat (Cub Scout level)
Jay is in the background
Other people (2 construction workers, 2 in African dress, a lunch lady, man with sleeping bag, "legs" lady staring at Al's newspaper)
Subway car is clean and graffitti-free
Hmm... :confused:
3) ESB in 1980.
TPM in 1999.
1999 - 1980 = 19.
However... ROJ in 1983.
TPM in 1999.
1999 - 1983 = 16.
1999 + 16 = 2015.
Long time to wait for a SW parody. :eek: I hope not.
4) Other anagrams:
Al The Doop
Heat Plood
Taped Hool
Hate D Polo

JON9000
04-10-2003, 04:21 PM
Dude, Weird Al has been making music longer than Deadeye, err, umm, JediBrian has been alive.

darthvyn
04-11-2003, 06:25 PM
padle hoot
at de h pool
ode pot hal
pat ole hod
poo had let
the pal doo

Rogue II
04-13-2003, 08:34 PM
Anyone see The Simpsons tonight? Wierd Al made a cameo and sang a song about Homer and Marge to the tune of John Cougar Melloncamp's "Jack and Diane." I hope that song is on his the new album.

James Boba Fettfield
04-13-2003, 08:45 PM
I saw the weird one on there. Which song you refering to? The one he did during the episode or the one he did during the credits?

Rogue II
04-13-2003, 10:54 PM
I thought it was all the same parody of "Jack and Diane."

darthvyn
04-13-2003, 11:02 PM
there were more lyrics to the one during the credits... i wouldn't think this would be on the album, unless it was a bonus track or something after the last song... that would be cool, though...

El Chuxter
04-14-2003, 01:07 PM
I'm sure if nothing else it will show up on the next Simpsons CD.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-14-2003, 07:21 PM
I am paraphrasing here:

"A little diddy
About Homer and Marge.
(Something something something)
(Something) is large.

... Oh, yeah. Life goes on
Long after the grilled
Cheese sandwich is gone.

... Had a lot of fun on the show
Even if it was
Only a cameo..."

Or whatever. Going off memory of last night.

Here's a list of Weird Al's contributions to non-parody songs:
George of the Jungle theme song
Spy Hard theme song
Johnny Dangerously theme song ("This Is the Life" )
The Weird Al cartoon/live action kids' show
UHF
A cameo in Naked Gun 2 1/2

Wow. :eek:

QLD
04-14-2003, 07:27 PM
I thought Weird Al was in Naked Gun 33 1/3? Wasn't he and Vanna White a pair of Oscar presenters who had their clothes taken?

Rogue II
04-14-2003, 07:56 PM
I am paraphrasing here:

"A little diddy
About Homer and Marge.
(Something) is large.

I thnk it was something like...

A little diddy about Homer and Marge.
They love each other more than his stomach is large

or

She loves him more than...

James Boba Fettfield
04-14-2003, 08:04 PM
Al did a song for a Pokemon movie. I don't remember which movie it was, but he wrote a song for the movie that I know played during the credits.

scruffziller
04-15-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Rogue II
I thought it was all the same parody of "Jack and Diane."

That would be Buckingham Blues.

El Chuxter
04-15-2003, 06:47 PM
Weird Al was in all three Naked Gun flicks: in #1 and #33&1/3 as himself, and he's the hoodlum holding up the police station in #22&1/2 ("You're all a bunch of pigs!").

QLD
04-15-2003, 07:01 PM
I forgot about 2...and 1 for some reason. I have only seen 2 1/2 once, since it wasn't my favorite.

But 1 I have seen tons of times!

darthvyn
04-15-2003, 08:49 PM
i had no idea that was him in the first one...

scruffziller
04-16-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller
That would be Buckingham Blues.

My bad that was Chuck and Diane.:D

plasticfetish
04-17-2003, 06:02 AM
I once ate lunch with Weird Al.
I sat very close to him and watched him eat a knish.
It was truly ... weird.

scruffziller
04-17-2003, 11:48 AM
It was rather bizarre to have The Pet Shop Boys being played as well as Weird Al in the same ep....for me. Those were the first 2 artists that I got original album recordings for. When I got a job, I went all out with buying all of their stuff, box sets, imports, obscure recordings etc. Maybe the Simpsons are the focal point of my musical interests.

Dr Zoltar
04-17-2003, 03:26 PM
scruffziller,

I was thinking that as well! PSB and Weird Al are two of my most favourite groups. Pairing them together in the same Simpson's ep was just strange.

plasticfetish,

Nice! I only have met him in person once. He's shorter than I expected, but did the whole "put his leg behind his head and hop around" thing. He was signing autographs in the mid-90's and stayed like 2 hours later than he was supposed to. His driver and manager were getting ******, but he refused to leave until everyone who wanted an autograph got one.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-17-2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by plasticfetish
I once ate lunch with Weird Al.
I sat very close to him and watched him eat a knish.
It was truly ... weird.

Originally posted by Dr Zoltar
Nice! I only have met him in person once. He's shorter than I expected, but did the whole "put his leg behind his head and hop around" thing. He was signing autographs in the mid-90's and stayed like 2 hours later than he was supposed to. His driver and manager were getting ******, but he refused to leave until everyone who wanted an autograph got one.
I too have met W.A.Y. He was at the "Spike & Mike's Sick and Twisted Festival of Animation" in the mid '90s (1994?) in Riverside, CA. I told him we share the same birthday (we do! ), and I almost told him my favorite food is mashed potatoes, but I felt I'd already made myself look like a dweeb, so I declined. He signed my cassette cover of "In 3-D." He's the dreamiest... :rolleyes: (No, that wasn't how he signed it :p)

Rogue II
04-17-2003, 07:58 PM
Hey, I lived in Riverside from late 1993 to early 1996. How did I miss him?:mad:

The closest I've seen him is on his Live DVD.

Dr Zoltar
04-18-2003, 02:55 PM
Bel-Cam Jos,

That's where I saw him too! I lived in Riverside from '93 - 95. The animation festival was great and the line for Weird Al was long. But I did learn one thing from a fellow fan. Always bring a Polaroid Instamatic camera with you. You can take a photo of yourself with the celebrity, and then have them sign the bottom of the photo. To this day, that's what I do at all the autograph sessions I go to.

smurfvader
04-20-2003, 04:17 PM
ESB in 1980.
TPM in 1999.
1999 - 1980 = 19

I realized my mistake the next day, but was unable to get to the computer.

JIm

Bel-Cam Jos
04-20-2003, 05:20 PM
No prob, smurfvader. I just like to make obscure numbers charts. :happy:

Here's an alphabetical list of Weird Al's songs (think it's all of them):
Achy Breaky Song
Addicted to Spuds
Airline Amy
Albuquerque
Alimony
Amish Paradise
Another One Rides the Bus
Attack of the Radioactive Hamsters From a Planet Near Mars
Bedrock Anthem
Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota
Bite Me
Bohemian Polka
Buckingham Blues
Buy Me a Condo
Cable TV
Callin' In Sick
Cavity Search
Christmas at Ground Zero
Dare to be Stupid
Dog Eat Dog
Don't Wear Those Shoes
Eat It
Everything You Know is Wrong
Fat
Frank's 2000" TV
Fun Zone
Gandhi II
Generic Blues
George of the Jungle
Germs
Girls Just Want to Have Lunch
Good Enough For Now
Good Old Days
Gotta Boogie
Grapefruit Diet
Gump
Happy Birthday
Harvey the Wonder Hamster
Headline News
Here's Johnny
Hooked on Polkas
I Can't Watch This
I Lost on Jeopardy
I Love Rocky Road
I Remember Larry
I Think I'm a Clone Now
I Want a New Duck
I Was Only Kidding
I'll Be Mellow When I'm Dead
I'm So Sick of You
Isle Thing
It's All About the Pentiums
Jerry Springer
Jurassic Park
King of Suede
Lasagna
Let Me Be Your Hog
Like a Surgeon
Living With a Hernia
Livin' In the Fridge
Melanie
Midnight Star
Money For Nothing/Beverly Hillbillies
Mr. Frump in the Iron Lung
Mr. Popeil
My Baby's In Love with Eddie Vedder
My Bologna
Nature Trail to Hell
One More Minute
One Of Those Days
Phony Calls
Polka Party!
Polka Power!
Polkas on 45
Polka Your Eyes Out
Pretty Fly for a Rabbi
Ricky
She Drives Like Crazy
She Never Told Me She Was a Mime
Since You've Been Gone
Slime Creatures from Outer Space
Smells Like Nirvana
Spam
Spatula City
Stop Draggin' My Car Around
Stuck in a Closet with Vanna White
Such a Groovy Guy
Syndicated Inc.
Taco Grande
Talk Soup
That Boy Could Dance
The Alternative Polka
The Brady Bunch
The Check's In the Mail
The Hot Rocks Polka
The Night Santa Went Crazy
The Plumbing Song
The Saga Begins
The Weird Al Show Theme
The White Stuff
Theme from Rocky XIII
This Is the Life
(This Song's Just) Six Words Long
Toothless People
Traffic Jam
Trigger Happy
Truck Drivin' Song
Twister
UHF
Velvet Elvis
Waffle King
When I Was Your Age
Yoda
You Don't Love Me Anymore
You Make Me
Young, Dumb and Ugly
Your Horoscope For Today

What's YOUR Top 14 list? Why fourteen? Better than a baker's dozen, that's why!

Rogue II
04-20-2003, 07:44 PM
My top 5 in no particular order.
Albuquerque
Yoda
Fat
The Saga BeginsTruck Drivin' Song
Eat It

I like most of his songs, but a few get annoying.

Does anyone here listen to the Dr. Demento show? I don't think we get it in my area.

Kidhuman
04-20-2003, 07:54 PM
Yoda
Another one Rides the Bus
Saga begins
Eat it
I lost on Jepordy

James Boba Fettfield
04-20-2003, 10:49 PM
BCJ, maybe you left them off the list on purpose, but I noticed you don't have the songs Polkamon and Spy Hard, which Al did for a Pokemon movie and Spy Hard.

EDIT-I was checking out Al's site, and I noticed he lists some non album songs he has created.

Pacman
It's Still Billy Joel To Me
School Cafeteria
Take Me Down

It also lists that Spy Hard song as Theme From Spy Hard, and that Polkamon song is from Pokemon the Movie 2000.

James Boba Fettfield
05-07-2003, 06:28 PM
'Weird Al' Yankovic takes on hits by a whole new crop of pop stars on his latest album, 'Poodle Hat,' due May 20 via Way Moby/Volcano. On the 12-track set, the musical parody veteran reworks well-known songs by such artists as Eminem (news - web sites), Avril Lavigne (news), and Nelly.

The album's lead track is 'Couch Potato,' a commentary on America's obsession with media and celebrity, set to Eminem's 'Lose Yourself.' Because Yankovic is going along with Eminem's wishes, the song won't be supported by the type of video treatment that has become the hallmark of past 'Weird Al' projects.

'Eminem gave his approval for me to use 'Couch Potato' (my 'Lose Yourself' parody) as a track on my new album, but he wouldn't allow me to do a video for it,' Yankovic tells Billboard.com. 'He somehow feels that a 'Weird Al' video would detract from his legacy or make people take him less seriously. I have to respect his decision, but it's obviously very disappointing for me -- it would have been an absolutely amazing video.'

Elsewhere on 'Poodle Hat,' Lavigne's 'Complicated' becomes 'A Complicated Song,' while Nelly's 'Hot in Herre' is morphed into 'Trash Day.' Yankovic also turns Billy Joel (news)'s 'Piano Man' into a 'Spiderman' parody as 'Ode to a Superhero,' and the Backstreet Boys (news - web sites)' 'I Want It That Way' into the send-up 'eBay.'

In keeping with tradition, the album also features one of the accordion-playing musician's trademark polka medleys. The 'Angry White Boy Polka' finds him incorporating snippets of songs by Rage Against The Machine, Papa Roach, System Of A Down, and the White Stripes, among others.

'Poodle Hat' also boasts original songs such as 'Hardware Store,' 'Party at the Leper Colony,' 'Wanna B Ur Lovr,' and the Bob Dylan homage 'Bob.' Ben Folds guests on the track "Why Does This Always Happen to Me,' while Dweezil Zappa appears on a tribute to his father, Frank Zappa ('Genius in France').

Yankovic and his band -- guitarist Jim West, bassist Steve Jay, and drummer Jon 'Bermuda' Schwartz -- will kick off an extensive North American tour June 19 in Del Mar, Calif. Promising a 'high-energy, multimedia extravaganza complete with hilarious video montages and elaborate costume changes,' the tour will wrap with a Sept. 7 finale in Santa Clara, Calif.

'Poodle Hat' is the follow-up to 1999's 'Running With Scissors,' which peaked at No. 16 on The Billboard 200. That set parodied songs by the Barenaked Ladies, the Offspring, Puff Daddy, and others.

I just read that on Yahoo! Music page.
Weird Al (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=769&ncid=689&e=10&u=/nm/20030507/music_nm/music_yankovic_dc)

scruffziller
05-08-2003, 08:47 AM
Here is a rather similar article on VH1.com

http://www.vh1.com/news/articles/1471733/20030506/yankovic_weird_al.jhtml?headlines=true

Bel-Cam Jos
05-08-2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Rogue II
My top 5 in no particular order.
Albuquerque
Yoda
Fat
The Saga BeginsTruck Drivin' Song
Eat It

Originally posted by kidhuman
Yoda
Another one Rides the Bus
Saga begins
Eat it
I lost on Jepordy

What's YOUR Top 14 list? Why fourteen? Better than a baker's dozen, that's why!
Can't you read? What, are you all Young, Dumb, and Ugly or something? I'm So Sick of You! I Can't Watch This! It's as if Everything [I] Know is Wrong. I'm Callin' in Sick. Sad... :p

hee hee!

Bel-Cam Jos
05-09-2003, 07:14 PM
For those in the Los Angeles area...
Originally posted on weirdal.com May 9, 2003:
Al will be signing copies of "Poodle Hat" on Tuesday, May 20th at 7pm at the Virgin Megastore on Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood. The CD will be available for pre-purchase as of Thursday, May 15 at Virgin Megastore Hollywood, Burbank, Ontario Mills, Costa Mesa or Orange; those who pre-purchase "Poodle Hat" will get a certificate to be exchanged on May 20 for a copy of the cd, along with a wristband that guarantees their place in line for the instore. Wristbands are 'while supplies last' at each store, first come first served. Bela the Poodle will also be in attendance, but there's no guarantee that she will do any signing.
I wonder... is it worth the trip into LA?

Dr Zoltar
05-10-2003, 12:57 AM
Bel-Cam Jos,

I would say yes. I've met him once and he was a very polite person. He will also not leave until everyone who wants a signature or photo with him gets one. IMHO, it's worth it. Now if I can just convince Al to come a bit north to do a signing. Say 1200 miles north...

Bel-Cam Jos
05-10-2003, 11:05 AM
Oh, I've met him too (see post # 40 above), but I only had to endure weekend traffic into Riverside, not weekday rush hour hell into LA! Still, it might be fun.
As for 1200 miles to the north, he did do several tributes to Grunge and Seattle-based bands, so maybe the great state of Washington has a place in his heart (that he ripped right out of his ribcage and threw on the floor and stomped on it until he died... uh! ).

scruffziller
05-10-2003, 12:30 PM
Yea for being a friend to Kurt Cobain.

Kidhuman
05-11-2003, 10:06 AM
Whats with Eminem not letting him make a parody of his song/video?

scruffziller
05-11-2003, 02:27 PM
I don't think it is up to Eminem to give blessing for the video. Al can make paradies of the songs without consent, but he likes to get permission so there is no bad blood between him and the artist. Eminem did give his blessing for the song parody, but I think there is legal limitations of making the video. Check the website link above to VH1.com .

Bel-Cam Jos
05-11-2003, 03:44 PM
Recall the bad blood between he and Coolio over "Amish Paradise." Weird Al felt he had Coolio's permission, then he blasted Al for making fun of his "original" concept (of which Coolio sampled heavily from a Stevie Wonder track). So, I suppose M&M wants to keep his street cred by not letting Al mock his hard, in-your-face reality song, but he'll certainly take the royalties from Al's parody. Yet Reese's Pieces will mock Tom Green, Carson Daly, Christinaty Spearsalera in his own videos. Can you say 'hypocrite'? It's all about the Benjamins, baby. :greedy: :frus:

Look at who Weird Al Yankovic has outlasted:
Gerardo
Milli Vanilli
New Kids
Nirvana (okay, that's not truly fair)
Tiffany
Greg Kynn (sp?)
Crash Test Dummies
Extreme
Toni Basil
etc. etc.

EricRG
05-11-2003, 03:53 PM
Kihn

QLD
05-11-2003, 04:39 PM
Well, regardless, I am looking forward to the alblum. This may be the first CD I actually buy in AGES.

darthvyn
05-11-2003, 08:14 PM
Look at who Weird Al Yankovic has outlasted:
Gerardo
Milli Vanilli
New Kids
Nirvana (okay, that's not truly fair)
Tiffany
Greg Kynn (sp?)
Crash Test Dummies
Extreme
Toni Basil
etc. etc.

by etc. etc., you mean coolio, right? i think he pumped my gas the other day... ;)

JediTricks
05-12-2003, 07:51 PM
IIRC, Al thought he had permission to parody Gansta's Paradise because the label said it was OK without actually checking personally with Coolio - Al thought Coolio had personally signed off when it was just the execs who had given the green light. I thought Coolio's reaction towards the situation was immature and shortsighted, he lost a lot of respect for blaming and badmouthing Al over this in my opinion.

I met Weird Al once at the Wherehouse music at Sunset and La Brea, he was just shopping with his girlfriend around 9 at night - it was the only spontaneous autograph I've ever gotten, he was pretty cool about it but really lit up after I mentioned how much the family and I liked The Compleat Al. And get this, every pen we had was either empty or broken, it was like a bad plot-point in a cheesy sitcom (eventually, the clerk at the store found one that worked).

Dr Zoltar
05-13-2003, 01:39 PM
So what was his girlfriend like? I always wondered who would date Al because he's so -- well, weird! Though he is rich and famous too...

Bel-Cam Jos
05-13-2003, 07:50 PM
Isn't Al "Mr. & Mrs. Al Yankovic" now? So, is this his former-girlfiend now-wife, then?

Originally posted by Jedi Tricks:
it was like a bad plot-point in a cheesy sitcom (eventually, the clerk at the store found one that worked).
A Wherehouse clerk found a cheesy sitcom plot that worked? Wow... that's rare. :eek: :rolleyes:

scruffziller
05-14-2003, 11:07 AM
I know he IS married but I don't know if that was the same girlfriend.

El Chuxter
05-14-2003, 05:51 PM
I think that the girlfriend in The Naked Gun is credited as "Weird Leslie" or something like that, but I'm pretty sure this isn't his wife.

JediTricks
05-14-2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Dr Zoltar
So what was his girlfriend like? I always wondered who would date Al because he's so -- well, weird! Though he is rich and famous too... Über-normal, blonde (IIRC), neither ugly nor gorgeous - she didn't leave much of an impression on me at all except she seemed kinda sour in personality. She didn't seem to be having a good time before I approached him, and she didn't seem to be very happy after either. :p

Senator Jos made a funny, I'll have to file that away under "ha ha".

Like Scruff said, I dunno if this is the same woman he married 2 years ago, but this one did seem like she was with him for the long haul so I wouldn't be surprised if she was the same gal.

Teeska Mon Eebon
05-19-2003, 06:52 PM
The CD comes out tommarow doesn't it!?....

YAY!

El Chuxter
05-19-2003, 06:59 PM
KMart and Circuit City are the only places where it'll be on sale this week. $11.99 at both stores. I doubt you'll find it cheaper anywhere, unless Wal-Mart carries it.

Teeska Mon Eebon
05-19-2003, 08:53 PM
I hope It comes to Wal-Mart and/or Target becasue we don't have a KMart of Circut City :(

Teeska Mon Eebon
05-20-2003, 01:40 PM
Wlamart 14.88

It's Awsome!!!!!!!! Maybe the best fo far The eminim, spiderman, and Ebay songs are the best

He makes fun of France!

scruffziller
05-20-2003, 01:47 PM
Just listened to it and WERID AL DELIVERS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!
My absolute favorite is Trash Day the Nelly parody. I was laughing out loud all the way throug it. I guess why because
I can relate to it, trying to squeeze every inch out of your trash bag.
My other favs are what Teeska mentioned.
I would have to say this one doesn't seem to have really any "not so great" filler songs, they are all great!!!!!!

He really gets rather risque, for him that is, on WANNA B UR LOVER it was great!!!!!!:D

Teeska Mon Eebon
05-20-2003, 02:08 PM
A complicated song might help Avril Lavigne's popularity here...

scruffziller
05-20-2003, 02:16 PM
Does anyone know what song "Party at the Leper Colony" sounds like? I thought it was a parody of an old song. It might be a style a parody.

Dr Zoltar
05-20-2003, 04:03 PM
scruffziller,

It sounds like "I Want Candy" by some band I can't remember. All I remember about them is the lead singer was a 14 yo female.

This is a great album. I had to go to 2 K-Marts before I found a copy -- And I bought their only copy! Sales clerk told me they got 3 in and 2 were damaged.

scruffziller
05-20-2003, 04:06 PM
No it isn't that song it sounds like more of a song from the 50s, well maybe a little bit. The name of the group is called Bow Wow Wow. I know what you mean by damaged. My CD was fine but the jewel case cracked from me trying to open it. The plastic seems real cheap.

Does anybody know where I can find a download of TAKE ME DOWN from Weird Al? I've already tried Kaaza and Win MX.

Rogue II
05-20-2003, 04:41 PM
"Party at the Leper Colony" reminds me of 2 things...the beat is similar to "Hand Jive" but the style is more of old Bruce Springsteen or the Beaver Brown Band (from the movie EDDIE AND THE CRUISERS)

Ode to a Superhero and the Angry White Boy Polka are pretty good.

Teeska Mon Eebon
05-20-2003, 04:58 PM
Has anyone put it in the computer yet?

Rogue II
05-20-2003, 05:16 PM
I did. There are some Wierd Al home movies from when he was a kid. They are pretty funny. There is also a photo gallery, bonus remixes, and lyrics to all the songs.

jedicrippler
05-20-2003, 05:43 PM
Definitely a winner. The enhanced CD stuff is a nice bonus. The home movie stuff is great, MST3K stuff all the way. And scrolling lyrics while the songs play, perfect.

As for the "Genius in France" song, I read it's supposed to be a tribute to Frank Zappa. Makes sense, especially with the bit about wearing striped shirts & berets. And Dweezil doing the guitar bit at the beginning. "Bob" is also supposed to be a tribute to Bob Dylan, from what I've read.

"Party at the Leper Colony" is sick! I'm actually paying attention to the lyrics a bit here & man, that's some nasty stuff. Funny as hell though!:p Even my mother thinks she knows this tune, but she can't place it.

scruffziller
05-20-2003, 07:06 PM
Correction from above, does anyone know where I can get any of the unreleased songs listed here.

http://www.com-www.com/weirdal/parodied.html

and this one too.

http://www.com-www.com/weirdal/unreleased.html

El Chuxter
05-21-2003, 01:27 PM
Ach mein herr!

I've been listening to this one all morning. Not Al's best, but definitely better than Polka Party or In 3-D, but an awesome album all around.

My faves are definitely Bob (nice to see Dylan finally getting a nod, and the palindrome theme is hilarious), Wanna B Ur Lover, Genius in France, and Why Does This Always Happen to Me.

Hardware Store, Party at the Leper Colony, and Ebay didn't really do much for me.

Ode to a Superhero is a well-done parody, but after Yoda, Jurassic Park, and The Saga Begins, it's not quite up to expectations.

All this and the number twenty-seven, too! :happy:

I kinda figured Genius in France was intended as a parody of or homage to the late, great Frank Zappa. Weird vocals, xylophone, gratuitous-but-awesome guitar licks (some by Frank's son Dweezil), random style shifts, complete animosity to the French, repition of nonsense words, noises, poodles, "great googily moogily". . . . If Al's voice was a tad deeper, I'd think it was a lost track by Frank.

QLD
05-22-2003, 02:07 PM
I picked up the new CD today, and here are my early thoughts. I'll need to listen to it a few more times to really get a good feel of it.

My favorite song right now is ebay. I thought the quality of it was real good, and it was funny and well thought out.

I also like Complicated Song, Ode to a Superhero, Hardware Store, and Couch Potato.

I was not fond of genius in France, Part at the Lepper Colony, or the Angry WHite Boy Polka. Now I usually love the polkas, but maybe my talk radio listening is catching up with me. I didn't recognize over half of the songs in it. Also the pardody of "Hot in Here" (I can't recall the name at this moment), was pretty poor.

AN average alblum in my opinon so far, but like El Chuxter said, not his best, not his worst.

Dr Zoltar
05-22-2003, 03:58 PM
I'm going to have to agree with Lando. Ebay is great as well as Hardware Store. Genius in France, Party at the Lepper Colony, and Angry White Boy Polka -- Not so funny. But still worth picking up on sale.

scruffziller
05-23-2003, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by El Chuxter

Hardware Store, Party at the Leper Colony, and Ebay didn't really do much for me.

I agree that HS and Party were lesser but as a SW fan u gotta like EBAY!!!!!:(

The thing that Al does best is not so much the parodies themselves but when he picks a subject to write about he really gets the inside jokes good even if it is just one.

In EBAY,

I am the type who/ will liably snipe you/ with 2 seconds left to go.... Whoah...OH!!

Doing that to the familiar melody is pure magic. Anyone of us who has been on EBAY to get that Ephant Mon can relate to that line and laugh histerically.

But in my opinion he has never written a bad parody. And I don't think he ever will.

QLD
05-23-2003, 11:33 AM
Well, I have listened to it a few more times, and I can now revise some of my thoughts.

1- Couch Potato: I like this for the most part. The song feels a bit awkward at times, but there are some good lines, and for the most part, it's pretty darn funny.

"But I only watched Will and Grace one time, one day.....Wish I hadn't cuz tivo now thnks I'm ***"

I guess that line is funnier if you have a tivo ;)

2- Hardware Store: Every alblum always has one original song I really like on it, and this one is it. Most guys can relate to the hardware addiction. The music in this one is very solid, original, and the song itself is fun

3- Trash Day: I am on the fence with this one. As a parody, the effort feels forced and clumbsy. Some of the lines are pretty funny though, and I can certainly relate to not wanting to take the trash out. Kind of like "Livin' in the Fridge" felt to me, just average. I doubt I'll listen to the whole song often.

4- Party at the Leper Colony: I think Al was just under a bet to write a song about lepers. It's not particularly funny, and the musical choice for it is pretty poor in my opinion. One of the worst songs on the alblum, and I can't really bare to listen to it

5- Angry White Boy Polka: It's hard to say anything bad about the polkas, but I just don't like the song selection for it. I think he would have done better by going with more mainstream songs for it instead of what he did. Just my opinion though. Definately my lest favorite polka out of them all.

6- Wanna B UR LOVR: This one is average, and not bad for what it is. Just Al reciting a bunch of bad pick up lines to slow music. But some of them are hilarious, which makes the whole affair average to me.

"My love for you is like diarrhea.....I just can't hold it in."

7- A Complicated Song: I like this one a lot. At first I thought it was going to be pretty lame when he started singing about a pizza party, but it got really good. I like how it tells different stories throughout.

"Tell me why'd I have to go and get myself decapitated."
Good stuff.

8- Why Does This Always Happen to Me?: I like this song overall. The song starts out one way, and then totally goes the other way with the story, showing how selfish this guy is to an amazing level. Gotta love a song about someone whos friend gets killed in a car wreck, and he is upset because the guy owed him 5 bucks. Not a great song, but not a bad original.

9- Ode to a Superhero: Liek someone said earlier, it isn't as polished as "The Saga Begins", and again, the song feels forced at times. But I am a fan of "Piano Man", and it's nice getting a SPidey tribute paired with "Piano Man".

"Yes he's wearin' that dumb Power Rangers mask....but he's scarier without it on".....that line stole the song for me.

10- BOB: I started out bored with this song, but after a few more listens, I really like it. I am not a Dylan fan at all, but I think this is a wonderful parody of him, and it's a pretty catchy tune too.

11- EBay: Like I said earlier, I think this is the best song on the alblum. It flows perfectly, and it's a great parody. The music sounds great, and it's hilarious, especially to us EBay veterans.

12- Genius in France: I can't say I like this one either. It never really made me laugh at all, and the music just feels weird to me. I'll give it a few more trys, but right now it is barely above party at the leper colony for worst song on the alblum.

OVERALL, I like the alblum. It's in the middle of all of his alblums somewhere.

WOW! That was my longest post in months! but hey, Al deserves it.

El Chuxter
05-23-2003, 01:11 PM
Hmmm. . . . I'd think it's a safe wager that the main reason I like "Genius in France" is that it's such a dead-on Zappa. It has musical bits that sound like several different FZ songs, and if Weird Al were to go back to the 70s and convince FZ to cover it, it would've fit in perfectly on the Apostrophe or Over-Nite Sensation albums.

Zappa's got some really odd music, though, and it's definitely an acquired taste.

I'm enjoying the CD more as I keep listening to it, with only "Party at the Leper Colony" being a snoozer. I think my favorite line overall has to be "You'd look like the Venus de Milo/If I just cut off your arms."

scruffziller
05-23-2003, 01:25 PM
Yea u just gotta love that Weird Al morbid humor. I think this has to have the highest concentration of dark humor that he has done on any album.

The song Why does this always happen to me, is very similar to the song GOOD 'OL DAYS from the album EVEN WORSE.

Teeska Mon Eebon
05-23-2003, 09:17 PM
I agree with Lando in my Pants about the Nelly paradie, It was too forced.. I really thought that song had potential but unimpressed with his choice.

And again like others said this is the first polka I didn't like... Kinda sad about that but the only song I reconized was will the real slim shady please stand up, and I only know that one because the pseudo punks at school sing it ALL the time.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-24-2003, 09:52 AM
Like Lando I.M.P., I'll compile a list (Umm... list... )
1. "Couch Potato" - I always like the 'good' parodies, where Al does a great job of not necessarily sounding audibly like that artist, but by capturing their style. Here's a good example.

2. "Hardware Store" - Reminded me of "Traffic Jam." Okay, but not great.

3. "Trash Day" See #1 above. The woman's back up vocals were great, especially "the tra-ash out" line.

4. "Party at the Leper Colony" 'Not so good, Al' as was said in a Weezer video. The worst on the album, probably one of his poorest songs ever.

5. "Angry White Boy Polka" I LOVE the polkas! Well, the musical style iteslf is not all that great, but if artists realized how dumb their chocies of lyrics were by listening to them this way, maybe they'd change their tune, as the cliche' goes. The System of a Down song sounds awesome set to polka, and Papa Roach is a whining moan!

6. "Wanna B Ur Lover" Boring. You're boring everyone. Stop boring everyone!

7. "A Complicated Song" My personal fave on P.H.! I was laughing out loud, even on the second time. Again, he does a good job with this parody.

8. "Why Does This Always Happen to Me" Al is not just a happy-go-lucky parodist who is funny and weird; he has a morbid, sarcastic, acidity sometimes ("Melanie" and "Those Were the Good Old Days" come to mind). I liked it.

9. "Ode to a Super Hero" These are the ones I remember, even if the song's old (like "MacArthur Park" or "American Pie" were). Great.

10. "Bob" I am addicted to palidromes! Sit on a potato pan, Otis! A man, a plan, a canal; Panama! Level, radar, noon, Ana, racecar. I was listening very closely to this one.

11. "eBay" I also was LOL on this one! Laundry list songs, where there's just a lot of detail, are usually great.

12. "Genius in France" You know, I didn't like this one. Somehow it crossed a line for me. I don't dislike it, but it won't be on my all-time top 14 list (coming soon! )

Overall, "Poodle Hat" gets a 3 1/2 potatoes out of 5. :rolleyes:

P.S.

Originally posted by "Al-Hater" El Chuxter: ;)
Ach mein herr!
I've been listening to this one all morning. Not Al's best, but definitely better than Polka Party or In 3-D, but an awesome album all around.
In 3-D was one of the best! "Nature Trail to Hell"? "I Lost on Jeopardy"? "Midnight Star"? C'mon, El C! I can't believe you'd not agree with my own personal opinions and be your own individual with your own ideas! :p

Bel-Cam Jos
05-25-2003, 11:11 AM
I know everyone was eagerly awaiting my TOP 14 WEIRD AL SONGS list!

(Insert cricket sounds, one cough, here)

Ahem. So, without any further al-dieu...
1 One More Minute
2 I Lost on Jeopardy
3 Midnight Star
4 Yoda
5 Taco Grande
6 Eat It
7 Jurassic Park
8 Velvet Elvis
9 This Is the Life
10 (This Song's Just) Six Words Long
11 Melanie
12 Dare to Be Stupid
13 Good Old Days
14 (tie) You Make Me/ Nature Trail to Hell

I couldn't get 14 songs to fit, so I through in an extra one, just for good measure. The order is not really in order of favorite (except #1 is my fave). I didn't consider the Polkas, because they're a different category to themselves (perhaps another list? Noooooo, Bel-Cam! You're killing us! :dead: )

James Boba Fettfield
05-25-2003, 11:29 AM
I thought the songs he picked for the Angry White Boy Polka were perfect. He used the music of the nu metal and rap/rock bands, which I was hoping he'd include on this album somehow. My first listen through I heard songs by Limp Bizkit, Staind, Eminem, Disturbed, POD, System of a Down, Rage Against the Machine, and Kid Rock. I also recognized the lyrics where he's singing "I'm gonna get free," but I can't name the band, because it's one of those Vines/Hive/Stripes/etc groups, who I cannot distinguish. Besides those, there were quite a few lines I couldn't tell where they originated from. I liked the selection he picked, but I mostly listen to the radio stations that play rock music, so those groups have all had lots of air time in the past few years, mainly 2000-2002. If you don't listen to rock radio, then I can see why maybe, such as in LIMP's case, you wouldn't recognize the originals.

scruffziller
05-25-2003, 12:13 PM

In 3-D was one of the best! "Nature Trail to Hell"? "I Lost on Jeopardy"? "Midnight Star"? C'mon, El C! I can't believe you'd not agree with my own personal opinions and be your own individual with your own ideas! :p

Oh absolutely!!!!

Midnight Star is one of his best originals ever!!!!!!!
I love to sing it outloud when I am working the stock at Wal Mart.
When one of the songs that Al has parodied comes over the radio, I sing his version, it's great

Poodle Hat I would say is an overall better album than most of his albums as far as filler goes. Alot of his albums have one or 2 songs on it that you would just rather do without, (My Baby is in Love with Eddie Vedder, Airline Amy, She never Told Me She Was a Mime). None of the songs on Poodle Hat I feel this way about. The only problem is, it has the least energy of his albums. The songs are put together nicely, lyrics are clever as ever, but it just seems like he is starting to get weary of doing what he is doing. I mean after 20 years I would be. Party At The Leper Colony would be an incredible song if it was more upbeat like "Stuck In A Closet With Vanna White" or "I remember Larry". But like the Metallica albums, you really can't say you have a least favorite.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-26-2003, 10:03 AM
"Angry White Boy Polka" has, if I'm correct:
Papa Roach "Last Resort" ['Wish somebody would tell me I'm fine...' ]
Kid Rock "Bawiddabah" (sp?) ['Bawiddabah a bangadang biddy diggy diggy...' ]
System of a Down "Chop Suey!" ['Why'd you put your keys upon the table?/You wanted to...' ]
Limp Bizkit "My Way" ['I'm a do things my way, my way or the highway...' ]
P.O.D. "Youth of the Nation" ['We are, we are, the youth of the nation...' ]
Eminem "The Real Slim Shady" ['Please stand up, please stand up...' ]
Rage Against the Machine "Renegades of Funk" ['We're the renegades of funk...' ]
The Strokes "Last Night" ['Last night, she said, oh baby don't feel so down...' ]
The White Stripes "Fell in Love With a Girl" ['I said it once before, but it bears repeating...' ]
Disturbed "Down With the Sickness" ['Ooh, wah ahahah...' ]
Stained "Outside" ['Cause inside you're ugly, ugly like me...' ]
The Hives "Hate to Say I Told You So" ['Be ignored by the stiff and the bored cause I wanna...' ]

I could be wrong; like James Boba Fettfield, the White StrokeHives are the same group to me. But see what I mean about the awful lyrics? :confused: :p

James Boba Fettfield
05-26-2003, 06:05 PM
But see what I mean about the awful lyrics? :confused: :p

Polka Your Eyes Out was a good one, all because of these lyrics Al chose to include: Exit light, enter night, take my hand, we're off to Never, Never Land.

jedicrippler
05-26-2003, 07:02 PM
Ya know, the list of songs in the Polka is in the liner notes.:p

Last Resort - Papa Roach
Chop Suey! - System Of A Down
Get Free - The Vines
Hat To Say I Told You So - The Hives
Fell In love With A Girl - White Stripes
Lst Nite - The Strokes
Down With The Sickness - Disturbed
Renegades Of Funk - Rage Against The Machine
My Way - Limp Bizkit
Outside - Staind
Bawidaba - Kid Rock
Youth Of The Nation - P.O.D.
The Real Slim Shady - Eminem

:crazed:

Bel-Cam Jos
05-26-2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by jedicrippler
Ya know, the list of songs in the Polka is in the liner notes.:p

:crazed:
True, but did it include some lyrics from those songs and artists? See, I provide the extras that Mr. Big Shot Yankovic seems to think are unnecessary. ;)

p.s. I was listening to my "Off the Deep End" tape today, and it has an error! (It will be on sale on eBay in a few seconds) On the outside, the title of the song is listed as "Don't You Love me Anymore" instead of the correct title (which is printed with the lyrics inside) of "You Don't Love Me Anymore." Do I hear "minimum bid $7,000? :rolleyes:

jedicrippler
05-26-2003, 11:31 PM
True, but did it include some lyrics from those songs and artists? See, I provide the extras that Mr. Big Shot Yankovic seems to think are unnecessary. ;)

No lyrics needed, as the songs are listed in the order they appear in the polka.:p ;)

El Chuxter
05-27-2003, 11:48 AM
Bel-Cam, I cannot believe you didn't include "Good Enough for Now" in your top fourteen!

"Well, I couldn't live a single day without you
Actually, on second thought, well, I suppose I could
Anyway, what I'm trying to say is honey, you're the greatest
Well, at any rate, I guess you're pretty good"

Brings me to tears every time. :cry::Pirate:

smurfvader
05-27-2003, 03:53 PM
I just bought the album saturday (13.99$ at Compact Disc World) and listend to it Sunday. here's my thoughts. It's not his best album
Songs I liked
1) Party at the Leper Colony. It's sick and twisted (like most of his songs) and is full of bad puns.
2) Ode to a Superhero. Some of the lyrics could ahve been beter, but I love the chorus
3 Bob I like this only because the words are so random and best of all they're palindromes

Songs I didn't like
1)Genius in France. I'm not a Frank Zappa fan and I only know 1 song by him, but this song seemed too long. I stopped listening half way through
2) Angry White Boy Polka. I guess it's because I don't listen to this type of music that I only recognized maybe 4 songs. Although I did like his version of Slim Shady
3) Hardware Store I just didn't think it was funny
4)Trash Day. See reasons for 2 and 3
5) Couch Potato I just don't think this was one of his better parodys.

Songs I'm indifferent about
1) A complicated song. It started out funny with constipated then both related was funny, but he lost it at decapitated. I'm sure if he checked his dictionary he could have found another word to use that would have been funnier.
2)Wanna B Ur Lovr. Some great line and some stupid ones.
3) Ebay Kind of funny, but I"ve never bought anything on Ebay.

JIm
Ps Just to nitpick and correct me if I'm wrong, but Skeletal structure has nothing to do with someone being an ectomorh.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-01-2003, 10:03 PM
It's been exactly three years: :(

Originally posted at weirdal.com =
ASK AL
UPDATED
6/1/00
Your chance to ask Weird Al some questions!
Thanks to all of you who've submitted Ask Al questions over the last few years. Unfortunately, we will be discontinuing the monthly Q&A for a little while, as Al's production and touring schedule currently leaves precious little time for anything else. Plus, frankly, even with the thousands and thousands of questions coming in every month, it's getting increasingly difficult to find good ones that haven't been answered before.
(Underlining done by me) "For a little while"?!? Grr...
:frus:

p.s. My new sig line gives props to Al, old school.

scruffziller
06-04-2003, 03:15 PM
One of the best overlooked songs is SLIME CREATURES FROM OUTERSPACE. The lyrics are simplistic but the delivery is what makes it happen and for that makes the simplistic lyrics extremely funny!!!!!!!! What is interesting is that it almost tells the exact story of Independence Day.

I'D WISH THEY WOULD REALLY....................CUT IT OUT!!!!!!!!

scruffziller
06-10-2003, 03:18 PM
Here is the info that was given of why Eminem didn't want his video parodied.

"A lot of [Eminem]'s videos are very tongue-in-cheek," Weird Al said, "and he seems to have a great sense of humor, but he felt that a Weird Al video would somehow detract from his legacy and make people view him as a less serious hip-hop artist. I'm not exactly sure of the logic there, but those were his feelings and I have to respect that."

Teeska Mon Eebon
06-18-2003, 09:16 AM
Did anyone watch ALTV on VH1 last night? I dunno if it has aired before that or if it will air agian... but anyways you get to see two new music video's Bob and Angry White Boy Polka, Both were good but I really didn't get Bob in the first place so I have no Idea where the video came from. Oh and he aslo did a few interviews: Avril Laung(sp?), Brittney Spears, Justin Timberlake, Celine Deon, and Emenim. Emenim was the funniest because Weird al slid in a few funny little insults.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-18-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted on weirdal.com on June 16:
Now that the new album is out, Al has decided to once again dust off his pirate satellite broadcasting transmitter. Al has done 8 AL-TV specials on MTV since 1984, but this time he'll be breaking tradition and taking over the airwaves of VH1 instead. As usual, he'll be "interviewing" some of his close personal friends in the music biz, showing off the talents of his best-friend-in-the-whole-world Harvey the Wonder Hamster, and of course playing all the videos that HE wants to watch! The one-hour special will air on VH1 at the following times (all times are Eastern, satellite times may differ, so check your local listings):
June 17 11:00 AM
June 17 11:00 PM (official premiere)
June 18 3:30 PM
June 19 12:00 AM
June 23 10:00 PM
June 24 4:00 PM
June 26 1:00 AM

D'oh! Missed it! What was the "Bob" video like? I'd guess it had Al dropping cards with words written on them, right? Bob = Bob Dylan, just in case people weren't sure. Plus, bob is a palindrome, a word (or sometimes a sentence or phrase) read the same forwards and backwards.

A man, a plan, a canal; Panama!
!amanaP ;lanac a ,nalp a ,nam A

Dr Zoltar
06-18-2003, 01:10 PM
The Bob video is a spoof of an INXS video done in the late 80's. Can't remember the name of it though...

I was hoping to see a video for Hardware Store but at least we got to see Harvey the Wonder Hamster!

El Chuxter
06-18-2003, 01:18 PM
I remember the INXS video, which actually was an homage to the pre-MTV video of Dylan's "Subterranean Homesick Blues." Awesome! That's what I'd hoped a video for "Bob" would be. :D

Teeska Mon Eebon
06-18-2003, 03:33 PM
It's on in 5 muinets

Bel-Cam Jos
06-19-2003, 12:09 AM
The INXS video was for something (I think it was "What You Need" ), plus a short "Mediate" added on. The "try not to hate/love your mate" one where every line rhymes with "-ate." Michael Hutchings (sp?) drops the cards as the lyrics follow.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-19-2003, 12:24 PM
Oh god, AL TV is hilarious!!!!!!!!!!! I watched it twice and it was still funny the second time!!!!!

I will now adopt this phrase as my signature line:
"I made for you this Twinkie wiener sandwich!"
"I knew you'd make it, I knew you'd make it!"

Bel-Cam Jos
06-22-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally on starwars.com:
Clone War Details in Insider #69 June 20, 2003
Also in this issue is a Clone Wars EU timeline, a profile on Production Designer Gavin Bocquet, an interview with Star Wars parody songster Weird Al Yankovic and a new Clone Wars tale from Timothy Zahn called "Hero's Rise."
I hope he says more than Mr. Frump in the iron lung did! Will potatoes be a topic? Harvey the Wonder Womp Rat? The biggest ball of twine of Mitth'raw'nuruodo? :rolleyes:

Bel-Cam Jos
08-03-2003, 10:29 AM
I realized yesterday that I had not really listened to Bad hair Day very much, because as I had it on, I didn't recognize many of the songs. This got me to thinking, in a list sort of way (Really, Bel-Cam? You? Lists? Unbelievable. :rolleyes: ), what your favorite WAY albums are? Here's the list, minus singles and compilation ones:

Weird Al Yankovic
In 3-D
Dare to Be Stupid
Polka Party
Even Worse
UHF soundtrack
Alapalooza
Off the Deep End
Bad Hair Day
Running With Scissors
Poodle Hat

How would I rank them? Well...

1. In 3-D
2. Weird Al Yankovic
3. Even Worse
4. Dare to Be Stupid
5. UHF soundtrack
6. Off the Deep End
7. Poodle Hat
8. Alapalooza
9. Running With Scissors
10. Polka Party
11. Bad Hair Day

I notice a trend. Al's earliest ones seem to be at the top, while the current ones fir in the middle or end. I guess "Weird Al" Yankovic must be finished! Washed up! A has-been! I wonder how many times he's been labeled that way, and he keeps coming back. I usually like listening to them in big time parts, start with one CASSETTE TAPE and just keep flipping each side over, until I've been immersed in The Weird for hours. However, I've been listening to just one at a time lately, so maybe that's what's tainted my rankings.

Teeska Mon Eebon
08-03-2003, 11:30 PM
:( :( :( :( I missed the one near me it is going on right now and the worse part is I just got back from the city it was in from a mission trip :( :( :(

Dr Zoltar
08-04-2003, 02:44 AM
Whoo-hoo! Weird Al is coming to the Puyallup Fair this year in September! Maybe I'll have to pick up a couple of tickets...

El Chuxter
08-04-2003, 11:44 AM
My rankings:
1. Running With Scissors
2. Bad Hair Day
3. Off the Deep End
4. Dare to Be Stupid
5. Even Worse
6. Alapalooza
7. In 3-D
8. UHF soundtrack
9. Poodle Hat
10. Weird Al Yankovic
11. Polka Party

I also love the maxi-single for "Amish Paradise" with the classic "The Night Santa Went Crazy (Extra Gory Version)."

"Yes, Virginia, now Santa is dead
An FBI agent put a bullet through his head"

El Chuxter
08-15-2003, 03:17 PM
Holy crap in a hat! I never knew it was for real!! :eek:

http://www.startribune.com/stories/1615/783756.html

http://www.motelmag.com/articles/twineball.html

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/MNDARtwine.html

http://www.subtrivial.com/subman/picscoll/ball_of_twine.htm

http://www.wlra.us/wl/wltwineball.htm

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Theater/5805/main.html

http://www.weirdal.com/twine1.htm

http://www.cheapertrip.com/minnesota.html

Apparently the Mecca of Albino Squirrels, Poodle Dog Rock, the Boll Weevil Monument, the Tupperware Museum, Cranberry World, and the place where you can drive through the middle of a tree all exist as well! (But you'll have to do your own searching for those.) :sur:

Bel-Cam Jos
08-15-2003, 05:54 PM
So there really is a Twine Ball Inn?! :eek: And the guy who rolled the ball died one day after Weird Al's birthday in 1989. :sur: I wonder when someone will sell the Spatula City billboard near Broken Arrow, OK on eBay!
As for other strange-but-true Weird Al details, I heard that there really is a guy named Bob-something who sings even worse (Close Personal Friends of Al will recognize that) than Al did on his "Poodle Hat" CD! But I doubt that. No one could be THAT bad! :happy:

El Chuxter
08-15-2003, 05:56 PM
I remember once when driving cross-country (either to or from college, I disremember which), I saw the Spatula City sign and almost wrecked I was laughing so hard.

Jon
08-17-2003, 09:08 AM
I just got some tix from my brother in law, we are going to the weird al show in detroit next friday the 22nd. Hopefully all our power stays on.

Rogue II
08-17-2003, 02:41 PM
This article was in today's Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A64046-2003Aug15.html

scruffziller
08-17-2003, 07:24 PM
Holy crap in a hat! I never knew it was for real!! :eek:
Apparently the Mecca of Albino Squirrels, Poodle Dog Rock, the Boll Weevil Monument, the Tupperware Museum, Cranberry World, and the place where you can drive through the middle of a tree all exist as well! (But you'll have to do your own searching for those.) :sur:

I knew they were because in the AL IN THE BOX box set book that comes with it, when talking about the song he says they are real places and even when listening to the song I knew I had heard of some of them somewhere.

Dr Zoltar
08-18-2003, 01:28 PM
I just got some tix from my brother in law, we are going to the weird al show in detroit next friday the 22nd. Hopefully all our power stays on.

I'll be seeing him as well on Sept. 9th at the Puyallup Fair Grounds. I wonder how many people will show up for this? The grandstand is free but to be in the main area on the ground was $10.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-19-2003, 04:59 PM
I saw Al (sigh... ) at the Perris Fair in 199something and it was great! I actually saw him (sigh... ) 1 1/2 times; I heard the earlier concert from the outside. So I guess that means I heard him 1 1/2 times. It's probably a small stage, so you can get a better view of him (sigh... ) He's the dreamiest... (sigh... ) ;)

But he wouldn't play "Yoda," no matter how much we whined and begged and cajoled. :mad: I'm torn.

plasticfetish
08-19-2003, 06:11 PM
He's the dreamiest... (sigh... )
OK, ok, ok ... don't tell anybody this, but a long time ago I worked on one of Weird Al's videos. It was the video for "Gump" and I'll admit that Al seemed to be a very pleasant sort of guy. But I don't know about him being "the dreamiest." He was actually kind of ... errr ... weird.

Jon
08-23-2003, 08:57 AM
I went to the Weird Al show last night and it was absolutely excellent! There are some sick fanboys of Al out there. One guy came dressed completely as Popeye, why I have no idea, he even had the bulging arms and pipe. Nevertheless a great time. For his encore he came out in Jedi Robes and played both The Saga Begins & Yoda. What I thought was real good was he pulled out some older songs. Melony, Dog Eat Dog, My Bologna and Theme to Rocky! He also played some lesser known current songs that I thought were great, The Horoscope song, Wanna Be Your Lover, and The Party at the Leper Colony which sounds real good live. Plus a ton of Poodle Hat stuff and his usual songs he has videos for, except Bedrock Anthem. A GREAT SHOW. If you haven't seen Al it is a must see. It's just 2 hours of fun and laughter. And the comedy bits between costume changes are maybe even the best part of the whole show. SEE HIM!!!! It's great.

hamsterboy
08-25-2003, 03:40 AM
Nuts! He was at a casino in Biloxi,MS(about 400 mi. from me) earlier in the month. I'm sure that would've been a great place to see him.

Dr Zoltar
09-10-2003, 05:07 PM
Well I saw Weird Al last night at the Western Washington Fair. Holy freakin' crap was it awesome. The place was packed (10,000 people) and he played songs from every single album of his. Kids as young as 6 were singing along. There was a couple in their 50's in front of me that almost fell out of their seats laughing.

Al had many costume changes -- Everything from Michael Jackson (Eat It and Fat), Talking Heads (Dog Eat Dog), EMENEM, Kurt Cobain, a lounge lizard (for that new pick-up line song), a pizza delivery guy (making fun of that Celine Titanic song), and for the finale, Jedi costumes. Seems he even got some members of the 501st Legion to show up and dance in the background. Vader, a few StormTroopers, a Biker Scout, and an Imperial Dignitary were there. Of course the encore was The Saga Begins and Yoda.

He also interacted with the crowd a lot more than previously. He came into the audience at least 5 times for various songs, sitting in peoples laps, etc. Just amazing.

If you like Weird Al, DO NOT MISS THIS TOUR!

Bel-Cam Jos
10-23-2003, 07:21 PM
First of all, Happy 44th Al! (And happy birthday to Bel-Cam, too. What were the odds?) Next, I had an Al-piphany today. I have no idea why, but for some reason "I Want a New Duck" has been going through my mind today (and I don't really like the song much) and I got it. There's a lyric that says:

One who'll teach me how to swim and help me not to drown
And show me how to get down
How to get down baby
Get it?
Now I get it! And only after 15+ years, too! :eek:

Do you get it?

James Boba Fettfield
10-23-2003, 07:59 PM
Duck=gets down

ha ha, I never even realized that "get it" part was in there, but it gave me a chuckle trying to understand what you were getting at.

scruffziller
12-29-2003, 10:20 AM
Just picked up the Complete Collection of Al's videos on DVD!!!!!!!!
Even had the video for BOB.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-31-2003, 11:31 AM
Just picked up the Complete Collection of Al's videos on DVD!!!!!!!!
In a store or online? I'd be interesting to see an in-store display for this one!

scruffziller
12-31-2003, 03:44 PM
In a store or online? I'd be interesting to see an in-store display for this one!
Got it at Wal-Mart.:p

Bel-Cam Jos
02-12-2004, 07:57 PM
Weird Al wins a Grammy and there's no comment? Where's the love, fellow CPFofA? :( (No comment that it took me a week to post about it though! :p)

El Chuxter
02-12-2004, 08:06 PM
Hmm, looks like it took someone a week to notice that! :beard:

Forgive my ignorance, but how many does this make for Master Yankovic?

JediTricks
02-12-2004, 10:56 PM
It's not that I don't care about Weird Al... it's that I don't care about the Grammies. :D

Dr Zoltar
02-13-2004, 02:34 PM
It's not that I don't care about Weird Al... it's that I don't care about the Grammies. :D
Ditto. I stopped following the Grammies (and all other award shows) some time ago.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-14-2004, 07:41 PM
Hmm, looks like it took someone a week to notice that! :beard:

Forgive my ignorance, but how many does this make for Master Yankovic?
I told you not to comment on that! My second cousin told me that once. Once. :p

I believe he has three now.

From weirdal.com =
AL WINS ANOTHER GRAMMY!!!
"Poodle Hat" has just won the Grammy for Best Comedy Album! This is Al's third Grammy win (the others being Best Comedy Recording in 1984 for "Eat It" and Best Concept Video in 1988 for "Fat").
And this confirms it.

"Master Yankovich, I heard Bob talking about palindrones. What are palindrones?"

Bel-Cam Jos
04-11-2004, 10:01 AM
Some very sad news for Al (http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20040411010709990002)
Thoughts and prayers with you and your family, Mr. Yankovic. :cry:

darthvyn
04-11-2004, 10:37 AM
here's a link for people like me who avoid AOL like the plague that it is...

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2004/04/10/news/top_stories/19_55_164_9_04.txt

that's so sad!

JediTricks
04-11-2004, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the link darthvyn, the AOL one wasn't opening for me.

That's terrible news, how awful. They seemed so nice and genuine about their son in The Compleat Al, it doesn't seem fair to take that away - especially with something so preventable.

scruffziller
04-12-2004, 10:03 AM
That is sad.........:cry:
My prayers go out to Al.:zzz:

Kidhuman
04-12-2004, 07:40 PM
Horrible news. Thoughts and prayers to Mr. yankovich.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-12-2004, 08:15 PM
Sorry about the faulty AOL link.

This was a note on the weirdal.com site (hope this one works):
Message from Al (http://www.weirdal.com/msg.htm)

darthvyn
04-13-2004, 01:49 AM
i think the aol link only works if you have an aol account - nothing faulty with you, just aol ;)

that note from al was really heart felt. :cry:

scruffziller
06-29-2004, 08:50 AM
I understand that Al's wife is on the front cover of the Poodle Hat album but not sure which one she is? ANybody know.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-29-2004, 11:16 AM
I understand that Al's wife is on the front cover of the Poodle Hat album but not sure which one she is? ANybody know.

"Ask Al" Q&As for July 5, 2003

Bobbi Jordan of Boardman, OR asks: Will you identify for us the people on the cover of Poodle Hat?

Well, let’s see… the guy with the poodle on his head would be me. The very pregnant woman with the sunglasses is my wife Suzanne. The guy in the surgical scrubs is my friend Joel Miller. The woman in the foreground with her legs crossed is my first-cousin- once-removed Tammy (who also played Queen Amidala in my video for “The Saga Begins”). UH Jeff, the guy that screens my fan mail, is the guy wearing the NY Yankees cap way in the back. Steve Jay’s son Ian is the really tall blond bicycle messenger. Tracy Berna, one of the writers for the Weird Al Show, is the waitress with the beehive hair-do. The Boy Scout is Dylan Bostick, the oldest son of one of Suzanne’s oldest friends. Bermuda’s wife Leslie is in there too. Plus there’s my mother-in-law, my father-in-law, my electrician, a couple from my church, the owner of my favorite ice cream shop, my aunt’s boyfriend… I think we got maybe 2 or 3 people from the casting office, but the overwhelming majority were friends and family members that just wanted to come to the shoot.
There you go! :)

scruffziller
06-30-2004, 09:50 AM
Thanx Bel-Cam. I can only see her face that she has sunglasses and can't tell from that picture though that she was pregnant.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-17-2004, 10:09 PM
It's an old detail, and perhaps one that many of you already were aware of, but I was channel surfing the other day, and on the Sci-Fi Channel, they had an old Amazing Stories episode. I'd forgotten that Weird Al was an intergalactic beauty contest organizer, complete with lettuce-type hairstyle! How "the years go by, but the memory fades" for me... :confused: and why wasn't that on the videos DVD?

scruffziller
07-18-2004, 01:59 PM
but the memory fades"
...and those were the good ol' days......:D One of Al's greatest dark humor songs.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-16-2005, 07:57 PM
Do you realize it's been over a year now since Al's parents died? Time is movin' fast, my [Close Personal] friends [of Al]...

BTW, does ANYONE update the website anymore? Last time I clicked on a new item, it was that the Bad Hair Day tour was wrapping up (just kidding... it was the Running With Scissors one :p ).

Bel-Cam Jos
10-23-2005, 09:42 AM
I hope Al is stocking up on the brocc-o-li and drinking lots of beer, because it's Weird Al's Birthday Bonanza time again! Happy anniversary of your first-ever doctor slap and outdoor oxygen party! (read: being born :pleased: )

So, when's the new record (or 8 trac) (or tape) (or album) (or CD) (or dual disc DVD) (or MP3 download) comin' out?

p.s. Did any W.A.Y. albums ever make it to 8 trac? :confused:

darthvyn
10-23-2005, 09:56 AM
i don't know but there's a lot of news on his site...

http://www.weirdal.com/latenews.htm

especially about the fact that all his songs are available on iTunes:

AL ON ITUNES!
Do you hate owning CDs? Are they just too round and three-dimensional for you? Well, good news! Al's complete catalog is now available for the first time ever as digital downloads exclusively at iTunes! That's right, every last stinking one of Al's albums can now be downloaded (LEGALLY, you hooligans!!) right to your computer. How about that.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-08-2006, 10:42 AM
Since Al news seems to come s..l...o...w...l...y these days:

From http://www.weirdal.com/home.htm

THE WEIRD AL SHOW... ON DVD!
Holy cow... really? You mean the entire 13-episode run of Al's 1997-98 CBS Saturday Morning kids' show, in a spiffy DVD package with commentaries and junk?? Yes, that's exactly what we mean. The good folks at Shout! Factory will be releasing it later this year... stay tuned!

I have few memories of that show, and most of what I do recall were related to Harvey the WH or videos of his songs that had not yet been made into videos. Odd... but very Al-esque.

scruffziller
07-11-2006, 11:44 AM
Al's been working on 10 new songs for the upcoming album.

Has anybody heard this yet???

http://media.thechrispirilloshow.com/mp3/yourepitiful.mp3

JimJamBonds
07-11-2006, 12:22 PM
No I wasn't aware of that Scruff thanks for the update!

Rogue II
07-11-2006, 12:24 PM
My wife said he was on that Extreme Makeover show last weekend. I was wondering if he had a new album coming out or something.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-11-2006, 12:42 PM
Al's been working on 10 new songs for the upcoming album.

Has anybody heard this yet???

http://media.thechrispirilloshow.com/mp3/yourepitiful.mp3There could be a new Al/Coolio type feud between he and James Blount. Blount's label doesn't want him to release "You're Pitiful" while James said it's fine. So Al put it as a downloadable song online.

BTW, Vegas has 3-1 odds on a Weird Al/James Blount celebrity boxing match. ;)

El Chuxter
07-11-2006, 12:51 PM
That's a bit too easy for Al. James Blunt's already pititful, so it's too obvious. :)

Bel-Cam Jos
07-11-2006, 07:31 PM
That's a bit too easy for Al. James Blunt's already pititful, so it's too obvious. :)And "Ricky," "Like a Surgeon," or "I Lost on Jeopardy" weren't? Occam's Razor, my friends, Occam's Razor.

BTW, I agree about Mr. Blunt's pitifulity. :o

scruffziller
07-12-2006, 08:22 AM
BTW, I agree about Mr. Blunt's pitifulity. :o

Actually Blunt is not to blame at all. Blunt has no problem with him releasing the song. It's the suits at the label to blame. Read below.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a career spanning more than 25 years, pop-music parodist "Weird Al" Yankovic hasn't exactly ranked among the music business' fiercest iconoclasts: He doesn't release his song parodies without the consent of the artists being parodied, and he's rarely used the Internet as more than a tool to promote his projects and connect with his fans. But a music label's efforts to block a (relatively tame) parody of James Blunt's ubiquitous hit "You're Beautiful" has Yankovic fighting back publicly, and using his Web site as a tool to do so.

According to Yankovic, Blunt himself gave his blessing to a song called "You're Pitiful" (audio), which was to appear on Yankovic's now-finished but as-yet-unreleased new album. But after Yankovic finished recording the parody, Atlantic Records, Blunt's label, told Yankovic that he couldn't release "You're Pitiful." Though Yankovic has encountered resistance from artists before -- after a miscommunication involving permissions, Coolio publicly objected to a released parody of "Gangsta's Paradise," while Prince has always turned down Yankovic's requests to parody his hits -- he says this is the first time a label has stepped in to squash the release of one of his parodies. (Quoth an Atlantic representative: "We have no comment on this matter.")

So how, exactly, does a music label have a say in whether one of its artists can be parodied?

"The legality in this case is somewhat moot," Yankovic writes when contacted via e-mail. "James Blunt could still let me put it on my album if he really wanted to, but he obviously doesn't want to alienate his own record company... and my label could release the parody without Atlantic's blessing, but they don't really want to go to war with another label over this. So really, it's more of a political matter than a legal matter."

Of course, it's not hard to circulate a song these days, and Yankovic has helped that process along by making an MP3 of the track available for free download on his Web site. It may not appear on Yankovic's new album, but "You're Pitiful" will still swirl around in cyberspace long after Blunt's original recedes from memory.

"I have a long-standing history of respecting artists' wishes," Yankovic writes. "So if James Blunt himself were objecting, I wouldn't even offer my parody for free on my Web site. But since it's a bunch of suits -- who are actually going against their own artist's wishes -- I have absolutely no problem with it."

El Chuxter
07-12-2006, 09:19 AM
No, when I said Blunt was pitiful, I was referring to the fact that he's whiny and annoying. I'd rather listen to my own feet in a trash compactor than his music. :)

Bel-Cam Jos
07-12-2006, 01:24 PM
No, when I said Blunt was pitiful, I was referring to the fact that he's whiny and annoying. I'd rather listen to my own feet in a trash compactor than his music. :)Ditto. And you know that Al will now include that as a lyric in his next self-depreciating song...

"I'd rather rip my feet right off of my legs and then throw them in a trash compactor and listen to it until I die... unghk!" :D

And no one called me to the carpet for making up a fake word? :o

darthvyn
07-12-2006, 02:54 PM
no. pitifulity is a perfectly cromulent word.

El Chuxter
07-12-2006, 03:00 PM
Indorgubably.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-13-2006, 01:40 PM
And I exceppreiate all your pleascommentionary.

p.s. Anyone watching the new "I Love the 70s, Volume 2" on VH1? They have Al making decent comments for a change (even signing along with some songs).

scruffziller
07-21-2006, 09:37 AM
Go to the website. There is a teaser. Looks like his album is being released 9/26/06.

scruffziller
07-22-2006, 09:47 AM
Go to the website. There is a teaser. Looks like his album is being released 9/26/06.

The album is called STRAIGHT OUTTA LYNWOOD. Looks HILARIOUS!!

JediTricks
07-22-2006, 04:26 PM
Way to stay timely, Al, Straight Outta Compton is 17 years old! :p

It is a funny title though.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-22-2006, 11:17 PM
Go to the website. There is a teaser. Looks like his album is being released 9/26/06.Is it on the main site, or his myspace one? I didn't see it on the main site's News page, nor the home page.

Way to stay timely, Al, Straight Outta Compton is 17 years old! :p Maybe he'll talk about the "sub-urbanization" of our nation's youth today: be hardcore old schoolers like L.L., 'Cube, and Ice Tea, then star in family movies rated PG, 'g! :pleased:

JediTricks
07-23-2006, 03:05 PM
Yeah, I've seen a lot of family movies with Dre, Ren, and the D.O.C.. :p And when was the last time you saw Ice-T starring in a PG movie, or LL Cool J? (Though LL's the one who would, that's for sure :p but he was never really THAT hardcore to begin with, so he has leeway to pull it off that I don't think Ice Cube enjoys, Ice Cube had to EARN his way back into "proper" society in that respect)

Bel-Cam Jos
07-24-2006, 09:06 AM
I owe myself a BSLOS for typing his name as "Ice Tea." It's lucky I haven't been shot down yet for that! :dead:

"If you wanna piece of my heart
You better start from the start."

Does that cop show that Ice-T's in on NBC count as a "PG" movie, JT? Maybe I should've used Coolio or MC Hammer (excuse me, "Hammer" was his hardcore name :rolleyes: ) as examples...

JediTricks
07-24-2006, 03:07 PM
Does that cop show that Ice-T's in on NBC count as a "PG" movie, JT? Maybe I should've used Coolio or MC Hammer (excuse me, "Hammer" was his hardcore name :rolleyes: ) as examples...You mean Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, whose original name was "Sex Crimes Unit" until NBC threw a fit? No, not PG. :p

Coolio - not hardcore, not much PG acting under his belt (thankfully, the guy is a terrible actor and should be kept from acting in anything if at all possible).

Hammer - laughable hardcore, saddest thing ever, and what movies has he done exactly? And no, I won't give you "Hammerman", his cartoon, as an entry. ;)

El Chuxter
07-24-2006, 04:34 PM
Does his show on TBN count?

scruffziller
07-25-2006, 08:39 AM
Is it on the main site, or his myspace one? I didn't see it on the main site's News page, nor the home page.

It's on both of them.

JediTricks
07-25-2006, 02:43 PM
Does his show on TBN count?Is it entertaining? No. ;)

Bel-Cam Jos
07-27-2006, 11:02 PM
Ice Cube had that Are We There yet? or something, LL Cool J had Toys, and I really thought Ice-T did a semi-family film; guess not. And yeah, Hammer was never hardcore... no one with a dress-up action figure/doll can be. :rolleyes:

But remember, Al often takes a softer side in his paradies, even when he's tryig to be hardcore, so he can adapt things to his desires.

JediTricks
07-28-2006, 04:37 PM
LL Cool J had Toys1) I still maintain Ladies Love Cool James was never hardcore.
2) Toys was unbearable, and any children who saw it had their youth instantly ripped from them.

El Chuxter
07-28-2006, 04:45 PM
Remember when LL Cool J was trying to be all family-friendly in the mid 90s, when he had a sitcom on one of the upstart networks? The funniest thing he ever did was release a gangsta song with the Red Hot Chili Peppers (minus Kiedis) on the soundtrack to Howard Stern's Private Parts under the ubiquitous name of "_____." But if you look at the songwriting credits, there's his real name. And if you're totally dense, he drops his name a few times in the song.

Off-subject, my brother-in-law is often mistaken for LL Cool J.

JediTricks
07-28-2006, 08:45 PM
"In the House" on NBC and then UPN, it actually ran 4 years if you can believe it! I watched 1 ep, I still have nightmares.

Tell your brother-in-law that we're all sorry for making that mistake, he deserves better. ;)

scruffziller
07-29-2006, 04:38 PM
1) I still maintain Ladies Love Cool James was never hardcore.

Not so. You must have never heard Walking With a Panther. I listened to this album religiously every day. And it is very hardcore. Almost 2 Live Crew level. Now granted, albums prior and after were not but this was.

Darth Instigator
08-11-2006, 08:38 PM
You guys here the new song, Your Ptitful? If not I upped it to my site for you to DL, enjoy, its hilarious

download here (http://www.meogee.com/mikecp/yourpitiful.zip)

Bel-Cam Jos
08-14-2006, 07:32 PM
Tomorrow, The Weird Al Show DVD comes out. Hooray? I mean, hooray! I recall some of these episodes, but not many... I was out of my Saturday morning TV watchin' days then.

Darth Instigator
08-14-2006, 07:38 PM
I cant believe I wrote here instead of hear in my last post, I hate when people do that and I did it, lol!

DarthQuack
08-14-2006, 08:15 PM
That song was hilarious, I loved it!

JimJamBonds
08-14-2006, 11:44 PM
I just checked and no news yet on a Weird Al tour... I'd love to see him live.

Darth Instigator
08-15-2006, 09:39 AM
yea he comes to Jones Beach by me too, so I will definitely go see him this year!

Bel-Cam Jos
08-15-2006, 11:37 AM
I just checked and no news yet on a Weird Al tour... I'd love to see him live.I saw him once (technically twice... it was at a county fair and he'd performed the same set earlier in the day), and it was cool. I think once the new album (I canNOT call it anything else... not the new CD... it's always gonna be album to me [steps off soapbox] :tired: ) comes out, we'll "here" more (Darth Inst, that will balance your karma now! ;) ).

STRAIGHT OUTTA LYNWOOD
The New Album – In Stores September 26

darthvyn
08-15-2006, 11:56 AM
yea he comes to Jones Beach by me too, so I will definitely go see him this year!

it's much better at westbury music fair... smaller place, and in-the-round... i saw his show there once (almost twice... my dad wouldn't give us the tickets until the day of the concert, and since his "infallable" PDA said it was sunday, he gave us the tickets two days after the show... :rolleyes: :mad: )

Darth Instigator
08-15-2006, 01:59 PM
I think once the new album (I canNOT call it anything else... not the new CD... it's always gonna be album to me [steps off soapbox] :tired: ) comes out, we'll "here" more (Darth Inst, that will balance your karma now! ;) ).
lol, thanks

jedi master sal
08-16-2006, 08:25 AM
My fiancee and I are excited about this. She's a big time fan and close personal friend of Al's. I even have a picture with him where I'm wearing my Jedi costume and he signed the toy lightsaber I brought to the show. I've seen him 3 times and I think my fiancee has seen him 5 times. At least 4 though.

It's good to see he went back to a moustache. He didn't seem as "Weird Al" without it.

Also, anyone else notice that the initials to the album Straight Out of Lynwood are SOL! Ha, now that's funny. Also on the license plate on the cover of the album if NLY, that's his daughters initials.

The new song "Your Pitiful" is funny. Very much Weird Al.

-Weird Sal...

Darth Instigator
08-16-2006, 04:19 PM
oops I hope this isnt considered pirating his song? I was just sharing something someone sent me, I love Weird Al have since I was little, and I will definitely support his album by buying it

El Chuxter
08-16-2006, 04:53 PM
He's got it available for free download from weirdal.com, so I doubt it's considered piracy unless you try to sell it.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-16-2006, 06:02 PM
Tomorrow, The Weird Al Show DVD comes out. Hooray? I mean, hooray!I went to the store.
I couldn't find the display.
So I looked a little more.
And found it on the elf-shay.

It's a live-action kids' show.
Quite over the top.
The best way, you know
To enjoy it is to stop

And choose the Commentary option.
There's a few big stars
Who get in on the action
I stopped watching before I got far...s?

[Don't ask me why I started bad poetry :confused: ]

It's a DVD of a TV show. Not too bad, but I have a feeling I won't be breakin' out this baby all too often. Not many "special features," of which I was a tad sad [stop rhyming! :mad: ].

Darth Instigator
08-18-2006, 07:21 AM
He's got it available for free download from weirdal.com, so I doubt it's considered piracy unless you try to sell it.

ok didn't know, I got it from a friend, good to know

Bel-Cam Jos
08-18-2006, 11:34 AM
ok didn't know, I got it from a friend, good to knowLegal precedence has shown that in cases where any property that later is determined to have been stolen, the "I got it from a friend" defense is sufficient. :D Good to know, eh?

Wonder when W.A.Y. will do an online piracy song? Or a parody of one of his OWN parodies... idea!

SWAFMAN
08-27-2006, 12:22 PM
I played a weird al cassette on a long road trip with the kids one time, years ago. Since then, it became sort of a tradition to play that tape whenever we'd drive a somewhere for a vacation. I got tired of the same tape over and over (kids seem to have a better capacity to watch/listen to the same stuff again and again), so I got mp3's of every weird al song I could find. I found mp3's of the original artist's version of each song parody, and made 4 CDs called "Weird Al: Back-to-Back". It has the original version followed by the parody. A few of the songs are by other parody artists like Bob Rivers. The kids don't have much patience for some of the lame originals, but it's a good way to expose them to some music they otherwise would probably never listen to on their own.

SWAFMAN
08-27-2006, 12:37 PM
Legal precedence has shown that in cases where any property that later is determined to have been stolen, the "I got it from a friend" defense is sufficient. :D Good to know, eh?

Wonder when W.A.Y. will do an online piracy song? Or a parody of one of his OWN parodies... idea!

I don't advocate p2p file sharing that violates copyright laws.
Just out of curiosity, though, I noticed KaZaA took a huge legal hit recently, and that file sharing using all KaZaA derivatives is basically shutdown.

Some people that used KaZaA (or maybe Kazaa Lite K++ with DietK add-on) for many years to find music or video files, might be wondering what would be a good alternative p2p sharing solution that offers decent anonymity and no spyware/adware with the client?

scruffziller
09-26-2006, 10:57 AM
Picked up the album today. Make sure to get the Dual Disk version. 1 side DVD other side CD. A pretty good album, not the best out of the lot by far but not the lesser. It seems that Al might be getting weary of his craft and it seems to show in his creativity but he still seems to come up with great stuff irregardless. Besides all the songs they have been playing(which are my favs) "Virus Alert" and "Weasel Stomping Day" are my favs on the album itself.
Go to his MYSPACE.COM/WEIRDAL to check out the White and Nerdy vid!!!
He spoofs the Star Wars Kid!!! And, a scene where he goes into a back alley and makes a seemingly down-low transaction. What's in the bag? The Star Wars Holiday Special!!!!!!!:D

Rogue II
09-26-2006, 11:16 AM
For anyone that has access to XM radio, Weird Al will be on the 80s channel at 7pm eastern. I'm pretty sure DirecTV carries that channel. Or, you might be able to listen using the free 3 day trial here (http://www.xmradio.com/programming/channel_page.jsp?ch=8)

Bel-Cam Jos
09-27-2006, 10:27 PM
I love it when W.A.Y. gets organized. He still keeps his albums (yup, you heard me right... they'll always be albums to me) in the same pattern:

track #5, 6, or 7 will be his polka remix of current songs (since the last one on a tape or LP often was, and his albums have around 10 to 12 songs)

track 10 or higher will be a rambling stream-of-consciousness masterpiece (his new "Stuck in the Drive-Thru" isn't quite as good as "Albuquerque," but beats "Genius in France" hands down... and is my fave of all of them on S.O.L.)

It took me three stores to find it (one Best Buy was SOLD OUT of all their copies by 4pm). Haven't tried out the DVD side yet. But I am already getting them stuck in my head; excellent! It's like getting closer to the drive thru! (did I mention the drive thru?).

El Chuxter
09-28-2006, 09:27 AM
Neither Target nor Wal-Mart seem to carry this, so looks like I'll have to go online or make the drive into town. BCJ, the Best Buy in question wouldn't happen to be the one in San Bernardino, would it?

scruffziller
09-28-2006, 02:51 PM
Neither Target nor Wal-Mart seem to carry this, so looks like I'll have to go online or make the drive into town. BCJ, the Best Buy in question wouldn't happen to be the one in San Bernardino, would it?

Yea as luck would have it, the incompetence of my Wal-Mart employees paid off. Since they did not put out any new releases on the shelf, the dept. manager was able to get it for me in the back and right to my hands!!!:thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
09-30-2006, 11:54 AM
BCJ, the Best Buy in question wouldn't happen to be the one in San Bernardino, would it?Sorry for the delayed reply, but I had been "Calling in Sick Today" for the past 3 days to listen to S.O.L. :D Nope, it's the one in "a slimy mudhole that rhymes with Sancho Bucagunga." I eventually found it at the Montclair BB, with only 4 other copies left. Could this be W.A.Y.'s best selling album ev-er?

"Stuck in the Drive Thru" is still my fave.

Slicker
09-30-2006, 08:00 PM
I don't care if it's been posted here but his new video makes me literally ROFL!!

White and Nerdy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWs1FF-BS7c)

Bel-Cam Jos
09-30-2006, 08:35 PM
VH-1's (motto: We'll go back to videos when we do a "I Love the Videos" retrospective) Best Week Ever show gave this week's recognition to Weird Al. Several of their "experts" (what would be an appropriate name for the semi-celebs who comment on all things entertainment? :confused: ) actually gave some real mad props to W.A.Y.

I have still to check out the 6 videos and other extras on the dual disc.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-06-2006, 11:01 PM
I have still to check out the 6 videos and other extras on the dual disc.I now have, and I was a tad disappointed. The actual videos aren't here, just flash-type Internet animation and old '50s era filmstrips (for "Pancreas" ). The video for "Close But No Cigar" isn't a kid-friendly cartoon at all. But listening to "Trapped in the Drive Thru" (I have been calling it "Stuck in the DT," so my BSLOS as punishment is below) with subtitles was awesome!

"Round here
We stay up
Very, very
Very, very late."

darthvyn
10-11-2006, 06:59 PM
the video for "white and nerdy" rocks! i've been watching it like, three times a day at least for the last week... the lyrics are awesome, too: "i'm fluent in javascript and also klingon" - that's great!

here's the full lyrics for anyone who doesn't have the album yet...

They see me mowin'... my front lawn
I know they're all thinkin' I'm so white & nerdy
Think I'm just too white & nerdy
Can't ya see I'm white & nerdy?
Look at me, I'm white & nerdy
I wanna roll with... the gangstas
But so far they all think I'm too white and nerdy
I'm just too white & nerdy
Really, really white & nerdy

First in my class there at MIT
Got skills, I'm a champion at D&D
MC Escher, that's my favorite MC
Keep your 40, I'll just have an Earl Grey tea
My rims never spin - to the contrary
You'll find that they're quite stationary
All of my action figures are cherry
Stephen Hawking's in my library
My MySpace page is all totally pimped out
Got people beggin' for my Top 8 spaces
Yo, I know pi to a thousand places
Ain't got no grills, but I still wear braces
I order all of my sandwiches with mayonnaise
I'm a whiz at Minesweeper, I could play for days
Once you see my sweet moves, you're gonna stay amazed
My fingers movin' so fast, I'll set the place ablaze
There's no killer app I haven't run
At Pascal, well, I'm number one
Do vector calculus just for fun
I ain't got a gat but I got a soldering gun
"Happy Days" is my favorite theme song
I could sure kick your butt in a game of ping pong
I'll ace any trivia quiz you bring on
I'm fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon
Here's the part I sing on...

They see me roll on... my Segway
I know in my heart they think I'm white & nerdy
Can't ya see I'm white & nerdy?
I'd like to roll with... the gangstas
Although it's apparent I'm too white and nerdy
How'd I get so white & nerdy?

I've been browsin', inspectin'
X-Men comics, you know I collect 'em
The pens in my pocket, I must protect 'em
My ergonomic keyboard never leaves me bored
Shoppin' online for deals on some writable media
I edit Wikipedia
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
I got a business doin' web sites
When my friends need some code, who do they call?
I do HTML for 'em all
Even made a home page for my dog
Yo, I got myself a fanny pack
They were havin' a sale down at The Gap
Spend my nights with a roll of bubble wrap
Pop pop, hope no one sees me... gettin' freaky
I'm nerdy in the extreme and whiter than sour cream
I was in A/V Club and Glee Club and even the chess team
Only question I ever thought was hard
Was, do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
Spend every weekend at the Renaissance Faire
Got my name on my underwear

They see me strollin'... they laughin'
And rollin' their eyes 'cause I'm so white & nerdy
Just because I'm white & nerdy
Just because I'm white & nerdy
All because I'm white & nerdy
Holy cow, I'm white & nerdy
I wanna bowl with... the gangstas
But oh well, it's obvious I'm white and nerdy

Mad Slanted Powers
10-11-2006, 10:37 PM
Wonder when W.A.Y. will do an online piracy song? Or a parody of one of his OWN parodies... idea!I just saw the video for "Don't Download This Song" on Comcast On Demand. I'd say that is about online piracy.

And, a scene where he goes into a back alley and makes a seemingly down-low transaction. What's in the bag? The Star Wars Holiday Special!!!!!!!I also just saw the video for "White and Nerdy". That part was pretty funny.

I like Weird Al, but sadly I don't own any of his albums.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-12-2006, 07:43 PM
I got this album the other day, and man, I love it! "Polkarama" is my favorite of his polka songs since I actually like most of the artists he parodies on it, and it's just damn surreal to hear him singing "Candy Shop." :D The part on the video where he laughs at the weasel sounds is just fantastic, and I also really like that song. I think my favorite is "Trapped in the Drive-Thru," but "White & Nerdy" is one of his best songs as well. I'm glad he put that on instead of "You're Pitiful."

Could this be W.A.Y.'s best selling album ev-er?
Maybe. It's the only one that's ever debuted in the Top 10, and "White & Nerdy" is his highest-ranking single in 22 years or something like that.

The first time I saw the video, I nearly crapped my pants after the Holiday Special part . . . so true.

El Chuxter
11-13-2006, 11:25 PM
I finally got this album. Most of the parody stuff is pretty good, but it shows how more and more I'm out of touch with Top 40 radio. "Pancreas" and "I'll Sue You" may not be his most lyrically hilarious songs ever, but I was dying laughing at the spot-on style parodies of Pet Sounds/Smile!-era Beach Boys and Rage Against the Machine.

Great stuff. . . But not Off the Deep End or Running With Scissors.

El Chuxter
11-30-2006, 11:44 AM
Here's a tidbit:

I was listening to Phil Spector's A Christmas Gift for You this morning, and caught something that I've somehow never noticed.

The Ronettes' version of "Sleigh Ride" has horse sounds and a brass hook that will be very familiar to Weird Al fans. If you were to wipe all the vocals, slow the track slightly, and add occasional explosion noises, you might find yourself singing, "What a crazy fluke, we're gonna get nuked on this jolly holiday."

I knew it was a style parody, but had no idea how close it was to one classic Christmas song.

General_Grievous
12-06-2006, 06:42 PM
Oh god, I love "White and Nerdy". Especially the Seth Green cameo in the video. Love the line "I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL" :D

There's also a World of Warcraft "Amish Paradise" video on YouTube...check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqBxBYsEkOY&mode=related&search=

Bel-Cam Jos
01-19-2007, 10:36 PM
This might be blasphemy, but what're your least favorite WAY songs? A parodist isn't going to hit a homer every time up, so there are bound to be a couple weak ground outs. Yours?

Mine:
"Party at the Leper Colony" (some issues just aren't funny; this is one)
"Like a Surgeon" (I thought it was funny as a kid, but now it's just annoying and simplistic)
"Couch Potato" (this is simply due to my dislike of Peanut M&M)
"Gotta Boogie" (oddly weird)
"Do I Creep You Out?" (yes, Al, yes it does)

Rogue II
01-19-2007, 10:58 PM
I haven't listened to the new one enough yet, so nothing from that one yet.

Least favorite:
All About the Pentiums
Germs

While we're making lists, how about most underrated?
Your Horoscope for Today
Albuquerque

El Chuxter
01-20-2007, 01:27 PM
Least favorite? I'm leaning toward "Buckingham Blues" right now, but I'm sure there's one that I'm just not thinking of that I like even less.

Most underrated: "Albuquerque." I made a WAY mix CD for a friend who had none. He wanted the hits. I added "Albuquerque." He said he had a new favorite song. He's something of a music freak, and easily has 10,000 songs or so in his collection. 'Nuff said.

Runner-up: "I Love Rocky Road." Forgetting who my avatar is right now, that's just one of his funniest parodies, and it's kind of been lost to time.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-20-2007, 03:13 PM
My goal is to eventually get Weird Al's "Dog Eat Dog", and Ted Nugent's "Dog Eat Dog". Adding those to AC/DC's "Dog Eat Dog" which I already have and I'll have a most excellent "Dog Eat Dog" three-fer. A local radio show used to have a request program called "Threefer Madness", but I never called in to request anything. If I had, that would have been something I would have requested.

scruffziller
02-08-2007, 02:29 PM
Least favs:

Airline Amy
My Baby's in Love With Eddie Vedder
Pancreas
She Never Told Me She Was a Mime
Mr. Frump in the Iron Lung

To me these songs just seem to have no point, purpose, or catchy gimmick and that is why they fail with me.

El Chuxter
02-08-2007, 02:51 PM
Dude, how can you not love "Mr Frump"?

scruffziller
02-09-2007, 08:46 AM
Dude, how can you not love "Mr Frump"?

I think when I first heard it, it kinda creeped me out and it just didn't seem to make me laugh in any way of all the songs on that album. Maybe because it was real lowkey, a drastic contrast from the rest of the other songs. It lacked that zippy zaniness I was expecting. So I suppose the first impression for me on it has me skipping over it.

JimJamBonds
02-09-2007, 11:12 AM
Weird Al has posted dates for a tour this year on his website, guess what I'm doing on July 30th? :D

Bel-Cam Jos
02-10-2007, 11:39 AM
Weird Al has posted dates for a tour this year on his website, guess what I'm doing on July 30th? :DCome out to Cali and get FOUR DAYS of Al!

July 17-21 Costa Mesa, CA Orange County FairI saw him many a year ago at the Perris Fair in... Lake Perris, CA. It was great. Fans chanted "Yo-da" ... "Yo-da" ... "Yo-da" for an encore, but alas, no such luck.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-11-2007, 08:06 PM
Come out to Cali and get FOUR DAYS of Al!
I saw him many a year ago at the Perris Fair in... Lake Perris, CA. It was great. Fans chanted "Yo-da" ... "Yo-da" ... "Yo-da" for an encore, but alas, no such luck.Well, I caught him at the same venue last night, and this time is was more better (yeah, you heard I :p ). Here's the song list rundown, as near as I can recall (* = slightly or significantly abridged versions) :

Fun Zone (this was playing as the concert began)
Opened with: Polkarama (newest polka collection from S.O.L. album)

Various songs (don't remember the order):
Canadian Idiot
I'm in Love with the Skipper (I'd never heard this one before... creepy :eek: )
You're Pitiful (finally heard this one, Al was wearing an "Atlantic Records Sucks" t-shirt)
Confessions Part III
Do I Creep You Out? *
Eat It
Smells Like Nirvana
eBay *
Prett Fly for a Rabbi
Gump *
Saga Begins, The
Yoda
Bedrock Anthem
Complicated Song, A *
Ode to a Superhero
Trapped in the Drive-Thru *
Amish Paradise
White and Nerdy

Closed with: Fat (no encore, Springfield).

(Spatula City, Weasel Stomping Day were played on the screens at times when they needed to change the set, as well as interview clips from Al TV and Al's appearances on Simpsons/Spy Hard/King of the Hill)

Awesome time. Not many hardcore fans, but it was a cool-but-not-cold night with a nice mood to the crowd.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-12-2007, 09:06 PM
I realized that they also played a shortened and updated "Headline News" (I think Lindsay Lohan was the subject, or any other rehabbing celebri-not). Here's a pic of the band doing "The Saga Begins," in their usual SW style garb.

JimJamBonds
10-24-2007, 11:42 PM
I realized that they also played a shortened and updated "Headline News" (I think Lindsay Lohan was the subject, or any other rehabbing celebri-not). Here's a pic of the band doing "The Saga Begins," in their usual SW style garb.

When I saw Al back in July he did the opening verse to "Headline News" and mentioned Paris Hilton.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-25-2008, 12:00 AM
Yeah, this is probably more of a TV section topic, but hey, Al trumps all.

AL ON THE SIMPSONS... AGAIN!
Al is making a return cameo appearance on The Simpsons - yay! The episode - "That 90's Show" - will air Sunday, January 27. I wonder if he's on it as a serious artist. :rolleyes:

El Chuxter
01-25-2008, 01:25 AM
He's also voicing Wreck-Gar in the new Transformers Animated series. (In case you don't know, this show has a lot of homages to the earlier incarnations. Al voicing a character named after the one whose theme song was "Dare to Be Stupid" is undoubtedly one of said homages.)

Bel-Cam Jos
04-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Listening to Dare to Be Stupid right now. Some musings:

- Al predicted some disturbing trends in our culture now (in "Girls Just Want have Lunch" he mentions 'some girls like driving trucks and wearing tatoos' that's not really disturbing I guess just different, and in "Cable TV" he gets to watch MTV [who does that anymore? :rolleyes: ] while he's driving, a dangerous activity that's acceptible today)

- Johnny Dangerously was an underrated movie, in the vein of Airplane! or Top Secret! and the theme song "This is the Life" is pretty cool

- I finally "get it" in the pretty dumb "I Want a New Duck" song when Al mentions that his new duck will help him "how to get down; get it?"

- I miss cartoons like George of the Jungle, Penelope Pitstop (was that the title, or just the character name?), or Tom Slick. :(

Mad Slanted Powers
04-12-2008, 12:22 PM
Listening to Dare to Be Stupid right now. Some musings:I was a little confused on the Behind the Music episode about Weird Al when someone from Devo was upset about that song after having approved of it at first. I wasn't sure if he was being serious or not, or what his complaint was.

- I finally "get it" in the pretty dumb "I Want a New Duck" song when Al mentions that his new duck will help him "how to get down; get it?"Get down, like Disco Duck right? :D

- I miss cartoons like George of the Jungle, Penelope Pitstop (was that the title, or just the character name?), or Tom Slick. :(I think she was in more than one cartoon. There was the one where she was one of many racers, I think it was Wacky Racers, but I'd have to look it up. I'm pretty sure there was a Perils of Penelope Pitstop though.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-12-2008, 08:56 PM
Get down, like Disco Duck right? :DThat's what I used to think. I believe it's actually referring to the "down" feathers of a duck.

Mad Slanted Powers
04-12-2008, 09:06 PM
I found this on wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dare_to_Be_Stupid_(song)).

Shortly after the song was released, Yankovic received a letter from Mark Mothersbaugh congratulating him on writing "the perfect Devo song". He has also said that it was "beautiful... and I hate him for it, basically."So, I guess he was just upset that Al did a better Devo song than they did.

JEDIpartner
04-22-2008, 12:42 PM
One compilation I'd like to see is an entire CD of nothing but his polka medleys. That would be AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Bel-Cam Jos
04-22-2008, 08:19 PM
One compilation I'd like to see is an entire CD of nothing but his polka medleys. That would be AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!That is a great idea. It'd be a great waltz through musical pop culture. Names for that album?

- Music Version 2.0
- The Al Shuffle
- alPod Shuffle
- alPolk Shuffle
- Beer Barrel Covers
- We'rd Cover'd by Al'd
- Yankovic a Song, Any Song
- My Way: Chairman of the Bored

I don't know... but the idea rocks, JP! :thumbsup:

JEDIpartner
04-23-2008, 11:45 AM
If I had all of his CDs (any-- the ones I have are on LP), I would totally assemble this collection!

Bel-Cam Jos
10-23-2008, 06:16 PM
What's Al's full name?

Alfred Matthew Yankovic.

Where was Al born?

Al is the only child of Nick & Mary Yankovic. He grew up in Lynwood, California (a suburb of Los Angeles), although the hospital he was actually born in was in the neighboring town of Downey.

How old is he now?

Al was born at 1:56 PM on October 23, 1959. You figure it out.Getting close to that 50 year mark, Mr. Y. He is exactly 14 years and 74 minutes older than I am. Happy happy happy, Al!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-28-2008, 06:43 PM
I didn't even realize it until last night, but Al has a new song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRVi0paZlfI) that's available for purchase through a few places (go look at his site). I've never heard the original it's based on but it's pretty damn funny! lol

Bel-Cam Jos
02-22-2009, 10:56 AM
I listened to Poodle Hat the other day, and while it's not my favorite song of his (in fact, it's my least favorite of his "extended length" songs like "Albuquerque" or "Trapped in the Drive-Thru" ), I've had "Genius in France" stuck in my head. Appropriately for the words, I feel REALLY DUMB that I never truly got the lyric:

... I couldn't pour water from a boot
With instructions on the heel..."

I just figured it was another example of extreme stupidity, until I thought about it: the water'd just spill out on its own. I never comprehended the gravity of that situation until then. Too much water on the brain, I suppose.

El Chuxter
02-23-2009, 07:58 PM
Maybe you have to listen to Zappa to appreciate it. :confused:

Bel-Cam Jos
09-08-2009, 07:44 PM
The next Tuesday release date after Al's birthday (you figure it out), The Essential WAY will be out (a 2-CD set! :D ). Looking at the tracks listings, I may never listen to another CD of his again. :eek: This one is quite nice.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-23-2009, 08:32 AM
Happy day, sir! I intend to get you some residuals, when I buy your Essentials compilation next week (you're welcome :D ).

Darth Jax
10-23-2009, 08:41 AM
Indeed, happy birthday Mr. Weird.

JEDIpartner
10-23-2009, 11:48 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, AL!!! Eat a lot of broccoli and drink a lot of beer!

TeeEye7
10-24-2009, 06:04 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, AL!!! Eat a lot of broccoli and drink a lot of beer!

:mushroom cloud: :eek:

El Chuxter
10-24-2009, 06:36 PM
Hey! It ain't Christmas yet, TI! No mushroom clouds yet! :mad:

(And, the way I heard it, Christmas might be cancelled. Santa's either doing hard time in a federal prison for his infamous crime, or he's dead because an FBI agent put a bullet in his head. It depends on which version you believe.)

scruffziller
10-27-2009, 11:24 AM
I listened to Poodle Hat the other day, and while it's not my favorite song of his (in fact, it's my least favorite of his "extended length" songs like "Albuquerque" or "Trapped in the Drive-Thru" ), I've had "Genius in France" stuck in my head. Appropriately for the words, I feel REALLY DUMB that I never truly got the lyric:

... I couldn't pour water from a boot
With instructions on the heel..."

I just figured it was another example of extreme stupidity, until I thought about it: the water'd just spill out on its own. I never comprehended the gravity of that situation until then. Too much water on the brain, I suppose.

That is Al's genius writing.

JEDIpartner
10-27-2009, 11:56 AM
Speaking of "extreme stupidity"... let's celebrate the lyrics to "Dare to be Stupid" today!!!

:love:

Put down your chainsaw and listen to me
It's time for us to join in the fight
It's time to let your babies grow up to be cowboys
It's time to let the bedbugs bite

You better put all your eggs in one basket
You better count your chickens before they hatch
You better sell some wine before its time
You better find yourself an itch to scratch

You better squeeze all the Charmin you can while Mr. Whipple's not around
Stick your head in the microwave and get yourself a tan

Talk with your mouth full
Bite the hand that feeds you
Bite off more than you chew
What can you do
Dare to be stupid

Take some wooden nickles
Look for Mr. Goodbar
Get your mojo working now
I'll show you how
You can dare to be stupid

You can turn the other cheek
You can just give up the ship
You can eat a bunch of sushi and forget to leave a tip

Dare to be stupid
Come on and dare to be stupid
It's so easy to do
Dare to be stupid
We're all waiting for you
Let's go

It's time to make a mountain out of a molehill
So can I have a volunteer
There's no more time for crying over spilled milk
Now it's time for crying in your beer

Settle down, raise a family, join the PTA
Buy some sensible shoes and a Chevrolet
And party 'till you're broke and they drive you away
It's OK, you can dare to be stupid

It's like spitting on a fish
It's like barking up a tree
It's like I said you gotta buy one if you wanna get one free

Dare to be stupid (yes)
Why don't you dare to be stupid
It's so easy to do
Dare to be stupid
We're all waiting for you
Dare to be stupid

Burn your candle at both ends
Look a gift horse in the mouth
Mashed potatoes can be your friends

You can be a coffee achiever
You can sit around the house and watch Leave It To Beaver
The future's up to you
So what you gonna do

Dare to be stupid
Dare to be stupid
What did I say!
Dare to be stupid
Tell me, what did I say?
Dare to be stupid
It's alright
Dare to be stupid
We can be stupid all night
Dare to be stupid
Come on, join the crowd
Dare to be stupid
Shout it out loud
Dare to be stupid
I can't hear you
Dare to be stupid
OK, I can hear you now
Dare to be stupid
Let's go, Dare to be stupid
Dare to be stupid
Dare to be stupid
Dare to be stupid
Dare to be stupid
Dare to be stupid
Dare to be stupid
Dare to be stupid

scruffziller
10-29-2009, 01:32 AM
:D Ive been watching the Craigslist video over and over I LOVE IT!!!!:thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
10-30-2009, 06:59 PM
I couldn't find the new Essential WAY c.d. in any stores locally, so I used this thing called Nile, or Danube, or Missouri on the web. Ever heard of it? :tired: It came in the mail today, but I have yet to listen to it. From the back cover playlist, there doesn't really seem to be much "new," but it's like an MP3 playlist of the "best" songs, I suppose (see previous posts here, to discuss which should've been replaced with "better best" ones).

Bel-Cam Jos
02-09-2010, 07:45 PM
His new CD is supposed to come out "sometime this year," according to his website. I wonder: will his polka song be Beatles hits or Michael Jackson songs? Discuss...

morpheus282
02-09-2010, 10:02 PM
Please, no Jackson. Anything but that.

TheDarthVader
02-10-2010, 12:42 AM
i would take some jackson. :)

JimJamBonds
02-10-2010, 11:16 AM
Beatles please.