PDA

View Full Version : Do you let other people touch your toys?

Jargo
02-21-2003, 03:58 PM
Okay so this a semi serious question. I was wondering whether or not you allow people to pick up your toys and play with them or looks at them or whether you throw a hissy fit and lay down the law about your stuff.
I only allow my nephews to touch the toys and only if i'm with them. Luckily the appreciate at their tender ages that my collection is a bit spesh and not really for knocking around so we play nicely and treat the stuff with respect.
Apart from the boys no-one else gets near my stuff. It's safely out of the way and sort of like a secret haven for me. A little sanctuary.

I'd probably go mental if anyone went into my room and moved stuff around or messed with it all. How about you? :D

Beast
02-21-2003, 04:50 PM
I do get a bit overprotective of my toys, so yeah I do get preachy and lay down the laws about my stuff. There are two rules for my stuff, you don't touch it unless I'm around, and when you do touch it, you treat it like your life depends on it. That goes for my DVD collection as well, since you scratch a disc your buying me a new set. :)

I need to finish redesigning my bedroom into my sanctuary/gallery. That way I don't have to worry about people touching my stuff or moving it around. I just don't have the time, maybe this summer. My collection is already so big, I don't have a bed. Lucky for my collection, a nice firm couch is better for my messed up back. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

manji
02-21-2003, 04:50 PM
ABSOLUTELY! Not to sound anal retentive about it, but I feel exactly the same way. My wife has had family over before while I was away who picked up my figures and moved them. I literally spent hours trying to get everything back in its place. I have all of mine opened up and lining my office, and like EJ said it's kind of like "my sanctuary". I've walked in on company in the room who have picked up figures and I'd wince in horror as they'd move an appendage or turn a head - just knowing that it'd get loose and never stay in place again. I'd smile and grit my teeth and politely ask them to not do that, but inside I'd be going nuts. Fortunately, my wife now asks people not to touch anything if I'm not home.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not like this about anything else. Ordinarily, I'm a laid back person willing to share virtually everything I own but no one better lay a finger on my Star Wars figures but me!

Wow, confessing that makes me feel like a jerk, but it's all true.

spacelord
02-21-2003, 04:54 PM
I used to let the kids play with them until they broke quite a few lightsabers one day. Now, they have there own to play with. There are, of course, those select few that even I fear to go near. If I even look at some of them, they will never stand upright again.

Darth Trymybestus
02-21-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
My collection is already so big, I don't have a bed. Lucky for my collection, a nice firm couch is better for my messed up back. :)

You don't have a bed?! Woah, you should trade in the couch for the bed... that way, you can put some of your collection underneath it and get a nice sleep! :)

Beast
02-21-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Darth Trymybestus
You don't have a bed?! Woah, you should trade in the couch for the bed... that way, you can put some of your collection underneath it and get a nice sleep! :)
No thanks. I ditched the bed about 8-10 years ago, and I haven't looked back since. I don't think I could sleep on one if I tried. I can't find a hard enough mattress with enough give for my screwed up spine, but a couch works wonders. Besides, the couch is more convenient for watching DVD's. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Old Fossil
02-21-2003, 05:06 PM
Nobody's really messed with my displayed collection except our cats and our dog Earl, who mouthed (harmlessly, turns out) my two Banthas a while back.

I kind of wish more visitors took enough of an interest to handle them, actually. Don't know why. The figures and ships are all in our back room/study area, along with many of my books (which I place as much value on as JarJar does his DVDs, I think:) ) and our computer area. Gets a lot of traffic when company's over, but nobody's really fiddled with the Star Wars figures.

Sith Worm
02-21-2003, 05:09 PM
Yeah, I let all the chicks touch my toys what ever it takes to get them under my ESB sheets!! Hands off dudes!!

Alas I have returned!

187-Maul
02-21-2003, 05:15 PM
I have a part of my collection on a display behind glass so noone ever touched those figs, but I have most figs in 2 dioramas in a closet, but my family never really touches them except my brother, but he collects too so that's no problem (he's 17, so he's careful with them too) and when some friends are over and wanna see them or I show them they sometimes pick up one fig or so but they know their limits:D same with my mcfarlane figs BTW

James Boba Fettfield
02-21-2003, 05:15 PM
You can look but don't touch now, Velvet Elvis he's so fuzzy. I'm sorry, I broke into song for a moment. I don't really mind if someone picks up something and looks at it. The few opened toys I have sit on bookcases in my room, and I have a 3 year old sister that likes messing with that stuff. I don't mind, because little kids are cool. Now if say Lord Malakite decided to pick something of mine up, then I would be a bit bothered, but I wouldn't say anything to him about it. Now if someone besides me sits on my bed, then yes, that bothers me. I don't like anyone but me on my bed at any time. I check home everyday I am at Ohio State to make sure my things are intact and I actually have convinced my 8 year old brother to make sure to keep a record of who breaks the solemn rules. Sometimes I take my obsessions too far.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
02-21-2003, 05:18 PM
I don't let people touch my toys. :o

Beast
02-21-2003, 05:19 PM
"Sith Worm, now that's a name I've not heard in a long time. A long time." :crazed: :D

Thanks for reminding me of the pet issue, Twodot Tatooine. I have a pair of cats, and one of them has nothing better to do but to always try to climb on my computer desk and destroy my figures. Damn felines, think they own the place. :mad: :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jerjerrod
02-21-2003, 05:29 PM
I admit being overprotective of my toys as well. I keep them unopened and displayed on my shelf. Hate to admit it, but I absolutely HATE it when relatives come over, with a huge chance my kid cousins going into my room (which is not locked, it's just a sliding door) and touching everything like my figures, comics, DVDs, whatever else. AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGH!

(...control yourself...) :D

Jargo
02-21-2003, 05:48 PM
And walk dirty poopoo paws on the keyboard, :( I had a cat once, it didn't last long..... :evil:

My first dog liked to chew figures though thankfully only the crappy buff ones. My second dog wasn't remotely interested in anything but big love and cuddles :eek: said too much..... The latest dog - Buster black dog - is a bit of a connoisseur too. he likes to stand and admire and sniff the figures on the lower shelves. And then he turns round and wags his tail and re-arranges everything... :rolleyes: that's a little anoying but apart from the clear rubber bands that figures have around the hands and stuff and a Battle droid blaster, Buster black dog has never ever touched a single thing with anything more than shed hairs and slather. Those toys are mine, ALL MIIIIIIIIIIIINE MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!! :crazed: I've mentioned this elsewhere but I no longer sleep in the same room as my other half, I sleep by my toys. Just me in a small room filled with toys and books and posters and music and cool stuff. Heaven. It's actually pretty much a similar case to JJB - messed up back needs special sleeping arrangements, and my other hald snores like a docker so it's nice and restful in my sanctuary. calming. Bliss. :happy:

KingOfSting
02-21-2003, 05:56 PM
i let my girlfriend touch my toys all the time...especially my lightsaber..she likes to play with it alot ;)

kdp100
02-21-2003, 06:53 PM
A benefit of living alone and keeping all my toys in a big box is that, when visitors do come round and express an interest, I can hand out selected figures (sans accessories) and say "Here, have you seen this?".

Ephant Mon seems to be their fave so far!

Adam
02-21-2003, 08:15 PM
I've let my two year old cousin play with my stuff. :) I watch her of course. My SW's is behind glass, so she gets to mess with my Transformers.

Darth Sidious
02-21-2003, 08:51 PM
I let a few friends touch my SW stuff, most of them either collected at one point, or know the item's value (They always ask me, actually), so they are pretty respectful toward them. Little kids have to stay away though. I can't handle spit and stuff, especially on my preciousessssss....:) :( :o :D ;) :p :cool: :rolleyes: :mad: :eek: :confused: :frus: :sur: :zzz: :stupid: :happy: :Pirate: :greedy: :cry: :kiss: :dead: :crazed:

jjreason
02-21-2003, 09:01 PM
My stuff is largely out of site, in big rubbermaids under beds in the house. My daughter likes to play with figures, but we keep that as a special activity we do together. She's very respectful and won't touch them without permission. I recently graduated her to being allowed to have my Marvel Legends figures in her room during nap time, she did great. They were all treated with the respect and dignity they deserve.

Im not a great big entertainer, so people for the most part don't even get upstairs where all that crap is kept. If and when they do, I know Miranda will be following closely, ready to rat out any party who thinks they might sneak a little touch of a figure without me knowing ("Don't touch!!! Those are my Daddy's Specials!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!") which gets me responding to the toymergency code 3!

LusiferSam
02-21-2003, 09:25 PM
Few people touch my stuff. A family friend who has son that's really into SW I let play (yes, PLAYS) with my newer figures. He pretty good about how ruff he plays, but I also watch him like a hawk (and then some). And one friend who is a fan I'd let handle them, but now that we live in different states its not an issue. My family has no interest in my collection, so no issue there either.
But my vintage figure are a different story. No one touches them but me. And no one can look at anything made before '86 with out asking first under threat of severe retribution. So declares LusiferSam.

James Boba Fettfield
02-21-2003, 09:57 PM
Reasons like these are why I will have to reproduce someday. I have a lot of stuff that only an offspring of mine would understand how to handle when I am long gone.

Lord Malakite
02-21-2003, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
No thanks. I ditched the bed about 8-10 years ago, and I haven't looked back since.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

That sounds like me! :eek: I'm also glad I'm not the only one who suffers from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder after reading your stories. :D

Originally posted by James Boba Fettfield
I have a lot of stuff that only an offspring of mine would understand how to handle when I am long gone.

Ughh! I didn't need to know that.

QLD
02-21-2003, 11:07 PM
Nobody really wants to play with mine. I mean, some people will look at them when they come over, but most of my friends don't dig on toys too much. And my only other friend who collects figures, has pretty much everything I do, so there isn't much handling going on other than by me. My dog is small, but he will eat figures. I just have to keep them higher off the ground.

Beast
02-21-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Lord_Malakite
That sounds like me! :eek: I'm also glad I'm not the only one who suffers from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder after reading your stories. :D
:crazed: :confused: Cartman, what the hell are you talking about? :confused: :crazed:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

SithMace
02-21-2003, 11:11 PM
NO ONE TOUCHES MY STUFF!!!!!!! Ive gone through anger management and rageaholics over my figures being touched when im not around. Its like I knwo what it feels like to be the INcredible Hulk as my veins start to pulse. The other day I found my Greeata in the side of my spare room bed... I knew my 6 year old had been touching them. So out came Mr Hyde and now he knows better. Its like my place and my stuff do not touch a freakin thing or I will go medieval on your buttocks.

James Boba Fettfield
02-21-2003, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Lord_Malakite
Ughh! I didn't need to know that.

You didn't think I was going to pass my belongings on to you, did you? When I have a heart attack at age 40 :dead: and reach my final destination, I want my former possesions in good hands. An offspring is the only choice I have. I already know, Malakite, what your plans are. Being buried with the Yoda Furby and whatnot. I would just have a hard time thinking someone outside of my own family would have my toys in the future. I want JBF's great grandson to see the dog faced Leia with man body, and remember how crazy toys used to be. Or maybe he'll think that's how women looked in my time, and he'll respect me for finding a way to have a child with a dog faced woman so he could exist. Either way, my toys will be in good hands.

Beast
02-22-2003, 01:03 AM
Lord Malakite & James Boba Fettfield, you two couldn't be more like brothers if you tried. Damn guys. Do you guys still whap each other with plastic lightsabers? ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
02-22-2003, 01:37 AM
No, he refuses to fight me in lightsaber combat. :cry:

Lord Malakite
02-22-2003, 02:40 AM
Of course. You stabbed me in the back with a pencil. God knows what you'll do to me with a lightsaber. :eek:

plasticfetish
02-22-2003, 03:14 AM
Or maybe he'll think that's how women looked in my time, and he'll respect me for finding a way to have a child with a dog faced woman so he could exist.
Hahahahahahahahaha!
(oh man, that's gold.)

I have such a variety of stuff and a lot of it is for sure "no touch" and then some of it is "touch gently." Then there's a big bunch of it that sat on the shelves and wanted to be played with, so I've been handing it down to "the kid" as he's proving that he can appreciate it. There's still a few special things tucked away for next year or the year after that (like that boxed slave1 that I bought for $10 and have been dying to play with for ages.) It's nice seeing the things being played with by a kid (a kid other than me) ... not to mention the weird sense of satisfaction I get from handing him something that's kind of hard to find and thinking "you're the only 5 year old in town with one of these."

The "no touch" stuff gets its due respect. A lot of vintage toys and what not ... and if I've got things arranged on a shelf or behind glass, most people get the idea. If they don't get it, I have no problem telling them to "touch with their eyes." Most of my friends collect toys of some kind anyway, so it's no problem. As you get older you tend to weed out the people that can't be respectful of your junk ... or perhaps it's just that you tend to get along better with people who share your compulsions.

jpak001
02-22-2003, 04:20 AM
No one that comes over is really that interested in my toys & my collecting buddy just recently moved to Vegas. I have a crazy cat, but he doesn't mess with my stuff (luckily). I can (and do sometimes) leave them laying around anywhere in my office and they don't get messed with by anybody.

My girlfriend doesn't understand them & thinks I'm crazy for spending so much money on them (she's probably right!). But As long as I keep 'em in our office, she doesn't give me a hard time (which is cool by me since that is my little sanctuary).

fourtwo
02-22-2003, 05:06 AM
people mess with my stuff, they just treat it with respect. its always fun to have to "fix" the poses after someone has moved em around and its also cool to know someone else is enjoying them...atleast i think they enjoy them, and don't secretly make fun of me. ok maybe they do, but thats ok as well
:D

this is a good thread btw, first one i've been able to read all the way through and really enjoy in a while.

gsr-jedi
02-22-2003, 11:42 AM
when my cousins come over, one's 5 the other's 2, they aren't allowed to touch my open Star Wars toys, but I let them play with my Avengers figures & Simpsons figures, without the accessories though. It's funny cause when reading this thread, we are watching my aunt's dog, and my 12" Dewback is on my mom's bed, and the dog went in the room and started barking and growling at it. But I made sure he didn't try to "play" with it. Now that I think about it, "playing" with it sounds kind of sick. :eek:

Jayspawn
02-22-2003, 04:17 PM
I get overprotective of my figures. I really only let people touch them when I'm around. And I KNOW when somebody has touched something. I have my places for everything. I go nuts when I find something out of place.

People know not to EVR touch my Master Replicas Darth Vader Lightsaber. Touching that is a death wish.

I have a shelf where I keep my 12" 007 figures by Sideshow. One day my younger brother thought it would be funny to pose Dr. No, Connery and Brosnan in all kinds of funny positions. Let's just say, he will never do that again.

Hellboy
02-22-2003, 04:48 PM
No one touches my stuff unless they ask first. Most of my friends have no problem with that since they have little intrest in Star Wars or my collection for that matter and think I'm crazy for spending as much $ as I do. I have one room in my apartment devoted to my SW collection so if I nedded to I could close the door.
I was very lucky in the pet department because my cat Grendel was very careful around my collection but would occasionally knock down a few loose figures if I had them sitting around with her tail. She passed away new years day though (RIP Grendel) so I have been without a pet since. My family wants me to get another cat or possibly a dog but I'm not ready yet and would also worry about my collection with a new pet around. My loose collection are all on shelves and my carded collection covers the rooms walls but I do have a few of the bigger items low to the ground so it could be a problem.
My friends who have kids or younger siblings like to look at "The Room" every time they come over but they know not to go in there without me. I'll let them touch some of the loose stuff but most of them act like they're in a china shop and just look without touching. Luckily most of my stuff is set up so you can appreciate it without having to pick it up. I guess like others it is my sancturary, my shrine. :)

James Boba Fettfield
02-22-2003, 05:26 PM
Was this cat, Grendel, named after a creature from Beowulf?

I could never let a pet be around my collection. I just could never trust the animal not to take EV-9D9 and his little computer thing and then I'd never see the toy again.

Kidhuman
02-22-2003, 05:41 PM
I only let my family touch my toys, but only if I am in the room with them. My wife is about the only one that I trust to touch them. I have them hanging on the walls in a spare room(that could be used for other things but it is not.) I do have a hook and eye lock to keep the kids out of there though.

fourtwo
02-22-2003, 05:43 PM
haha my dog eyes my stuff everytime she goes near it. she hasn't gotten anything yet though, its mostly all out of her reach.
:D

keithfite
02-22-2003, 08:43 PM
I cant believe you asked that. I always complain about one of my friends who touches my figures, I thought I was just a prick or somethin. well, I probably am but anyway, if I have some figures sitting out he just grabs em and starts playing with em. Im 20 years old. I mean what does he think im buying these just to treat them how a kid would. So my answer is yes, I freak out when people touch them. if people understand they are collectibles and know I take them seriously then no problem. but some people dont realize the time and money you gotta put in if you want to get them all. and once you have them all you dont want to go through them and realize you need other ones because yours are chipped or broken because of someone who didnt care . The one think that goes through my mind is, FREAKIN ASK FIRST MORON. but hey, thats just me I try to keep them out of the public eye, but of course I get em out and look at them. and I shouldnt have to worry about stuff I enjoy getting damaged in my own house. So freakin a man. I am protective of mine

Hellboy
02-22-2003, 10:27 PM
Was this cat, Grendel, named after a creature from Beowulf?

No she was actually named after the comic book character Grendel created by Matt Wagner. Quite a few people have asked me that though in the past. It's kinda weird but I taught her to play fetch using small rolled up pieces of paper when she was young and because of that she would occasionally pick up small things and want me to throw them for her. Her favorite was the star shaped blast effect from the SBD which I had many left over from building my arena diorama.

bobafrett
02-23-2003, 01:27 AM
Wow, you guys let people into your treasured domains? Actually I like to show off all my toys, but it's a no touch policy. My brother came into town , and repositioned 4 of my Stormtroopers like they were all falling backwards like dominos with their arms flailing about. I was mad, but then I thought it looked kind of funny, so I left it. I told my son that he would get the collection when I die, and he told me that he would be rich, because he would sell it on eBay. I hope I don't die soon, maybe he'll learn to appreciate collecting as much as I do.

gsr-jedi
02-23-2003, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by bobafrett
I told my son that he would get the collection when I die, and he told me that he would be rich, because he would sell it on eBay. I hope I don't die soon, maybe he'll learn to appreciate collecting as much as I do.

OMG, that's terrible; how old is he? Hopefully, he'll learn to appreciate em and won't hock em

Tonysmo
02-23-2003, 02:46 AM
no one touches my collection. Its sealed off from the rest of the world. You have to get the combination for the lock on the door which is guarded as close as the KFC secret receipe.. even if you were to bust through the lock, the lasers would cut you to bits. There wouldnt be anything left of you. If you did happen to somehow get past the lasers, the two full scale Destroyers would automatically switch on and take out anyone standing remotely close. Thats not to mention the nerve gas Ive had imported to fill the room within 30 seconds...

actually, most of the collection is in rubber maid tubs, legos n such that are still boxed. The latter is on shelves and if someone wanted to check it out, I would'nt mind as it is nice when someone takes interest. My son has his opened, yeah, opened Jorge Sacul on a shelf in his room apart from his other starwars figs.. Hes very good at knowing what gets played with and what doesn't.

Jargo
02-23-2003, 10:19 AM
Nothing wrong with an opened Jorg sacul. How else are you gonna get to beat up on george for not releasing the ORIGINAL original trilogy on DVD? :D

Seems most of us are really anal about our collections. In a nice way you understand, but wow so many collections treated like gold. I remember once a long time ago efore i had too much of the POTF stuff we had a party and in a haze of alcohol i let this guy into the sanctuary beause he said he collected too. before i could say a word he leapt up onto the bed still with his shoes on and startied picking up the figures on the shelf high above my bed, he kept wittering on about how he had no idea that so many characters had been made and picking stuff up and twisting the arms back and forth. And i'm standing there with this grimace on my face and gritting my teeth and trying to steer the guy out of my room. And poor Aunt beru is left on the shelf doing a mexican wave thing and my DS droid is sitting down and I know that his blck laquer will be chipped or something. And it was at that point that I decided that no idiots would get anywhere near my prize posessions. Like i said, i let the neohews play with some stuff and we have little battles but they don't do that twisting of limbs thing, it's more about imagination and storytelling, they like to pic a character and then pick a vehicle for that guy to use so it might be ponda baba in an x-wing or Dash rendar in the royal starship with a destroyer droid or maybe a Kaadu will be running rampage and Dengar will be working with a bespin guard to shoot it down. Crazy silly stuff that makes playing fun. But never destructive play, o bent up weapons or scratched paintwork. and everything goes back where it came from at the end. Cool kids they are, smart too. The eldest knows the cash value of the stuff so he knows that i have whhat amounts to thousands of pounds stirling worth of stuff. The little guy knows it's valuable but just goes along with his brothers careful approach.
They have their own collection although small but sadly my sister won't let me buy them any more toys, she says they have too many already. :cry: maybe when they're older they'll get back into collecting. Or maybe they'll just come round to my placew and wallow in nostalgia. Me, I just like to admire the details and play. I need to get round to fixing up a play environment though, been putting it off for a long time because without knowing how much stuff there was going to be i couldn't plan the space for it, every single item is loose and although now i have so much some of it is in storage boxes in the loft, all of the other stuff is out in my room. I have shelf units to kep the stuff on between play sessions and each layer of the shelf unit is roughly 16 square feet of space there's five of those shelves in the unit. That's 74 square feet of shelf space and all of it is covered. with loose stuff.
We've got a new movie coming up and then all these possible extra years of Hasbro product and I need to double my shelf space to cope really. I've run out of room in my rebel hangar space and have vehicles for it on order still. My Imperial space is starting to get a little cramped. Tatooine is supposedly sparsely populated but on my tatooine shelves it looks more like NYC :D
And with all this stuff mounting up I'm less and less inclined to even talk about it with people. Y'know? I have the feeling I'll die and no-one will know about my secret treasures. Then someone will open the door to my room and be totally gobsmacked to find themselves in toy heaven.

Sorry, long post. I'm kinda bored and I waffle when I'm bored. I'm not trying to brag about how much stuff I own just trying to explain that it's a lot and i'm over protective. Which reminds me, must get into the loft and chack that other stuff hasn't warped or got damaged. Out of sight out of mind isn't always a good thing.

Bosskman
02-23-2003, 11:06 AM
Most people I know don't touch my collection at all. It's in my room and hardly anyone goes in there at all but me. Sometimes, on the rare occaision when my younger cousins come over, they spend hours in my room staring at it but they don't touch anything and, strangely, I've never even had to tell them. (A cool thing that's somewhat related to my cousin's obsessin with my collection is that her half sister's friend plays tennis with Hayden Christiansen every now and then) It's a small country Canada. (People-wise that is.......)

Bosskman
02-23-2003, 11:17 AM
My dog, Chewie, has never eaten any of my stuff. A LOT of it is easily within his reach. It's strange because, even when he was really young, he NEVER even tried to get my stuff. He's got brightly colored toys of his own but never has he mistaken my SW, Simpson, MOTU , LOTR, or transformers stuff for them. He loves chewing on cloth for some reason, and my 12 inch figues are laid out like a buffet for him to munch on but he's never touched them. I have my room blocked off while I'm away at school just in case, but when I'm home he goes in there by himself all the time and just sleeps on the floor by my bed. Sometimes he knocks stuff over with his tail, but when the figures fall on the floor, he ignores them. He's the bestest beast in the whole world.

bobafrett
02-23-2003, 09:06 PM
The one problem I have, is my bedroom is wall to wall toys, and now I've run out of space in my bedroom. Plus, since I was living by myself until my son decided to stay with me, I had my collection all over the house. The kitchen has my larger lego sets, mugs, and autographed pictures. My living room has various larger toys that won't fit on my shelves in the bedroom, as well as a bookcase full of books and some of my favorite figures. I also have several sculptures, riddell helmets, posters, and the tote with my Stormtrooper armor. I don't entertain a whole lot, but when I do, the people mostly respect my "hands off" policy.

As for my son, he is 12, he likes some of my collectibles, and hasn't messed with anything as he would be grounded for months or years! He is supposed to go back with his mom at the end of the school year, in the meantime, I am looking for a cheap 2 bedroom apartment, so he can have a room of his own, and decorate it as he likes.

mark2d2
02-24-2003, 12:09 AM
It seems everybody who walks into my apartment just HAS to pick up that spiffiest of ships --- the TIE BOMBER. My collection --- only a fraction of which is on display --- is always quite popular with visitors.

Too popular at times.

As a "bent" man --- I was at times more than a little confused by all the STRAIGHT guys at work vying to get invited back to my apartment. Talk about mixed signals. It's a terrible thing to get upstaged by your Slave 1.:rolleyes:

Turbowars
02-24-2003, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by KingOfSting
i let my girlfriend touch my toys all the time...especially my lightsaber..she likes to play with it alot ;) LOL, well this is about as good as this thread is going to get. To think of get mad about someone touching your toys is to far out there for me. I think some of guys should get pad locks for your doors, so you can sleep at night.:stupid:

carnifexold1eye
02-24-2003, 10:00 PM
Standard Vault rules apply, Touch not lest ye be touched.

eyEdeaD JEDI
02-24-2003, 11:29 PM
nope, I'm too protective of my toys, only my girlfriends can touch em!
The thing is, the saga toys are too delicate, you touch any of them and the lightsabers break :cry:

JangoFart
02-25-2003, 12:11 AM
All of my stuff is in protective cases, so I tend to not be as anal as I used to be when folks want to touch. My kids, oddly enough, never touch my stuff unless I'm around - probably because they have their own collection of carded and opened stuff and they don't particularly like folks messing with their stuff.

The thing that gets me, though, is that when I get a new figure at work (I have all my on-line purchases sent to my office) I put it on a corner of my desk until quitin' time. My secretary will come in and fondle it and say "How cute" or some junk and I just eyeball her like she's holding my new-born baby. (Of course, she's been my secretary for 7 years and knows that I don't like that - she just does it to press my buttons, me thinks.)

So, my answer is: yes and no. Yes if its not protected and no if it is.

J

bobafrett
02-25-2003, 12:55 AM
I have two figures that absolutly no one will ever touch, the fried remains of Uncle Owen, and Aunt Beru custom figure that I bought on eBay, and the custom figure with card of me in my Stormtrooper armor at uraTOY.com.

jad
02-25-2003, 01:24 AM
My wife and I just recently moved in to a spiffy new apartment. Before that we were renting an older 1 bedroom house. So obviously I love the new apartment which has a second room which is my toy sanctuary, and it also houses my computer. So it's sorta an office but more of a toy room javascript:smilie(':D')

I try not to be too protective of my toys but sometimes I can't help it, especially with the easily breakable Saga lightsabers. I play with them myself but I kinda have figured out just how much stress you can put on them while playing. My wife will play with em sometimes too, we even have lightsabers that we duel with once in a while.

I have a friend i've been watchin like a hawk latley though because he sorta messes with the toys a little to rough, I wouldn't really care but again those lightsabers a little too brittle sometimes

Jargo
02-25-2003, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by turbowars
LOL, well this is about as good as this thread is going to get. To think of get mad about someone touching your toys is to far out there for me. I think some of guys should get pad locks for your doors, so you can sleep at night.:stupid:

No, see that would be sirstevesGCOAguide members. Lock the doors, set the mines and adjust the laser beams. check the armory, polish the gunbarrels, oil the cogs in the gunnery stations and release the dogs to the perimeter fences. Switch on the PIRs and then set the tripwires and floor sensors. Then finallt settle down for the night with the double barrel shotgun by your side and the semi-automatic under the pillow.

pegger
02-25-2003, 08:55 AM
I used to let my friends play with them....

Then one day they had my Pote Snikin doing something very wrong with my Hoth Leia, Wicket and Removeable Helmet Darth (with no hand)......

Since then no one is allowed to play with them.....

Turbowars
02-25-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
No, see that would be sirstevesGCOAguide members. Lock the doors, set the mines and adjust the laser beams. check the armory, polish the gunbarrels, oil the cogs in the gunnery stations and release the dogs to the perimeter fences. Switch on the PIRs and then set the tripwires and floor sensors. Then finallt settle down for the night with the double barrel shotgun by your side and the semi-automatic under the pillow. That's what I'm talkn ABOOOUT! LOL

mm74md
02-25-2003, 11:04 AM
My son gets to play with anything POTF2 to Saga. Although I have had to replace a few Sage crap lightsabers & heads that have broken (he's only 3).

It's hands off my Vintage collection!

Darkross
02-25-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by manji
ABSOLUTELY! Not to sound anal retentive about it, but I feel exactly the same way. My wife has had family over before while I was away who picked up my figures and moved them. I literally spent hours trying to get everything back in its place. I have all of mine opened up and lining my office, and like EJ said it's kind of like "my sanctuary". I've walked in on company in the room who have picked up figures and I'd wince in horror as they'd move an appendage or turn a head - just knowing that it'd get loose and never stay in place again. I'd smile and grit my teeth and politely ask them to not do that, but inside I'd be going nuts. Fortunately, my wife now asks people not to touch anything if I'm not home.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not like this about anything else. Ordinarily, I'm a laid back person willing to share virtually everything I own but no one better lay a finger on my Star Wars figures but me!

Wow, confessing that makes me feel like a jerk, but it's all true.

I'm the very same way...I don't let anyone touch my stuff unless I'm around either. I had a couple of incidents (not about SW) ...but about some of my other toys when I was 14 (long time ago now!)...and my mom had company and told this kid to go upto my room and play with whatever he wanted. I came home and my room was a disaster...toys strewn about...I was FURIOUS! Needless to say at the time...My SW collection was almost nil...but I had a pretty good collection of Transformers (for a 14 year-old)...that I was glad that weren't touched. Ever since then...I've been over-protective of my stuff...and if I were to come home now and see someone playing with my toys...I would grit my teeth and smile...but inside I'd be screaming mad! Hahaha...collecting toys brings out the best in people! Lucky for me though...I have most of my collection packed away (99% loose) and therefore no room to display them. I only display the figs I really like with the vehicles that I have. Most of my toys now are out of reach for the average child...so that helps me sleep at night. I gave my son a couple of my SW toys to play with...so he wouldn't be bothering my collection...so far it has worked like a charm.

Turbowars
02-25-2003, 11:38 AM
I can understand that one. I would be mad too. I guess I had a similar situation happen to me. It's all about having respect for your children and you parents. You don't have one, you lose the other.

187-Maul
02-25-2003, 12:32 PM
I actually had an incident like that (also not with SW) a couple of years ago, we had company with three kids and they had to sleep in my room
I put all the rare and fragile Mcfarlane figs in my sisters room (she's 19, so no prob about her playing with it:D ), but when I was gone my dad told the kids to go in my room and "play", well when I got home and went into my room (when they were gone again) one fig was broken (a mummy playset by McF), one fig had totally loose joints (which I got about 2 weeks before that for my birthday) and some other figs were lying around all over the place, man was I mad:mad: ! but thank god they didn't open my closet where I kept my SW figs in dioramas (it was when we still lived in the netherlands):eek: !
so last summer when we went to australia for vacation and we had relatives over (with a kid) to "guard" the house (:D) I put my whole collection (except the ones on display behing glass and the ones he couldn't reach) in boxes and put it in the basement, cause I know the kid (he is about 9 I think) and he would've played with everything and he even slept in my room so I thought I rather put everything away than have broken figs when I come back...

Darth Evil
02-25-2003, 03:16 PM
I let people touch my figures, those that see my collection know not to break anything I own.