PDA

View Full Version : Animation Style- weak.

JON9000
02-21-2003, 04:51 PM
I suppose it is just the way things are these days, but I do not particularly like the animation style of the new series. Minimalist, hard edges- looks more like Jay and Silent Bob from the awful Clerks animated series has taken over. I would prefer something more Japanese inspired, high detail and realistic. Oh well, too much to ask I suppose. I just hop eit is geared to the grown up and not just to the little ones. We shall see.

JediTricks
02-21-2003, 09:36 PM
I have to agree with ya there Jon, the simplistic style works for Dexter's Lab but I never felt it fully worked for Samurai Jack, so I put in my time trying to watch a few eps but finally gave up.

Of course, 3 minutes isn't so great either, 6 mins would have been my absolute minimum.

QLD
02-21-2003, 09:54 PM
I have to agree. I hate the current trend of crappy, jagged animation being cool.

It's NOT!

Chiesa
02-22-2003, 01:22 AM
Yes I agree as well! I rather they use better ANIME kind of style. Maybe Dragonball style? It does make the characters look much better and stylish in my opinion!

jjreason
02-22-2003, 06:24 AM
All we have to base our opinions on is a couple of stills. I think Ill reserve judgement on the animation until I see it animated. Did that make sense?

Jayspawn
02-22-2003, 03:07 PM
I don't like the animation style either. I think it's too rough.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-22-2003, 06:24 PM
IMO, Samurai Jack is a great cartoon with a great animation style. I'm just happy we're getting any new Star Wars stuff.:)

jad
02-23-2003, 08:40 PM
Pffffft!, you guys want something original instead of jagged edge style, but you say that they should do it anime instead. I say bah!!! ;)

I'm tired of the anime style. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of great anime cartoons that I love. But frankly thats all thats on anymore, all the crappy anime cartoons have been imported into saturday morning tv! There's practically anything new and refreshing anymore, even some of the new american cartoons try to copy the anime style and fail.

If you don't like the style of Samarai Jack, thats fine, it's your opinion. But I'd have to say that if you want some original styles you should probably look to something else than anime. It's been done to death.

evenflow
02-24-2003, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by JON9000
looks more like Jay and Silent Bob from the awful Clerks animated series has taken over.

I agree that I don't like the look for Star Wars, but it worked for CLerks. And the series was awesome.

12inch Lando
02-25-2003, 03:54 AM
I say do a Star Wars cartoon a la Sealab:2021. I'd definitely be there for that one.

El Chuxter
02-25-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by 12inch Lando
I say do a Star Wars cartoon a la Sealab:2021. I'd definitely be there for that one.

Lemme guess. . . Palpatine would declare himself Emperor and impose Martian Law! :D

And my two cents: I love the animation style and think it fits SW well.

12inch Lando
02-25-2003, 09:20 PM
Exactly:D

Beast
02-25-2003, 09:23 PM
Ah, Sealab 2021. One of the true gems of Adult Swim. Hopefully the rumored DVD release turns out to be true. I love that show. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Hellboy
02-26-2003, 06:01 PM
I'll admit the animation is what initially turned me off from really getting into Samurai Jack. It wasn't until I noticed Cartoon Network re-airing all the episodes in order that I gave the show a chance. I'm glad I did because the style grew on me and the show is now one of my favorites. Sure it's not as visually stimulating as some other forms but the real star of that cartoon wasn't the animation it was the excellent character development and storytelling. The thing I like about the style is the use of slow motion and the interesting angles it used to capture the action. I expect much the same thing from The Clone Wars so the style doesn't damper my excitement in the least bit. :)

JediTricks
02-26-2003, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Hellboy
Sure it's not as visually stimulating as some other forms but the real star of that cartoon wasn't the animation it was the excellent character development and storytelling. The thing I like about the style is the use of slow motion and the interesting angles it used to capture the action.
Don't see how there's gonna be a lot of "character development" and "storytelling" in 2 to 3 minutes though. Oh, and "slow motion" is the enemy of a show that is 2 to 3 minutes long; maybe they could have a storyline where Anakin kills some battle droids in slow motion, he starts his swipe in the first episode and finishes it by the third. :D

Anyway, it seems like nearly everything good about Samurai Jack won't be truly possible with these Clone Wars shorts making the art style a negative element to me.

Hellboy
02-26-2003, 09:30 PM
Yeah JT I can see your point there. Funny example too. I guess it boils down to what the creators are aiming for. If they're just trying to entertain us for a couple of minutes each episode there probably wouldn't be any room for the things I mentioned. However if its made as a 40-60min. story and gets divided into 3 min. shorts it could be done. When its all done people will watch it all together anyways so hopefully these aren't 3 min. independant stories.

12inch Lando
02-27-2003, 02:31 AM
Hmmm... you wouldn't be able to do that Hellboy. I'd think these shorts would have to have a begining and and end or at least end in a cliffhanger, like old time saturday morning serials. If they're not scheduled then how would you make sure you caught them all? I know for a fact that these shorts don't show up on my TIVO schedule. That idea actually sounds like a nightmare IMO. A 60 minute cartoon cut into 20 3 minute peices? Imagine trying to get those on tape!:crazed:

JEDIpartner
03-07-2003, 08:33 AM
Cartoon Network said they would be sure to schedule them regularly so that people could tune in and follow them. As far as your TIVO goes... I dunno what to tell you. I DO have a friend who can download things off of his cable internet... so I might even have him download them and burn them onto a disc for me!

But... back to the topic. I like the animation style. It's more artistic and representative than "accurate." Trying to be "accurate" usually disappoints.

mrmiller
03-07-2003, 09:13 AM
I'm also dissapointed in the choice of animation style. I would have perfered CGI rendering like in Roughnecks (Starship Troopers) or even the Final Fantasy movie. Of course I'll have to see it in action to be a real critic, but I would be more excited if they had choose a better animation style.

=MATT=

aceguide
03-07-2003, 02:41 PM
I will wait to see it before I judge - like I do with figs.

I just wish they were looking for more than 3 minutes. Try 3 HOURS!!!

:D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-11-2003, 11:11 PM
Blah blah blah!! Don't like the animation, don't watch it. just my opinion though. As for my thoughts, i'm happy with the style of it and am looking forward to it! :D

JJB- What sealab DVD rumor?!?!?! are we getting the first seasons on DVD finally?!!?! After all that time I spent dl them and now they're on DVD!?!!? Crap, but woohooo!! :crazed:

JediTricks
03-12-2003, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute
Don't like the animation, don't watch it. That's my plan. :D I tried watching Samurai Jack again this weekend, giving it yet another chance, but I still felt like Dee Dee was gonna come prancing through at any second, giggling, and smash Jack over the head with something by accident while totally oblivious to the damage. It felt too jokey to me, like there was nothing serious to be had here, even the main characters seemed like "trip and fall" kind of humor was waiting around each bend (and several times, it was).

12inch Lando
03-12-2003, 11:01 AM
That's a great idea JMG! I won't watch the crap! Problem solved.

JON9000
03-15-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by jad
Pffffft!, you guys want something original instead of jagged edge style, but you say that they should do it anime instead. I say bah!!! ;)

I'm tired of the anime style. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of great anime cartoons that I love. But frankly thats all thats on anymore, all the crappy anime cartoons have been imported into saturday morning tv! There's practically anything new and refreshing anymore, even some of the new american cartoons try to copy the anime style and fail.

If you don't like the style of Samarai Jack, thats fine, it's your opinion. But I'd have to say that if you want some original styles you should probably look to something else than anime. It's been done to death.

I don't mean Anime like Dragonball Z, I mean like Gundam. Or for heck's sake, I'll settle for Starblazers or G-Force! (If you remember those cartoons, welcome to the geriatric ward of SSG!)

bigbarada
03-16-2003, 11:44 PM
I've only seen one still from the cartoon and it doesn't look that bad to me. At least it's better than the Droids and Ewoks cartoons from 1986! Anybody else remember getting up early on Saturday morning to watch that crap?

Anyways, it's kind of a moot point for me since I won't be able to watch the cartoon anyway until they release it on DVD (I don't get cable since I don't watch enough TV to justify the cost); but as long as the story is interesting then I think it will be pretty cool.

JediTricks
07-31-2003, 11:22 PM
Oh my. Mylow put up this pic (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6383) of the show's art in another thread and as soon as I saw it, I actually didn't feel well. I can't think of a nice way of putting it: this look really bothers me and if there was a way to double-ignore this series, I would. It looks like a bad joke, like some cheap parody on the Clerks cartoon. I want to run from this kicking and screaming and throwing a fit, it makes me feel that uneasy.

genericclone99
08-01-2003, 08:25 AM
Did anyone see those Animatrix shorts before Matrix: Reloaded. They went for 10 minutes and were awesome, and even the lame ones (like the runner) had nice detailed animation. THOSE were animated shorts. At three minutes running time, these look like overglorified ads. DAMN DAMN DAMN!!!!

mabudonicus
08-01-2003, 09:26 AM
"Thanks" for linking to that pic JT.....
AIYEEEEEEEEEEEEEAIIIIIYAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

* swears loudly into a jar, runs outside and opens it at a safe distance from the autocensor, runs back*

Okay, so AIYYYEYEREEEERAAAAGH!! sorry... what the heck is that noise?? That leaping Randle Sith is prolly the worst of the bad......
So THAT's what the EU actually looks like,eh?? Figures:D.
Guess I won't be trying too hard to see this one after all!!

plasticfetish
08-01-2003, 02:54 PM
So, for those who've already decided that they don't like this series ...
what exactly do you want from a Star Wars cartoon?

jpak001
08-01-2003, 03:23 PM
I think it looks cool, and looks like it's going to have a lot of personality. But then again I am a big fan of Samurai Jack (Aku rules!)...... I like the way the edit, and cut scenes, pretty original stuff. I'll be happy with Clone Wars if it's done like Samurai Jack, but without all the cheesy humor.

What could be very cool too, is if they did it in an anime style like Helsing, that there is a pretty cartoon. Or for GC fans, maybe Blue Submarine 6. That was a great high paced anime series, lots of fun!

hamsterboy
08-01-2003, 06:40 PM
Soooo.....You don't like the style of animation and want it like anime? Perhaps have them do it like that crappy new Teen Titans cartoon?

QLD
08-01-2003, 06:58 PM
That look like crap on a stick. Maybe it will be good despite the crappy animation, but who knows.

EU is going to get a bad name from this crap. Instead if you want EU, take a look at the graphic novels instead.

Hellboy
08-01-2003, 07:26 PM
It Looks basically the way I figured it would and I'm not dissapointed at all. I guess I'm in the minority but for what these shorts are I think this style suits them just fine.

plasticfetish
08-01-2003, 07:44 PM
Well then ... what exactly do you want from a Star Wars cartoon?

(BTW - I've only seen it once but I don't think the Teen Titans show is so bad. I don't remember the comic book being all that great in the first place ... though I do have an X-Men & Teen Titans book autographed by Terry Austin around the lab some place. That would date the end of my comic book phase.)

An anime style feature length Star Wars cartoon might be cool, but I'm not so sure it would be the best thing for these shorts.

hamsterboy
08-02-2003, 05:56 PM
There's really not much we can do anyways. Lucas is rumored to be a big fan of Samurai Jack. And it's said he didn't want anyone else to do it.