PDA

View Full Version : C-3PO's leg

manji
02-21-2003, 05:30 PM
OK, this is probably a silly question with an obvious answer, but it is still a question that has eluded me for 20-odd years.

How is it that C-3PO got his silver leg?

El Chuxter
02-21-2003, 05:40 PM
Nobody knows. . . yet. Lucas may show us in Episode III.

Exhaust Port
02-21-2003, 11:14 PM
He placed second in a race.

manji
02-22-2003, 08:12 AM
Oh, I'm sorry. I was under the impression that his coverings were completely gold at the beginning of ANH. I didn't notice the lower leg being silver until ESB. I guess I'll go watch ANH again more closely.

Pendo
02-22-2003, 11:48 AM
George always says it is to show that he has been made out of any old junk lying around, and to show how old and worn the character is.

There is still no explination of HOW he got it though.

PENDO!

stillakid
02-22-2003, 12:57 PM
Sometime in Episode III, Threepio just happens to wander into a Protocol Droid factory and just happens to step onto the assembly line and just happens to get his gold leg whacked off and just happens to hop on one leg into an open spot in the assembly line that just happens to be right next to him which just happens to be the part of the assembly process which attaches silver legs.

2-1B
02-22-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by stillakid
Sometime in Episode III, Threepio just happens to wander into a Protocol Droid factory and just happens to step onto the assembly line and just happens to get his gold leg whacked off and just happens to hop on one leg into an open spot in the assembly line that just happens to be right next to him which just happens to be the part of the assembly process which attaches silver legs.

That's much more plausible, because at least this way he'll have his head attached to actually SEE where he's hopping too. :crazed:

Pendo
02-22-2003, 04:37 PM
LOL stillakid, good one :p!

PENDO!

mini-rock
02-22-2003, 06:44 PM
Perhaps 3PO takes numerous chances walking through corridors where massive laserblasts are being fired, and instead of miraculously not being hit like in ANH, he gets his leg blasted off.

Or maybe he goes to this city, and while walking through various halls, he happens upon another 3-po unit that says something to him that sounds like "eat shiitake mushrooms" while there are a bunch of Clonetroopers (they can't be Stormtroopers b/c it's already been done in ESB) playing poker in a back room, and one of them does a great impression of R2-D2. 3-PO investigates, and interrupts the poker game (POing the Clones off) but instead of blowing him up they just shoot his leg off.

stillakid
02-22-2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by mini-rock
Perhaps 3PO takes numerous chances walking through corridors where massive laserblasts are being fired, and instead of miraculously not being hit like in ANH, he gets his leg blasted off.

Or maybe he goes to this city, and while walking through various halls, he happens upon another 3-po unit that says something to him that sounds like "eat shiitake mushrooms" while there are a bunch of Clonetroopers (they can't be Stormtroopers b/c it's already been done in ESB) playing poker in a back room, and one of them does a great impression of R2-D2. 3-PO investigates, and interrupts the poker game (POing the Clones off) but instead of blowing him up they just shoot his leg off.

My coincidences are sillier than yours. ;)

mini-rock
02-22-2003, 10:21 PM
Here's another for a goof.

3-PO to the leg off himself so he could beat the crap outta Luke 'cause he got sick of Luke crying about not being able to go to Toshi Station to p/u power converters.

darthvyn
02-23-2003, 10:17 PM
eat ****take mushrooms... so THAT'S what the droid said.... :D

mini-rock
02-24-2003, 02:31 AM
Seriously though. In regards to Caesar's quote of stillakid's post "and just happens to hop on one leg into an empty spot in the assembly line" I wonder what version of AOTC he's watching? The reason I ask is b/c I've seen other quotes of stilla's posts where he says this same thing. That 3-po walked into an empty spot on the assembly line. Well, the version of AOTC that I saw in the theater you can clearly see 3-po knock a droid off the assembly line, and same with the widescreen DVD. Did people really not see this?

Pendo
02-24-2003, 06:11 AM
Why is everybody saying that 3PO's leg gets knocked off and gets replaced by another on an assembly line? Why can't it be everything else that gets knocked off, and 3PO's leg gets a new torso, arms, leg and head :crazed:. Not THAT would be a coincidence :p.

On a serious note, we do not yet know if 3PO looses his leg. 3PO is not gold in Episode II (or III?) so maybe when he is being sprayed gold, something happens for the job not to finish, and 3PO is left which one silver leg.

PENDO!

stillakid
02-24-2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Pendo
Why is everybody saying that 3PO's leg gets knocked off and gets replaced by another on an assembly line? Why can't it be everything else that gets knocked off, and 3PO's leg gets a new torso, arms, leg and head :crazed:. Not THAT would be a coincidence :p.

You know, that actually makes more sense. Being that Threepio doesn't remember anything from the Prequels (boy, wouldn't that be a nice feature to have :rolleyes: ), it makes perfect sense that his memory chips were removed and replaced.

Originally posted by Pendo
On a serious note, we do not yet know if 3PO looses his leg. 3PO is not gold in Episode II (or III?) so maybe when he is being sprayed gold, something happens for the job not to finish, and 3PO is left which one silver leg.

PENDO!

Hmm? It's been awhile since I popped in the films, so I'd like to actually know when that silver leg appears. My own recollections are that it is only during the final ceremony, but I may be remembering it wrong because he was so dirty and scuffed up throughout the meat of the movie.

Originally posted by mini-rock Seriously though. In regards to Caesar's quote of stillakid's post "and just happens to hop on one leg into an empty spot in the assembly line" I wonder what version of AOTC he's watching? The reason I ask is b/c I've seen other quotes of stilla's posts where he says this same thing. That 3-po walked into an empty spot on the assembly line. Well, the version of AOTC that I saw in the theater you can clearly see 3-po knock a droid off the assembly line, and same with the widescreen DVD. Did people really not see this?
You might be right about that. I'll have to check later. But that doesn't excuse the core silliness of the Threepio body just coincidentally wandering over to the line, turning around, and standing perfectly to await a head at that precise moment. Some coincidences are necessary to move a story along, but this entire sequence was absolutely ridiculous and unnecessary. It was concocted entirely so that George could drop in a couple of really really lame 2nd grade level jokes ("this is such a drag") and so that the droids would have something to do while the real story continued around them.

But judging from your defense of it, I'd like to hear an explanation for exactly why a protocol droid's body would automatically react the way it did when faced with the sudden loss of it's head? Now, if we look to EU or other material for a reason, we'll find that the logic functions (it's brain) are supposedly located in the chest area. So if we believe that, then somehow the body understands what just happened and seeks out the first head it can find so that it can, at the very least, see. BUT, if we take that logic, then the rest of the sequence makes no sense at all, because we clearly witness the Threepio head talking and thinking autonomously from it's body, where the brain is supposed to be. So, if we return to the movie and assume that the brain is actually in the head, the question still remains as to how and why that body would do what it did.

scruffziller
02-25-2003, 01:15 PM
I thought it was because his original leg was mismatched with another droid's leg on Bespin when he got blown apart. That is why we don't see it till ESB.

Beast
02-25-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller
I thought it was because his original leg was mismatched with another droid's leg on Bespin when he got blown apart. That is why we don't see it till ESB.
C-3PO's leg is silver in ANH. He's just so grimy it's hard to tell most of the time. You can see it more easily during the medal ceremony, after he's been polished up. :)

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=225910

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

scruffziller
02-26-2003, 12:22 PM
Wow I guess it is. Never noticed.:)

mini-rock
03-16-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller
Wow I guess it is. Never noticed.:)

Also if you notice it switches sides in the movie. Sometimes on the left, and sometimes on the right.:)

bobafrett
03-20-2003, 01:22 AM
I first noticed it on a trading card, when you used to get a stick of gum with the cards, and they were under a dollar a pack. Ahh, the old days! The picture I saw was of 3PO and R2 on the Tantive IV like they were in the beginning of the movie. I didn't notice it in the movie, until after I saw it on this card.

Quote: "Also if you notice it switches sides in the movie. Sometimes on the left, and sometimes on the right."

Yes, just like Lukes glove during the speeder bike chase on Endor in ROTJ.

Beast
03-20-2003, 01:37 AM
That's probably just a case of a flipped negative shot, which happens quite a bit in the Saga. I doubt it was a case of the leg armor or glove being put on the wrong side. Since the leg armor is shaped to each leg's shape. And I would think they would take notice that the glove was being put on the wrong hand. Though possibly not, as Vader's chest box even appears upside down at one point. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks