PDA

View Full Version : Jedi Figures = BORING!!!

mark2d2
02-23-2003, 08:37 PM
Okay, am I though only one who feels this way?

I am so sick of all these stupid Jedi Figures coming out. Enough is Enough! Give it a rest! Do some Cantina Aliens! Or a few more Classic Droids!

If I see another goofy and obscure Jedi on the release lists I'm going to totally lose it!

So, is there anybody else out there who understands my pain? Or am I just a bitter and blasphemous fan for feeling this way? Seriously, it's enough to make one want to join forces with Vader "to hunt down and destroy the Jedi." I'm beginning to long for the day when they were "all but extinct" from the shelves at Toys R Us . . .

Beast
02-23-2003, 08:54 PM
So basically you just want classic figures, right? There are a few people that feel that way, but I'm not exactly one of them. While I do want more classic aliens and droids, I like so far the Jedi's that Hasbro has made. And there are tons more unique looking ones to be made from E1 and E2.

But 2004 seems like it will be good for classic. What with General Dodonna and Captain Antilles. And whoever else gets the green light for next year. But Hasbro's still playing off the good fan/kid reaction to E2 for 2003. The second half of 2003 seems to be focusing still on E2, but away from Jedi's. I think 2004 will likely go more classic/collector orientated, like POTJ and then 2005 will be another movie year.

We still have quite a few figures left to see announced for this year. And only a couple of them are "boring" Jedi's. Infact, other then the one or two Jedi Council Screen Scenes and the Clone Wars sub-line, I don't see any further figures being Jedi according to the retailer lists. I like Jedi, but more balance is nice in non-movie years. But there is just as many of them left to do, as Aliens and Droids. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mark2d2
02-23-2003, 09:07 PM
Actually, no, JarJar. You misunderstand me -- no doubt because of the "Classic" suggestions I made.

I totally agree that there are tons of more figures to make from the ATOC -- that are NOT Jedi figures. Owen and Beru immediately spring to mind, as do most of Padme's Outfits, oh, and a Senate Alien or two or three would be pretty nifty as well.

It just seems to me that the Jedi are totally over represented on the racks at this point. It'd be nice to spread things around a bit. There is so much of ATOC that has been virtually ignored thus far.

Beast
02-23-2003, 09:22 PM
Not really ignored, but not recieving quite as much attention. There are basically more Jedi's then anything else in AOTC's. But the retailer lists suggest some nice stuff is on the way. I'm sure there is even more that hasn't popped on retailer lists yet.

WA-7 (Flo-Bot): Dexter's Diner Waitress Droid
Lt. Faytonni (Anthony Daniels)
Bail Organa
Darth Sidious
Padme: Tatooine Travel Outfit w/ Robe

Not to mention the Geonosian War Room Screen Scene. So we should hopefully be getting Poggle the Lesser and Nute Gunray. I eagerly await more release news from Hasbro. Especially if it includes a new Jar Jar in Apartment Outfit.

Hopefully the Tatooine Homestead Screen Scene is still planned. Since that should supply us with Young Owen and Beru, as well as Cligg. Sly Moore may be on the way as well, as one of the staff at GH remarked that they have been working on the prototype at Hasbro for about a year. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Kidhuman
02-23-2003, 09:25 PM
Don't forget HAsbro has 15 years to make all these figures. Jedis have been requested since EP1 and this last movie we actually saw alot of them. I believe HAsbro will get around to making all the figures that we feel should be made.

Jargo
02-23-2003, 10:03 PM
Typical toymaker mentality, supply for the demand long after the real demand has dwindled. I kind of agree with mark uo to a point. I'm not a huge fan of the Jedi apart from the alien ones. But considering this movie and the next will be about Jedi primarily it's a safe bet that you're going to see a heck of a lot more of them on the pegs.
They're a fighting force and that makes a good angle for boys toys. technically the figures are glorified toy soldiers. So that accounts for the army builder wants. everything else is just a filler which is why it takes so long to get the background characters.
I'd like to see more coruscant citizens though. The center of the galaxy and we have such a pee poor showing from the location. Those Coruscant costumes were way out there and i'd like to see some more of them as figures. Senators, nightclubbers, hustlers and thieves, spaceport workers and passengers, diner customers, speeder passengers, droids - the whole nine yards.

I think we have most of the main Jedi now and perhaps after the ones announced a mini break from them so we can get some background characters.

Old Fossil
02-23-2003, 10:10 PM
I for one want that Aqualish Separatist -- Po Nudo was his name, I think. I'm with you on those cool Coruscant denizens, Jargo. I think with Aayla Secura and Barris Offee and the amphibian-like Jedi who gets shot by Jango Fett (his name escapes me at the moment), we have plenty of obscure Jedi to make very nice displays.

amidalak
02-23-2003, 10:40 PM
E.J. hit the nail on the head, the Jedi are the characters that see the most action, therefore they get made into action figures. The kids want the characters who fight and chop each others heads off, not the ones who sit around knocking back drinks. Look at Saga Palpy, great looking fig, but in my area they have been clogging the pegs, but I haven't seen any of the Jedi figs (or anything else, for that matter) in ages. That being said, we do need more Jabba's palace aliens.

Kidhuman
02-23-2003, 11:52 PM
We need more aliens in general. Not just from Jabbas Palace(even though 90% were in there.) The are giving us a taste with the cantina sets, but most are just resculpts and rehashes. I don't think the need for the jedis is as important as that(with the jedi council scenes on the way). Maybe they are just picking certain aspects of the movies and doing that and then moving on to another.

mark2d2
02-24-2003, 12:00 AM
That Aqualish you've talked about would be so awesome. ALL AQUALISH should be made!

At any rate, I'm glad most of you are enjoying this latest wave of Jedi figs. Maybe I am just an angry blasephemous fan . . . :sur:

Kidhuman
02-24-2003, 12:06 AM
I don't know if I am enjoying it because it is mostly jedi or not, but I just basically enjoy it from the collecting POV. The more the merrier. There are still a few jedi that i haven't gotten from day 1. I mainly just get the better looking figs first then the rest. SO be it jedi, aliens, etc., I will eventually get them all.

Beast
02-24-2003, 12:13 AM
Nah, not angry or blasphemous. You just have different things that you like. That's why the Star Wars Universe is great. There's somthing there for everyone. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turbowars
02-24-2003, 12:36 AM
I'm with you Mark2d2. Down with the Jedi, they are all going to die anyways, well most of them. EP3 is going to be very sad :cry:

JediTricks
02-24-2003, 01:22 AM
The only things I don't like about all these Jedi are the over-the-top ridiculous poses with limited articulation. I've passed on nearly every AOTC non-core Jedi figure because of pose and articulation issues, I want figures not statues. I can't think of one that can fit in a Jedi Starfighter.

Adam
02-24-2003, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
The only things I don't like about all these Jedi are the over-the-top ridiculous poses with limited articulation.

That's my feelings right there. Personally, I wish we had MORE Jedi figures coming out.

Jerjerrod
02-24-2003, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
The only things I don't like about all these Jedi are the over-the-top ridiculous poses with limited articulation. I've passed on nearly every AOTC non-core Jedi figure because of pose and articulation issues, I want figures not statues. I can't think of one that can fit in a Jedi Starfighter.

Totally agree. When I was a kid, I also collected G.I.Joes, and I remember the most important thing was the figures' interaction with their vehicles. Every single figure fit into any given vehicle. You can put Cobras into Joes vehicles, and vice versa, and that's what made Joes fun.

Star Wars on the other hand, in my opinion, are more scenic representations of the SW movies, which explains why there's less articulation, and more accurate sculpt (which is good, because I wouldn't want to sacrifice that amazing sculpt to have articulation like G.I.Joe). That's why it was such an accomplishment for Hasbro to make figures like Bespin Luke and Padme droid factory, which was well-articulated and didn't sacrifice sculpt. Of course, I don't expect all the new figures to follow these examples, but I'm sure "simple poses", that were used on figures in the POTF2 and POTJ lines, will be good enough to fit into vehicles. After all, what good is a vehicle when there's no figures around to drive it?

Just stick to neutral poses for all figures, Jedi or not, and you'll find me buying all of them.:)

James Boba Fettfield
02-24-2003, 03:47 AM
I never really noticed the Jedi Figures being a big deal. As long as they're Jedi that aren't human, then I don't mind it too much. Now if they start making all of those background human Jedi, then and only then will I cry.

Beast
02-24-2003, 03:58 AM
There are a few cool human Jedi's that should get the plastic treatment. And all of them are ladies. There are others of course, but they have less screen time and are more background Jedi. :)

Bultar Swan (http://starwars.com/databank/character/bultarswan/index.html)
Depa Billaba (http://starwars.com/databank/character/depabillaba/index.html)
Madame Jocasta Nu (The coolest old lady ever) (http://starwars.com/databank/character/jocastanu/index.html)
Stass Allie (http://starwars.com/databank/character/stassallie/index.html)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Emperors_Hand_2211
02-24-2003, 04:15 AM
I'm a sucker for Jedi. They're actually pretty much the only saga figures I've got around to buying, what with funds being a little tight the last year.

Jaff
02-24-2003, 05:35 AM
I love the Jedi's too, but can't stand unleashed poses like Luminara, and Barris Offee. Still I would like to see them all made, but I would more enjoy the release of Cantina/Jabba denzies, senators, and obscure characters.

Banthaholic
02-24-2003, 11:32 AM
I say bring on more Jedi! After the OT only have Luke, Ben. and Darth it's refrshing to see all of these lightsabre twirling warriors. While I would love unmade OT charcaters as well, I hope to see a balance of the two. I would hardly call the jedi boring thogh...

Jargo
02-24-2003, 11:50 AM
Well, if you like taupe and brown then no, the jedi aren't boring..... ;)

187-Maul
02-24-2003, 12:15 PM
I really like the jedi figs and I think they are about the only type of figures I want this year, I have all the main characteres (like anakin, obi-wan etc.) and don't want any more respulpts of those (except when they are a HUGE improvement on the others) but the jedis just all look cool and are all different (except for the robes of course)
but I'd also love to see more Cantina and Jabba's Palace Aliens, the more obscure aliens the better:)

Kidhuman
02-24-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Jaff
I love the Jedi's too, but can't stand unleashed poses like Luminara, and Barris Offee. Still I would like to see them all made, but I would more enjoy the release of Cantina/Jabba denzies, senators, and obscure characters.

I love those poses. I think they look alot better than the others with gimmicks on them. At least it is a sort of nuetral pose.

jobi
02-24-2003, 09:01 PM
These "toys" are called "action" figures not stand around in robes looking like senator figures. Not that I don't want figures of every kind it's just that these are made for kids to play with. When I was a kid I would much rather have had a Jedi then a senator or any boring human for that matter. But now I want every figure that can be imagined. The only difference is I'm an adult now. Let's not forget these ARE toys.

Turbowars
02-24-2003, 09:25 PM
Oh no, here we go again with "these are only toys" thing again. ;) I think one of the reasons many of us like the just standing there pose, is because it reminds some of us of the vintage days and thats what the POTF2 and POTJ line did also. I don't know, that's just me. I really dislike some of the poses, but I'll tell you what, thay look good in the package.

Jargo
02-24-2003, 09:38 PM
Yup so why are hasbro giving us so many statues? :p I wouldn't necessarily have gone for a human senator as a kid but an alien one i would have bought before a Jedi. Senators might be stand up straight figures but they have interesting costumes and heads. All the jedi tend to look the same if you have them all together with all that brown plastic mingling into one big lump of dull like used plasticine or something. I mean it's different with imperials because the idea is that they all merge into one monstrous mass of army. But the Jedi just aren't exciting. A bunch of religious nuts with glow-sticks and bad dress sense. :crazed:

I'll buy a totally new Jedi character just so i have them but I'm not going to buy resculpts endlessly like a million and one mace Windus just because they exist. I'll buy the new Coleman Trebor and I'll buy the Jedi Council screen scene if it has new jedi in it. But once i have one of them that's it. But I'll always buy a character like Wat tambor or lama Su before any Jedi. This new lot of Anakin Obi and mace I could have done without to get Toonbuck Toora or Passel Argente or Hem dazon or any other alien. I'd have taken General madine or Lexi Dio or the human dex's diner waitress or Yarna D'al gargan. They all have much more visual appeal to me than a character in tan and brown robes with wellington boots on their feet and a stupid rats tail hairstyle or mullet hairdo. and Jedi posed in that Diana Ross and the Supremes "stop in the name of love" hand gesture pose do absolutely nothing for me and especially if they have a huge carbunkle looking magnet shoved into the hand. I'll take a neutral figure like Ephant mon or dexter Jettster anyday any time before i grab for a Jedi figure. The Jedi are a part of star wars but only a small part. the greater part of star wars is the believability and uniformity of the background details and characters. It's those that keep people talking and debating for years not the obvious foreground action and characters. the background is much more interesting than anything in the foreground anyway. Why else would people be screaming for cantina aliens all the time. You don't hear people screaming for a cantina Luke or ben kenobi or han solo. background background background. It's where the fun is.

mark2d2
02-24-2003, 10:11 PM
Jargo --- once again you've totally hit the nail on the head. The problem with most of these Jedi figures is that they really do all look the same.

Beast
02-24-2003, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by mark2d2
Jargo --- once again you've totally hit the nail on the head. The problem with most of these Jedi figures is that they really do all look the same.
And so do droids, we already have R2-D2 and C-3PO. So who cares if they never make any of the background droids. They basically all look the same with different paint jobs and heads. ;)

BTW, yes I am kidding. As long as the design is cool, the Jedi's are still neat. Especially since they don't all wear the exact same outfits. And even when they do, they still have as much reason to be produced as any of the other charecters. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Emperors_Hand_2211
02-25-2003, 03:55 AM
I don't like droids. Seriously. I find them boring.

(hides now)

Turbowars
02-25-2003, 10:35 AM
You better hide, buddy!:D

cassanova frankensti
02-25-2003, 01:19 PM
Most of the Jedi that have come out from ATOC have been great. They are mostly unique looking aliens. Even in 03 we get Coleman Trebor, Ayala Secura (thank God we are not just getting endless resculpts of humans in robes like in E1). I think we are in desperate need of Pablo Jill, Yarael Poof, Yaddle, Oppo Rancis & Evan Peil (all are cool-looking aliens). Im not so concerned about Hasbto making random namless humand Jedi. Hasbro MUST make these that I mentioned and in addition make more cantina aliens and more Jabba's palace aliens. I was not too impressed with the Coruscant citizens, they just werent as exciting as the ANH cantina or Jabbas palace.

Dark Lord Kakorotto
02-26-2003, 12:45 PM
I love Jedi! It is my favorite aspect of the Star Wars universe and I have every Jedi figure to date. I love them and I say keep em coming.