PDA

View Full Version : Norah sweeps the Grammy's!

The 'Xir
02-23-2003, 10:39 PM
Well, Norah Jones' "Don't know why", took pretty much every important grammy worth getting! Well, I don't know what you guys think, but it is a pretty cool and very soulful song! Well deserved I say! Congrats Norah!

So, did you guys see the grammy's tonight and what else did or didn't you like from the show?

James Boba Fettfield
02-23-2003, 10:41 PM
That song makes me want to sleep. It has no energy to it, nothing to get a guy moving his head and suffering whiplash. Where's the energy I ask?!

Oh, and I think I heard Fred Durst say the word "agreeance" during his brief award presentation.

Darth Jax
02-23-2003, 10:50 PM
The only reason to watch any of those awards shows was to see who showed up with who, and what they were wearing. now you don't even need to do that, just pick up the next issue of just about any magazine and its all presented for you. and you don't have to sit through 6 hours of show and 18 hours of pre-show red carpet coverage.

AndyW
02-23-2003, 11:32 PM
Just came in to post about this :D

Heres what the bbc had to say.
BBC News story-Norah Jones (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/2792459.stm)

I think the albums really fantastic, really really really good. So you could say I'm biased :)

plasticfetish
02-23-2003, 11:50 PM
The only thing that would make the Grammys more difficult to believe is if they decided to make it a cartoon. Every year I think ... yeah, that was stupid. How much worse can it be next year? They always manage ... what ... Nelly just lowered down to the stage by wire and harness ... HUH?!? (And who is Nelly? nevermind, I don't want to know.)

"Oh, and I think I heard Fred Durst say the word "agreeance" during his brief award presentation."

OH G--!!! With the time delay I just heard that mongo say it. UGH!

2-1B
02-23-2003, 11:54 PM
What a joke!

Bruce had the most solid album by far . . . but then again, Steely Dan won last year so the Jones win should not be surprising. :rolleyes:

Also, KoRn had no business taking an award over Zombie. ;)

Yes Jaymz, I heard Freddy say "agreeance" too. :D
It's funny because this week I heard reports that CBS was trying to prevent any war comments from those in attendance.
On that note, did it look like Sheryl Crow's hair covered up the "no" in "no war" on her guitar strap? :crazed:
It was hard for me to tell, since I was too annoyed by that star (blank)er Kid Rock. :rolleyes:

James Boba Fettfield
02-23-2003, 11:59 PM
I never heard those reports. I just watched Fred say he was going to say something and I knew it was not part of the script. Then he made up a word, and I couldn't stop laughing when he said it. Because he just kind of paused and looked at the screen after using it, then he continued to ramble on in his young boy voice. I was expecting him say something about him and Britney, not some sort of anti war message.

Exhaust Port
02-24-2003, 12:08 AM
It seems every person who wins a Grammy is nothing more than a trivia answer in 2 years. Norah Jones will be joining them shortly. The Grammy's are pointless.

plasticfetish
02-24-2003, 12:11 AM
I'm watching Springsteen right now ... I've got to admit ... Bruce Springsteen is my secret shame. I dunno ... I spend 20 years being all "punk rock" and saying that I can't stand the guy and now I find myself enjoying his music. Please, let's keep that from leaving this thread.

As far as any of this show goes ... or any of the lame "no war" stuff ... yeah, that's great! Tape some stupid message to your shirt or something ... in the mean time, James Taylor is gonna get up and make you look like a frog. Yeah ... most of this music MAKES me WANT to have a war. (Hopefully after admiting that I like "The Boss" I'll just die in my sleep tonight anyway.)

"Also, KoRn had no business taking an award over Zombie."

KoRn has no business taking air into their lungs.

JediTricks
02-24-2003, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by The 'Xir
important grammy Isn't that an oxymoron? :D

2-1B
02-24-2003, 01:28 AM
WHAT ?!?!?!?! You call Bruce a "shame" ?
Well, shame on YOU, PF ! :crazed:

Go ahead, keep enjoying him. The new album is outstanding, and the "barnstorming" tour he put on last summer was superb - this summer should see an even better run of shows. :)
3 of his nominations were for the actual song 'The Rising' while the other 2 were for the whole album. Honestly, I do really like the song but there are SEVERAL tracks on the CD that are far better IMO. :)

That being said, I couldn't agree with you more on the KoRn comment. :D

El Chuxter
02-24-2003, 12:13 PM
Norah's an excellent performer, and many of those Grammies were deserved. Bruce should've gotten a few of them, though, including Album of the Year.

It's sad that poor Norah got Best New Artist, though. 'Twas a good career while it lasted. We'll never hear from her again.

Of course, it was unfair for all to have the show open with Simon and Garfunkel pretty much blowing away everything that would occur in the next three hours. :D

Fulit
02-24-2003, 01:44 PM
Never heard of Norah Jones before she won a Grammy, and it's a real good thing, IMO, that no one really made any war comments. Especially those mal-talents Durst and Kid Rock. How rich artists with little education all became such political experts so suddenly is beyond me. I bet most of them won't even take the time to vote W out of office next year. Then it'll be 4 more years of whining. While I'm still on my soapbox I will say Down with the Grammy's and all other awards shows that shower further praise on already over-paid "artists" who's biggest contribution to humankind is to say "yeah" or "uh-huh" into a microphone.

2-1B
02-24-2003, 01:53 PM
Simon and Garfunkel? SIMON AND GARFUNKEL? Ugh, now I'll have to hear about their subsequent reunion shows . . . :dead:

Little Steven is my favorite bad singer. :)

The Overlord Returns
02-24-2003, 02:10 PM
well...........from what I heard last night....

Fred Durst must have attended the same grammar school as old George Dubya...

El Chuxter
02-24-2003, 02:25 PM
Hey, I was in agreeance all along!! :)

Caesar, I take it you don't like Paul Simon and his wart--I mean, partner? :D

What did everyone else think of N-Sync's shameless debasement of several Bee Gees' classics?

And I also heard on the radio that Avril Lavigne's seeming flashing of the audience at the beginning of her performance was shown only from behind because of an anti-war message printed in the lining of her jacket. But I've found nothing about this. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

The 'Xir
02-24-2003, 02:25 PM
I think the funniest thing I saw, was when Eminem came out wearing a "Free Yayo" shirt, which if I'm up on my street slang means cocaine! Now that's an anti-war message!!! :cool:

plasticfetish
02-24-2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
What did everyone else think of N-Sync's shameless debasement of several Bee Gees' classics?
Pretty lame. Those guys have surprisingly (or not) very little vocal range ... if you're comparing how they sang the songs to how the Bee Gees sang them. A very tranquilized tribute by a bunch of posing chimps with tweezed eyebrows.

Originally posted by El Chuxter
And I also heard on the radio that Avril Lavigne's seeming flashing of the audience at the beginning of her performance was shown only from behind because of an anti-war message printed in the lining of her jacket. But I've found nothing about this. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
Yeah, you could see when she took it off that there was something written on the inside with white tape or something. Better though is the middle finger patch she had sewn on the back that we did get to see ... ahh, the kids and their "punk music" ... or whatever witless version of it that they've adapted from frequent visits to the "punk rock" store at the mall. I would have an entirely different opinion if she HAD flashed the audience. That would be punk! Oh, Where's Wendy O Williams when we need her most?

The Overlord Returns
02-24-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by plasticfetish
ahh, the kids and their "punk music" ... or whatever witless version of it that they've adapted from frequent visits to the "punk rock" store at the mall. I would have an entirely different opinion if she HAD flashed the audience. That would be punk! Oh, Where's Wendy O Williams when we need her most?

I know you were being sarcastic....but please...for me...never, NEVER mention the words "punk" and Avril Lavigne together again....

God...I'm sure the whole event and look around her was orchestrated by the record company....just as her entire "anti britney" career has been.....

Why does she have to be from MY country?? ;)

James Boba Fettfield
02-24-2003, 04:35 PM
I was wondering what that was about when she had the jacket open. I told my friend who I was watching it with that she is flashing the audience, then you get to see she had something on underneath it. Yeah, I noticed that middle finger patch she had on the back of the coat, too. I just forgot all of those highlights due to Fred.

Would it be safe to say we're all in agreeance over that?

plasticfetish
02-24-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by The Overlord Returns
I know you were being sarcastic....but please...for me...never, NEVER mention the words "punk" and Avril Lavigne together again...
Not "punk" ... we should make up a new word ... "NONK". It's sort of like those meat substitutes ... not+punk=NONK.

When you say "MY" country, I assume that it means you're not from the states? I frankly assumed she was from the US ... now I'm confused. You see, we have these stores at our huge shopping malls that are completely formula ... you can go in one and find a calculated array of "punk and or goth" fashions and accessories within walking distance of the "food court". Most of what the young people I run into know about Punk comes from having looked at the T-shirts in those stores. In a way it's infuriating ... in another way it's funny ... in even another way it's the modern day equivelent of what Malcolm Mclaren started on Kings Road back in '71. Then lastly and most quietly we have to admit that she (Avril) is sort of cute in her little outfits ... I enjoy the shows more with the volume off anyway ... and now we'll move on.

... and yes ... it is UNIVERSALY agreed that Fred Durst is a goon. We call all of the young guys around here that have the backwards base ball hat "whatever-his-style-is" style "Dursts".

... and lastly, I like Little Steven too (Caesar) ... but he really does spit when he sings more than he should. Oh wait ... it was a Clash tribute ... was that "gobbing?"

The Overlord Returns
02-25-2003, 09:00 AM
Not "punk" ... we should make up a new word ... "NONK". It's sort of like those meat substitutes ... not+punk=NONK.

NONK>..I like it.... ;)

When you say "MY" country, I assume that it means you're not from the states? I frankly assumed she was from the US ... now I'm confused.

No...she's from Canada...the pride of napanee, Ontario.... :rolleyes:

derek
03-08-2003, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Caesar

I heard Freddy say "agreeance"

well...........from what I heard last night....

Fred Durst must have attended the same grammar school as old George Dubya...

Originally posted by James Boba Fettfield

Oh, and I think I heard Fred Durst say the word "agreeance" during his brief award presentation.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/ae/jump/1809910

:D

Exhaust Port
03-08-2003, 09:15 AM
No...she's from Canada...the pride of napanee, Ontario.... :rolleyes:

So other than Rush, has Canada produced any other good musicians? I'm not trying to pick on Canada but I much prefer the Canadian comedian exports than the music.

James Boba Fettfield
03-08-2003, 09:49 AM
Canada gave us Anvil with their Metal on Metal attack.

Fred got lucky on the agreeance word, but he's still an idiot.

2-1B
03-08-2003, 11:45 AM
No kidding !

He used a word not in existence for 300 years . . . . he didn't use it because he knew it was a word - he used it because he goofed up and couldn't come up with the right word. :D

Lucky indeed ! :crazed:

Exhaust Port
03-08-2003, 12:56 PM
Right or wrong, no ones going to buy his albums anyway.

The 'Xir
03-08-2003, 01:47 PM
Hey I'm a product of the 80's, Bryan Adams Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, atleast he use to!

Viva la Fran...I mean Canada!

jjreason
03-15-2003, 01:10 PM
All Canadian....

Alanis Morrissette
Tragically Hip
Sloan
Nickelback
Treble Charger
Choclair
Swollen Members
Our Lady Peace
Barenaked Ladies
Bryan Adams (as posted above)
Diana Krall

And much/many more. Whatever style you like, music's alive and kicking up here, NO DOOT ABOOT IT!!!:D

Jargo
03-17-2003, 03:09 PM
Norah jones is just a Tori Amos wannabe. And twice as dull. "but is it art...?" in a pigs ear it's art!!!!!!

Barenaked ladies are sh***! man they make me want to reach for the broiling acid to pour down my throat and end the misery with enraged pain. Springsteen is just a sad old man croaking nonsense. Why can't these assclowns just give it all up while they're at the top rather than slide down the other side of the hill of success? People like Rod Stewart and Mick Jagger and Stephen Tyler and Van Morrison and Robert Plant and David Bowie and Paul McCartney and any of those interchangable people who regularly get aired on crap radio stations across the globe. Just shoot them all and stop them producing these sh*** records for gods sake!!! These dinosaurs from thankfully forgotten eras should all just be buried in a mass rock star grave and built on top of with old age pensioners condos. Lock up any unreleased material from their latter years and just leave us with the pleasant memories of when they still had creativity and talent.

Music awards shows are all about the politics of record companies. it's not about the artists at all just the money they earned for their record companies. just a big ****ing contest to see which record company can get the most gongs. plus the tv stations getting the ratings for airing the biggest and best awards ceremony. There too is a stupid ****ing contest. These huge companies are run by 'tards. Kids playground fights and squabbles in the boardrooms. pathetic the whole lot of them. Let them be used for target practice in the gulf. take the whole music industry and let it burn in eternal purgatory. Damn them all to hell!!!!!!!!!

Porcelina
03-17-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
Norah jones is just a Tori Amos wannabe. And twice as dull. "but is it art...?" in a pigs ear it's art!!!!!!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPS!

blaspheme!!

against tori amos, of course, not that norah jones tw*(i)t :p

seriously, how can you even compare them? norah jones is poppy jazz crap, nothing like my tori ;)

now, if you've heard her, sarah slean is a complete and utter tori amos rip off

then again, tori amos was kind of a kate bush imitator, anyway, so i guess it's only fair...... :)

but i still love her!!!!

Jargo
03-17-2003, 05:37 PM
I actually like Tori for when i feel mopey and suicidal. it brightens me up to think there's someone more miserable than me. No Norah jones is the darling of the media right now which winds me up because it's all the thirty something people buying that crap. convenience shoppers who buy there music in grocery stores rather than music stores, who buy whatever they get told to buy in the ad breaks. Who buy music that appears i the top ten lists only rather than go out on a limb and try something random and new and never heard of. music store pot luck. I do that, i go to a music store and pick albums at random because i like the sound of the song titles or the lyrics or the cover. I don't care for commercial poo. I like to be surprised good or bad. I collect kitsch pop singles from obscure german techno maniacs and i collect cover versions of stuff done by anonymous musicians and sold in petrol (gas) stations and bargain bazaarr stores. I love listening to stuff by complete unknown bands, stuff that's been at the back of a rack for months and is all dusty is what i go for straight away, if no-one wants it then it must be good. Commercial stuff is all the same riffs and the same lyrics and the same sentiments. go random next time you go shopping for music. Buy old music not new stuff. New stuff is just all sampled anyway. It samples the back catalog stuff you should be buying. New music is not interesting. New music is a lie and derivative. new music is all poo. Listening to Avril lavigne's skater boy is Tiffany 'I think we're alone now' there is nothing new left to do it's all repetition now. And really really bad cover versions and re-writes. I'm sick to the teeth of hearing R and B cover versions mangling old classics. They aren't even being clever with it. Dross lyrics saying the same thing over and over to a badly cut and pasted sample and repetitive beat. dull dull dull. Rap music is much the same, garage is much the same. even techno and dance is just imitation and repetition. Music stopped back in '94 since then everything has been regurgitation. Go random and buy old. Leave this new crap on the shelves.

Jedi Clint
03-17-2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Porcelina
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPS!

blaspheme!!

against tori amos, of course, not that norah jones tw*(i)t :p

seriously, how can you even compare them? norah jones is poppy jazz crap, nothing like my tori ;)

now, if you've heard her, sarah slean is a complete and utter tori amos rip off

then again, tori amos was kind of a kate bush imitator, anyway, so i guess it's only fair...... :)

but i still love her!!!!

I enjoyed both of the Tori Amos concerts I attended. :)

Kate's album "Hounds of Love" is one of my favorites.

The 'Xir
03-18-2003, 01:54 AM
Music stopped back in '94 since then everything has been regurgitation. Go random and buy old. Leave this new crap on the shelves.

'94?!!! No offense, but how old r u again EJ?!!!
EJ- I commend you and resuggest that everyone buy something random once in awhile, but...

Jagger, Plant, McCartney...interchangeable?

Dude, you have to remember that one day, I know it sounds impossible, but...you'll be old!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! I know! Horrible isn't it!
Music is relative, only because there are new listeners discovering new things or the same old shyte you've been listening to for years, everyday! So, It's new to them, that why those "Interchangeable names you suggested have beeen around for sooo long!!!!!!

But artist and musicians have been copying each other ever since the 30's and 40's when recordable commercial music first started to take it's first steps!!!! Especially blues artists, who's education didn't allow then to understand reading music and things like copywritting! So, their natural expressions would be shared among each other, and often a song created/writen by one artist would be recorded by another! No, laws, no copyrights, no lawyers, just pure musical expressions or in your words..."regurgitations"!!!!!!

Porcelina
03-18-2003, 08:53 AM
this is a tad old, but, did you guys hear about it?

Fred Durst's 'agreeance' OK

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- The experts are in agreeance. Rocker Fred Durst was right after all.

Durst, lead singer of the rap-metal band Limp Bizkit, was widely mocked after he deviated from the script at the Grammy Awards to offer an anti-war sentiment that grated on the ears of grammarians: "I just really hope we're all in agreeance that this war should go away as soon as possible."

Wordsmiths everywhere agreed: Durst is dumb. Barry Koltnow of the Orange County Register called him illiterate. The Atlanta Journal Constitution said its copy desk was "in agreement that 'agreeance' isn't a word."

The Weekly Standard dubbed the performer "Fred Dunce."

But it turns out that Durst has some heavy linguistic hitters on his side. The North American editor of the Oxford English Dictionary told the New York Observer newspaper that "agreeance" is, in fact, a word. "It's in the OED," editor Jesse Sheindler told the paper. "He did use it correctly.

Sheindler said that "agreeance" was an obsolete word, having passed out of circulation by about 1714, but noted that it was still used occasionally -- especially in Australia.

Jargo
03-18-2003, 09:11 AM
Agreeance is still widely used in the UK. And yes it is in the OED.

they didn't mean dunce they meant 'commi bastard pacifist hippie freak freeloading lowlife quitter'.

but I digress. :rolleyes:

El Chuxter
03-18-2003, 02:39 PM
Avril lavigne's skater boy is Tiffany 'I think we're alone now'

So you'd give it that much credit? :D

EJ, I sorta agree and sorta disagree on the "aged rockers" issue. I'm not going to question at all that a lot of performers, like the Who or Rod Stewart or the Rolling Stones, should've quit thirty years ago. The original fans grew up and started listening to bad adult contemporary, so the bands either moved with them or fell into a sad little retro groove indistinguishable from the oldies circuit only by the costs of tickets. But then you've got quite a few that are living up to their old reputations. Carlos Santana, for example, is more popular by far than thirty years ago, and still swings one of the meanest axes in the biz. Or how about Johnny Cash, who's not only as popular as he was fifty years ago, but putting out better material?

Awards shows of any type--not just music--are political and nothing more than tooting the industry's own horn and reflecting the basest level of pop culture. This year, Norah Jones pretty much swept everything. But what about Tom Petty? The Last DJ is easily the best rock album of 2002, but it's pretty much 45 minutes of ripping the recording industry a new orifice. And thus, it got no nominations, much less awards.

The Norah Jones issue: she's got a great voice, she plays decent piano, and she has some good songs. She isn't "great" in my book since she doesn't write her own material, but I thought her voice was good enough to buy the CD a year ago. In the time since, she's become a media darling and I'm getting sick of her. She is definitely no Tori Amos. If you want "Tori lite," try Vanessa Carlton. She at least writes her own stuff, even if it is kitschy.

From my experiences in the UK (one trip to London several years ago), you actually have some selection as far as CDs. Most of the major chains here carry only a few hundred of the most popular CDs, and they don't even do special orders anymore. About 75% of my music buying is online, since I usually don't want the hot new singles. Finding stuff online is a chore if you don't know exactly what you're looking for; finding new stuff is next to impossible. Also, two companies own almost all the radio stations here, so if you don't like Van Halen 83 times a day, you're out of luck. I'd like to try out more music, but it's hard to find good stuff, and a few $15 investments on stuff that ends up sucking is enough to turn just about anyone from the practice.

Oh, and every ten years or so, music gets stale and boring. Then some upstart Nirvana or Sex Pistols or Doors or so on come along and shake things up. Then their sound gets co-opted into the mainstream, and ten years later someone else shakes it up again. . . .

Jargo
03-18-2003, 03:40 PM
Okay so I was ranting and being melodramatic. Good points though chux' Vanessa carlton was someone i was trying to remember earlier. There's another one who escapes me but is on a apar with tori and writes and plays her own stuff and doesn't sing trite crud. Just escapes me for now what her name is.

Over here music stores are getting more commercial. Big stores like HMV are still the best place to buy music. VIRGIN stores are not worth bothering with unless you like middle of the road music-lite. The independent music stores like Probe in Liverpool are excellent. And if you want to hear good music rather than poo then tune into the John Peel show on BBC world service. He's been the daddy of new artists and new music here since the sixties and he was the main exponent of punk back in 1976. he's daring and guileless, brave and pioneering in what he plays, his collection of music is collosal and it's completely random what he'll play, but ninety percent is class. and if it's not class then it's at least thought provoking or interesting. I've been listening to his show since 1978 and he just hasn't changed. He is one of the few radio DJ's who actually cares about music itself and the whole scene and artists and festivals. It's non commercial so no advert crap and no poiltics, no crass record company sales poo. just good music and a cracking fella.

I sort of agree about carlos Santana but i on't know that i'd say his new stuff is better than older stuff, he can still 'do the do' but I just don't get the same feel from him i used to. McCartney has never been any good without Lennon so he should have given it all up years ago. Jagger can still just about manage his numbers but why bother? with all that money why not just let the past be and let go. stop clogging the racks with the same old rehashed songs. The original recordings were the best and remasters are sacrilige IMO.
Analogue sounds so much better than digital recordings. Digital is sterile and has no real feeling. i want to hear scratch and click on my recordings. Vinyl will always be the best medium. No matter what comes now or whether we stick with CD the sound of Vinyl is king. Kids won't know what they missed. Vynil sound floated on the air and reverberated the air, Digital CD recordings and modern equipment just make music into bland background sound, just more irritating audio fuzz. like an annoying tinny wasp or a deep artic' truck engine rumbling incessently.

I appreciate that i'm sounding like old methusela but i just think this is one case where we really did have it better back then.

And it's over ten years since kate bush made her last album which was 'The red shoes' IIRC yeah it must be around ten years ago. I know I bought that album in 93/4 and it'd been out a while then. Now kate bush was a real talent. Strange and wonderful. gifted and weird. But those songs just so stand up to the test of time. in a class on their own. but that to me is indicative of when music died. after 93/4 no-one really put out anything worth buying. house music became the in thing and then garage and rap. none of which is worth dumping on. and now it's a fight between those genres and pap and manufactured for tv bands like the crud coming out of pap idol. idiots from reality tv shows getting record contracts because they hummed a tune in the shower one day and they're famous for fifteen minutes so cash in while you can. just all crap and then rap with such nonsense lyrics, if those guys want to kill each other then just build a big arena anmd let them shoot each other if it makes them happy. As long they stop whining about how big thay are and what cars and clothes they have and how many frickin bling bling diamonds they have. And that eminenema guy should just shut the crap up about his boring frickin life and go get some therapy with all the money he's made from his multi-platinum selling CD. Just shut up already you repetitive whining freak. boring droning whining ****ing contests coming at you wherever you go, out of ever radio on every tv station and coming out of ever car that passes by with the thump thum whumping basslines giving you a headache while you wait. All this modern crap is standing on and raping all the real music which never sees the light of day, back catalogues need freeing and releasing once more and let them stand on all this 'new' crap. sure the tempo is slower and the basslines aren't frickin' phat but when did these rap artists ever make any music? when did they ever actually paly a damn instrument. they ahve no place in music charts because they don't make music they rip it apart and trash stuff and use some nice melody as a backdrop to a poem about about blowing someones head off foe not having any bling, for wearing the wrong color, rap is crap and anyone who thinnks rap is going to change the world is only right in that it makes the world more boring and offers less choice and adds to crime levels and statistics indirectly or directly. thought provoking it is not it only provokes violence and/or stupor.

ranting again. forgive me. once I start I find it hard to finish. But now i am. :happy:

jjreason
03-18-2003, 09:51 PM
I think the most important thing is listening to music you actually like - that says something to you and makes you feel good. **** on the charts, and what your friends say. If you like, it's good music. End.

Jargo
03-21-2003, 02:28 PM
Yeah y'know I just wish the charts would die a death. Great that we have music shows on TV and on the radio but i'm sick of hearing the same tracks day in day out, screw the charts and let's get back to having music played because it's good. If there's no damn shows telling people they should buy something because it's hip then good music will get a chance while thedross will sink back into the slime from whence it came. I sat and listened to some club music before on the radio and i have to say I've never heard more amateur crap in my life. It sounded like someone with a bontempi organ in a bathroom recording it all into a dictafone. bad bad bad.
They should re-introduce those listening booths into all music stores. That way folk can hear what they picked up properly instead of having to go stand tethered to a listening pillar in the center of the store like a naughty pooch. That is so humiliating. You want to listen to something because you don't know if you weant to buy it so you have to go and stand in the center of the store and be gaped at like the local halfwit. The old days of booths was much better. I agree that people shouldn't take the music in with them but at least make the experience more personal and less like a social skills contest - "survive the trial of listening by endurance and you may pass citizen into the realms of the cool."
And why are there no ways to access the database the stores use to order stuff, so you can see for yourself what's in stock and whether you need to order it specially. The world just isn't ready for me or I'm too advanced for the world. All these things should work so slickly and so easily but people are just too pig lazy to bother. People just accept too much without question. Man it makes me so angry, the world is full of morons and nothing is being done about it dman the morons to hell I'm starting a cult of the terminally irritated to stamp out stupidity. Who's with me? :stupid:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-21-2003, 02:56 PM
I'm a fan of both Tori Amos and Norah Jones. I have Jones' album as well as most of Tori's and i enjoy them both immensely. so, it is possible. Cheerio! :D

The 'Xir
03-21-2003, 10:59 PM
after 93/4 no-one really put out anything worth buying.

One word for yah EJ... Radiohead! :cool:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-21-2003, 11:19 PM
I second that, my friend!! Radiohead is AWESOME!!

Hey Xir, head to www.greenplastic.com they got some fun filled RH news! cheers!!

Emperor Howdy
03-22-2003, 12:18 AM
**Howdy crashes through door, headbangs, screams "Metal Up Your ***!!.....Soundgarden rules!", then runs out of room**

jjreason
03-22-2003, 07:11 AM
JJ likes Soundgarden too, but after Badmotorfinger they "Metallica'd" on us. Not that there's anything wrong with that......

Jargo
03-22-2003, 07:30 AM
Radiohead are nothing more than navel gazing depressives. :p No they're okay but nothing special. Nothing is memorable anymore. It all just sounds like one long guitar with effects dirge blending into every other guitar with effects dirge. Pop uses the same beats constantly and incessant cymbals done on synthesizer so it all blends into one long tinitus screech. I just find it incredibly hard to distinguish where one track ends and another begins. There is no variety anymore. Homogenous pap music and that's almost every genre. There will be exeptions for sure but for the most part music is incredibly dull. Lyrically it's apalling. Probably why i've bought so little new music in the last seven years. It's so rare that anything actually leaps out at me and says 'NEW' and makes me want to go seek it out.

El Chuxter
08-02-2006, 11:39 PM
It's sad that poor Norah got Best New Artist, though. 'Twas a good career while it lasted. We'll never hear from her again.

Man, I'm glad to eat those words. :)

I just wanted to dredge this up, since everyone seems to be in a prospecting mood lately, so I can say that Norah Jones is so incredibly freaking cool, she even sounds sexy singing a doofy country song about cow tippin'.

And she's magically babelicious.

Rocketboy
08-03-2006, 10:57 AM
Man, I'm glad to eat those words. :)

I just wanted to dredge this up, since everyone seems to be in a prospecting mood lately, so I can say that Norah Jones is so incredibly freaking cool, she even sounds sexy singing a doofy country song about cow tippin'.

And she's magically babelicious.Word.

Norah is awesome. I never get sick of listening to "Come Away With Me" (the album). I even got the wife to agree to "Come Away With Me" as our first dance song at the wedding. "Feels Like Home" is good also, but not as good as CAWM. She needs to release something else and soon. Maybe (hopefully) she'll have some stuff on the "My Blueberry Nights" soundtrack.
Norah, Natalie Portman, Jude Law, Ed Harris, and Rachel Weisz all in one movie? I am so there when it opens.

Anyone hear "The Peter Malick Group featuring Norah Jones?" It was older stuff released to cash in on her sudden fame shortly after the Grammy's. Only 7 songs (6 actually - one is another edit). Decent stuff.

El Chuxter
08-03-2006, 11:09 AM
Yeah, that's an awesome CD. Check out the self-titled album by The Little Willies (named after Willie Nelson, not the other thing that probably comes to mind more immediately). Norah fronts a fairly decent country group. And sings about what that guy from the Velvet Underground does when in Texas.

Rocketboy
12-22-2006, 09:07 PM
Looks like Norah has a new cd due out at the end of January.
:thumbsup:

http://www.bordersstores.com/search/title_detail.jsp?id=56630354

El Chuxter
12-23-2006, 06:45 PM
So she's got one blues CD, one jazz CD, one sorta jazz/country CD, and one country CD. Plus guest appearances ranging from Mike Patton to Andre 3000. I wonder what genre she'll go for on this album?

2-1B
12-23-2006, 07:04 PM
Whatever genre it is, that's one more genre of hers that I will be boycotting.

El Chuxter
12-23-2006, 07:06 PM
But, Caesar, doesn't Mike Patton count as both alternative and heavy metal?

Whatever will you do now?

2-1B
12-23-2006, 07:15 PM
Depends, are we talking Fath No More or Mr. Bungle ? :D

Rocketboy
12-23-2006, 10:49 PM
So she's got one blues CD, one jazz CD, one sorta jazz/country CD, and one country CD.Her two albums and The Little Willies and...what am I missing? You mean The Peter Malick Group?

I wonder what genre she'll go for on this album?I've got one of her new songs "Thinking About You" downloaded through a link I got in my email (same way I learned of the album). Good song - reminds me of the Come Away With Me stuff, which makes me very happy, since it's my favorite Norah music.
(EDIT: You can stream "Thinking About You" on her site (http://www.norahjones.com/))

I'd love to hear a Christmas album from her. Granted, this new hits in January so it won't be that, but dare to dream.

El Chuxter
12-24-2006, 10:12 AM
Yeah, the Peter Malick group. The original with the blue cover, which isn't all pop remixes. It's some very solid blues vocals.

And Caesar, we're actually talking Peeping Tom, so it's probably not really worth mentioning. FNM kept Mr Patton in line; he's lost without them.

Rocketboy
09-10-2009, 08:36 PM
Norah Jones
The Fall
November 17, 2009

:thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
09-12-2009, 08:28 AM
So, she's gonna sweep the Grammy's again?