PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about there being Star Wars short cartoons?

Tycho
02-24-2003, 03:19 AM
It looks like the Clone Wars are coming to TV.

"Shorts" are supposed to be intermission timed cartoons, put in during the time commercials are normally run, and instead these adventure clips run just a little longer than your average commercial break I gather.

Subscription-package cable channels like the cartoon network don't rely on advertising so much, since they get cable-company user fees I think.

Thus there can be Star Wars shorts in between 15 minute cartoon segments of another cartoon show.

It is expected that television guides will list when the Star Wars segments will air (during what programs), but I'm not sure how many segments will air per day, and if they should be viewed in any particular order, like a serial drama, or if the same one will be repeated each day, and then the new one airs in the next 24 hours.

It sounds like a lot of trouble to go to understand all this and view these cartoons.

I'm going to see how hard it is to tape these 'toons, and if it causes an inconvenience or a pile of video tapes to start forming, I'll just ignore this material until a broadcast special, VHS, or DVD release comes out.

I would have so much more preferred a 30-minute solid SW cartoon show on its own. If successful, they could finally do Shadows of the Empire this way, since Han was frozen and they wouldn't need Harrison at his prices, but Mark and Carrie, plus James Earl Jones could lend their voice talents to it and finally make that adventure between Empire and Jedi a reality. But while we're more on the topic of the Clone Wars, I want to see so much more than just snipets!

What do you all think?

James Boba Fettfield
02-24-2003, 04:12 AM
I look at it this way, it's better than having no cartoon series at all. I'm eagerly awaiting the shorts.

mtriv73
02-24-2003, 07:39 AM
My cable company doesn't offer cartoon network and has no plans to add any more channels. So, I guess I'll have to wait. I'm sure they'll be released on video at some point (you can't blame Mr. Lucas for making a buck anywhere he can.) Even if I switch to a satellite receiver, I don't think I'd want to sit there through random cartoons to see a 2 minutes clone wars short.

rdrunr89
02-24-2003, 08:06 AM
My cable company doesnt' offer cartoon network yet it was just bought out by Comcast so who knows. I'd rather hope for a dvd. Either that or a 30 min cartoon rather than the 2-3 minute shorts.

evenflow
02-24-2003, 08:20 AM
I hope they release them on DVD. There is no way i will be able to check them all out if not.

Pete
02-24-2003, 08:49 AM
From the still shots I've seen the animation looks like it might be a little lackluster. But I'm willing to give it a shot anyway, a good soundtrack and SE can make up for the animation real easy. I don't watch much tv so the chances of me catching it are slim. Probably wait for the dvd.

Pete:)

zeroplate
02-24-2003, 10:29 AM
"I want to see so much more than just snipets! "

C'mon! The fact that there is going to be new, actual produced material that relates to the Star Wars story and doesn't rely on goofy, non-movie characters to drive a story should be enough, shouldn't it? These forums continually rub me the wrong way... "I want this, I want that, more more, Lucas did this wrong, this toy isn't how I want it, why isn't there this figure or why can't they make this cartoon more user-friendly for ME ME ME."

Star Wars fandom is something everyone here chooses to be a part of, so to constantly bemoan all of the 'shortcomings' of all the tie-in products and entertainment that is being produced for you seems a little weak. Just be glad you aren't Battlestar Galactica fans!

m:mad:

Vortex
02-24-2003, 11:48 AM
I gave up on cable years ago so I no longer have it.

I'm not over excited about a cartoon short, and I wasn't about to change my life schedule to try and catch a 2 min or 5 minuet short anyway, so I'll just wait for a DVD or something.

Rogue II
02-24-2003, 02:08 PM
I've decided I am not going to judge the show until I see it. Of couse I'm a bit forgetful and cartoon's and TV in general aren't usually high on my priority list. So, I will probably miss a lot of the shows and will have to wait until I see the entire series when they have a "marathon" or when it comes on DVD. Bottom line: I'm not that excited about these and I'll see them when I see them.

OC47150
02-24-2003, 04:42 PM
I'll try and tape them (along with everything else I tape!) I'll cross my fingers for a DVD collection at some point.

Still, a SW cartoon -- shorts or long form -- is better than no SW cartoon at all!

LusiferSam
02-24-2003, 05:26 PM
I'm somewhere between "could care less" and "wait and see." Droids and Ewoks have left a unpleasant taste as the years go by. So who knows, Clone Wars may go down hard at first but end up being good.

c_richards
02-24-2003, 06:46 PM
I really want to give these "shorts" a chance. It's very easy for me to go on a tyraid and point out all the short-comming I can forsee, however we all might be impressed and this might be the best thing to happen in the STAR WARS EU.

From what I have been able to gather, it sounds like they really are going out and making a show that is going to combine intense story telling with a bit of comedy mixed in! Fine... I don't forsee any problems there.... but please... no dopey sillness like a clonetrooper that gets dizzy, or wasn't made properly so now he's exceptionally stupid or dopey!!!! This isn't the Seven Dwarves here. :)

The fact that the guy that Created Dexter's Lab and Samuari Jack is doing the show is a bit of a relief since he knows what he is doing, and pays a lot of attention to everything....

I really am looking forward to seeing the show, and I hope it does very well. Who knows, if this show is a huge success, it might open the door to more EU STAR WARS cartoons like possibly SOTE, or maybe more of what happens after ROTJ, like seeing an animated version of Han and Leia's wedding, the twins being born, Luke's Jedi Acadamy, Rogue Squadron, etc.

Of course, like I said...I could be very critical. If it was a perfect world, and everything went the way I thought it should, then the show would be at least 30 minutes in length, and all CGI. I'd love to see ILM make a show since they have all the models, backgrounds, and all already.... why not. Let's face it, Roughnecks was a much better show/cartoon when compared to the movie it was based on, Starship Troopers.

Maybe the "perfect" STAR WARS show will happen in time......... :)
Until the next time...
MTFBWY!!!!

JediTricks
02-24-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Tycho
Subscription-package cable channels like the cartoon network don't rely on advertising so much, since they get cable-company user fees I think.
Actually, you're way off base there. Cartoon Network's primary income is advertising, they just chop it up into different shaped blocks than other stations so instead of 3 commercial blocks interrupting a 30-minute show, they have slightly longer blocks before and after the show and only 1 long block in the middle.

It is expected that television guides will list when the Star Wars segments will air (during what programs), but I'm not sure how many segments will air per day, and if they should be viewed in any particular order, like a serial drama, or if the same one will be repeated each day, and then the new one airs in the next 24 hours. Don't count on that, Cartoon Network already airs lots of little 3 minute in-between cartoons in place of certain commercial blocks without showing them in their TV listings (on-site or off-site); during Adult Swim you'll often find a "New Adventures of Wonder Twins" or "Baby Thundarr" that don't appear in the TV Guide. Also, none of these are shown in any particular order that I can discern, expect a lot of repeats.

Originally posted by LusiferSam
I'm somewhere between "could care less" and "wait and see." Droids and Ewoks have left a unpleasant taste as the years go by. That's pretty much my current take on this, with the addition that I don't really like Samurai Jack's low-end simplistic animation even though I like that style on Dexter's Laboratory.

Basically, I think 6-7 minute shorts would have been much better, that's what Dexter's Lab has and it is plenty of time to get through an entire story and have enough room to add a little gravy as well. At 2 to 3 minutes, the current in-between shorts on Cartoon Network feel more rushed and 1-note even though some are entertaining.

dr_evazan22
02-24-2003, 08:32 PM
Bring 'em on! I can't wait to see them, but I think it may be a hassle trying to figure out when they will air. I don't regularly watch the Cartoon Network, occasionally Justice League, so, we'll see.

I am eagerly waiting though.

Turbowars
02-24-2003, 08:51 PM
You know what would be funny is if the 2-3 minute so called cartoon was made by hasbro as a commerical for their toys. I wouldn't put it past them. 2 minutes for the cartoon and one minute to show all the GREAT Clone Wars toys. I wont make a big effort to see the show, thats what TI-VO is for.

gsr-jedi
02-24-2003, 09:32 PM
I can't wait to see how the show is. I'm excited that it's a new Star Wars adventure, I wish it was longer, but I'll take what I can get. I hope the same episode is aired like 2 times an hour, so it'll be easy to catch the show without missing it.

decadentdave
02-24-2003, 10:15 PM
When I first heard about it, it sounded like a good idea, but one look at the Samurai Jack animation and it tells me everything I (already) need to know. They have got it all wrong. These "shorts" serve no other purpose than as infomercials to sell the toys and keep the idea of Star Wars planted in the consciousness of the public during the off-years leading up to Episode 3. It is clear that Lucasfilm no longer cares about making an ambitious effort to give the fans what they really want to see. I would have expected something more along the lines of 22 half-hour episodes in full CGI rendered animation like Starship Troopers Roughnecks or something. Instead, we get these little "fillers" that only serve as marketing ploys. I really liked Attack of the Clones, in spite of its flaws, and I would really like to see the fabled Clone Wars chronicled but once again my expectations are crushed by some half-arsed effort by Lucasfilm. Lucas just can't seem to make his stuff work on TV. Look at Droids, look at Ewoks, look at The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, and (don't) look at The Star Wars Holiday Special. In fact, I would rather see the animation team that brought us the Boba Fett cartoon in the Star Wars Holiday Special do the animation than the crew of Samurai Jack. I think they could have really put together something really extraordinary but alas, I shouldn't expect so much.

toyreaver
02-24-2003, 11:33 PM
I think they will hold there own. If you are a true diehard Star Wars fan, you'll have to at least check them out. I would love to see someone get the rights from Lucas to do CGI or cartoon based adaptations of the events in between each move and beyond similar to Titan A.E. and Final Fantasy. Hey, at least it will keep us busy until Episode III.

darth maul rat
02-24-2003, 11:50 PM
I am torn between the setting up a vcr and the waiting for a dvd/broadcast special. While I suppose I should be happy that we are getting anything at all extra, what will probably only add up to about an hour's worth of animation is a letdown. Given how big a deal Hasbro was making out of this, I envisioned at least 13 episodes. Instead we get 20 "shorts". A Bart Simpson response about shorts comes to mind.

I figure that I will have the best of intentions and try to tape these things for a while, but once it becomes a chore, and believe me kids it will become a chore, it will fall to the wayside and I will hope for the DVD or special that ties them all together.

Oh well, at least my son will get some new clone troopers to play with out of the deal.

Tycho
02-25-2003, 01:54 AM
What will figures look like? Samarui Jack-style charicature figures, or figures that go with our regular line?

I'm guessing the latter, due to the vehicles being out of place with cartoony figures.

While I liked the Playskool line, this is apples to oranges. I'm thinking I'm going to hold out and see what this stuff is.

Thank the Force I'm not a completist!

plasticfetish
02-25-2003, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by rdrunr89
My cable company doesn't offer cartoon network yet it was just bought out by Comcast so who knows.
Comcast just purchased/merged with/swallowed up my cable company (AT&T Broadband) and I'm sure they will continue to eat them all up from here. We've had Cartoon Network for a little while now ... had to complain for a year until one day it magically appeared on the box. It's a regular part of my day ... and with that said, I have no problem loosening up and waiting for these cartoon shorts to just happen. Isn't it possible to look forward to this as being a random and pleasant surprise? If you've got it on and you see one, then great ... "Why look a Star Wars cartoon, what a nice treat." Relax and enjoy huh?

Originally posted by JediTricks
with the addition that I don't really like Samurai Jack's low-end simplistic animation ...
Grrrr. Not "simplistic" ... minimalist and stylized. Look, everything has its place ... I was watching "Evangelion" today thinking how beautiful and perfectly detailed the overall look of the show is. That's what works for that story and perhaps what will work best for these shorts is something uncluttered by details that would otherwise be a burden given the time constraints. Fine, I'm biased, I like Samurai Jack and am firmly impressed by its cinema like elements. They help to set tones and move the stories along in surprising and original ways. The only thing that I'm shocked by is that G.L., the king of digital imagery, has picked an approach that will rely more on pacing, style and story telling ... instead of how many polygons he can squeeze onto the head of a pin.

I voted "Bring them on! I can't wait to watch Cartoon Network!"

SNAYSON
02-25-2003, 12:14 PM
i have better things to watch than waiting for the cartoon shorts to come up between cartoons. i'll wait & hope a dvd comes out or a special airing.

darthcow
02-25-2003, 12:48 PM
Finally some animation after many long years. Hopefully this leads to lucas allowing more adventures for the star wars universe. It would be great to get a live action show like star trek. I'll take what I can get and since my kids love to watch the cartoon net work I'm sure Ill catch several quickies a day. Maybe these quickies will lead to something more promising. My kids love star wars at the ages of 2 & 3 so I'm sure this will help them prepare for Episode III and make them beg for more star wars toys for DAD!

Lets all pray for a better tomorro with a new balanced jedi order.

sith_killer_99
02-26-2003, 12:08 PM
"I want to see so much more than just snipets! "

C'mon! The fact that there is going to be new, actual produced material that relates to the Star Wars story and doesn't rely on goofy, non-movie characters to drive a story should be enough, shouldn't it? These forums continually rub me the wrong way... "I want this, I want that, more more, Lucas did this wrong, this toy isn't how I want it, why isn't there this figure or why can't they make this cartoon more user-friendly for ME ME ME."

Star Wars fandom is something everyone here chooses to be a part of, so to constantly bemoan all of the 'shortcomings' of all the tie-in products and entertainment that is being produced for you seems a little weak. Just be glad you aren't Battlestar Galactica fans!

m

You can say that again...

Just be glad you aren't Battlestar Galactica fans!

I am, oh yes, I am.

Anyway, I will most likely record these on my computer, edit them and transfer them to VCD. That way I can watch them all at once.

I am also considering transfering the OT to VCD with my computer, the copies I bought from allvcd.com are lousy.:(

Imperial Loyalist
02-26-2003, 12:22 PM
Well, its better than nothing.

Might encourage me to get a ("grey market") American satellite dish if not featured on Canadian cable cartoon channel.

The length is kind of disappointing. Perhaps with increased interest it will become full length next year.

JediTricks
02-26-2003, 06:06 PM
What will figures look like? Samarui Jack-style charicature figures, or figures that go with our regular line? Look at the "Droids" figures compared to the cartoon. 3PO looked so different from the movie character, but the figure was just a repainted version of the movie figure made in those cartoony basic colors -- a lot of the line was like that. I bet this will be the same.

Sorry PF, I wasn't buying the "minimalist and stylized" line about Samurai Jack and I'm not buying it here. I think this style works with Dexter's Lab because the show is supposed to evoke that simplistic '60s style of cheap, mass-produced cartoons - it's simple and cheaper to produce because it requires lower frame animations and only the most basic coloring needs - this stuff often feels lifeless. With Dexter's Lab it's used as a gimmick; but Samurai Jack doesn't have its own style, instead using the exact same DL animation and it seems less like a gimmick and more like a crutch to me. I mean, Genndy has worked on episodes for 2 Stupid Dogs, Powerpuff Girls & Dexter's Lab for at least 8 years now, is there no room for evolution or adaptation when involved in a different kind of show? I'm not trying to say you shouldn't enjoy Samurai Jack, I'm just letting you know why I don't and what I can't get past - that show doesn't work for me pretty much because of the art.

aspherical
02-26-2003, 06:14 PM
When I hear people bash on the Samurai Jack style, it reminds me of being at an art museum amongst all sorts of masterworks and hearing some lame-o geeker guy say "Hey man.. my kid brother could draw better than that." Pure crap from people that have no desire to appreciate art in all of its forms or be even slightly open minded.

Samurai Jack is one of the most refreshing things to happen to animation and TV in general in quite a while. Genndy Tartakovsky will do an excellent job with it because a) he's incredibly talented and b) he's a huge Star Wars fan and really wants to make it right and c) his cinematic style and vision is right in line with Lucas' in my own humble opinion.

As a side note, I have endured all of the prequel bashing and the endless complaining about Hasbro about what fans do and don't "deserve". I have watched various boards from time to time and have fumed over the idiocy I see each time. Until now, I have not actually posted anything before mostly because I don't want to be part of the problem with fandom these days.

I think I have reached my limit with the fanboys with this one, though. Honestly, nothing will ever make some of you guys happy. If Star Wars sucks so much right now for you, then leave. Don't let the door hit you on your way out. Life is far too short and important to waste on things that you are unhappy with. Just watch the movies you like and buy the figures you like and shut the f*** up for pity's sake.

You can bash me all you want, but you know everything I say is true.

jjreason
02-26-2003, 07:01 PM
Im actually pretty excited. Whether or not we're able to get them up here in Canada will play a large role in how much gusto I put in to catch them all at air. Good thing they're shorts - they'll be quick and easy to download and watch at my leisure on the PC.

Im hoping that in the future, and expanded version will be available on DVD, including the "snippets" worked into an extended version (hopefully an hour long???). That would be optimal.

Another important thing will be the story content. If key characters (read: anyone in plastic so far) start dying, you can imagine the interest going up a notch. The idea is probably to "further" the story being told by the comics and the video games with these shorts, much like the novel expanded on the video game and comic books during "Shadows of the Empire". The toys for "Shadows" fit right in with POTF2 for the most part, and from what we've seen (Rambo Yoda) they'll use that style for the Clone Wars figures as well.

Sorry to ramble: good story, easy to find? Interest way up.
Hard to catch, boring to watch? Not worth chasing. Only time's gonna tell.

JediTricks
02-26-2003, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by aspherical
...You can bash me all you want, but you know everything I say is true. Actually, what I "know" is that you and plenty of other SW fans lately don't have a tolerance for the fact that Star Wars is a multi-faceted entertainment universe. Not everybody has to love the prequels or EU or the Ewoks cartoon or SOTE or the figures or Lego or the model kits or the CCG or the RPG or the video games or the Holiday Special to be a fan. I neither have to love nor respect these Clone Wars cartoon shorts to be a Star Wars fan, I don't even have to like the concept even a little to enjoy what I like about Star Wars; you can love it all you want and that won't change my POV about you being a SW fan or not.

And as for Samurai Jack, it may have a great story and cool fight scenes, but that doesn't change my opinion about the art... which anybody's kid brother could draw 1 frame of. Taking a picture of a soup can and using it as pop art doesn't mean someone else couldn't take a picture of a soup can as well.

Vortex
02-27-2003, 12:58 AM
I'd just rather hear his reasoning behind him saying the guy is talented.

Granted I've only seen 2 stupid dogs, and I don't know how much mr. cartoon was involved in them, and I've surfed the Sam. Jack web sites and the characters look one to two dimensional and it looks like the backgrounds do little to improve the story telling.

I miss cartoons like the old bugs bunny, or the old micky mouse cartoons that actually had shade and shadows to the characters, and the backgrounds helped to enhance the stories and characters.

I would also like to know how his cinematic style and vision matches lucas's...This boggels my mind. Lucas takes everything into consideration and it looks like this cartoon is character driven and action driven...what about the set up for the scene, how it generates mood. colored flashes or line drawing backgrounds do little to enhance the over all feel for the mood, setting, or character.

I've seen tattoo guys with a closer style to lucas.

I do agree that art comes in many forms, and my favorite is comic strips an cartoons (loved the anamanics) but some art is seriously lacking. Like I learned in the architectural biz, you can pump out complete and total crap, yet toss in some .50 words, invent a style or steal from others and you have a work of art and people will eat it up...when in fact its pure garbage. Its all how well you can b.s. and sell your work.

I always believe that greatness is found in the details, and this guys work seems to be lacking the details, then again how much can you expect from a 3 min short.

plasticfetish
02-27-2003, 02:36 AM
Hmmm ... in appreciation of debate and discussion about the coming Star Wars cartoon, Samurai Jack, cartoons in general and whatever else floats through here that lends to the conversation ...
(I'll say that in my opinion, the strength of the Star Wars fan base comes from it's ability to render both intelligent criticism as well as genuine praise and enthusiasm. I've remained interested in these forums because I regularly see both here.)
So ... moving right along ...

Originally posted by tjovonovich
I've surfed the Sam. Jack web sites and ...
I think in all honesty you'd need to sit and objectively watch a few episodes.

I miss cartoons like the old bugs bunny, or the old Mickey Mouse cartoons that actually had shade and shadows to the characters, and the backgrounds helped to enhance the stories and characters.
Agreed. I've sort of thought that in many cases Samurai Jack ... in its own way ... has a similar approach to background and atmosphere that many of the old Warner Bros. cartoons did. Look at the brilliant simplicity of most Chuck Jones stuff ... he mixes classic animation with (minimalist) modern art styles and textures constantly. The BGs on Jack are often times pretty "classic" in that regard. The approach to the character design on Samurai Jack (to me) is less '70s schlock and more '50s/'60s stylized ... not so much Scooby Doo as Tex Avery.

I would also like to know how his cinematic style and vision matches Lucas' ... it looks like this cartoon is character driven and action driven ... colored flashes or line drawing backgrounds do little to enhance the over all feel for the mood, setting, or character.
Well ... I'm hoping the fact that this animator HAS a very specific and somewhat original cinematic style is what's going to make these Star Wars cartoons interesting. Samurai Jack is very much action driven with dialog being very limited ... I tend to imagine that this will be a plus for a bunch of 3 minute Star Wars cartoons. More punchy visuals and less corny chatter are a good thing huh? As far as visual style goes, again ... obviously there is some sort of connection here between Lucas and Tartakovsky ... after all, one did choose the other for this project right?

Ultimately ... I think it's going to be very interesting to see how it all develops and just how it all turns out.

kool-aid killer
02-27-2003, 08:17 AM
I wouldnt mind watching this cartoon but i dont get cartoon network. The short cartoon thing kind of bothers me too just because i dont know if it (cartoon network) would have to be watched all day to see various episodes or if it would just be one a day. Either way i hope it turns out well and if they put them all on dvd i will check it out.

Vortex
02-27-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by plasticfetish

I think in all honesty you'd need to sit and objectively watch a few episodes.

Granted I should really do this, but the old homage of 1st impressions are important rings true in this case. Just looking at the stills, from my viewing of 2 stupid dogs on numberous occasions, and the brief encounters with the PPG's...I have already passed judgment on this style of cartoon, and it doesn't jazz me in any way shape of form. I should watch it, but I am already bias by the previous experiences with similar cartoons and genre.

Originally posted by plasticfetish

Agreed. I've sort of thought that in many cases Samurai Jack ... in its own way ... has a similar approach to background and atmosphere that many of the old Warner Bros. cartoons did. Look at the brilliant simplicity of most Chuck Jones stuff ... he mixes classic animation with (minimalist) modern art styles and textures constantly. The BGs on Jack are often times pretty "classic" in that regard. The approach to the character design on Samurai Jack (to me) is less '70s schlock and more '50s/'60s stylized ... not so much Scooby Doo as Tex Avery.

I don't know if you seen the Chuck Jones interview public TV did a while back on his life, and creation and they sat down with him to talk about his profession, and you're partially right about the minimalist approach, but it wasn't his idea, if I remember correctly. This aired about a year or longer ago...so some parts are sketchy...and I might have forgotten some details, but I remember the jist.

WB was making a haul off of Bugs and company and they wanted to increase the bottom line, like all good execs do. Well they started to impose this minimalist style on him. If I remember correctly, the studio wanted to drastically cut the ink down, the detailing on the characters and in the background down, and limit the full sized shots of characters down to just just torso and heads so they could re-use sills and the same applied to backgrounds...no color, simple, plain to fit other stories and increase production and cut down on cost. Chuck wasn't too happy, and at one point I remember him saying the studio would have been happy to just have talking heads with monochrome backgrounds. You could eat up 5 minuets of air time with a running dialog between 2 characters heads. Chuck didn't want that so he had sit down various times with the powers that be and try to find a happy medium. I think at a couple of points he even threatened to leave or quit.

I think the studios who produced cartoons just got into this bad habit of down and dirty cartoons, talking heads, and re-cycled sills, that it carried over and is getting new life today with various cartoons. Then again most cartoons these days are colored and drawn overseas...if you throw that into the equasions it really gums things up...

I could even throw in Bill Waterson's Calvin and Hobbes, and his on going feud with the publishers to cut down on the background colors, his use of water colors, and negative stylized frames...(more black than white) and artistic style of panels and their odd sizes. Bill just got tired of the constant push to sell t-shirts, dolls, etc, and have his hands slapped for artistic impression that he just opted to get outta the biz. He just got tired of the marketing and restraints put on his art form.

So is there really much if any artistic display left in this medium? Or has it turned out to be the minimalist style due to $$ and profit? Is Mr. Sam. Jack nothing more tha a guy who's good at drawing a style and his style fits a trend or current need for budget considerations? I don't know.

But then again we won't know much till the 1st airing.

scruffziller
02-27-2003, 03:35 PM
They better not be goofy.:frus:

groundhog7s
02-27-2003, 10:37 PM
I look forward to them, only Cartoon Network's scheduling isn't always the best.

I do have to wonder, since this is done by the creator of Powerpuf Girls, if the opening will reveal that Clone Troopers were accidently made when Taun We mixed Chemical X in with Jango's DNA.:eek:

And after Clone Wars is over, they should do Shadows of the Empire, too.

kool-aid killer
02-28-2003, 08:40 AM
I wouldnt mind the Clone Wars cartoon being drawn the same way as the new Ninja Turtles cartoon is.

jeffonthego
03-01-2003, 07:32 AM
Don't mean to insult anyone, but what's all this anxious discussion about broadcast schedules, setting up VCRs, buying a satellite, etc?

This is 2003 and anything remotely related to sci-fi - especially the Trek and SW franchises - will be on Kazaa, IRC and every other peer-2-peer system by the next day after broadcast!

Bad quality, you say? For in-theatre movies shot on a cam, maybe so, but not for anything that's on TV. Especially with satellites and digital cable, the quality is great. And with something like Star Wars, which has more than its share of obsessed die-hard fans, you can bet that you will be seem some of the highest quality rips/transfers around.

C'mon, I don't even have cable TV anymore. Watch all my latest shows when I wan't to, even within hours of their broadcasts. You name it - Star Trek, Stargate, CSI, Six Feet Under, Sopranos, Simpsons, Futurama, South Park . . . anything that's worth watching!

So while other people are agonising about how to catch this little shorts, I'll be sitting comfortably at my computer, downloading them as they appear and watching at my own convenience - probably in bulk as a series!

fishyfett
03-05-2003, 07:35 PM
Forget the animated shorts. How about a full CGI cartoon?? I, mean, come on, we're talking Star Wars here. Why not use the technology from the Clone Wars PC Game to make this cartoon?? Sure, it will take time and hard work, but once people get into it and start buying the merchandise, it'll pay itself off. Better yet, why not produce a direct to video or DVD 1 hour (or 2 hours) animated show? Man, I love to see the anthologies from Jabba's Palace, the Cantina and Bounty Hunters. Short stories, yes. Animated shorts, naaahhhh. I hate to see Star Wars lose its novelty. We've seen it hit all time low during the Droids and Ewoks cartoons and other TV specials. I feel that Star Wars would be more enjoyable in the movies and the books. But once it gets aired on TV, then it will just turn out into another drawn out, boring space opera. But for those of you would love to see the cartoon, enjoy it. I like to hear the reviews after people had seen it. Good luck!!!:cool:

plasticfetish
03-05-2003, 07:42 PM
They just did a "full CGI cartoon" ... it was called "Attack of the Clones" and I hear they're working on another one right now.

JediTricks
03-05-2003, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by fishyfett
Forget the animated shorts. How about a full CGI cartoon?? I, mean, come on, we're talking Star Wars here. Why not use the technology from the Clone Wars PC Game to make this cartoon?? Yeah, this would have been awesome. Transformers:Beast Wars, Max Steel and Starship Troopers:Roughnecks were awesome shows and some of the best non-comedy cartoons of all time. Reboot was so popular it got picked up for more eps way after it was canned.

PF, that was a good one! :D

fishyfett
03-06-2003, 12:36 AM
To PlasFet,

No kiddin'. I can't wait for the next one. But while we're waitin', for that, I wouldn't mind watching the cartoon even if its not CGI animated. Perhaps kinda like the animated Batman or Spider-man series. I still think they could do better than a 3-minute cartoon. As long as it worth watching, I'm for it. Perhaps this may be a good medium to showcase some of the background, yet fascinating characters. Hey, anything is possible these days.:cool:

plasticfetish
03-06-2003, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by fishyfett
Hey, anything is possible these days.:cool:

That's a good point. The fact that we're getting something different NOW insinuates that along down the road we're more than likely to get something else. Good or bad, it's nice to know that Star Wars has a future beyond the "films." Though I tend to believe that there's a future to those also ... but that's a thread of a different color.

TheDarthVader
03-07-2003, 06:58 PM
I don't care...it is the movies that I love. I have the cartoon network but will not watch these "short" SW cartoons.

CloneTrooperMace
03-13-2003, 08:35 PM
I would like them to broadcast stuid Wal-mart cart peolpe ram each other with shopping carts.

DieHeer
03-15-2003, 02:08 PM
short will be ok, Id rather see it become a half hour long show, also I to hope they all come out on DVD, any Star Wars is better than no Star Wars