PDA

View Full Version : Any Halo fans out there?

Greyfolk
02-24-2003, 12:52 PM
I've been reading the Bungie FAQ, I am soo excited about Halo 2.

Some quotes from FAQ:
..new vehicles, destructible environments, new weapons, low gravity levels, online play, Human vs. Covenant multiplayer battles, improved AI, and more.

So far there have a been a few new weapons revealed. The Battle Rifle is an evolved version of the original assault rifle and features increased accuracy, a scope, and a slower rate of fire. The SMG (Sub Machine Gun) is a rapid-fire gun that trades a high volume of bullets for decreased accuracy. Of course there are others, but we can't tell you about them yet.

New enemies: The Brute has been described as a cross between a gorilla and a rhino and will be a serious force to reckon with on the battlefield. The Prophets have been referred to as "giant space popes" and they provide the political, religious and spiritual leadership in the Covenant. As for the others... you'll just have to wait and see.

This time around, the worlds of Halo 2 will feature destructible objects to add to the realism and strategy. Windows, columns and doors will shatter into pieces when they take damage. Enemy soliders will be able to recognize these objects and strategically destroy them to make you an easier target. In addition, MC will be able to shoot out lights and hide in the shadows when stealth makes more sense than confrontation.

The enemies in Halo were no slouches but this time around expect your opponents to be more cunning and tactical in their attempts to anihilate you. Covenant forces will use the environment to their advantage and make your job that much more difficult. You'll see the Covies scurrying under ledges, leaping over obstacles, and climbing up structures. They'll fluidly move with animal-like grace while talking and coordinating amongst their squads. They'll even use flashlights to hunt down MC in the darkness. It will take all of your wits and skills to overcome your adversaries this time around.

The Human forces will also be smarter this time around. They'll work better as a team and flip over objects to create cover. The Marines will also know how to call in support from a Warthog or point out an enemy sniper for an ally to take down.

Besides sporting an improved graphical look, MC will get his hands on a new suit of armor, some "tools", and a few new moves. Check out the 'Characters' section of the Halo 2 gallery for a glimpse of the Chief's new look. When things get hectic, the Chief can lower his gun and sprint at almost twice his normal speed. Before rushing into battle, MC can peek around corners and scope out the situation. When the action gets up close and personal, the Chief can string together melee attacks into devastating combos. The Chief is sure to have a few other surprises up his sleeve so stay tuned for future updates.

Besides a pumped up bump-mapping system, Halo 2 will really shine due to the inclusion of a new advanced real-time lighting engine. Dramatic lighting and shadows will behave realistically and interact with characters and environments. We've also got a new subtle technique called "self shadowing" where every model in the game will cast shadows on itself as well as its surroundings. Most of our new graphical effects are still in heavy development so we can't say too much about them yet. We can say that our goal is make sure that Halo 2 looks better than Halo in every way!

____

Thats most of it, but there is more. I am so excited about this..!!
http://www.bungie.net/perlbin/blam.pl?file=/site/0/databases/view_database.html&dbid=16

-Greyfolk

QLD
02-24-2003, 07:20 PM
Halo is awesome. However, this would be more suitable to the video game forum.

Greyfolk
02-24-2003, 07:53 PM
Yeah my bad, I accidently posted here before I realized that there was a 'video game' forum. OTOH this is a Misc. Forum Gen. discuss. So how can any topic be Off-Topic?

mrmiller
02-25-2003, 02:44 AM
yes.... Halo 2 will rule all. I can hardly wait. Oops :sur: Wet myself again thinking about it :eek:

=MATT=

12inch Lando
02-25-2003, 04:30 AM
Big Halo fan here. No talk of online multi-play? Am I the only one not too thrilled about a melee combo system? *blech*

Greyfolk
02-25-2003, 09:07 AM
Why aren't you excited about the combos? Okay, lemme rephrase.. I can see not being excited. But I think it will only add more to the game, in Halo, 1 punch isn't enough and the Covenant tear you apart up close, I think MC should be able to kick hole up close.

I can't wait until we can use the flying vehicles in Multiplay, that will be a great addition!

12inch Lando
02-25-2003, 09:22 PM
Generally in video games you HAVE to master combos in order to survive. It's not an added feature. So I can easily see a time when my friends and I are gathered for a 4 player session and one or two of us have mastered the combos and the others haven't and quite frankly have no chance of doing so. It's not easy to find a lot of friends that are hardcore game players at my age (32). So half the guys don't even own an XBOX let alone know what a combo system is but they like games in general, just not enough to waste time buying or mastering them. This will greatly unbalance the game and lessen the fun factor. I'll learn the combos and probably master them but I guarantee it will be out of necessity and not for fun.

I must say that the mere mention of a "Combo system" is almost enough to send me into a homicidal rage. I'm sick of them. I worked in and managed a video game store for many years and I guess the weekly ritual of buying/playing/mastering this weeks hot fighting game so I can A: answer customer questions, B: compete with fellow employees and said customers, and C: for the fun of it, at first anyway kind of took the "fun" out of combo systems. There are only so many fighting games you can take without driving you mad. The list was endless and on the older systems there were greater differences between systems so you might have to master the same game on multiple systems. Jeez... These are some of the fighting games I played, owned and sold during that time.
Street Fighter II
Street Fighter II Turbo
Street Fighter II: Championship Edition
Super Street Fighter II
Street Fighter II Alpha
Street Fighter II Alpha 2
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Street Fighter Alpha III 3rd Strike
Street Fighter Zero
Art of Fighting
Art of Fighting 2
Ballz
Brutal
Clayfighter
Clayfighter 2: Judgement Clay
Clayfighter 2: Tournament Edition
Fatal Fury
Fatal Fury 2
Killer Instinct
Killer Instinct Gold
Mortal Kombat
Mortal Kombat II
Mortal Kombat 3
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
Pit Fighter
Primal Rage
Rise of the Robots
Samurai Showdown
Shaq Fu
Weaponlord
World Heroes
World Heroes 2
World Heroes 2 Jet
Best of the Best
Eternal Champions
Eternal Champions CD
Street Smart
Virtua Fighter
Virtua Fighter 2
King of Fighters (there were a ton of those if you include Neo Geo)ClayFighter 63 and a 1/3
Clay Fighters Sculptors Cut
War Gods
Mace: The Dark Age
Capcom vs. SNK
Marvel vs. Capcom
Marvel vs. Capcom
Dead or Alive
Fighting Vipers
Guilty Gear
Soul Calibur
Star Gladiator
Battle Arena Toshinden
Battle Arena Toshinden 2
Shadow
The Way of the Warrior
Kasumi Ninja
Tobal No. 1
Bushido Blade
Dark Stalkers
Ehrgeiz
Marvel Super Heroes
Soul Blade
Soul Edge
X-Men vs. Street Fighter
Tekken
Tekken 2… that’s the game when I knew it was over for me. I just couldn’t really play these games anymore and “enjoy it” I certainly couldn’t spend the time learning new fighting systems without pulling out my hair. For a time after the Tekken craze I could sit down with something familiar far a bit (any version of Street Fighter) or something really different or new (Dead or Alive) but the bloom was off the rose. I was finished.
Fighting games are behind me now and I don’t miss them. What I do miss are the sports games. The very same thing happened to me with those as well. The thrill of the latest Madden or NBA Live is gone as well but the difference is I still love sports so I kind of miss getting down and dirty with the latest sports game. Oh well, maybe this gives a little perspective on why I’m not thrilled to death with the thought of a “Combo system” in Halo 2. The crazy thing is, as I look back over these games, I know I've left almost half of them off the list. Insane.

QLD
02-25-2003, 09:30 PM
I don't remember you owning Shaq-Fu :eek:

But I sure could sell them ;)

Ballz.....heh heheh...."excuse me, do you guys have Ballz?" BWHAHAHAHAHAHA........oh, those were the days.

12inch Lando
02-25-2003, 09:34 PM
We ALL played Shaq Fu. It was crappy with flair. Craptastic even.

QLD
02-25-2003, 09:41 PM
Yeah, but it had Shaq in it.

Do your kids like Shaq? Do they like Kung-Fu?

Well, then they'll love SHAQ-FU!

12inch Lando
02-25-2003, 09:53 PM
Didn't that game come with a Shaq rap CD? :crazed:

QLD
02-25-2003, 09:54 PM
I think it did. For only the low price of $19.99.

I can't believe that place went out of business. :crazed:

Hellboy
02-26-2003, 07:47 PM
Halo quite simply "ROCKS"

I play almost every weekend with two of my friends. I have a 50 and 30 inch T.V. back to back and my friend brings over his X-BOX so we can link them together. I usually play on the smaller T.V. against my 2 friends who play as a team on the big set. I win the majority of the time but they definatly have the upper hand when playing in the smaller arenas. The only problem I have with the game is the fact that you can't link 2 systems together for co-op story mode play.

I can't wait for Halo 2 and that will probably be all the excuse I need to switch to broadband and get X-Box Live pumping into my home. :cool:

Greyfolk
02-27-2003, 03:24 PM
Halo is coming out in August now instead of October. Is this old news?