PDA

View Full Version : [Poll] What's the best game of all-time?

Greyfolk
02-24-2003, 12:49 PM
What is the best video game of all time based on gameplay, overall ingenuity, graphics, etc?

I really like Herzog Zwei for Genesis..
Currently -- Halo

What is the best board game (card game)?

I vote chess, then Risk -- 2210 is an awesome variation by the way.

Lord Malakite
02-24-2003, 01:15 PM
Thats a hard question to answer. So much so that I don't think I can limit it to just one game. I'd have say it was either one of the games Shigeru Miyamoto (creator of the Super Mario Bros., Legend of Zelda, Donkey Kong, and Star Fox franchises, among other games, and the N64, GCN, and GBA systems) or the late Gumpei Yokoi (creator of Metroid franchise, among other games, and the G & W, Game Boy, SNES, and Virtual Boy systems) created though.

Greyfolk
02-24-2003, 01:19 PM
Yeah, now that you mention it I think 007 revolutionized console first person shooter multi-player. Definatly one of the best because of that fact.. And Super Mario Bros... well that is a given.

I need to buy a Genesis

Lord Malakite
02-24-2003, 01:33 PM
Yeah, Goldeye 007 revolutionized first person shooters by adding actual objectives to the game. Rare was responsible for that game. They were also responsible for Conker's Bad Fur Day (the adult oriented equal to a Mario game) and Perfect Dark.

Greyfolk
02-24-2003, 01:36 PM
Perfect Dark was good, but too late I'm afraid. I enjoyed it but PS2 was close behind, too close for PD to make an impact IMHO.

Lord Malakite
02-24-2003, 01:51 PM
Well I didn't say Perfect Dark revolutionized the gaming industry, but it was indeed a good game. It did improve on the Goldeneye 007 formula. Perfect Dark Zero for the X-Box should turn out to be quite interesting.

Greyfolk
02-24-2003, 01:54 PM
I never heard of it. Whats up with all the 'zero' games anyhow?I'll look it up.

I didn't find anything about co-op. That was the coolest part about PD, it was one of the first, if not THE first to include co-op missions. I hope they do this.

Sorry, I didn't mean to post 3x's in a row but...
Rare has been bought out bt Microsoft.. when did this happen and the screen shots I've seen are horrible. The graphics arn't very clean--that I can see.. how early in production is this game?
Has it been confirmed?

Lord Malakite
02-24-2003, 02:33 PM
I went ahead and merged your three posts into one.

I haven't seen much about the game since it was first announced for the GameCube just prior to the system's release, other than the latest look for Joanna of course. So I couldn't tell you if co-op will be in the game or not, but it has been in the works for some time now.

It is called Perfect Dark Zero because it is supposed to be a prequel to the original game.

Rare was sold by Nintendo to Microsoft late last year (just after the release of Star Fox Adventures). Nintendo didn't find Rare profitable anymore, so Microsoft paid Nintendo quite a hefty sum for the second party.

James Boba Fettfield
02-24-2003, 02:52 PM
Break it up, break it up!

The game that I enjoyed the most was Ocarina Of Time! I don't care if it changed anything or whatever, that game was fun.

QLD
02-24-2003, 06:24 PM
My favorite of all time, might just be Final Fantasy II (IV in Japan) on SNES. I have beaten that game sooooo many times, and find that to be the best video game story/ending of all time to this day.

Rogue II
02-24-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by James Boba Fettfield
Break it up, break it up!

The game that I enjoyed the most was Ocarina Of Time! I don't care if it changed anything or whatever, that game was fun.

Is that for N64 or Gamecube? I haven't had either system very long so I'm way behind on Nintendo games.

I don't think I could choose a single video game being the "best of all time." I would have to go by genre.

Greyfolk
02-24-2003, 07:22 PM
Choose a couple then Rogue. Choose a system.. Like XBox kixks PS2's @$$. That would be enough said.

Lord Malakite
02-24-2003, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Rogue II
Is that for N64 or Gamecube? I haven't had either system very long so I'm way behind on Nintendo games.

I don't think I could choose a single video game being the "best of all time." I would have to go by genre.

Its for both actually.

Rogue II
02-24-2003, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Lord_Malakite
Its for both actually.

Is either one better than the other?

Ok, here's a short list of the top of my head:

Racing: Gran Turismo 3 (PS2)

Wrestling: WWF No Mercy (N64) --Thanks QLD for reccomending that

Basketball: NBA Live '95 (Genesis)

Football: Madden 2003

Baseball: Baseball 3000 (?) (Nintendo) --cheesy, but fun. I'm betting one of this years MLB games will take it's place.

Hockey: NHL 2002 (until I get NHL 2k3) (PS2)

Favorite Star Wars Game: Tie: Rogue Squadron and Galactic Battlegrounds

Simulation: Transport Tycoon (PC)

First Person Shooter: Half-Life (PC)/Medal of Honor(PS)/Perfect Dark (N64) --I admit, I haven't played every 1st person shooter on the market, so if there is something better, I won't argue with you

Most addictive game: Animal Crossing (GameCube)

Classic Arcade game: Midway Greatest Hits 2 (PC) Joust/Tapper/Spy Hunter/Blaster/Moon Patrol

Dungeons and Dragons game: Diablo 2

I guess if I had to nominate my current "all around favorite" it would be Grand Theft Auto 3. (I haven't played Vice City...yet)

--I reserve the right to change my mind because I'm doing this off the top of my head and may have forgot something:crazed:

James Boba Fettfield
02-24-2003, 08:05 PM
The GC makes the game look better due to the higher resolution, but it's really just a straight port.

Lord Malakite
02-24-2003, 08:25 PM
Yeah, like JBF said. Plus, if you get it for the GCN you also get Ocarina of Time Master Quest. Master Quest is essentially the same game, but the dungeons are more difficult (a.k.a. a second quest like the original NES Zelda game had). It also counts as a preorder for Wind Waker (so Ocarina of Time is free). The N64 version has better control handling though (since it was designed specifically for the N64 controller originally).

mrmiller
02-25-2003, 01:42 AM
Combat Invisible Tank Pong or Pitfall on 2600.

OK- those are great, but seriously it has to be Doom. Doom completly changed Video Games, and really invented a new genre of the first Person shooter. Yea, yea Wolf 3D existed, but it wasn't all that big unitl Doom. Doom changed the way Shareware, Demos, and Online Play would be in the future. Not to mention adult orented action/arcade games. That my friends gets the top vote.

Next I'd go with Tempest and Pac Man (yea I know, but I'm old school) Street Fighter 2 , Super mario Brothers, Resident Evil, and the original Zelda. All for what they did for their type of games.

=MATT=

Rogue II
02-25-2003, 08:43 AM
I admit Doom was good and did a lot for the genre, but I liked Duke Nukem better.

dirtybones
02-25-2003, 09:00 AM
PS2 - Madden 2003, The Getaway and Bounty Hunter.
Reasons:
Madden 2003: because I'm a football nut ( go Vikes, die Rams!!)
The Getaway: well play it and you will see.
Bounty Hunter: It tells the back story between Count & Fett

There are alot of really great games out, these three are my picks for the best.

QLD
02-25-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Rogue II

Wrestling: WWF No Mercy (N64) --Thanks QLD for reccomending that

Glad you like it, that is still definately the best wrestling game available today.

I'll make a short list of games:

Final Fantasy 2 (IV) - SNES
Final Fantasy VII - PS1
Tetris - NES/Arcade
WWF No Mercy - N64
Pro Wrestling - NES
Pac Man - Arcade
Street Fighter II - SNES/Arcade
Halo - X-Box
Metal Gear Solid - PS1
Final Fantasy Tactics - PS1
NBA Jam - SNES/Arcade
Star Control 2 - Genesis
Super Mario Brothers - NES/Arcade
Sonic the Hedgehog - Genesis
Mike Tyson's Punchout - NES
Super Wing Commander - 3DO
Madden Football series (I count them all as one game)
Tecmo Bowl
World Series Baseball - Saturn
Streets of Rage 1&2 - Genesis

You know what, I am going to stop now, as this list is no longer short....lol

Anakin2121
02-25-2003, 01:39 PM
Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2

I don't think I ever had so much fun with a game.

Half-Life is pretty good too: it had refreshing gameplay and delicious graphics and animation -- but what people don't credit it for is that it was one of the first games where you could reload your weapons (swapping clips) and characters' mouths moved when they spoke.
It had far too much crate-smashing and ventshaft crawling, though. :)

scruffziller
02-26-2003, 09:44 AM
I have to say the game that I had probably the most fun with was an obscure Original Nintendo game called LEGACY OF THE WIZARD!!!!!

But a couple of my altime favs where...

Wizards And Warriors
ALL ZELDA GAMES
original Double Dragon
Original Contra
Metal Gear
Snakes Revenge
Mega Man 2
Super Mario 3

This is a very difficult question and really, I would say, does not have an answer.

Hellboy
02-26-2003, 06:54 PM
Well It's hard to pick just one but my current favorite would have to be METROID PRIME.
This game is so unique and proves a First Person Shooter can be so much more than just a mindless slaughter of endless enemies.
Not that I don't appreciate that in a video game but variety is the spice of life. :)

12inch Lando
02-27-2003, 02:14 AM
I'm really sorry but I just can't narrow it down to just one game. I'll just try to name one or two favorites from the various systems I've owned.

Arcade: Tie Galaga and Robotron 2084
Atari 2600: Raiders of the Lost Ark/ Combat/ Astroids
Colecovision: WarGames
Nintendo: Shadogate/ Metal Gear
Game Boy: Tetris
Genesis: Star Control/ Sonic/ PGA Tour Golf III/Streets of Rage/Golden Axe
Super Nintendo: Final Fantasy II/ Shadow Run/ Chrono Trigger/ Contra III/ Castlevania IV/ Zelda
Turbo Express: Golf/ Galaga 90
Sega CD: Snatcher/ Lunar
32x: LOL!!!!!
Atari Jaguar: Tempest 2000
3D0: Super Wing Commander/ Monster Manor
Sega Saturn: Virtua Fighter 2
PlayStation: Grandia/Parisite Eve/Wild Arms/Sukoden/Final Fantasy VII
Nintendo 64: Tie Goldeneye and WWF No Mercy
Dreamcast: Resident Evil: Code Veronica/ Shinmune
PS2: Grand Theft Auto:Vice City
XBOX: Halo
Gamecube: Mario Sunshine/ Rogue Squadron

kool-aid killer
02-27-2003, 06:44 AM
My favorite game of all time is super dodgeball on the original nintendo. Nothing was better than taking the home team and beating on other countries with dodgeballs. I really wish nintendo would release a version for gamecube that played like the original game.

Lord Malakite
02-27-2003, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by kool-aid killer
I really wish nintendo would release a version for gamecube that played like the original game.
The only problem with that is Nintendo didn't make Super Dodge Ball, Technos did. Technos Japan and their US publishing arm American Technos collapsed in bankrupcy between 1997 and 1999, but the defunct company's president Kunio Taki has recently taken up new projects for, among other things, Nintendo's Game Boy Advance. This could explain how Atlus Software came up with Super Dodge Ball Advance for the Game Boy Advance. Its no Super Dodge Ball for the NES, but its worth checking out.

sith_killer_99
02-27-2003, 09:52 AM
Best video game of all time...

Doom III?

;)

scruffziller
02-27-2003, 12:26 PM
DO......................YOU.....................HA VE.........................!!!!!!!????:crazed: :( :confused: :sur: :greedy:

Greyfolk
02-27-2003, 12:47 PM
What about NEO GEO? Anybody have that system?

sith_killer_99
02-27-2003, 12:55 PM
DO......................YOU.....................HA VE.........................!!!!!!!????

Nah, I just wanted to see if I could get a rise out of anyone.

I don't even have the watered down demo. But I have seen some great pics and I just bought a new video card, I am SOOOOOooooooo ready for Doom III to come out!

scruffziller
02-27-2003, 02:17 PM
Have you seen the DOOM LEGACY VIDEO.

It is on here.http://www.fileplanet.com/files/80000/88436.shtml

Greyfolk
02-27-2003, 02:30 PM
I'm just now playing Diablo for the first time.. I can't wait for Fantasy Star VII!

kool-aid killer
02-28-2003, 06:37 AM
Thanks for all the info about the company that made super dodgeball and what happened to them, Lord Malakite. Another favorite game of mine was Double Dragon. It was sweet but they kind of tarnished its image when they did a game with the Battletoads.

Lord Malakite
02-28-2003, 09:35 AM
Technos also did the Double Dragon games. :p You'd probably also enjoy the game River City Ransom. The Battletoad games were created by Rare, as was the Battletoads and Double Dragon games for the NES and SNES. The reason there was a team up was because both game franchises were licenced by Tradewest at one time or another.

scruffziller
02-28-2003, 09:40 AM
YEA But Battle toads was one of the best games ever!!!!

Exhaust Port
02-28-2003, 11:09 AM
Mutant League Football!! Any game were you can win by killing off the other team is fun as heck. Nothing like having only a quarterback and 3 linemen left to get you through the 4th quarter. I just wish that it would be made with the kind of graphics we're seeing now a days.

blueswiz
02-28-2003, 11:51 AM
me and a bunch of my friends were on vacation a few years back and someone asked what was the best old school nintendo game ever. and after making a list with 200 some games and 4 hours of debating later:confused: ..... zelda won out.

QLD
02-28-2003, 12:53 PM
I rented mutant League football for a weekend, and played it to death with a few friends. After a few days, the novelty had worn off, and we went back to Tecmo Bowl.

I never could get into the Battletoads games. They were supposed to be great, but I never saw it.

JediTricks
02-28-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Greyfolk
What about NEO GEO? Anybody have that system? I do. Great system, super-charged cart-based beauty that avoids vector graphics altogether. I've heard SNK is out of business but there are some companies still making games for the Neo Geo which should tell you just how incredible this machine really is.

I just got GTA:Vice City and it's a ton of fun to play. I haven't even bothered going through missions yet because it's just too much fun running around causing mayhem. If I had just one game to play forever, it'd probably be this one because there's just so dang much free-play to be had. Dunno if it's "the best of all time" though.

QLD
02-28-2003, 04:16 PM
That's the problem with GTA. I have GTA3, and Vice City, and I have only done a half of the missions total, because I get so distracted going on rampages in malls, alleys, etc., that I lose focus. :D

I have played the Neo Geo before, but I don't own one. Well, not anymore. A group of people I knew a long time ago, all sold the same Neo Geo to each other, in about 3 months, all of us owned it at some point. I got kinda burned out on fighting games, and lost interest in the Neo Geo. But it's not a bad little system.

Right now I have been playing Panzer Dragoon Orta on X-Box. It's a wonderful game. Not best of all-time material, but very nice.

kadamontaga
02-28-2003, 04:29 PM
I'd have to go with either GTA or Civilization III.

Rogue II
02-28-2003, 06:22 PM
Holy cheese....How did I forget to mention Tecmo Bowl?!?!

I didn't play it too much on Nintendo, but we had a league on Genesis(so I guess that makes it Tecmo Super Bowl or whatever)...Come to think of it, the original NBA Jam was fun also.

Tonysmo
03-02-2003, 08:19 AM
Ive only seen one mention of Battlegrounds.. wow..

I've currently been hooked on that, along with AOEII and all the expansions..

Others I get hooked on from time to time:

Rollercoaster tycoon.. ( yeah, I said it.. )
Syphon Filter
Metal of Honor
Ghost Recon
Bounty Hunter
GTA ( love playing my own MP3s while cruising around )

thats about the size of it..

Exhaust Port
03-02-2003, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by kadamontaga
I'd have to go with either GTA or Civilization III.

Civ III is like video game crack. Once you start you go into this haze and time stops existing.

"I'll call it quits once I get Iron Working.....Calvary....Artillery..etc."

Darth Evil
03-04-2003, 02:19 PM
Metal Gear Solid ranks very high on my list. The sequel edges it out in graphics and gameplay, but MGS had a far better storyline. Of course, there's also Ocarina of Time, Final Fantasy 7 and a few others. I just can't think of them at the moment.

bobafett07728
03-04-2003, 02:59 PM
SUPER TECMO BOWL

This game, regardless of what system (NES, SNES, Genesis, PS One), is a friggin classic!! My brothers and I still play leagues on multiple systems. We keep out records, and even have a nice little "Tecmo Champ" Trophy for that seasons winner. IT may be cheesy, and a little less realistic than Madden, etc., but for my family it has definitely stood the test of time.

As far as the Atari 2600, which I play a lot of, I would have to give the nod to either Pitfall!, Decathlon, or Frostbite!. . . all three are great games.

If anyone hadn't noticed. . . I favor the classic games. . . leave the newer stuff to my brothers.

bigbarada
03-18-2003, 12:13 AM
My all-time favorite game would have to be Zelda: A Link to the Past for SNES. Followed closely by the first Harvest Moon and Earthbound, both games for the SNES.

Deoxyribonucleic
03-18-2003, 12:53 PM
my fav game is Dark Forces II Jedi Knight because it was the first ever game where WE, the players, could actually use a lightsaber and force powers! WOOHOO!

I also like Tempest...always will be a fav for me!

James Boba Fettfield
03-18-2003, 01:00 PM
You could use a lightsaber in the Super Star Wars games on SNES.

Those were some crazy *** games.

Lobito
04-17-2003, 02:15 PM
I loved all the Phantasy Star games...since they were on the Sega Master System, then Genesis, the Dream Cast and now in the GC.

Y'S was also a great game.

Rogue squadron is a superb game also...as the Zelda games.

Anyway its very hard to choose just one game, but if thats the case, my pick will always be Phantasy Star (The original)