PDA

View Full Version : Wal Marts missing figures?

Fulit
02-24-2003, 03:24 PM
I'm not sure this is the right section, but I have noticed that my local WM's have like 2 figures on the shelves and haven't been restocking anything. There still seems to be plenty of Deluxe tho. Is this happening anywherre else?

Dr Zoltar
02-24-2003, 03:49 PM
Yep. In the Seattle/Tacoma area 3 of the Wal*Marts got in what seemed like 1 case of the new stuff and it was gone within a week. One of the Wal*Marts has had like 2 Rebel Endor Soldiers and a few dozen of that deluxe beast for what seems like 3 months.

TRU and Target hasn't been much better. Pegwarmer heaven if you ask me. I'm beginning to think the shipments are not getting to the stores at all.

RooJay
02-24-2003, 05:49 PM
I regularly frequent three different WalMarts in my area (and occasionally visit one other) and this is the case at each location!

Kidhuman
02-24-2003, 06:11 PM
I have the same issues. They never restock the shelves. I have another Wal-Mart about 30 minutes away that I go to. Also I will be starting a job near a TRU finally and hopefully I can get some stuff there.

jblodgett
02-24-2003, 07:05 PM
My experience with Wal-Mart has always been that they will only restock the shelves when there is room for new product. If they have 20 cases of figures in the back of the store, but have the 16 pegs already crammed full of figures, they are not going to take down the things already on the store shelves and replace them with the new figures. So unless your store suddenly has a massive buy-up of all the old figures (my wal-mart is chock full of Peasant Disguise Anakin and Kamino Escape Jango Fett) you probably won't see too many of the newer figures.

jjreason
02-24-2003, 07:47 PM
And I don't think they order new stuff until the store computer (linked to the check out ones) determines they need to. Walmart is usually the best retailer for staying current because they don't order stuff to stock in the back, most of the stuff coming in gets on the pegs right away. Dar Argol can explain this better than me as he's an employee, but that's what I understand the philosophy of the store to be - storage space is wasted space.

The only explanation for no new stuff is slow moving old stuff.

Jerjerrod
02-24-2003, 10:38 PM
So does that mean we all have to "work together to make the world a better place?" :D Mmmm, lemme see... Orn Free Ta... or... Han Endor Raid... maybe Geonosian Warrior...

Let's all pick up one each and see if it makes a difference. If that doesn't help... RETURN the darn pegwarmer. :D

Banthaholic
02-25-2003, 12:22 AM
I some times think some one bought all their local Wal-mart's peg-warmers and returned them all to my local store.

They honestly have over 70 figures, most of which are the same few characters. It really blows my mind, when I'm making 'the run' it's almost a joke when I stop in the store. BTW the latest wave they received was Palpatine, Djas, etc...

Although you would have to wonder what kinda recaction I would get if I bought the whole lot of toys, and then retuned them all to a store 60 miles away (NOTE I don't condone this sort of behavior, nor would try)
Seriously though, they are either in need of a clearance sale, or a Hasbor call-back, or the storre isn't going to see anything till E3

bobafrett
02-25-2003, 12:49 AM
From what I have heard, Hasbro bought back all the Peg Warmers from Wal-Mart. In fact I went into the store I used to work at, and they were pulling all the old figures off, and shipping them back. Wal-Mart has a way of getting what they want. Several dealers that I have met told me that Wal-Mart tried to low ball on the prices that they were willing to buy for the store. I imagine that since Wal-Mart had a lot of figures left, they will not be willing to go with heavily stocking the shelves. If you remember, when the Star Wars toys first came in, Wal-Mart had one of the biggest sections dedicated to Star Wars toys. No other store that I had been to, had given as much retail space to one line of product. I've only found a few of the newer figures at Target, but it was maybe once to two cases at most.

RooJay
02-25-2003, 02:50 AM
I almost wish it were a case of the pegs being full of older figures! Of the three (and a half) stores that I frequent, none of them have had more than a small handful of (older) figures on their pegs since about mid-december. I am not even exaggerating. There are a few more of the older deluxe figures on the pegs, and each of these stores seems to have plenty (though by no means an abundance) of the new 12 inchers, and Action Fleet, as well as the new Lightsabers.

LTBasker
02-25-2003, 03:11 AM
I found ONE Wal-Mart that is actually getting new stuff in (found a Droideka), but sadly it's very far away. I dunno what the deal is with the other Wal-Marts, they get in other stuff and 12" figures just fine, but deluxe and basic figures are like taboo for'em. Heck one Wal-Mart not far from here still has background Boba Fetts, Tusken Mothers, and Typho's. :sur:

Though it's not just Wal-Mart, only 'new' figure I've found at other stores is the shaven Endor Soldier, other than that KB, K-Mart, Target and TRU are all deadzones as well.

mtriv73
02-25-2003, 07:54 AM
The wal-mart near me seems to put out a new case of figures every friday night or saturday morning. I picked up the Padme wave a few weeks ago and have seen it again once. They finally got the droideka wave last weekend (that was the first time I'd seen the "new" Yoda. They're almost always gone by sunday leaving the standard peg-warmers, but at least they're coming in.

kool-aid killer
02-25-2003, 08:12 AM
My walmart near me only has a ton of the cantina sets, a few of the force flipping things, a nexu, and one padme pilot. Its been like this for at least a month. I check back every few days just hoping to see anything new. The last star wars toy i bought was the TIE bomber. Ive had the "new" yoda, two droidekas, and two clonetroopers on speeders for two months now but i havent been able to find that stinking ephant man.

Old Fossil
02-25-2003, 09:05 AM
My WM has received NO new basic figures since before Christmas, when they got a case of the Padme Pilot wave. They DID get the lightsabers and Action Fleet vehicles, but that's it. The pegs are packed with Outland Anakin and KE Jango and young Boba.

It's getting ridiculous!

mm74md
02-25-2003, 11:11 AM
I'm tempted to go to my local Wal-Mart & put all the old Saga figures on Layaway so they get some new stuff in. Then I'll cancel the Layaway on the day the final payment is due

:evil:

nova blue
02-25-2003, 11:47 AM
same here I have seen at least 30 Saga Jedi Starfighters at a walmart. And there just sitting there, even on sale. Ridiculous

Prince Xizor
02-25-2003, 04:02 PM
My Walmart is the only place that seems to be getting the new figures. I have found two or three Ephant Mons there. As well as the Yoda/Drestroyer Droid wave, the Obi-Wan/Darth Tyrannus wave, and the newest Padme/Aayla wave. I have yet to find any of these figures at my local Target and TRU.

Fulit
02-25-2003, 04:04 PM
How long ago did the Watto/Lott Dod wave come out? It just now hit one Wal Mart about 25 miles from LR. Maybe by September I'll see Ephant Mon!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-25-2003, 05:35 PM
My Wal-Mart has tons of Coruscant Attack Padmés, Palpatines, and a few of Dex, Geo Warrior, and Slave I Pilot Jango. In the clearance aisle are tons of Nexu and Cantina Packs. A few weeks ago, they had two of each of Acklay Obi-Wan and Geonosian Tyranus. I bought one of each, next time they were gone.
A few months ago, they had some great figures after they sent back the pegwarmers. Unfortunately, Padmé became one and so did Palpatine. I need some more Geonosian Warriors, so maybe I'll get some . . .

But is it REALLY that hard to put them on sale for cheap and get in new ones?

jjreason
02-25-2003, 05:43 PM
Again, I speculate, but if they have to put figures on clearance it likely will mean fewer orders (or smaller orders, or fewer smaller orders) for that store in the future. When the drop the prices to clearance, it's not worth their while to have that stuff filling the floor space, which ain't good news for people wanting new stuff. I don't think the ordering people can tell the diff. between one wave and the next, all they know is that SW isn't moving.

The only way stores make the big bucks is to move stuff at the first price. WalMarts opening price is usually as low as anyones, so you know they're banking on selling more figures to make up the generous profits they want. The more we buy, the more they'll get. Period. I keep buying Geo Warriors and Royal Guards every time they come in, just in hopes of getting new assortments. Too bad I can't use the 15 extra Orn Free Ta's. I don't understand why they'd ship him 2 to a case so long after his release? Anyone?

Old Fossil
02-25-2003, 08:14 PM
Uh, jjreason, you must remember that this is HASBRO we're talking about here. Consequently, logic does not necessarily apply.:evil:

keithfite
02-25-2003, 08:52 PM
all the wal-marts I go too are terrible, but my local one has done good lately. I have found geonosian dooku, acklay obi-wan, teebo, and eeth koth. my friend found tusken w/removeable head. But they are just stocking good now because they cleared everything out and put most on clearance. I fear now that they have done good for a while that now its going to go back to waiting for them to restock again. I probabvlly wont see new ones now for a freakin huge while

Turbowars
02-25-2003, 09:04 PM
It's not only WM here in Southern CA, it's Target, KB, TRU and K-mart that has nothing, I haven't seen new product since before X-mas. Oh wait I did find the trash sets. It's either yearly inventory counts or the dock thing. All I know I have some money to spend and Hasbro isn't getting any of it.

Banthaholic
02-25-2003, 10:57 PM
I also unfort only need one Orn Free Ta, one Dexster, and one Palpatine. I'm eager to see how many stores dump the merchandise.
Honestly though, I doubt I would buy any of the above three during a $1 clearance sale. I love all three figures, they're excellent sculpts, but I have no need for more than one. Like many here I have a space problem the way it is.
Alhough $1 genosians might be a different story.
Although something needs to be done, store reports have to be showing that nothing is selling. This is either bad news for furture shipments, or possibly the stores might order more cautiously.
In many cases initially EP2 products sold like hotcakes, the original wave constantly kept leaving shelves at my Wal-mart, up till the wave that's sitting there now. I guess when your selling a product for $4.74 the profit margin isn't too great so to make up for it you have to sell greater number, and hence stock greater numbers. The downfall is supply caught up and surpassed demand.
It's too bad becasue new mechandise is selling great around these parts. Everytime KB, K-mart, and Target restock with new products they last only a day or so. The last figure I bought at Wal-mart was Qui Gon. I wish they'd just send the pegwarmers across the street to sam's club, restock cautiously (ie only a few racks), and let supply and demand work their way.

coy5
02-26-2003, 01:04 AM
My local Wal-mart(s) are rediculous... It seems as if the "Pack Rat" effect has taken place. In between isles there are various cases of store items. It is almost as if the inside of the store is "the back room." It has been so bad that you can't even cross the isle to get to the other side. They did get the rebel trooper and padme chase wave in the other day though. I am still having trouble finding those darned deluxe clone troopers though.

bobafrett
02-26-2003, 02:04 AM
I used to work overnight at Wal-Mart. I would get there at 10, just as the store closed. We would take the old pallets of freight to the floor, lay new pallets down, empty 1 or 2 trucks, take the new freight to the floor, fill in the shelves, and repalletize the remaining freight.

Now Wal-Mart has a crew come in and unload the trucks starting around 3 in the afternoon, and they drag the freight to the floor while the customers are shopping. They have another crew called ICS who start to put that freight up, and then overnight stockers who come in and put up the rest. I think it's a disgrace to the shopping customers to have all these ugly pallets out, but on the other hand, I have got into a store around 9 pm, about an hour before closing, and found a box on a rare occasion of unopened figures. But it has been a long time since that has happened.

Dar' Argol
02-26-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by jjreason
And I don't think they order new stuff until the store computer (linked to the check out ones) determines they need to. Walmart is usually the best retailer for staying current because they don't order stuff to stock in the back, most of the stuff coming in gets on the pegs right away. Dar Argol can explain this better than me as he's an employee, but that's what I understand the philosophy of the store to be - storage space is wasted space.

The only explanation for no new stuff is slow moving old stuff.

Actually is a little incorrect, but that's ok. And now I'm gonna quote myself here to explain a bit because I have typed this too many times.

Originally posted by Dar' Argol
Also, for WM, WE CANNOT ORDER THIS STUFF!!! We have 3 types of merchandise at WM. There is "WS" or "WHSE" which is "Warehouse" and that means we can order it and it will come in within 2-3 days. "AD" or "AS" which is "Assembly". we can order that too and it will come in within 2-4 weeks. And there is "GO" which is "General Order". We cannot order that merchandise. That is taken care of by Home Office. The item and quantities are all taken care by HO. SW is a GO item. We cannot say when we should order it, we cannot say how much, we cannot specifiy which assortment. We get what we get when we get it. And when we get it, its sproactic.

Now when the stuff goes through the register, all it does is takes that many out of our "on-hand count". The dept managers are the ones who do the ordering. BUT, only if it is a Warehouse or Assembly item. And as for not having any back stock, that's a bit incorrect too. We do have back stock, and lots of it at times. I remember we were STUFFED with about 30 cases of the 1st Cantina wave. It was something that we could not order, but we got in over 30 cases of it. Now we have about 3 cases left and all the pegs for it on the floor are full. We don't like to have back stock, but it does happen.

Originally posted by bobafrett
From what I have heard, Hasbro bought back all the Peg Warmers from Wal-Mart. In fact I went into the store I used to work at, and they were pulling all the old figures off, and shipping them back. Wal-Mart has a way of getting what they want.

Fo that info look here:
Wal-Mart to send back 18 Different AOTC figures (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15365)

Originally posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL
But is it REALLY that hard to put them on sale for cheap and get in new ones?

Actually, yes. These figs come in as an assortment. All under 1 number. and in order to clearance them out, the assortments need to be put on clearance. So if any other "newer" figs come in while the clearanced ones are still there, they will scan at that price and WM will loose some major money. I mean, they are only 14% above cost right now. They use to be around 32% above cost. So it creates many active item issue. Now if it was a line or item that was being discontinued, then putting them on clearance would be no problems at all.

Originally posted by Banthaholic
Although something needs to be done, store reports have to be showing that nothing is selling. This is either bad news for furture shipments, or possibly the stores might order more cautiously.
In many cases initially EP2 products sold like hotcakes, the original wave constantly kept leaving shelves at my Wal-mart, up till the wave that's sitting there now. I guess when your selling a product for $4.74 the profit margin isn't too great so to make up for it you have to sell greater number, and hence stock greater numbers. The downfall is supply caught up and surpassed demand.
It's too bad becasue new mechandise is selling great around these parts. Everytime KB, K-mart, and Target restock with new products they last only a day or so. The last figure I bought at Wal-mart was Qui Gon. I wish they'd just send the pegwarmers across the street to sam's club, restock cautiously (ie only a few racks), and let supply and demand work their way.

I personally think that WM is being cautious. After getting stuck with a lot of the waves, and then having Hasbro come in and take some figs back, they don't want to get caught holding a full back. Remember, once Hasbro ships the figs to the stores, its their merchandise. If the store has to mark them down to get rid of them, that store is losing money, not Hasbro. Hasbro already got paid. And also, WM does not stock like a grocery store, where they pull the old stuff to the front and put the newer stuff towards the back. Well . . . . unless they have a grocery section, he he he. If the shelved and pegs are full, they will not take down the old and put up the new. Most Dept managers of toys and "normal" toy associates do not know the difference between any of the waves being older or newer. They just see a full peg and decide that no more can go out.

My store has been EMPTY of SW figs for about 4 weeks. Completely empty, nothin on the shelve. Now recently, we have been getting 1 case here and there. I've seen all the new stuff, Padme', Dooku, Destroyer, Yoda, Obi, etc. But they have not stayed there long. Within a day, all that is left might be 1-2 Destroyers and the Jango Pilots. That's it! Everything else dissapears before the next day. WM is getting stuff in, but it may only be a case ata time and its coming very slowly. The real problem as I have always stated is Hasbro. Their distribution stinks and even getting the products out seem to be a problem. If they would solve those problems, then I think we would see more new stuff to buy.

jjreason
02-26-2003, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the clearing-up DA. My info comes only from hearsay and discussions with my brother (who's a WM fan, in a business sense, and studies Walton's books a little).

It's hard, but the only way they can clear this up is to buff up distribution practises. Case contents need a serious rethinking.

AdmiralPiett
02-27-2003, 01:10 AM
I've found the new Yoda and the Destroyer Droid, but nothing else. If I miss the rebel fleet trooper AGAIN, I'm just gonna snap!
Piett