PDA

View Full Version : Knights of the Old Republic

Greyfolk
02-25-2003, 04:41 PM
When will Knights of the Old Republic be released for XBox?
I'm sure this has been covered, but I was unable to find the thread.

Thanks.

Hellboy
02-26-2003, 06:58 PM
May 03 is the new scheduled release date. It was supposed to come out this month but was again delayed. It does suck that this title keeps getting pushed back but I'd rather see them take their time and get this one right.

Other than Halo and Splinter Cell this is the reason why I purchased my X-BOX so I can't wait. :D

Anakin2121
02-26-2003, 08:50 PM
I agree, I'd rather they take their time to make a polished masterpiece than rush out an unfinished, buggy product.

There's a poster on the wall in my math class, a quote by someone (not sure who, lol): "People will forget how quickly you did a thing but they will remember how well you did it."

I'm sure that holds true here as well. :)

Trip J
07-15-2003, 04:15 PM
Wow, I had to dig DEEP to find this one. Is nobody here excited about the release of KotOR coming out this week?

I originally was going to hold out for the PC version this fall, but after reading a number of reviews and seeing all of the screen shots and TV ads, now I think I am going to break down and buy an Xbox.

Let's see, 1st it was the PS2.

Then came Zelda and I had to get a Gamecube (which is really a great little system I might add).

Now, this...

Anyway, is there anyone else excited about this? Or is everyone too busy playing Galaxies?

CooLJoE
07-15-2003, 09:54 PM
I was, but I'm not sure anymore. It seems more like a roll playing game than anything else. Which would be fine had I been able to control the swing of the saber and such. I'm not sure if you can, but it doesn't seem like it.

derek
07-16-2003, 06:39 AM
I was, but I'm not sure anymore. It seems more like a roll playing game than anything else. Which would be fine had I been able to control the swing of the saber and such. I'm not sure if you can, but it doesn't seem like it.

i think the player has the choice of either controlling the action, or allowing the computer to make your moves like in a RPG........so it's both, an action game or an RPG.:)

Trip J
07-16-2003, 08:04 AM
IGN gave it a review here:

IGN Review of KotOR (http://xbox.ign.com/articles/428/428645p1.html)

And I think Derek is right, it seems to me that you have can play the game either way.

Either way is fine with me, I'm pretty sure I'll get it.

jpak001
07-16-2003, 12:42 PM
I think I might have to get this one this week.

Was gonna wait the eventual mark-down, but after the reviews & screenshots I might have changed my mind!

QLD
07-16-2003, 04:49 PM
I will get it, but probably later. I am a little too involved in Galaxies right now to play it.

CooLJoE
07-16-2003, 08:00 PM
I'm gonna pass. I read the part about how combat works and its turn-based. So yes, its the RPG method of doing things and you can't switch to any other way. Its like Final Fantasy's way of doing things except you can que multiple moves ahead of time.

Trip J
07-17-2003, 07:52 AM
I've decided I'm going to pick it up this week. The turn-based combat doesn't bother me too much, in fact, I'm a big fan of the FF series, and hopefully this will be even better.

Boba Rhett
07-17-2003, 08:33 PM
I picked it up earlier today and so far it ROCKS. I totally feel immersed in a true star wars universe. It's great. :)

jpak001
07-18-2003, 02:11 AM
I just got today and have been playing for the last few hours or so...

I think it's great so far!! This is my 1st role playing video game, so I didn't know what to expect and don't really know any games to compare it to. It's very easy to pick up and play, and get's you involved right away. Great graphics, and pretty good voice overs. Better than most video games I've played.

I'm gonna play my 1st game as a good guy & try to become a Jedi, and my second as a Dark Jedi.

What fun :) :)

Trip J
07-18-2003, 07:51 AM
I got it too, spent a couple of hours with it last night. The gameplay is pretty intuitive and easy to learn, the story line seems very promising, and the graphics are beautiful. The combat is a little different, but once you get used to it, is pretty cool too. It's not quite your typical turn-based system (like the Final Fantasy series), and you don't get to actually control each swing of your sword (or lightsaber) or shot from your blaster. Once you enter into combat, your character continues to perform whatever attack command you gave when the battle started. You can "stack" commands, so you can attack differently in future rounds, but that's about all there is to it.

Overall, I've been very pleased so far.

Boba Rhett
07-18-2003, 02:44 PM
The voice acting is fantabulous. Probably the best I've ever seen..err... heard? :D

Hellboy
07-18-2003, 04:20 PM
Got mine last night and messed with it for about an hour. I didn't get much playing time in though beacause I got pretty into the character creation part of it. I really had a tough time making up my mind the way I wanted to play and what character class I would be a part of the first time through. I decided on a soldier and named him Joryn Khan. I'll try to become a Jedi even though I originally had planned on following the path of the darkside first.

Overall the graphics look great and I like the fact that you can assemble a party to travel with you but the real-time not quite turned base combat system will take some getting used to. The voice acting is excellent and the sound effects and music are pure Star Wars.

Looks like I'm going to be busy this weekend. :D :D

jpak001, Trip J, and Boba Rhett what character class and name did you go with if you don't mind me asking? :)

Boba Rhett
07-18-2003, 04:54 PM
I'm an LucasArts junky, I always Use Boba Rhett in theier games :D I'm a Soldier as well.

derek
07-18-2003, 05:55 PM
what's the motivation behind the "turn" based system of combat in RPG's played on a video game? i could understand having a this system in a card game or something, but isn't the whole point of a video game to allow the player to controll the action?

if the game fights for you, why dosen't it do everything else as well?

jpak001
07-18-2003, 06:17 PM
Heh, lot's-o-fun! :D :D :D

I decided on making a scout (took me forever to divy up his skill points too). Name: Jonek See'pak (pretty lame, eh?). It's pretty cool, I've already gained some light side points.

I like how your characters facial expression changes based on the dialogue you chose, neat-o! Like, if you chose to say something nice, he has a pleasant look on his face, if you say something mean, he looks kinda mad.

Derek, I had the same questions about role playing vids until I got this game. It is kinda like a board game, or card game in that you select an action, except the x-box rolls the dice for you (so to speak). The cool thing is you can "stack" commands (like others have said here) and watch what happens. You actually walk the character around from place to place (there is even a rapid transit system to take you back to your hideout when you need to go), then when you encounter people, doors, boxes, etc..., you get to chose what action he/she takes.

I would say it's kinda like a hybrid interactive movie/video game. It's kindof a refreshing change from the button mashers I usually play! :)

mrmiller
07-20-2003, 09:20 PM
I rented this friday, mainly beacuse of the fear of the combat system. But the turn based combat works, especially when you others in your party. That way it's pretty much real time. I'll be buying this once I have to return the rental.

I picked it up earlier today and so far it ROCKS. I totally feel immersed in a true star wars universe. It's great. :)

That's the best part- you get the true feeling of being in the Star Wars universe. The dialogue and voice action are great so far. I can't wait to get deeper into it.

=MATT=

Trip J
07-21-2003, 08:08 AM
I went the way of the soldier too, and pretty much let the computer set all of the attribute initially--I just wanted to play.

I just became a Padawan, and have done a pretty good job of sticking to the light-side. Next time through, though, I will definitely go dark. It looks like it could be so much more fun! I also will spend a lot more time setting up my character.

I've spent every free minute this weekend playing.

Is this game sucking out anybody else's soul?

mrmiller
07-21-2003, 12:30 PM
Has anyone picked up the Strategy guide for this? Does it explaing the skills and items better? Should I pick one up?

=MATT=

jpak001
07-21-2003, 01:23 PM
Man, I didn't have time to play at al this weekend :( .....

I did get the strategy guide yesterday, but haven't had a chance to check it out yet. I'll post my thoughts afte I actually use the thing! :)

btw: I found the "mini" version of the strategy guide @Target. It has all the same content, just a smaller sized book, and it's $5 cheaper!

crucifido
07-21-2003, 07:34 PM
It's incredibly complicated to the point of sucking every last bit of fun out of it. The ridiculous array of controls make for a very slow paced game, as opposed to the action game this thing should've been. You wind up spending more time in the start menu than playing the actual game. By the end of the first level I was ready to exchange it.

Buying a game only to have the game do all the fighting for you (the main fun part of any game like this) is ABSOLUTELY stupid. Whoever the dork at Lucas Arts was that thought up this system of fighting should immediately be fired. You can engage enemies and literally put the controller down to get something to drink while the game plays itself out. What kind of fun is that? The answer: NONE.

This game looks and sounds smooth, but it really doesn't lend itself to a game. It should've been a cartoon of some type. For all the interaction and controlling of the charcater it has no replay or fun value to it whatsoever. Once you go through this game once I can see no reason for you to ever pick it up again, other than to look at the cut scenes and the movies.

LucasArts has done alright (occasionally floundering along the way) up until this. But honestly, this has got to be one of the biggest disappointments from a Star Wars video game in a very long time, if not the biggest let-down yet.

SAVE YOUR MONEY - BUY SOMETHING - ANYTHING ELSE!

Boba Rhett
07-21-2003, 09:36 PM
Holy crap dude, I find it hard to believe you even played the game. I'm terribly sorry it's an RPG, I can see that's not what you wanted. And what do you mean it does the fighting for you? You decide what you want to do, you decided where you want to be, you decided what you want to use and you decide whom you fight. It's not a FPS, of course you can't squeeze of the blasts and saber strokes yourself, if you could then it couldn't be an RPG. Once again I'm terribly sorry this RPG plays like a fighter/fps. :rolleyes: I personally love the controls; they took me an hour or so to get used to but now they're great.

No replayability? Are you huffing some sort of tiling grout? First off, it's an RPG, secondly, it's in the Star Wars universe. This game has more replayability than most games that have come out this year. You can play through it as a good guy/gal or a bad guy/gal and choosing which way to play totally changes the things you do and how you interact with others as well as major character events. If that's not replayability what exactly is?

One of the biggest disappointments? WHAT are you talking about? This is not only one of the best Star Wars games to date but is also one of the best games crafted.

It is a RPG. You obviously bought the game thinking it was something else. Don't blame the game when you're so obviously the one that erred.

Not just star wars fans but everyone who owns an Xbox should buy this game. It's an instant classic.

Expect plenty of doctor bills from the people who have had irreversible brain damage from reading your post.

crucifido
07-22-2003, 01:43 AM
And what do you mean it does the fighting for you?
What I mean is it does the fighting for you! All you do is hit engage the enemy and watch it work. Where's the fun in that? If it does that for you then why not do the rest for you as well? Every other game you decide where you're gonna be and who talk to etc., but the thing is your skill actually dictates the outcome of the fight. In this game - your skill has nothing to do with it. It's all just where to stand. That to me - is not fun. Sometimes I like to take part in the actual action of the game. Guess I'm the odd man out when it comes to wnating to actually play the game instead of merely coahc it. It's like buying a sports game and only being able to make the calls without ever playing one damn play. Again, that is NOT FUN WHATSOEVER.

First off, it's an RPG, secondly, it's in the Star Wars universe. This game has more replayability than most games that have come out this year.
Granted, I love Star Wars as much as you do if not more, but just because it takes place in the Star Wars universe doesn't automatically make it replayable. Replayability is about having fun. Picking a different character to only see a different dialogue come from one of the other characters is not fun, it's repetitive and not exciting or engulfing as this game promises to be. It's a half-assed effort to make the game feel different when in actuality it's the same thing with a slightly different twist. If I wanted to see dialogue boxes constantly without ever taking part in the action, I'd rather have this just be a cartoon and not a game. This is billed as a game - it is anything but. It does not call for any gamesmanship or any special skill to get thourhg. It only calls for you standing somewhere or clicking a sentence to say without ever asking you to do any more. It's a freakin 50 dollar "choose your own adventure" book. That's not replayable, that's just plain a waste of time.

Don't blame the game when you're so obviously the one that erred.
I blame the game because it was billed as being something totally different than what it turns out to be. It is billed as a GAME - do you understand what the term game means? It doesn't mean spending 2/3 of the time in the start menu selecting which freaking attribute to put on at a certain time. A fair amount of that is fine and good, but the sheer fact that every single command takes place outside of the actual action is inconceivably ill thought out and not immersive at all. When I buy a game I actually expect to be playing a game, not scrolling through endless amounts of pause menu screens only to come back to the game and stand there watching the action take place without me involved.

This game IS a big disappointment in the fact that it is not a game at all (like I said before). You don't actually take part in any ACTION (not idle conversation) other than watching dialogue screens and pausing the thing an endless amount of times only to find out that the thing isn't going to let you dictate the outcome of your actions.

It's not an instant classic, it's an instant 19.99 game within 6 months. If you need a Star Wars game and you like to actually play it, buy any other Star Wars game besides this one.

Trip J
07-22-2003, 08:19 AM
Have you ever played an RPG? From the beginning, this was always billed as a STAR WARS RPG. To those of us that play them, that means loads of character development, lots and lots of interaction with non-player characters that helps to determine the outcome of the game, and a combat system that is less "action" and more "strategy." KotOR delivers all of this and more. The story line completely changes depending on which path you choose, meaning the game can is replayable. I for one plan on starting all over again when I finish and playing a dark Jedi.

40-60 hours through one story line
+40-60 hours through another story line
-------------------------------------
80-120 hours of gameplay for fifty bucks. Money well spent.

jpak001
07-22-2003, 10:44 AM
Yeah bud, I don't think you knew what you were getting into when you chose KOTOR. Mabye you should do a little research next time before you spend $50 on a video game.. (not bashing you, just a suggestion). There's tons of X-Box websites that post reviews, in fact there's a link to a review somewhere in this thread.

I had never even played a RPG video game before I got this, but since I checked into it first, I knew exactly what it was about before I bought it (and I'm not dissapointed, in fact I love it). I will admit the commercial they're playing does make it appear to be an action game. But all other reviews and descriptions clearly state otherwise.

Like I said before, it's a refreshing change from the button mashers I usually play.

Anakin2121
07-22-2003, 02:14 PM
So what's the combat like anyway? I know you select all of your moves and then your character does them. But in the gameplay trailers on lucasarts.com, the lightsaber duels were SO fluid, looked just like in the movies, rather than like in Jedi Knight 2, where 2 guys just jump and stab each other until one of them dies. :rolleyes: So are the duels really that fluid and cinematic?
Also, what's it like in general? Is there a lot of simple saber clashes and blocks in the dueling, and if one or two stabs get through you're opponent's done for? Or do you have to slash him, like, twenty times across the chest before he goes belly up? :)

Trip J
07-22-2003, 02:53 PM
Like most RPG's it's a turn-based system, meaning you choose your character's action, the character performs it, then your opponent does the same. This continues until someone dies or withdraws from combat. In this game, instead of pausing between turns, the character will continue to perform their base attack over and over unless the player chooses to have them do something else. In this way, the game keeps the seemless cinemegraphic look and feel to the battles and delivers the traditional RPG turn-based format. The player can still tell your character which attacks to perform at any time during combat, and your character will perform that attack on their next turn.

As far as injuring your opponents goes, each character in the game (playable and non-playable) has a certain amount of hitpoints, and when they are depleted, they die, just like any other RPG. The higher a characters HP, the more hits it takes to kill them.

I'll admit, it did take a little getting used to, but it does work, and quite well.

jpak001
07-22-2003, 04:04 PM
Hey Anakin,

Like TripJ said. And yeah, the duels are quite cinematic, very well done. I'm not sure if anyone here could answer the lightsaber questions though... I haven't gotten one yet (do have a cool double bladed sword though, forget what it's actually called).

Anyone here get a lightsaber yet?

Trip J
07-22-2003, 04:09 PM
I've got two now, a blue one and a green one.

I don't want to spoil too much, but you will get one not long after leaving Tarris (meaning fairly early on in the game).

Anakin2121
07-22-2003, 04:52 PM
But what is the enemy HP like? I can understand bosses having a lot, but do even basic thugs take many many hits to kill?

jpak001
07-22-2003, 06:51 PM
Sweet! ...must have saber....

Nah, the basic thugs are pretty easy to kill. Usually a couple of hits will take them down.

Hey TripJ, did you complete the duels in the upper cantina ? I still need to beat Twitch.... (Think that's his name...).

Boba Rhett
07-23-2003, 01:54 AM
SPOILERS!!!!

I'm using two sabers right now, a green one and a purple one; both decked out with the best crystals I have. They rock! :D

Trip J
07-23-2003, 08:03 AM
Jpak: yep. I got through all of the duels in the cantina. Depending on whether you are playing light-side or dark-side, you might not want to, though the money and prestige for doing it is okay.

WARNING Spoilers Ahead!
I'm also using two sabers, a regular green one and a short purple one that I got from a Dark Jedi I killed on Kashyyk (my current stop). I also picked up a double-bladed one in that fight :D . I like the long and short together, though; they really kick some butt!

Rhett, did you kill Juhmani?

Boba Rhett
07-23-2003, 09:16 AM
SPOILERS!

Nope. I had her join my crew. :) She's a pretty good fighter.

jpak001
07-23-2003, 10:24 AM
Spoilers........
Damn...... I'm way behind you guys. I'm still on the 1st planet looking for "big Z" in the sewers (I like the Gammorean slavers, seems like a fitting role for them). Hopefully I'll be able to devote some real time to KOTOR this weekend....

Trip J
07-23-2003, 01:53 PM
Hey Jpak! Have fun with the

*Minor Spoiler*

Rancor! :evil: It took me a bit to figure that part out.

*Note: Edited for spelling*

Jedi_Bates
07-23-2003, 10:19 PM
Are you guys still on Taris... Starmaps... or starforge?? I'm on the end of the starforge, near the end of the game i think... Although i did buy the game the day it came out in my area. If you guys are still on Taris once you get the sabers and your force powers you'll agree with me that KOTOR Is the best console game yet. Well just my opinion atleast.

If you're stuck or need any help just LMK.
....... or if you could help me where i am.
Thanks

Jedi_Bates
07-23-2003, 10:22 PM
BTW, I am a scout. My original guy was a scoundrel on tatooine with 3 starmaps already but my friend accidentaly erased it. GRRRRRRRRRRRRr :mad: Anyways i've surpassed that character by far. I'm on the starforge and am about to face malak for title "Dark Lord Master" (btw i'm on the darkside)

Boba Rhett
07-23-2003, 11:17 PM
I beat the game very early this morning. I'm going to play through it a few more times though as different personas. I can help with ay questions as well.

Trip J
07-24-2003, 08:15 AM
I've gone through Tariss, Dantooine, and Kashyyk. I'm on my way to Tatooine.

I don't understand why, but my wife takes issue with me ignoring her at night to play video games! :(

I agree that this might be one of the best console games I've ever played. I was hesitant to buy yet another console system (I already had the PS2 and GC but no Xbox), but I am really glad that I did!

Greyfolk
07-24-2003, 10:42 AM
I can help with ay questions as well.

What is the pattern for the tiled floor?

-Greyfolk

Jedi_Bates
07-24-2003, 02:05 PM
Boba Rhett. How did you defeat those never ending droids on the starforge??? I've killed like hundreds of them and they wont stop comming. Please help

Greyfolk. I have no idea how do do the florr pattern. I just ran around on it until i got lucky. It somehow only took me like 2 seconds to do.

Oh yeah.... Is the starforge the very last level?

Jedi_Bates
07-24-2003, 03:10 PM
Nevermind. I figured out the droid thing and after an hour of trying to kill their never ending numbers last night i found out that all i had to do was open one door. LOL. Well I just beat the game. Since I'm evil it was the sith ending and it was sweet. My friend has a file on my x box and he like 3 hours away from beating the game so i'll get to see how it is when you're on the light side.

By far the best game EVER.

My only complaint was that I didnt get to save after i killed malak and i thought i could walk around and be like "yeah i'm the dark sith lord" anyways except for that the Game was Excellent.

Boba Rhett
07-24-2003, 07:03 PM
Greyfolk: I made a picture for that because it's been coming up a lot at swknights. Here it is:

http://www.exquisition.net/rhett/platforms.jpg If that link goes down someone please tell me.

And yes, the Star Forge is the last level.

BFett88
07-31-2003, 10:00 PM
KOTOR rocks. Who has played it. I am currently on my way to the dark side. So far the story is really cool. But I am only about 15 hours in and I have a green and a red lightsaber. But this game is one of the greats of all time. What does everyone else think. And if you do not have this game. Buy it or go buy an X - Box to play it. Or just play it on your computer.

Trip J
08-01-2003, 08:21 AM
I just finished my light-side game. Then I started a dark-side game. I'm on Taris, and some of my behavior is making me fell, well, a little guilty...anyone ele feel this way?

jpak001
08-01-2003, 04:11 PM
That's funny man! I felt the same way when I started a dark side game. It's almost hard to do the wrong thing. It's like going against your initial instincts, wierd....

Although..... I accidentally deleted my dark character :stupid: So now I'll have to start over with him :rolleyes:

Hellboy
08-01-2003, 07:13 PM
Well I don't think I have as much free time as some of you but I am really enjoying this game even if I'm not that far into it. I like to take my time and explore as much as possible with RPG's so even if I had more time to play I doubt I'd be finished yet. So far my choices in the game have been mostly light-side but from time to time I find myself following the dark-side so it will be interesting to see which ending I get.

jpak001
08-01-2003, 09:05 PM
Oh yeah dude, I'm there with you. I've onlyabout 9 hours invested into my good character, and had a few on my evil one (I dig how it keeps a "time of play" count for you).

It is a lot of fun, but I'm way behind most people here (still just a padawan..).

Runobot
08-05-2003, 11:37 AM
I got it Saturday and have 12 hours now. I started a Scoundrel, and now am a Jedi guardian, which isn't really a good match. I think I am level 9 or 10..

I may actually go back and become some other Jedi class, but I will lose about an hour of playing time (if I have the save game, I will do it though).

Anyone else give the Wookie the prototype sword? Right now he is my toughest character. Man, him using the Master flurry is just nasty. The jedi are wimps right now (level 9). I hope they get tougher...

RussUAE
10-12-2003, 07:33 AM
I bought the Xbox especially for this game.

So far loving it, but not got far and not sure where to go next - I'm still on the Taris Upper City, done a couple of duels, saved a guy from a bounty hunter, played that card game, and now not sure where am meant to go next!

Strategy guide is on order... (I love these games, but am so bad at them, I always need to get a guide!)

Darth Nihilus
10-20-2003, 04:27 AM
Mebbe it's different for the US but the clue to the tiled floor is found on the same level, you just walk a 'H' pattern.

My impressions - A fun game, but not great, not by a long shot. I'm glad Bioware went for a more simplified combat system, I found similar systems like in Morrowind and Baldur's Gate to be frustrating.

Good writing, easily surpassing anything put on film by Lucas in the past six years. BTW - Who foresaw the 'big revelation' the moment they left Taris? It was pretty obvious.

The characterisations were excellent, HK-47 was my favourite by far.

The lack of true exploration crippled the game for me. There was no way you could get lost in this game, the dungeons and maps were way too small.

I got sick of talking to the same impersonators every where I went, they could have tried for a little variety in the face and body types.

I didn't like the cap on leveling, but then that's probably a D20 thing, I wouldn't know. I also would have liked more fights..

And yes, I did feel strangely guilty trying to play through the darkside.

Did anyone else have a bizarre glitch whereupon the Zalbar would keep replicating himself aboard the Ebon Hawk?

jedi master sal
10-21-2003, 10:55 AM
Well, I finally finished the game on Sunday. I played a female soldier-light side. Now I'm going for a total darkside dude. I chose the one with the scar. I'm told he looks the best as a darksider. The one with the fu-manchu style goatee is the next best darkside look.
MANY SPOILERS BELOW!!!!!! YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!!!

The tiled floor is rather simple. Walk onto each corner respectively (not touching any other tiles) you can do this by walking on them then walking off them and "around", without touching the other tiles, the square to another corner. Once you've walked onto all of the corners (BTW-do NOT walk onto the odd ball one off the the one corner) walk onto the middle square and viola, the puzzle will be complete.

The droids in the star forge are easy as well once you've got the pattern down. basically, do not fight them. (If you have the nextor crystal-this is the one that has great blaster deflection) then your character should deflect most of the bolts away and your strong enough at this point to take damage. Anyway, go to a computer console and providing you have enough computer spikes (stock up on these as you'll need 48 of them to stop all of the consoles that create the droids) and disable the console by using 8 spikes. there are 6 consoles. for each droid you "kill" a spike is placed into the respective canister next to the console with the same letter as the droid you just killed. (This is good to know in case you run out of spikes!) you may want to kill off the droids for which you've already "spiked" the console for. Don't worry, they won't re-spawn. Once you take out a console, it won't produce droids.

Again you can take alot of damage at this point and you should already be fairly stocked with med-packs, advanced medpacks and life support to get you through. (Don't use too many though as you will need these handy for your showdown with Darth Malak!)

BTW, for those who have not attained 3 star maps yet, you may want to finish as many or all side quests as possible. Once you get your third star map, when you try to go to another planet you will be forceably ripped out of hyperspace and taken prisoner on the Leviathan (Darth Malak's Flagship). after completeting this stage you can however go back to other worlds and finish side quests. I STRONGLY recommend finishing those if you want to complete everything before going to the Unknown world. Once you gone to the Unknown world, you can't go back to other worlds. (You ship's hyperspace console is damaged and once you get the star map from here, the game only allows you to go to the Star Forge. So complete those sidequests! (You don't need to to finish the game, but if you want all of the experience you can get then do this.)

Also, EVERY droid you have the opportunity to repair with parts, do so. You'll gain valuable XP easily and you don't really need the parts for anything else, other than the short while that you need either droid-(On Taris-entering the the Sith base and again on Tatooine entering the Tusken Raider camp). You do not need the droids at all, at any other point in the game after those two points in the game. (Therfore, you don't need to buy any upgrades for them-You'll get the upgrades later for free by searching, later in the game, anyway.)

Only if you want to make the game very difficult for yourself should you use Mission. She is the weakest along with possibly M3-T7. (Obviously you have to use her on Taris but after that-no.) All the rest of the NPC's that are non-Jedi are roughly equal. You'll find the game very easy using yourself, Jolee and Juhani. Especially later in the game with everyone using force attacks and such.

As far as how should you allocate points when you level up, I can only give you a guideline. To start (when you start a new game) add points to that will help with persuasion. This is important ALOT during the course of the game. Obviously you'll want a physically strong character but that's not totally neccessary. Remember that you'll beusing the force alot in the later stages so strength and dex are not vital (although you still want them to be reasonable high). If you know your going for full light side or dark-side then ONLY take those powers. do not invest in a light side power if your a darksider and vice-versa. Your healing power should be fairly high too, but Jolee and Juhani make up for that quite well during gameplay. (It's just that final confrntation with Malak were all of this comes together.)

Do NOT invest in computer skills, repair, stealth. You don't need them. You always have someone else in your party who is better at those three so use them instead to do what you need done.

For those that need help beating the Tarentatek (Gawd, I know I really mispelled that) place ALOT of mines. Be sure to have your best stealth belt equipped and don't venture to far from the door once you've entered the room with those two creatures. While in stealth mode you can place the mines. Stagger them so that the creatures don't blow them all up at once. you want them to take all the damage you can get from you mine. Once the mince are in place, choose one of the creatures and take it out first-only with brief interuptions to stun the other creature. (Using stasis works VERY well here, wile force whirlwind, wave do nothing) Be sure and use grenades first before attacking them upclose. at the begining of this fight with the mines in place, you can throw your grenades at one of the and with the help of the mines you can SEVERLY weaken one if not the both of them. Once you've killed off one of them it get's real easy. By that point the other one has taken a bit of damage as well. you can just run around the room, staying far enough away and let your force power replenish. The attack with stasis. OH, BTW the sword of Ajunta works the best IMO against these creatures so equip yourself with that instead of a lightsaber.

Okay, any questions?

I'd be happy to answer them and in detail, so fire away.

End of Spoilers.

Sidious696
03-25-2004, 10:21 AM
Hello,

I too thought that they did a good job on KoToR. My only disappointment with it is the role playing portion of the game(I think they could have done better in that department.).

clonehead
03-25-2004, 01:46 PM
has anyone been able to get into the martle grounds on dantooine?

scruffziller
03-26-2004, 08:34 AM
I like in the trailer they show a ship that looks alot like SLAVE I.

Mandalorian Candidat
04-06-2004, 10:48 AM
Hey guys, I finally got KOTOR last night at Target. It's on sale this week for $25. Looks pretty sweet.

Which is the best side to go for first, light or dark?

Dar' Argol
04-06-2004, 04:03 PM
I got this game for the PC about 3 weeks ago. I've logged over 42 hours on my lightside character and finished it. I was able to get the Guardian crystal and the Mantel Crystal from the Yavin space station. Those really make a difference in your saber. Problem was before I even finished the game I maxed out my Jedi Guardian character :(.

This is by far one of the best SW games to date IMO. Its exactly what I've been looking for . . a good RPG SW themed. The plot was pretty decent . . . threw me for a loop there the first time around. Now that I'm playing darkside I've noticed a few "things".

I just wish the Swoop race bikes were upgradable . . some of those courses are darn near impossible to beat . . . . But for the most part I love this game. I can't wait to see if they come out with a sequel. Maybe you can re-use your character in the next chapter . . that would be nice.

Boba Rhett
04-11-2004, 06:29 AM
They're showing a demo of the sequel this year at E3... at least... they're supposed to. Who knows with all the problems LucasArts is having. KotOR2 isn't even being developed by Bioware. :/

mini-rock
04-11-2004, 04:08 PM
I got this game for the PC about 3 weeks ago. I've logged over 42 hours on my lightside character and finished it. I was able to get the Guardian crystal and the Mantel Crystal from the Yavin space station. Those really make a difference in your saber. Problem was before I even finished the game I maxed out my Jedi Guardian character :(.

This is by far one of the best SW games to date IMO. Its exactly what I've been looking for . . a good RPG SW themed. The plot was pretty decent . . . threw me for a loop there the first time around. Now that I'm playing darkside I've noticed a few "things".

I just wish the Swoop race bikes were upgradable . . some of those courses are darn near impossible to beat . . . . But for the most part I love this game. I can't wait to see if they come out with a sequel. Maybe you can re-use your character in the next chapter . . that would be nice.

Another thing I'd like to see done is an unlimited XP so you can accumilate as many force powers and upgrades as you wish. I was a little bummed when I maxed my XP out on Tatooine, and was only half way through the game. Hopefully this is something done for KOTOR II.

Other than that I agree that this is one of the best or possibly the best SW games I have played.

plasticfetish
04-19-2004, 10:53 PM
OK.
So, we got our tax return (hooray for the child tax credit) and on Easter day the wife (yes, the wife!) says, "Let's go buy an X-Box." So, in keeping with the spirit of Easter ( :rolleyes: ) we hit the game store and then picked up KOTOR as well. The wife says, "What's that game?" My 6 year old says, "It's gonna be fun."

You know it's a good game when my wife, who couldn't care less about Star Wars or RPGs, becomes so hooked on it that we -- all 3 of us, including the kid -- fight for play time.

Anyway, I'm still pretty early in... just now trying to beat the Sith military base on Tarris for the codes. Such a friggin' fun game. The most fun that I've had with a game since I first picked up Resident Evil 2 for PS1.

Ooh, I feel so dirty having to admit that I love this X-Box. So dirty... dirrrrty.

jedimarvin
04-20-2004, 03:12 PM
I would have to agree KOTOR is one of the ebst Star Wars games to date. I can't say "best" just yet because I still have a soft spot in my heart for X-Wing Alliance.

Anyway, I didn't think anything could beat Jedi Knight II but this game rocked! I got Two Towers under the Christmas Tree this year, and pretended to be very pleased until I could get back to the mall and exchange it for KOTOR. I think the thing I liked best wa steh fact you could explore so much map area.

I agree though that it sucked you couldn't upgrade the swoop bikes. My biggest complaint, though, like everyone else I think is the level cap. I didn't realise there was a cap so I wasn't as careful as I could have been planning out EXP distribution at the beginning. side form that tho, an incredible game!

Also very good news to hear that there's a sequal. I'm not too worried about the change of developer is that is the case because, IMO every Star Wars game sequal has been far superior to its predecessor.

plasticfetish
05-03-2004, 10:27 PM
So close... so close to the end... can't stop playing...

Hellboy
05-04-2004, 05:02 PM
I'm not sure if anyone here is subscribed to Xbox Live but if you do this free download might interest you. Personally I'm waiting for Halo 2 to come out before I try out this service but its nice to see cool updates like this. This KOTOR news was in this months EGM.

So that Xbox Live logo on the KOTOR box wasn't just a clever ruse after all. Nab the recently released free download, and you'll gain access to a new area, Yavin Station. There, you'll meet a new race, the Trandoshans, and be able to purchase additional previously unavailable weapons and items, like an advanced bio-stabalizer mask that makes you immune to poison.

Dar' Argol
06-01-2004, 07:43 PM
Here's a nice artical on Knights of the Old Republic II:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/rpg/kotor2/preview_6095371.html

I want the game now . . . . :cry:

And by the way . . WM dropped the price of KOTOR to $29.84 or something like that . . . damn them!

plasticfetish
09-12-2004, 04:19 PM
KOTOR 2 available in December!

http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swkotor_sithlords/

Mmmm, merry X-mas to me!

Hellboy
09-13-2004, 08:24 PM
KOTOR 2 available in December!

Thats great news indeed. :cool:

Last I heard it was slated for a February release. Unfortunately I've also heard rumors of this game being rushed to capitalize off the success of the first installment. Lets just hope the quality doesn't suffer since BioWare (the developers of the first game) are not responsible for this sequel. :nerv:

plasticfetish
09-13-2004, 08:33 PM
X-box verison in December, PC version in February.

Yeah, I suppose we'll just have to wait and see what the initial reviews are like. So far, it looks to be as good as KOTOR 1, and that's good enough for me.

Runobot
09-14-2004, 07:45 AM
I saw this game at comic-con and was disappointed. It looked exactly the same to me as the original. More of the same, you know?