PDA

View Full Version : Now that it's out, is anyone going to buy the Saga TIE Bomber?

JangoFart
02-26-2003, 12:51 AM
I have the POTJ TIE Bomber and love it - great toy in a great box that displays, well, great. I'm a completist and thought I would snag the Saga version as soon as I saw it. However, now that I've seen it, I can't convince myself to buy it.

I've seen TONS of them 'round these parts and TWICE I had one in my buggy and on both occasions put it back before checking out. I can just think of a much better use for 30 Star Wars bucks than on something I already have, just in a different box. (Of course, FINDING the other stuff worthy of 30 bucks is a different story)

I'm pretty much feeling the same way on the "new" figures to be re-released on the Saga card (except the Masters of the Sith Maul). I did buy the Imperial Officer, Eeth Koth, and Teebo on Saga card even though I have the POTJ versions. However, something tells me I won't be interested in the other re-releases once I see them.

Having a "complete" collection is becoming less of a "need" when I have to re-buy the same thing to complete it.

What are you folks going to do?

J

James Boba Fettfield
02-26-2003, 01:03 AM
I'm passing it on it. I can only take my college budget so far. I like having the product, I really don't care what a different package can do for them.

bobafrett
02-26-2003, 01:07 AM
I bought one, but only because I didn't have one in my collection. But money is getting very tight, and a Star Wars supporting 3rd job is harder to find these days.

LTBasker
02-26-2003, 02:01 AM
I'm hoping to get it because I didn't get the POTJ one, but $30 is just a little steep and while the overall look and such is nicely done, I just feel dissapointed when I look at it. One Pilot, one cockpit, a few bombs, just something doesn't sit right.. I guess cause I was hoping they'd go the extra and put in a Bomber cockpit behind the pilot one, or have more features with it. *shrugs*

Emperors_Hand_2211
02-26-2003, 02:07 AM
I'll be getting one, because I missed the POTJ one.
As for the price. $30. Be grateful. It's 35 over here since it's secondary market only, which is somewhere between $45 and $50.
As for the Saga re-releases I won't be bothering. I feel my collection is complete without them. Since I open my figures anyway how would I tell which was which.

mark2d2
02-26-2003, 03:34 AM
The TIE BOMBER is an amazing ship. My favorite in the ENTIRE line.

But since I already have the POTJ version, I simply cannot justify picking up another one. No matter, I'm glad it was re-issued for all of the guys that missed it the first time around.

kool-aid killer
02-26-2003, 07:08 AM
When the POTJ line was running i was stuck working at a supermarket that barely gave me enough hours to make my car payment and insurance. I pretty much had to give up collecting at that time for about 11 months. I missed out on the TIE bomber, B-wing, Y-wing, and TIE interceptor and it seemed like Omaha wasnt getting any of the basic figures either. Now that ive got a job that can support my hobby and car ive had to make up for it by buying what i missed off of ebay. I went to my favorite Walmart everyday until i found it and im glad they re-issued it because i would much rather pay $30 for it than $45 on ebay.

mtriv73
02-26-2003, 10:33 AM
I bought it and I have the POTJ version as well. I really like the new paint details, but if money is an issue with you stick with your old one. Aside from a few black smudges and some blaster marks there is no difference. I think you can never have enough bad guys though so I may buy one more when they're discounted.

JediDan
02-26-2003, 11:37 AM
They have been sitting on the shelves for quite some time now. Every Walmart I go to have a about 6 of them sitting there going nowwhere. I'm not picking one up, they do look cool but I just stick to the 3 3/4" figs.

Jedi Drew
02-26-2003, 11:40 AM
I also have the POTJ one (like many of you do) so i'll pass on the repackaged one. If it becomes discounted then i'll pick it up.

Banthaholic
02-26-2003, 12:04 PM
I picked up the saga version. I also have the POTJ version, but after waiting since '80 for this cool ship I had to get another.

I saw these on slae at wal-mart for $23 so that's not too bad, otherwise the $28 price tah isn't too rediculous when you consider the gunship was $40.

Although the local wal-mart got in a case of potj tie/snowspeeder last month, and the funny thing is that the saga one's sold before the potf one's There might even be oen left on the shelf, although since I've had my potj for some time I'll leave them to make some one elses day.

Adam
02-26-2003, 12:50 PM
I missed the PotJ one as well, so I'll be getting this one.

SNAYSON
02-26-2003, 03:10 PM
i would buy one or two tie bombers if i see them.

aharry
02-26-2003, 04:26 PM
Re-hashes and endless paint variations broke me from the completist carded/boxed mindset. It was breaking my bank account and taking way too much space in my den. On a weird note, I stopped at a Super Wally out in the New Tampa area and saw them sitting next to $10 Slave One boxes in the clearance aisle. I didn't see if they were actually on clearance or put there by accident. I didn't really explore the boxes enough as I was blown away that Slave One dropped to $10.

jpak001
02-26-2003, 06:31 PM
I got one, but only because I missed out on the POTJ one.

It's a cool looking ship, not sure it's really the right scale (anyone here know?), but still a cool looking ship. And the "bomb dropping action" works very well.

AdmiralPiett
02-26-2003, 11:31 PM
Are you guys seriously still finding these things? I found mine about a month ago and haven't seen one since.
I was very grateful when I found it because I couldn't find it the first time around in POTJ packaging. It was so limited last year. Anyway, thank you Hasbro for putting this ship out again for people like me.
Now give me a Sandcrawler and Tantive IV!!!
Piett

JangoFart
02-26-2003, 11:59 PM
Piett: My closest Wal-Mart has about 10 or more in stock. However, that's about ALL it has in the way of Star Wars any more :(

J

bobafrett
02-27-2003, 12:06 AM
Yeah the Wal-Mart nearest to me has 4 TIE bombers, and a couple of figures that looked like they took a soda bath then dried to the floor before being picked up leaving part of the package on the floor, and the garbage looking remainder on the peg hook, oh they also have some cheap lightsabers.

AdmiralPiett
02-27-2003, 12:16 AM
Oddly enough, bobafrett, I can picture those messed up figures almost exactly as you have described them. All the figures in my area are just covered in a millimeter of dust (maybe a little more).
Piett

jjreason
02-27-2003, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by Emperors_Hand_2211

As for the Saga re-releases I won't be bothering. I feel my collection is complete without them. Since I open my figures anyway how would I tell which was which.

I was thinking the same thing, EH. However, looking at the carded Teebo pics, it looks to me like the new version includes a couple of accessories that I didn't get with my POTJ Teebo (the two round things - a knife and a horn?). Since I got mine loose (in the tray, though) Im not sure if I got ripped, or if they're new accessories. I've also heard some of the rereleases will have previously unavailable bases to make them more desirable. Cross that bridge when I get there, I suppose.

TIE Bomber? One will do, unless I see the new one on clearance (which ain't likely).

Emperors_Hand_2211
02-27-2003, 02:52 AM
I think I remember someone, possibly Jargo, saying that the accesories were with the original releases but were kind of on the teebo figure, rather than loose in the blister.
The bases however are a different matter.
As you say, it's a wait and see I think.

Moot point really anyway since I've got sod all money at the moment, and can't buy anything.

Old Fossil
02-27-2003, 07:30 AM
I have the POTJ one. It's a terrific ship, best of the POTJ/POTF2 lines. I haven't decided about the Saga version, but I like the added blast marks; will look cool sitting next to my 'clean' one.

Actually, I'd rather have a new TIE Fighter (resculpt).

OC47150
02-27-2003, 07:33 AM
I saw it for the first time Sunday. There was only one. I think I'll pass on this one.