PDA

View Full Version : Wave 4 news!

AndyW
02-26-2003, 06:28 AM
Following a report by a forum member (can't remember your username sorry) that action figure express has them in stock and is expecting to get them in a few days, thought you might be interested in other news. Entertainment Earth now has them in stock and galactic hunter has a small preview report on them HERE (http://www.**************.com/absolutenm/templates/full_article_template_1.asp?articleid=866&zoneid=2)

I'm quite quite excited, so when people recieve them lets have full reports and thoughts, if thats ok :D

Oh, and from the pictures HERE (http://www.**************.com/absoluteig/gallery.asp?action=viewimage&categoryid=2900&text=&imageid=2622&box=&shownew=) It doesn't look like theres space for mini figs sorry :(

AndyW
02-26-2003, 06:32 AM
Will these boards not allow you to link to other sites?

AndyW
02-26-2003, 06:39 AM
Well, sure everyone can find them without the links anyway, theres loads of pictures, I'm even more impatient now :)

matthewilw
02-26-2003, 12:34 PM
what web site are you trying to link too?

AndyW
02-26-2003, 12:46 PM
Galactic hunter, I'll try it again: Galactic Hunter (http://www.**************.com)

LTBasker
02-26-2003, 01:52 PM
Only Galactic Hunter is starred out when the two words are put together because Steve was mad about them using pictures (I dunno which) that were 'supposed' to have been SSG exclusive.

Anyways, this wave looked promising but Hasbro's sinking in the knife even more this time around. I think I can find a reason why they're making the 2003 boxes like that, to copy the Winner's Circle 1:24 die-cast boxes.

Hasbro used to own the Winner's Circle line, however in 2002 they lost it to Action Performance, who is one of the major companies behind NASCAR merchandise. Since Action has used it, they've improved quality of the Winner's Circle line, and added many more significant changes which make it even better. When Hasbro had the line, their 1:24 scale die-cast cars came in a cardboard box with windows on the side, but when Action took over they made the 1:24 scale car boxes a cardboard bottom with a plastic lid. I think Hasbro was sore about them doing that because it lookers nicer than Hasbro's usually poor quality cardboard boxes.

Anyways, on to the AF ships!

Slave 1 - They couldn't even design a frickin stand so it can be in fly mode? Now that's cheap, if they're not gonna release a figure with it, at least give it a better stand. :rolleyes:

Clone Trooper Transport - Ok, this thing is a slightly detailed block of plastic, why is it so small though?? It's like barely bigger than the Solar Sailor without sail.

Gunship - Nice details and such, however the cockpits are definitely not designed with figures in mind. You can see that with the seat curves, no way an AF figure is gonna look right with those curves in the seats. Also they couldn't put some grey line detail on the side bubble pods?...

Things are just getting worse and worse, makes me wish they'd just end it already and let it rest in peace instead of mutilating it like this.

matthewilw
02-26-2003, 02:00 PM
this wave is kind of bitter sweet for me. I really wanted a gunship, and now I finally have one, but it doesn't hold figures. I liked the prototype better with the blacked-out paint instead of just clear. I agree about the Slave I though, I'm not going to buy it, although I probably would have if it came with a better stand. I also have no plans to buy the troop transport. But I still think the gunship looks great and I'm still planing on buying at least two.
I don't have to worrry about it being able to fit large amounts of troops in the bay area because I don't have any storm troopers or anything for it to hold.

:crazed:

AndyW
02-26-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker Only Galactic Hunter is starred out when the two words are put together because Steve was mad about them using pictures (I dunno which) that were 'supposed' to have been SSG exclusive.

Ah, didn't know about that, sorry steve, didn't mean anything by it, I'm loyal to you :D

I am getting all three as I am collecting all the action fleet while they still exist (just incase they dissapear again) and in particular I have been waiting for the gunship and the acclamator troop ship, mainly because I like the designs so much. Slave one I'm not thrilled about, but I don't have the boba painted slave one, and I think its a decent enough little model.
What I will say about the stand issue, from a designers point of view, and I've worked on stands similar to that one, it would be too costly to make a specific stand to enable that toy to be in fly mode, IMHO. That said, would have been nice to see.

I can fully understand how you see hasbro are cutting corners, not painting the clone gunnery turret for instance is just plain sloppy if you ask me, and I can understand the anger by collectors about the mini figs, even if that isn't a priority for me.

The new boxes are a mystery to me, yes they show off the toy in the box well, and on a shelf it may become easier to see individual ships, but from all over points of view, its crap. Looks cheap and rubbish, all the info is on the bottom, which is the mistake of a first year packaging design student with no talent. Though, again this isn't a buying concern as although I keep the boxes, I don't have them on display, just the toys.

I got an email from dave saying mine should ship in a few days, I have been waiting for this for ages, and I will probably buy two more gunships and troop transports when I can find them on these shores.

neonblade
02-26-2003, 05:11 PM
I have to agree about them

The gunship's trurrets not being painted is very cheap lloking and the lack of a fig is horrible.

The cockpit does look bigger than the at-te's but we'll have to see? Myabe a custom could fit them?

I just want hasbro to bring back action fleet and stop looking at af like there models. THEY ARE TOYS. Galoob understood that. I want playsets and figs and better ship. I am in conection with a a women that works for Hasbro and she might be able to just get me in. Heck i might be able to get in touch with the big guys and lets jus say the past could come back

AndyW
02-26-2003, 06:22 PM
I personally would prefer accuracy, well, as close to as you can get and it still be a toy and be cheap. I have to be honest, I don't think hasbro will every bring back mini figs, ever, but thats just my point of view.

good shot jansen
02-26-2003, 07:10 PM
dave roberts from D&S toys just sent me notification that my wave 4 shipment has been sent and is on the way! :)

in the immortal words of darth vader...........yippie!

(with apologies to jt for swiping his old tag line)

AndyW
02-26-2003, 07:30 PM
Just got the same email jansen, great shot kid that was one in a million!

Or something :D

Last time I ordered something I had it on the 9-12 days shipping, this time I had it on the express cos I'm so dammed impatient, so it shouldn't be long, 3-4 days! Wahay!

AndyW
02-26-2003, 09:24 PM
Actually, scrub that, will be here in a week, must have selected the wrong shipping option, nevermind, I've waited this long I think I can hold out :D

But whoever gets em first stick up a nice long review, I wait details to pass the wait :)

bobafrett
02-27-2003, 12:50 AM
I just picked up one Slave 1, one Clone Trooper Transport, and one Gunship and while I liked the new packaging, I would like the figures that used to come with the Action Fleet vehicles back. I still remember finding out that one of the TIE fighter vehicles had one with a figure that had a removable helmet that revealed this mini George Lucas face. What is up with the mini figures?

matthewilw
02-27-2003, 01:16 AM
damn, you guys are making me nuts! I'm now going to spend all my free time searching for these things at retail......let's just hope I can find them fast. :crazed:

LTBasker
02-27-2003, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by bobafrett
I still remember finding out that one of the TIE fighter vehicles had one with a figure that had a removable helmet that revealed this mini George Lucas face. What is up with the mini figures?

They're too expensive to rerelease because the paint for the rehashes really takes from Hasbro's wallet. :rolleyes:

We've had what, 7 new vehicles now (Zam, Ani and Spidey coming soon)? The rest of the line's vehicles have features taken out, and just a new paint job applied. Not too mention obviously cheaper materials being used for packaging and overall construction (rubbery plastic). All the corners they're cutting were already cut when they decided that the majority of the line would be rehashes, and not even real HTF ones.

I wish I could go to a convention just to slap any and all Hasbro employees with a big "It's NOT Display Fleet!" sign.

cabour
02-27-2003, 03:36 AM
I also get a message from Dave Roberts, the wave 4 is on the way ... so, far before the mid-march he said :) :) :) :)

AndyW
02-27-2003, 11:54 AM
I'm not that fussed about the next 'speeder' wave, and the spider droid looks ok though, will get them when I can find them cheap. What I will be pre-ordering as soon as I can is the Jedi Starfighter and Mon Cal cruisers, can't wait, but that really is AGES away yet.

So, people who got em from walmart, what do you think so far?

AndyW
02-27-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by cabour
I also get a message from Dave Roberts, the wave 4 is on the way ... so, far before the mid-march he said :) :) :) :)

Good news eh, I had a feeling they would be early. How long before they get to you? I'm looking at about a week :)

sicqnus
02-27-2003, 12:29 PM
a few Wal*Mart have the wave 4 on the shelves...
Keep your eyes open !

neonblade
02-27-2003, 04:24 PM
the new jedi starfighter will be stupid if it can't hold a fig even if it doesn't come with one. Hasbro makes big ships too small and small ships ( jsf, racers etc)) huge!!!. I want a good jsf. PLease hasbro please!!!!!!!!!

LTBasker
02-27-2003, 05:08 PM
I don't get their scaling... theres the Star Destroyer prototype which is rather big compared to the Imperial Officer figure with it, yeah the Trooper Transport may not come with a figure, but they could at least make it bigger than the stand.

betcha if galoob made the trooper transport they would've made it a micro-machine playset so it would be huge and have deployable gunships and at-te's...

neonblade
02-27-2003, 07:20 PM
HASBRO SUCKS

neonblade
02-27-2003, 07:22 PM
GALOOB KNEW HOW TO DO IT

bobafrett
02-28-2003, 02:38 PM
I picked up the Wave 4 vehicles earlier this week, at a near by Wal-Mart. I miss the little people though :D .

Jangu Fett
02-28-2003, 06:47 PM
I told you HAsbro would be the death of the ACTION FLEET. It's looking like I was right.

Anyway, awhile back Glitch mentioned that the Jedi Starfighter, would be big enough to fit a figure. But the way Hasbro is going, we'll most likely get a cheat die-cast sized POS. Like the Solar Sailer.

Jangu Fett
02-28-2003, 07:03 PM
Heck if making a desent AF cost to much, maybe Hasblow should save money by getting rid of that cheesey GI Joe MM line. Heck they have the molds If they want to continue being cheap with the AF, but want to bring back the mini-figs. Use the old Boba Fett molds and just paint him differently, for a cheap Jango.

And why are they so busy wasting money on this CLONE WARS COMMERICAL?????????????? IT's not even a single HOUR show. I'm really just dumb-founded by how mentally diffective HAsbro is.

Banthaholic
02-28-2003, 07:07 PM
Today I stopped at my Wal-mart hoping to see the new AF Wave, and there to my surprise there they were, another case from wave 1 from last year.
Darn it!!!!
It took so long for the shelves to empty out there, and now here they go again with stocking more 'old' merchandise.
I guess I'm going to be finding these elsewhere...

JediTricks
02-28-2003, 08:42 PM
Wave 1 has started shipping to my area again as well, and it ain't moving anymore. So sad to see all those Solar Sailers too.

bobafrett
03-01-2003, 01:11 AM
I actually skipped on several of the first ones, because they all seemed to be the same as the old ships. I'm only buying the AF stuff from Episode II. I don't give a darn if they have new containers to hold the same old ships in. Unless they go on clearance, then I'll buy a few to open.

good shot jansen
03-01-2003, 11:53 AM
i received the wave 4 shipment from d & s toys yesterday.

1st off, the once again :rolleyes: new packaging is a pain in the patootie. it does indeed display the vehicle nicely, but there is no way on heaven or earth that you can open the packaging to get at the toy, and leave the packaging in any kind of condition other than landfill fodder. they obviously have now marketed these new "toys" at the display in package only crowd :frus: . very very annoying. well at least missus jansen won't yell at me no more, about the shelves in the closet containing nothing but empty action fleet boxes, cause if this is the new direction of the packaging, there won't be any new boxes joining the metric ton already in place.

the gunship is a stunning vehicle when observed from a far. it really does capture the look feel and excitement of the vehicle from the movie. however, the thrill of this vehicle quickly diminishes to frustration once a closer look is obtained. The details are no where near what we've come to enjoy, and expect from action fleet over the years. Yes the cargo (?) doors do pivot/swing into the rear open position, as well as secure close around the back troop platform. The method by which these doors operate is with a cheap (and i do mean cheap and flimsy) thin plastic operational bar attached to even flimsier plastic swivel connecting pieces. action fleet of yesteryear, even though they had far greater operational features were durable enough to remain relatively unscathed through masons formitive years. if he had this gunship at the tender age of two or three, the doors would be long gone by now. the troop staging area is large enough to accomodate a few action fleet clone troopers.........wait a minute, i forgot, there;s no such thing as an action fleet clone trooper min fig:mad: the cockpit canopy does indeed open, revealing two rediculously small sized seats (not as small as the at-te), which have no chance ov ever accomodating a clone trooper mini fig.....oh i forgot again, there is no such thing as a clone trooper action fleet mini-fig:mad: :frus: . Why they even bothered to make the canopy operable, i'll never know.

The rotating turrets that swing out at the front, and that are located in the wing assembly are of clear plastic, and as far as i'm concerned, as they are non-operable, and are of such small size as to never accomodate a clone trooper.....(not going down that road again), they distract from the overall appearance when looking at the ship close up. If they had made them of a colored opaque plastic (like grey), i would have accepted them better. the clear plastic, non-functioning appearance of these appendages, bother me quite a bit.

The rotating guns in the front, and the single gun, angled at a very awkard angle in the back are really bothersom. they are nothing more than a slender piece of tube plastic, the type usually reserved for something as an important as a car antennea for a scale die-cast automobile. it is easy to tell that after several sessions of play with this gunship, these slender guns will be deformed and warped, pointing in absurbed demeted directions. nice touch rhode island

the troop transport (actually the ship i was most looking foraward to) is a disgrace. the duck footed, permanently in place, always messing up the appearance, 360 degree swiveling landing gear is atrocious. da heck were they thinking? on either sides of the back engine fusalage section, there are fold down/flip out ramps. why? i dunno, i guess they figured this was the action portion of action fleet. they should have used that space to recess a differnet kind of landing gear contraption than the garbage we got. I am so frustrated with the landing gear on this ship, i can't even focus on the other elements. it really is a hunk o' junk.

jango's slave I is a complete re-hash of boba's ship. the jango color scheme is reely great. i like it better than boba's slave I. the rear boarding hatch opens on this just like the original (sans frozen han popsicle of course). this would have been a perfect action fleet (and why not, they had the superior mold from galoob's day), if they had only included a jango mini fig.

it's a good thang i hopped on the af band wagon with the initial go round in '95, cause if i was just buying my 1st one's today, i doubt i would hang around to buy anymore.

a shame, really a shame

AndyW
03-01-2003, 01:21 PM
Great review Jansen thanks! Am still looking forward to mine arriving sometime next week, and am already planning what to do with them once they arrive. Am thinking about 'amputating' those crappy looking landing gear off the Troop transport, do you reacon it would look better without them entirely?

As for the gunship, have plenty of enamel paint and stuff from my airfix modelling days, so I was thinking of applying paint to the little gunnery turrets on the frames, so it won't look like a big glass bubble, same goes for the guns on the wings. Reacon it'll improve it?

Would you say then that the quality isn't upto the standards of the AT-TE? Regardless of the figure issue, I thought that was a super little action fleet. I didn't buy the solar sailor as I was so appaulled by its rubbishness, if there is such a word, tell me it isn't as bad as that :(

sicqnus
03-01-2003, 02:25 PM
Looks liks it is the festival of Habro/Action Fleet here. :evil:

I agree with Good Shot, it is a shame not to see anymore figurines and playsets.
More serious, it was said to us that the new af would be more accurate and in fact, the difference is not really impressive. (BUT I NOTICED THE INCREASED PRICE TO $12 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). OK, no more figures (from two figures with the classics, to one figure with the Ep1 - and often the same Qui-Gon or Battle Dro´d - to zero figures with Ep2),
Look at the cheap paint job on the gunship (take a closer look on the Republic Emblem : incredible bad work...
That's right ! why making opening cockpits... whereas there is no figures to fit in ???
Another thing, the clear plastic turrets : I prefer that to non-translucent plastic because like Andy W I will improve my toy with my brushes and my little humbrol paint pots.
I will also remove the Acclamator cruiser duck palms (Howard the duck's personal ship).
This one is not so bad but if I was Hasbro I should made it even smaller to be a part of the micro-machines (aaarrgh!).

What's makes me feeling sad is that we know there are several talented people at Hasbro design, all these wrong decisions are from the commercial managers and not from the toy designers... (I hope).:zzz:

SWAFMAN
03-02-2003, 12:23 PM
I'm not even going to dignify these ships with full-blown reviews.

sicqnus made the comment about the republic emblem on the gunship, and that was first thing my youngest son commented on, when we opened it yesterday. He said something like, "geeze, how cheap can they be? Look at the crap paint, and this logo!"

For my part, I think the RG is a horrible tease of "what could have been". The design isn't bad, but the execution is disappointing. This is the worst AF I've seen as far as the uncaring placement of the exposed assembly screw hole "tunnels". No effrot was made to hide them within any design features that could minimize their appearance. The one placed at the bottom of one of where one of the side "doors" closes even leaves an exposed little cut-out arc at the bottom edge, with the door closed. This simply reeks of a cheap-a55, "what do you want for ten bucks, you whiner?" attitude from Hasbro with this product. Same with the use of the softer plastic on many parts. The stem-thingy sticking out the bottom rear is so cheap, there's NO WAY it would hold up to any real playing.

The lack of ANY INSTRUCTIONS/DESCRIPTIONS WHATSOEVER ABOUT THE (AND I USE THIS TERM VERY LOOSELY) "PLAY FEATURES" ON THE AF PACKAGING caused me to break-off one of the ramp doors on the troop transport, before I figured out how it was supposed to open. The hinge at the lower edge made me think it was supposed to open at the upper egde, so I pried it from that edge and popped the whole thing off. It snapped back in, but now has a lot of slop, and doesn't open as crisply or stay shut as tightly as the other side's ramp. The only I can say about these ramps is that I wish the same idea had been used on the Falcon to give it a ramp. Aside from that, I find this ship to be a total waste of dead dinosaurs.

As far as the JangoSlave goes.... well, I guess the paint could have sucked worse, maybe.

I agree with the sentiments expressed by others on this forum. This is like the last season of the X-Files.
HASBRO, YOU HAVE PROVED THAT YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT AF ENOUGH TO PRODUCE VEHICLES THAT DO THE LINE JUSTICE, SO P L E A S E JUST PUT AN END TO THE LINE, INSTEAD OF CHEAPENING ITS REPUTATION WITH THESE UN-INSPIRED, PHONED-IN, THIRD-RATE, STRIKE-FORCE-DOG-CRAP IMPOSTERS.

You Suck, Hasbro. Seriously. Like a Turbo-Charged Hoover Deluxe. You Suck.

Jangu Fett
03-02-2003, 04:07 PM
THIRD-RATE? Wow, that being polite. IMO, Hasblows AF DOES NOT rate.

matthewilw
03-02-2003, 06:44 PM
well, if you guys hate your gunships that much......you can always give them to me :D

I'l be more than happy to pay for shipping :crazed:

bobafrett
03-02-2003, 10:28 PM
I don't even take them out of the package, other than a rare few. The boxes of old, stack rather nicely, but I'm not sure if the plastic covers of the new AF vehicles will do the same. Plus as has been pointed out, why make a vehicle if you have no one to operate it? I suppose next, they'll make the mini vehicle sets like the "Dune Sea ambush" set for example, with no figures. It will just be a tini landspeeder, or Bantha.

Jangu Fett
03-02-2003, 10:32 PM
I'm speaking in general, I've not been able to find the Gunship. I will still buy one just to get one for the AF. Seeing as Hasblows AF looks to be going down the toilet. And I don't think Hasbeen will make another Gunship, AT-TE and Solar Sailer to fit AF mini-figs. Any original AF ships from Hasblow (all AOTC ships) are CHEAP POS. Even the Rehashed ships are only immitations, of the TRUE GALOOB ACTION FLEET.

AndyW
03-03-2003, 05:19 AM
Getting a lot of negative feeling so far :( I remain foolishy optomistic though!

One thing, the little gun gunnery turrets, do they go all the way into the cockpit and do the bay doors then close properly, as in do they fit flush with the hull?

good shot jansen
03-03-2003, 07:50 AM
the gun turrets do indeed go all the way into the fusalage of the ship, and the doors do close properly, flush with the hull.

as i said in my review, the af ship does indeed capture the feel and look of the movie vehicle when viewed from a distance, it's only when you get up close, and start to view the ship for it's play features, and fine detailing when the disapointment starts to take effect.

we all may be a bit hard on this ship, it was eagerly anticipated to be a true af in all the classic areas of the line. to find that it doesn't add up in all the important departments is truely what hurts. keeping the cockpit seats small for scale reasons is absurd. i don't recall a single negative remark regarding the size of the seating for the af falcon. the important thing was to include a figure, and give him room to sit in the vehicle. in fact almost all the action fleet vehicles of past were way way way out of scale when it came to seating a figure. yet we loved the toys because that's what they were, toys, not ornaments. hasbro just doesn't seem to get it with regards to what makes something like the action fleet line a toy. in light of this, Funny line of business for them to be in don'cha' think?

Bent Wookie
03-03-2003, 07:43 PM
Well, aside from all the bad feelings being expressed about the new AF direction, I still REALLY like the new paint jobs "Hasblow" is giving us. I'm not even all that sorry to see the mini figs go. They were imo cheaply painted little stick-men that you could play with. That's fine for some, and yeah, they're kind of fun to play around with, but I could really care less. I like the idea of having tiny representations of the movie vehicles to place on a desk or shelf or what have you. They take up much less room than the regular sized vehicles and sometimes even look better. They're mostly for display for me anyway.

Although I'm not crazy about the new cheap construction methods Hasbro is using. That needs to go. :(

I'm undecided on the new packaging as I haven't seen it close up yet, but hearing that the ships are practically unremovable without destroying the package doesn't excite me. That's why I like boxes dag nabbit! You can remove and then replace the toy (or whatever).

Still looking forward to finding these and those sweet new Unleashed!

haggie
03-04-2003, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by Bent Wookie
I'm not even all that sorry to see the mini figs go. They were imo cheaply painted little stick-men that you could play with. That's fine for some, and yeah, they're kind of fun to play around with, but I could really care less. I like the idea of having tiny representations of the movie vehicles to place on a desk or shelf or what have you. They take up much less room than the regular sized vehicles and sometimes even look better. They're mostly for display for me anyway.

My setiments exactly. The figs were often way out of proportion too. Welcome to the VAST MINORITY, Bent Wookie!

I got my wave 4 case today. I'm going to be the voice of reason. I am so happy to have a Republic Gunship and Jango Slave I in AF size! The Republic Assault ship is a bit dinky, but so it goes. I wish they would have made it in Collector Fleet size so it would fit in with my Star Destroyer and Super Star Destroyer. Could the new AF be better? Of course they could! Are they horrible? NO WAY! I only aspire to stick them on the shelf with other AFs so they aren't even close to a disappointment to me. Sure, it'd be great to see some pilots and troops in the Gunship (actually, I'd like it better if they came with figures molded into positions instead of the stiff looking mini-figs) but what I really want are the ships. I got some new ships and I am more than happy.

AndyW
03-04-2003, 09:54 AM
Got mine not half an hour ago, wahey!

Firstly, the packaging is shockingly crap, really really really really really really poor compared with the old ones, this is my first huge complaint with hasbro so far, I can't believe this packaging was produced, really can't.

Onto the ships, Slave One, kinda cool, like it, don't have an original one so I'm happy with this one.

Troop ship isn't as small as I thought, and I like it, a lot, but that is more to do with the design than anything else, I just love it when its on screen :D
I however echo jansens complaint at the landing gear, its crap, really really crap, front one is usual action fleet, hides in the hull, but the rear ones are rubbish, so I've already removed them :)

Next the gunship, slightly iffy paint aside, its a great little ship, very movie accurate and if it was finished as when as the AT-TE it would win the best of the af so far imho. But its not perfect, mine is very flimsy, I can't see this standing upto kids, the gun turrets and the rear gun would last about 5mins with a kid I reacon.

I'm pretty pleased, myself, I love these ships, so unless they were more 'solar sailor' **** ups, I'm happy all round :D

Jangu Fett
03-04-2003, 08:05 PM
Is it just me, or did you forget that the AF are, get ready for a shock---------------------

TOYS.:sur:

Toys are items to be, how about this, PLAYED WITH!!!!!!

What Hasbro has done to this once AWESOME toys line, was destroy it. There no longer toys for KIDS, young or old to play with anymore. What kid will buy a AF gunship with no figures to fly it. And play with it?:confused: Hasbro has turned the AF into CHEAP Franklin mint pieces.

I'm sorry, but, neither my son or I want display pieces, we want TOYS. Which IS what the AF is supposed to be. With mini-figures. If we want displays we would get those FINE MODEL kits.

AndyW
03-04-2003, 09:31 PM
I respect your opinion, but to say that hasbro has 'destroyed' the line is a tad over the top don't you? I'm sure this arguement has been done to death, but I'd rather see these action fleet than none at all, and I'm gratefull for hasbro for producing them.

Actually, gratefull to hasbro, not too sure about that actually :D , but either way, I don't subscribe to the mini figs debate, as well you might have noticed, I had some original action fleet when I was younger and the figs were long lost in the depths of toy boxes, I don't think kids are any different today either.

But do I think hasbro should do mini figs, yes, I do, I don't want them personally, but I think they would solve 90% of the problems people have with this line and pleasing a hell of a lot of people in the process. IMHO of course.

Jangu Fett
03-04-2003, 09:57 PM
Ok, saying that Hasbro destroyed the AF might have been, a bit, to strong. I don't think I missed the mark by that much, however. But, even you have to agree, to a point, that all of Hasbros AOTC AF are nowhere near Galoobs standards. IMO the "NEW" paint jobs are a joke. And they got rid of the fidures for that and details? Did you see the AT-AT? It looks like they painted it with a straw. I wont even start on all the things that are wrong with the Solar Sailer. The AT-TE is to small, even by AF terms. I wouldn't mind, so much if the AF were still able to fit figures, and didn't include them. I don't think Hasbro is taking the AF seriously.

SWAFMAN
03-04-2003, 10:50 PM
AndyW, I don't think this forum has beaten to death the topic of whether the AF line is better served by Hasbro continuing on with their status quo vs. them killing-off the line altogether.

I think it's a worthy subject for discussion, and this forum's members excel in giving a respectful hearing to everyone's POV.

All my super-sized, intentionally poo-brown-colored, bold font ranting aside, I have all three ships on my main display shelf, about a yard from my head right now. I'm a devoted AF collector, and no matter what drecch Hasbro defecates into a box with an AF label, I still feel obliged to buy two of each.

But I'm only doing it because I want to keep my collection complete, not because of any great affection for the recent releases (AT-TE aside).

I'm with Jangu and GSJ on the issue of the primacy of PLAYABILITY in the ACTION fleet. In their current form, these ships are not Action Fleet. They're "Low-Price-Point Display Fleet."

And really that's fine with me. If that's the direction Hasbro opts to go, then more power to them. Scale them down to die-cast size, or scale them up to barbie volkswagen beetle size for all I care. But if they're going to neuter the ships of their Action (read as "PLAY") features, then all I ask is they change the name of the product line so I don't feel obligated to keep buying them in order keep the status of my collection current.

I don't think my opinion about this is the only correct view on the subject. It's just my own side of the story. I'd like to hear what others think about the AF line under Hasbro's stewardship.

haggie
03-04-2003, 11:31 PM
I think there is no doubt that Galoob did a better job with the line. The ships were more sturdy, if nothing else. I like having opening doors and such but I thought some of the play features were goofy (missles that came with the Falcon and Bomber for instance). I'm glad to see those go. They took away from authenticity. I love Star Wars ships designs and I just want small representations of them. After two years of thinking the line was dead, I am so happy to see new products coming out. Especially since they've decided to make new ships, not just rehash. The only thing I would change is to make all the AF toys be in a common scale.

AndyW
03-05-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by SWAFMAN
AndyW, I don't think this forum has beaten to death the topic of whether the AF line is better served by Hasbro continuing on with their status quo vs. them killing-off the line altogether.

Sorry, just presumed it had already been discussed previously before my time, my mistake.

I would like to discuss this futher, but I need some sleep :D Agree swafman, about how this forum exel's at this sort of discussion, of all the forums this seems to be the 'leading' authority for action fleet stuff, with the possible exception of the rebel scum ones I occasionally check out, all the other forums are like ghost towns!

Anyway, laters guys :)

cabour
03-05-2003, 04:00 AM
I am totally agree with AndyW, in an upper post.

I think that the subject of this line are the ships or vehicules themselves, not the figures.

And as a modeler, I am more concerned with accuracy, than "toyability", i.e. mini-figures, oversized hatch/cokpit and missiles. I saw these figures as a bonus.
The AT-TE is very well done to my taste. The proportion of the vehicule are well copied. Side note : when I bought it, I also get some mechwarrior figures (same type of products as the hero-clix), and I was really please to see that they were the same scale (one of the tiny soldiers could be put in the cockpit of the AT-TE).

Anyway, AndyW is right when saying that the AF line will sell better with mini-figures. The target of toys are children, and figures appeal them so they are the last thing that put the balance in the "buy it"side than the "not buy it" side.
But , even without figures, once at home, I can confirm that children like to play with these toys (my first son was on my knees before I started to open the open, and did not leave them until I let him play with it !)

britcit3
03-06-2003, 10:56 AM
Just got my wave 4 today and I have to say.......I like 'em.

As an AF non-opener, they look great stack up with all my other AF's (althought I do prefer the earlier SAGA packaging).

Well, that's my thripennybit's worth.

Cheers

BC3

matthewilw
03-21-2003, 02:41 PM
Well, I'm happy to say that I FINALLY found a gunship at retail, and I think it was well worth the $. The front turrets really are sensitive and I can't even move one of them without worrying about it breaking off...and I won't even touch the one on the back. I'll just have to keep this one on it's stand so it doesn't get damaged. But I still wish the windows were painted like in the prototype photos. But all-in-all..........I love the gunship and plan to get a few more (possibly for a total of 6). But I'll wait until some other people get the chance to buy at least one.

JediTricks
04-25-2003, 01:30 AM
SirSteve got me all 3 of the wave 3 AF (Acclamator, Rep Gunship, Slave 1) and I just received them. I know, WAAAY behind the times here, sorry. :D

Packaging is bland, unappealing, and disdainful. I don't think that big empty nothing under the toy is going to attract anybody. While I will throw away the packaging at some point, this stuff IS supposed to enhance the toy rather than dull it down.

Slave I is an adequate representation of the movie vehicle, but the paint seems a bit soft up close. I dunno, it's good but at the same time it's not remarkably great. I wish they had done something new with it, it feels more like an old throwback rehash than the original AF Slave I (probably because that one has some FIGURES to interact with it!!!). I neither love this nor hate it, it exists but doesn't hold a special place like Boba's does.

The Acclamator Republic Assault Ship is not really inaccurate or ugly or foul in any specific way, but it comes off as very very bland. VERY. Those little fold-out ramps on the bottom have NO charm for me, they don't seem like hundreds of troops are marching up it, they seem like they're detail-free plastic rectangles dangling there for all to ignore. The general sculpt and paint of this ship seem to go hand in hand from here on, both under-designed and under-executed -- why Hasbro chose to give the center line a paint wash and the rest of the ship just these matte-gray geometric shapes is totally beyond me, this thing should have WAY more surface detail, as it is now it comes off soft even for a production Micro Machine. If there had been an interior with thousands of troops sculpted in place, I would have had some fondness for this vehicle, but as it is this is like the AF T-16 & Imperial Landing Craft & Rebel Blockade Runner - they exist without much love and have little to say but would rather have than not... I guess.

Oh, and it's duck feet suck, Hasbro should have made these things removable. Just adds to the feeling that this is a big hollow nothing.

The Republic Gunship is the best of the bunch for me. The paint job, while not fantastic, does look nice - that and the sculpt really sell this sucker as what it's supposed to be. The clear beam turrets in the wings and on the stalks up front are disappointing, but the ones in the front sell it better than those tiny little things on the action figure version... slightly. This toy feels more like it's based on the Hasbro toy than the actual move vehicle though, maybe it's the extensions on the forward blasters or the forward-swing cockpit or something, I can't exactly put my finger on what or why though. The thin cheez-whiz plastics used for the guns and door braces are awful, but this is partially the fault of new safety laws - so it's now either accurate or strong, never both. Phooey! Why there are missiles sticking out of the upper missile launchers is one for the ages. The aft of the main compartment is as dull as I feared, they should have hung more junk inside the cabin to help offset that. Speaking of junk, there's the inside of the cockpit - what's the point of an opening cockpit revealing this poorly-sculpted mess? Ultimately, this is one of the most entertaining AF since the fall of the line, but comes up short on the true Action Fleet meter. It's fun, but already the cheez plastic is starting to warp so I couldn't highly recommend this to toy lovers.

JediTricks
04-26-2003, 11:23 PM
Oh, one thing I forgot to mention was that the construction of the Rep Gunship is very odd - the wings and missile-launchers come off as 1 section from the rest of the body, they're held on by a pair of central pegs made of that same cheese plastic - the pegs work, but they don't lock it in place so it's not hard to remove this element of the vehicle.