PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Shuttle guns are upside down!

stad
02-26-2003, 06:22 PM
Okay, my friend just received both of his Imperial Shuttles, and the guns are upside down! Not just a single mistake, as they show them on the box upside down as well. Looking at the vintage box, they are the other way, mounted so that they can shoot downward while the shuttle is in flight. I even popped in the DVD of Return to check, and they are correct on the vintage toy, but changed around on the new release. Has anyone else noticed and tried to fix this, and what were the results? I don't want my friend to break his if somebody else has already done this.

Beast
02-26-2003, 06:29 PM
Yep, you arn't the first to notice this. But it's an easy fix. A couple people have posted on the forums exactly how easy it is. It just takes a couple minutes and some patience. I believe GH even had detailed instructions how to fix it. I'll quote their fix instructions, since I can't link to the article with the pictures. :)

"On Wednesday, my Imperial Shuttle arrived from the FAO Schwarz in the Mall of America (Bloomington, MN). I quickly opened it up, and as I assembled its pieces, I noticed a discrepancy between the toy and the instruction sheet. On the instruction sheet, the cannon part of the gun turrets on the base of each wing were close to the body of the shuttle when aimed forward, but this was not the case on the toy.

I immediately looked up Lambda class shuttle in my copy of Stephen Sansweets's Star Wars Encyclopedia, and found that the guns were indeed on BACKWARDS ON THE TOY! After a brief moment of disappointment, I decided to try to fix the problem.

I figured out how to get the guns off and put them on correctly. I fixed the left turret, and decided to document my repairs to the right turret with a digital camera, so that others could also fix their own shuttles, without having to fear breaking the guns. That documentation is below.

I started by taking a kitchen butter knife and wedging it between the turret and the wing. I then began to GENTLY pry off the turret. It only moved a little, but a small gap was created between the gun and the wing. I moved the knife to a different spot, and GENTLY pried there.I repeated this again and again, and slowly made progress toward getting the gun off.

Soon, the gap was large enough so that I could see how the turret pieces, on either side of the wing, were attached. Each turret piece had a plastic tube extending toward the other half. One tube was slightly smaller than - and squeezed tightly inside of - the other one. I began prying the turret half with the smaller tube away from the end of the larger tube. This left some marks on the end of the tube, but that didn't bother me. The tubes are completely concealed when the turrets are on the shuttle Soon, the two pieces were far enough apart where I could gently pull the two gun halves apart with a wobbling motion. Voila! It's off!

Now that the cannons are off, it is simply a matter of putting them back together the correct way, and pushing them together into place. The only thing to watch out for here is two make sure that two halves are lined up right, so that the two cannons on any one wing point the same way. I suspect (though never tested) that it will be difficult to adjust this once the guns are in place. Anyway, once both turrets have been put back together correctly, the shuttle is complete and correct - the way it should be!"
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Hellboy
02-26-2003, 06:30 PM
Yeah I've heard thats the case with all of them. I plan on switching mine around but for whatever reason my shuttles haven't arrived yet. :mad:

I think I remember someone saying on Rebelscum.com that they carefully pryed the wings apart and switched them around no problem.

Good luck and be careful. ;)

stad
02-27-2003, 04:55 PM
Thanks guys!