PDA

View Full Version : Republic #50: Battle For Kamino & Mace Windu Comic

Banthaholic
02-26-2003, 06:11 PM
Just got back from the comic book store with this fine ge,
64 pages long, at a $5.99 cover price. It contains three stories in it, one of which introduces the ARC troopers, which are AWESOME!!!
I won't give away any more info, but would like to discuss it after you all get a chance to read it.

I also picked up SW Jedi: Mace Windu but haven't read it yet, but will shortly!

Banthaholic
02-26-2003, 08:53 PM
The Jedi: Mace Windu is an awesome read! Get to learn more about the Weequay knight from geonosis, as well as an intreduction to the possible sith witch.

El Chuxter
02-27-2003, 02:00 PM
Yup, she's the "Sith Witch." Assuming the ARC-Clonetrooper is the rumored "Clone Commando," it looks like the Clone Wars line should be awesome.

Great stories in both books, and I'm starting to warm up to that comic series usurper Quinlan Vos. I might have to go back and get the issues I missed. And I was surprised (happily so) when the Calamari leader didn't say something corny and overly coincidental like, "Tell my son Ackbar I love him!"

And it's really, really nice to see that Dark Horse, Hanna-Barbera, Del Rey, Scholastic, LucasGames, and Hasbro seem so far to be making a very well-integrated Clone Wars timeline, with plenty of battles along the way. From the partial timeline in the back of Mace Windu, I'm already drooling over the "Defense of Naboo" storyline coming later this year.

Vortex
02-27-2003, 02:31 PM
The mace story line was sweet. And republic #50 was cool. That alpha trooper was cool.

I'm interested in learning more about what jango taught them. Jango gave them direct orders...so it just adds another strand to the web of deceit...jango's orders from dooku, or jango went renagade and had plans of his own prior to his death...

(insert cliff hanger music here)

Jerjerrod
02-27-2003, 11:45 PM
#50 was very good. It was very in-tune with AOTC. The ARC Clone was one of my favorites, a "Clone with an attitude!". I have a feeling he'll play a big part in the Clone Wars, and also reveal more interesting facts about Jango.

Now I gotta pick up the Mace issue, cuz everyone seems to like that one just as much.

Tycho
03-03-2003, 02:15 AM
Man was the Mace comic good! That one caught me and choked me up. I liked the Weequay Jedi!

It had a Sith Witch and a very moving story. I think it was better than Attack on Kamino.

Both comics were done by the same writer and artist (John Ostrander and Jan Duursema - Dark Horse's very best team!)

Attack on Kamino had that cool sea-survival part when Obi-Wan's starfighter went down (is that the end of R4?) and the sea creature attacked. But the coolest was the alpha-type Jango-clone, and him and Shaak-Ti, who actually was cool when I never was into her before.

Anyway, the Clone Wars are rocking now!

It was different seeing the Calamarians fighting for the bad-guys, too! But that's because the Quarren come from their planet and Senator Tiikes is a Separatist. No wonder Ackbar gets captured and enslaved to Tarkin! Nice continuity there (no Ackbar wasn't in the comic, but it could very well lead up to his introduction in there).

Anyway, what did you guys think?

El Chuxter
03-04-2003, 02:12 PM
I think I don't want to see Ackbar show up during the Clone Wars. :) I agree with the Mace comic being better than Republic 50, which was excellent but a little bit of a letdown. Mace Windu was easily the best comic of the week, beating out even the excellent GIJoe Frontline #4. (Mace vs a Sith Witch is way cooler than Snake Eyes vs Storm Shadow.)

I'm merging the two threads about these comics together, so as to avoid confusion.

jpak001
03-05-2003, 02:37 PM
Yes, that Mace one shot was awesome! Nice plot twist with the Wequay Jedi there! Great Jan Durresma artwork as well.

Tycho
03-07-2003, 02:01 AM
I'm going to create a new Kamino diorama one day to reflect the "Attack on Kamino."

I have no room now, but I'll be getting the extra figures for it:

Obi-Wan
Anakin
Shaak-Ti
Aayla Secura

Blue CloneTrooper (or the Clone Wars' new bounty hunter character)

Clone Troopers
Clone Captain
Clone Commander

Lama Su / Clone boy
Taun We

3 Luke Bacta extras

BattleDroids (yeah...more of them!)
Destroyer Droids
SuperBattleDroids
Mon Calamari Soldiers

and I'll set up like a landing pad fight and let it rock! Model railroad "fake water" would look really cool doing Kamino!

OC47150
03-19-2003, 03:47 PM
Was #50 hard to find? I went to two comic shops this past weekend and neither had #50. I'm starting to check secondary sources now.

El Chuxter
03-19-2003, 04:38 PM
I didn't have any trouble finding it, but I went the day it hit shelves. (The comic shop I frequent is very small and only orders a few copies of everything, so I try to get there early when stuff I like is coming out.) I'd say #50 should start showing up at Waldenbooks soon if it hasn't already. . . .

OC47150
03-20-2003, 07:31 AM
On the way home from work, I stopped at a comic shop I only go to when issues fly off the shelves at other places, and found #50. It's great! Great story, great illustration!

It was odd that two of the bigger, well-known shops in my area were sold out on Saturday when I stopped by. (I normally don't hit the comic shops until Saturday. That's when I have the time to leisurely browse.)

I can't wait for the ARC trooper figures!

Vortex
03-20-2003, 08:09 AM
I picked off #51 yesterday but missed the new Tales...just have to pick that up next week when my local comic shop reorders...I'm a subscriber, a little miffed, but hey it happens...

Anyway, #51. I have to admit Durge reminds me of a Star Wars Terminator. One glowing red eye, gets impaled with a saber and it doesn't phase him.

The story line so far is good and the suprise showing up of the "sith witch" at the end is a good one. Its a good tie back to the last mace comic.

OC47150
03-20-2003, 08:22 AM
I picked up #51 while I was at the comic shop, too. You're right about Durge, Tjovonovich. He reminded me of the Terminator, too.

You need to pick up Tales #15. It's enjoyable.

Vortex
03-20-2003, 08:33 AM
Yea I wanted to read the lastest tales, but I know it will be reordered and be there next wed when I go in. No rush.

I'm stilling waiting for the trade paperbacks of the old marvel 80's comics. I'm still waiting on #4 and #5.

Durge could be cool, but if they keep making him super tough, it will get old fast. It will be kids playing.

"Hey I shot you"

"No you didn't, it bounced off"

"No I hit you"

"No it missed wide. I was expecting it and I dodged it"

"Bang, ok this time I hit you"

"Nope, missed again"

Durge could get old real fast.

OC47150
03-20-2003, 08:43 AM
"It's been a 1,000 years since I killed a Jedi."

Vortex
03-20-2003, 09:13 AM
And he's still that sharp at hunting...

jedibear
04-11-2003, 12:22 AM
On #51 & #52.....

Enjoyed the art and the contiuation of the clone wars but...

I don't like the "Durge" character at all. Tossing off one-liners and mowing people down without any real motivation other than looking gadget-y & tough. His dialouge has a too-modern-day-"regular" feel. I hope this boring, flying army knife meets his end soon and doesn't take up too much story time.

The new female "fallen jedi" is a little more intruiging...but I hope her back story happens soon and that it doesn't ring too much of Aurra Sing.

About the only thing I liked about this two-parter was Anakin's characterization....he is still continuing down the shaky path away from the jedi. Trying to befriend the Clone Trooper and using his mastery of the force in a more show-off kind of way with the SBDs was cool. It's interesting how he still keeps getting seperated from his master as these battles wear on....

Looking back to #50 & the "Mace" comic....I liked them both alot. The fantastic art by Jan and soem solid storytelling.

I hope the ongoing series stays strong...but as the current issue shows...there's bound to be ups n' downs....