PDA

View Full Version : ROTJ LUKE- Revealed

Master ToNone
02-27-2003, 08:29 AM
This is from the official site.

http://starwars.com/collecting/news/2003/02/news20030227.html

What do you think?
Hopefully, they'll change his lighsaber to GREEN.

rherk
02-27-2003, 08:40 AM
As expected it is terrible. However, Hasbro looks like they will make up for it next year with what could be the greatest Star Wars figure ever. Hasbro appears as if they heard the fans a little too late with the one that will be out this year but in fact did hear us. They seem to finally understand how important this figure is to many of us. I am so thankful they are making the (good) one in the Jabbas Palace gear.

Again, I am incredible dissappointed with the throne room figure. If they didn't announce the Jabbas palace one I may have called it quits.

Congrats Hasbro. You may have kept me in the game.

kdp100
02-27-2003, 08:43 AM
"Cool lightsaber slashing action..." :rolleyes:

Despite the "action feature", I might just possibly get this figure for the piece of throne-room that comes with it, if I can find it cheap enough anywhere.

On the flipside, "the wave of figures including Luke, Darth Vader and the Snowtrooper will be the last wave for 2003 with action features."
That's good news for most of us, but I just hope the Snowtrooper's feature is restricted to his cannon accessory....

The 2004 Jabba's Palace version looks promising, though.

187-Maul
02-27-2003, 08:46 AM
I'm kinda disappointed about the Trone Room Luke, but maybe he'll be better when we see more pics of him
BTW, doesn't he look like a rabbit with that abnormal huge buck teeth!?!
but it's really cool that hasbro will release a second Luke, the sketch looks really cool and 10 points of articulation aren't bad, and the cloak looks cool too
but the release date for him is spring 2004, now I'm really thinking that hasbro saw that everybody wanted a cool jedi Luke but their "action version" wasn't that good so they quickly had to make the plans for a new one (and made this sketch)

edit: I didn't even that bit about the action features, but it only says "last figs with af's for 2003", but hopefully they mean FOREVER
BTW what did you mean that they should change the ligthsaber color to green, it actually is green in the pic:confused:

jblodgett
02-27-2003, 09:08 AM
The Throne Room Luke is ok. I'm getting pretty tired of the whole facial expression thing. It looks more cartoon than human. I don't remember Luke ever attacking Vader with his mouth open and his teeth clenched like that. Maybe they made him like that so he can be attacked by the Emperor's force lightning.

Other than that- it looks like his elbows are articulated, and possibly his knees as well. If elbows are articulated, maybe his wrists will be as well. The body sculpt looks good. The open flap looks good. The belt buckle looks good. The physical stature looks good.

The spring 2004 Luke Jedi looks like a quick fix for those who were hoping for a better Luke Jedi this year. That looks like a drawing somebody put together the day before they were supposed to put Luke Jedi's picture up on the internet. I like the robe, and like the articulation. I hope they flip flop the hands so that his right hand can hold a lightsaber or the blaster he steals from the guard. I don't understand why Hasbro keeps making all these left handed figures. Luke never held anything with his left hand. The ONLY characters to use their left hands for ANYTHING have been Darth Maul and Anakin from the duel with Dooku. If you want to make figures hold things with their left hands, at least make them so they can hold things with their right as well.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
02-27-2003, 09:12 AM
The 2004 Luke looks awsome, but what's with Throne Room Luke's face?! :dead:

mtriv73
02-27-2003, 09:37 AM
Great, another Luke with a stupid look on his face. Speaking of which what in the world possesses hasbro to make the buck-toothed x-wing pilot? They ruined what could have been the best figure to date (In my opinion). And now they're taking full advantage of a second chance to screw up a figure. I just hope the line survives long enough to get the version in 2004.

jad
02-27-2003, 10:07 AM
Well the 2003 Luke looks ok, I might get it. I'll just have to wait and see. But if the 2004 Luke is half as good as that sketch then I'll be really happy. Atleast Hasbro put that sketch up with a little paragraph about their plans. I almost do wonder if they made the plans either like a couple weeks ago or they just reserved showing Luke because they were waiting for the sketches of the second figure. *shrug* who knows.

Emperors_Hand_2211
02-27-2003, 10:21 AM
Oh dear god that is awful.
The 2004 Luke does look really good, but.....2004!!!!. That's like a year away.

You have to laugh though. Hasbro is obviouslly bracing themselves for the collector backlash. They must have realised a little late they were really going to shoot themsleves in the foot with that thing and hence the quickly drawn up plans for the 2004 collector version, and presumably the delay in releasing that picture until said plans were completed.
Also the whole thing about the action features reads like this.
"Yeah we know you hate them so we're removing them. But the kids like them so there. They do. No really they do. Ok they don't but we had to excuse ourselves somehow."

That said it does sound as though Hasbro have listened and are going to give us what we want, good figures of good, not necessarily main, characters.
Congrats Jargo. looks like Randy has finally been taken out of the design loop, at least in collection 2 terms. He's probably designing the "cool mission specific gear" for the clone wars line as we speak.
Roll on 2004 that's what I say.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-27-2003, 10:23 AM
Meh, eh, looks good to me. I'll pick it up. :D

Greyfolk
02-27-2003, 11:24 AM
I'll pass on that one, I'll wait for the Jabba throne room.
*sigh*

Sidiously Darth
02-27-2003, 11:46 AM
I'll probably get both of them. My only problem with the Final Duel one is the base piece he comes with. It's completely wrong. He sliced through a straight rail on the walkway. It was not curved.:rolleyes:

Lman316
02-27-2003, 11:49 AM
The 2003 version, of course, looks like crap. I knew that it would. I knew that it would have some stupid action feature. And I wonder why it's impossible for Hasbro to get a likeness of Hamil from ROTJ or a likeness of Hayden from AOTC. Does anyone know?

The 2004 version looks okay (on paper, but I don't like the look of the open right hand). Although I know that it might upest a few that were looking for a decent Throne Room Luke (because the 2003 Luke just isn't going to cut it for most people, I believe). They could definitely make a very big save if they made the tunic/vest soft goods, elastic around the middle. Then it could be pulled off to reveal the folded down flap for Throne Room displays. And if they did that, they could also pop in the interchangeable hands (like a lot of us have mentioned) and that would be sufficient. Maybe we should all write to Hasbro and let them know what we want with this one... if they haven't already started the "toy-making" process.
But I'm holding my full opinion about it until I see a hardcopy, prototype or the finished thing.
Here's hoping it's good.

End...

LTBasker
02-27-2003, 12:10 PM
The idea of the two Jedi Lukes is cool, and better than a 50/50 tradeoff with a main character. However we still need a good unvested neutral Luke because he didn't just fight like that.. Actually an unvested neutral Luke would be good for a speederbike one with removeable helmet and poncho.

The loss of articulation the Throne Room Luke is highly dissapointing though, that's the pose we got with the Cinema Scene pretty much, just this time we don't get to control the arms.

As for the other Jedi Luke, well why is only his right arm articulated, his left could use articulation as well instead of just dangling there.

Overall it's alot more pleasing than Throne Room Vader, and Throne Room Luke could be worse, he could have his mouth open! :eek: (he did have a slight angry facial expression when hacking at Vader) With the news that they'll be the last Action Featured 2003 figures is great, I just hope they don't pick it up again after that, though I wouldn't put it past them to pick up the "cool" ( :rolleyes: ) features for Episode III figures.

fourtwo
02-27-2003, 12:27 PM
looks ok to me....whiners...
:crazed:
i guess everyone forms there opinion from a small, wome what good quality picture on a website.

mark2d2
02-27-2003, 12:43 PM
I don't think it's THAT bad either. Seriously.

And as far as Luke's facial expression not being accurate --- watch the movie again, folks . . . Mr. Hamill's facial expressions were always VERY over the top. Especially in any of his scenes with Daddy . . .

sith_killer_99
02-27-2003, 12:45 PM
While kids love the cool action features

Yeah right!:rolleyes:

the wave of figures including Luke, Darth Vader and the Snowtrooper will be the last wave for 2003 with action features.

Only for 2003? And what about the Snowtrooper, hopefully it will only be the cannon with "action features".

In the fall of 2003, a new kids' version of Luke will also be available.....................This fall, Collection 1 figures will feature Clone Wars characters with an emphasis on cool new gear.

So Hasbro is targeting "Clone Wars" figures at kids, like "action features?" I don't think so, it just goes to show that this whole "kids' version" stuff is a bunch of garbage. Hasbro's defense against putting out lousy figures.

It's OK Hasbro, there is no need to defend yourselves on my account. I didn't buy any lousy figures, I just passed them up.:p

El Chuxter
02-27-2003, 12:59 PM
sith_killer_99, you beat me to mocking the "While kids love action features" garbage. Sounds like an after-the-fact justification for the crud. Hopefully the only gimmick we'll see in the future is articulation! Or pack-in bears! Yeah, bears are always cool. :Pirate:

I don't think this Luke is too bad. Not perfect, but a great deal better than the Jedi Lukes we've had so far. Unless y'all want to use Roid Rage Luke With High Heels, don't complain. j/k :D

Vortex
02-27-2003, 01:07 PM
I wonder what they mean by cool gear? More pack'ins? More of those accessory packs?

Luke...I still think we have enough of him, but hey 2 more ain't gonna break my bank.

And for the record. YIPPY NO MORE HOKEY PLAY VAULE SLASH OR KICK JUNK!!!

2-1B
02-27-2003, 01:18 PM
If the kids love action features so much, why are they cutting them from the product line? ;)

JangoFart
02-27-2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by mark2d2
I don't think it's THAT bad either. Seriously.

And as far as Luke's facial expression not being accurate --- watch the movie again, folks . . . Mr. Hamill's facial expressions were always VERY over the top. Especially in any of his scenes with Daddy . . .

That's very right, mark2d2. Our little Luke was plenty ticked at Vader during the scene which inspired this figure. And, the figure pretty much looks just like Luke did at that point.

I'm just thankful they didn't make the Bespin Luke look like Hamill did after Vader told him the truth. Good LORD what a mug!!

I like the new Luke and can't wait to get him and keep him all safe and cozy on his card :)

J

Jerjerrod
02-27-2003, 01:22 PM
Hey! That 2003 one kinda looks like the photoshop one I made. Whadyaknow!! I like it though, It's an action pose, but not too extreme. I like what they did to his shirt, and his head. Cool figure, a must-have.

The drawings with the cape looks cool too. Can't wait to see real pictures of it.

Jayspawn
02-27-2003, 01:47 PM
I'm very disapointed with the Thrown Room Luke. He's stuck in a horrible position and that head sculpt is horrendus. The Jabba's palace Luke looks great. I can't wait for that one. I'll get the Thrown Room Luke mainly for the base, but the figure is crap.

LTBasker
02-27-2003, 01:47 PM
Oh yeah, one thing I just noticed, the second Luke will be capable of a two-handed saber pose. Look at the caped picture how the hands can cross, with just a little working he should be able to hold his saber with both hands. :)

Paul-Kenobi
02-27-2003, 01:49 PM
:eek: WOW! both luke's look AWSOME! fianly a luke that looks allright!

evenflow
02-27-2003, 01:51 PM
I like next years, this years could be better. At least he will be the end of the damn action features.

Beast
02-27-2003, 01:56 PM
Luke: Throne Room looks pretty damn good to me. Regardless of the action feature. The button is probably small, similar to Bespin Luke. And his arms do seem to have a lot of articulation, cut joints at the elbow, as well as a bending joint. Looks like wrist articulation as well. The face isn't terrible, atleast it's movie accurate. Since he did look like that when he flipped and started chopping at daddy Vader with his lightsaber. If the head is the biggest problem, do a headswap. It's pretty easy, after all. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

jblodgett
02-27-2003, 01:57 PM
Now that I think about it... that Throne Room Luke is prime for a head swap....

Which Luke Jedi head looks the best, so I can get one and put it on that body??

Maybe this one?
http://www.figures.com/archives/images/08/1408.jpg

Beast
02-27-2003, 01:59 PM
You could swap it with the head coming on the Jabba's Palace Luke Jedi next year. That way you would have the best headsculpt possible. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bobafrett
02-27-2003, 02:05 PM
I don't know, it sounds as if most of you aren't to happy with the throne room Luke, I on the other hand, am among the small minority that does like this figure. I'll be picking up 2 providing I can find them at one of my local Wal-Marts, or such.

jedi-cpa
02-27-2003, 02:11 PM
As far as Lukes go (and you all wanted this particular Luke) this one is a winner. And the Jabba's throne room one looks awesome as well.

However, the last thing I personally want is another Luke, I think I counted 40 in the collection to date.

Tatooine Muscular, (and vintage)
Tatooine Floppy Hat
Blast Shield
Gunner Station
Droid PUrchase
StormTrooper disguise (and vintage)
X Wing Pilot (and Vintage)
2nd X-wing pilot
w/ Dessert Sport Skiff
Hoth (and vintage)
Hoth with tauntaun
with Wampa
Stormtrooper disguise cinema scene
Stormtroper disguise from that game
Jedi Master (and vintage)
with Jabbas skiff
Dagobah Wife Beater
Bespin Fatigues (and vintage)
Bespin fatigues part 2
Dark Jedi
Emporors guard disguise
Luke endor with bike
Luke endor with coin (and vintage)
Luke complete galaxy
Luke with his little t-16 model

That's 32.

OH!! The dueling one with the light up saber, the FX one
OH And final duel throne room cinema scene
That's 34.

OH! THe vintage 4 pack with the cards

Just feel like these two figs will saturate the Luke Market. I at least hope so. Repack some of those listed above. There's more, I know I am missing a few.

Plenty to choose from. Hasbro repack so I don't have to buy any more resculpts!

jedi-cpa
02-27-2003, 02:16 PM
<I'm very disapointed with the Thrown Room Luke. He's stuck in a horrible position and that head sculpt is horrendus. The Jabba's palace Luke looks great. I can't wait for that one. I'll get the Thrown Room Luke mainly for the base, but the figure is crap.>

I'd be disappointed in the "thrown"room Luke as well. You'd think he'd be all banged up. I mean I would be if I were in a room that was thrown. Get all tossed about and what not.

Now if he was a THRONE room Luke, then he is pretty dead on.

Word wealth, it's a book, clearly you never openned it.

Greyfolk
02-27-2003, 02:19 PM
Why is his saber yellow?

Beast
02-27-2003, 02:20 PM
Jedi-cpa, while it's true there are a lot of Luke figures, they haven't really done decent versions of his ROTJ outfit variations until now. The only decent Final Duel Luke Jedi, has been the one in the Cinema Scene. And there never has been a really good Jabba's Palace version. Bring on the Luke's!! :)

Originally posted by Greyfolk
Why is his saber yellow?
It's green, don't worry. Your moniter may not be adjusted properly. Not to mention the fact that there is a lot of light shining on the Luke figure for them to photograph it. So that's causing the blade to look more yellowish-green. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

187-Maul
02-27-2003, 02:33 PM
after some more "looking at the pics" the fig is more and more growing on me, I didn't notice the cut joint at the elbow before (thanx for pointing that out JJB) and if he has wrist articulatin it will be great as well
I still don't like the gimmick (since it'll be hard to put his arms down) but other than that he looks cool (although the teeth still are a bit too bright and shiny IMO) and the base looks cool too
and is it just me or is his "flap" a bit too white? not a big problem but it just struck my eyes

Beast
02-27-2003, 02:41 PM
No problem, I call them like I see them. And the articulation looks great on him. As for the button hindering you putting his arms down, it shouldn't. It appears to be similar in design to the Obi-Wan: Pilot. Which should mean a small button, likely hidden on his belt. Plus you can easily move the arms down manuelly, infact I've been doing that for a while. :)

As for his teeth, I don't know. Maybe the Rebel Allience has a good dental plan. Or Luke's a Crest kid. Either way, not a big deal. Especially if you do a head swap on one next year with the JP Luke: Jedi. I think the flap being so white, is just due to the brightness of the lights used for the photography. Just like it's washing out his Lightsaber some. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

187-Maul
02-27-2003, 02:46 PM
what I meant with the arms not going dwon easily is that you have to turn them down behind his body first so they stay down (since they flip back up a bit) and on the Obi-Wan I always have to bend the arms a bit (from the body away) so I can turn them behind his body so that they stay down, but it's no mayor problem (no reason for not buying him)

jpak001
02-27-2003, 02:51 PM
I Think it looks ok. Luke really did swing his saber like that at the end of ROTJ, and he did have that P.O'd expression too.

I'll by one to setup w/Vader, but I'm much more excited about the drawings for the Jabbas palace version!

Rogue II
02-27-2003, 03:45 PM
Luke is alright. I like the platform.

Now, the important part:

While kids love the cool action features, the wave of figures including Luke, Darth Vader and the Snowtrooper will be the last wave for 2003 with action features. This fall, Collection 1 figures will feature Clone Wars characters with an emphasis on cool new gear. Collection 2 will continue the Saga Collection offering movie-based figures with great authenticity, detail and articulation.

Ok, fine, Vader and Luke have Action features, but they are the last!!!! WE WIN!!!!

Mike Troxell
02-27-2003, 04:31 PM
Love this figure (just like everything else we've been shown recently--maybe I'm just easy to please) Glad the action features are going away, though. Didn't mind them but I won't miss them.

sith_killer_99
02-27-2003, 04:41 PM
I am not impressed with the elbow articulation, it looks like I could drive a semi through the joints in his elbows. What did they do, use the fan club band member arms?;)

I will probably pass on this gimmick.:(

I will wait and see, if I like it when I see it close-up I may buy one to keep in the package. As for a loose one, thankfully I still have an open Final Duel Cinema Scene.:D

Fulit
02-27-2003, 04:45 PM
Excited about both figures, especially the Jabba's Palace one, but does anyone else think the sketch of makes it look like the figure might be too short? He better not be too short.

Now all we need is a 4 1/4 " Jaba's Palace Luke Hologram. :)

Darth Trymybestus
02-27-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by jblodgett
I don't remember Luke ever attacking Vader with his mouth open and his teeth clenched like that.

Woah, you should watch Return of the Jedi, he has clenched teeth, an angry look on his face, he says "grrrr" each time he slashes, and his hair is messed up - the works! :D
He attacks daddy dearest exactly like that. :crazed: :D

The figure is awesome, I'm LOVING how next years Luke Skywalker is looking, hell it's so much better than POTF Luke Skywalker which was the best POTF2 figure released.
The throne room duel figure is very accurate for that scene, I wonder if the part of his top that's folded over can be folded back to normal, maybe it's soft goods?
His outfit does look very Leathery and shiney, maybe Hasbro have been watching Christina Aguilera a lot! :crazed: :D Hell that's not even a complaint, this figure is awesome, it's just as I expected to be honest.
Could it ever have lived up to the hype though really? :zzz:

I kinda expected it would have some diorama accessory and the part where he chops Vaders hand off seems logical.
I wonder if throne room Darth Vader will have a removeable hand like Luke Bespin Duel.
These 2 figures are both fantastic, they both have great sculpts and they go together so well, I'm looking forward to picking this up. :)

The Luke Skywalker looks like he can be posed with 2 hands holding the lightsaber at the front as if he's just ready to face off with Vader, kinda like Luke Skywalker Bespin Duel.

As for the action feature, it looks to me like it could be the same as Jango Fett Pilot quick draw?

Is this figure really as bad as people feared? It's exactly as I expected to be honest, it's damn good and I'm really looking forward to next years Jedi Luke too.

Hell, how movie accurate will next years figure be?! The pose is awesome and I like how the cloak looks.
One thing I do hope is that they put a magnet on the right hand so that he can hold is Lightsaber in his right hand.
Maybe he'll have a magnet in his right hand so that he can hold his Lightsaber and grab the blaster from Jabba's guard. :)

Anakin2121
02-27-2003, 05:06 PM
Are people colorblind or what? Every Basic 3 3/4" Jedi Luke we've had since, like, 1997 has had a yellow-bladed lightsaber! Weird. The very first Qui-Gon from TPM's wave one had a yellowish saber as well.

Glitch
02-27-2003, 05:31 PM
Whenever Hasbro includes a feature that they deem as "cool," there is good reason to be afraid.

CrossWizard
02-27-2003, 05:40 PM
I like it, it looks good enough aside from the leg pose and the hunched forward head(I hope it's just the angle in which the pic was taken). But aside from that, I'll buy him as long as it doesn't have floppy, loose elbows or arms like the Pilot Jango. Also I hope they just used the old POTF2 saber as a stand in, they should give him a new, resculpted plastic saber hilt.

As for the Jabba Luke blueprints, I like it as well, way more than the Saber Slashing Luke. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Old Fossil
02-27-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by jedi-cpa

Might want to check that book of yours, dude.:evil:

Banthaholic
02-27-2003, 06:40 PM
I love the new look, and it comes with an AWESOME stand. Yes it does have an action feature, but I think Vader's and Luke's might actually bring something to the scene.
The news about the end of the action figures is good news though. I'm glad they're going to be focusing their energy enxt year on sculpts and articulation. Kinda funny, it's what we often complain about.
On another related note, I received my McNuggets & fries today from some one named Randy,might this be the hopefully now infamous sacekd Randy?

plasticfetish
02-27-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Glitch
Whenever Hasbro includes a feature that they deem as "cool," there is good reason to be afraid.
That's pretty funny.

Oof ... "Fall of 2003" and "Spring of 2004" ... that's so far away, it seems way too early to say anything about these figures yet. Throne room Luke's prototype looks OK I suppose ... mark2d2 was right though ... Hamill had some crazy facial expressions in that movie. If they pull off a good version of the Luke "crazy face", I'll be amused.

I'm not sure where you folks are reading "action features are gone forever" In that Hasbro statement. It does say "last wave for 2003" ... but I suppose we can cross our fingers.

"Collection 1 figures will become Clone Wars figures with an emphasis on cool new gear."
Sounds good ... always interested in "cool new gear" ... since the old gear tends to get worn out.
"Collection 2 will become our Saga Collection ... movie-based figures with great authenticity, detail and articulation."
This sounds very good ... "movie-based figures" is a good thing, but now I'm wondering what the previous figures have been based on. All kidding aside, sounds like the sort of thing we've all been asking for. I'm happy to see that they've got a specific plan for the different collections also. I know they've always claimed that they have ... but it never really made sense.

:]

Kidhuman
02-27-2003, 07:16 PM
It looks good to me. Does anyone know what the other figure will look like? I hope it is Luke from the Sarlaac pit to battle Boba Fett.

Beast
02-27-2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by kidhuman
It looks good to me. Does anyone know what the other figure will look like? I hope it is Luke from the Sarlaac pit to battle Boba Fett.
Did you miss the pictures of the design sketches? It's a Jabba's Palace Luke: Jedi with his vest and cloak. Sounds like he'll also come with a lightsaber and one of Jabba's guards blasters. A really good high quality soft goods cloak would be nice also, but I don't think it will happen. :)

http://starwars.com/collecting/news/2003/02/img/luke_sculpt_bg.jpg

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-27-2003, 07:41 PM
Umm . . . the plans are right there.

The Throne Room one looks, eh, okay. It is a figure that can only be used for a five-second scene. Yawn:o But the other one looks great! Hasbro needs more articulation,, cause the features are crappy. And guess what! I'm 13 - THE FEATURES SUCK! "Cool new gear" will be very welcomed.

hango fett
02-27-2003, 08:34 PM
looks great to me! can't wait to get them both! now they need a palpy in the throne room shooting force lightning at luke. then i will be 100% happy!
h

Mike Troxell
02-27-2003, 09:44 PM
"Cool new gear" doesn't ring well with me. Hasbro has been known to have "cool new gear before." Anyone remember "Batman with Cool New Arctic Blast Backpack that Shoots Lasers and Missiles and Batman is Painted in Blue and White"? That whole line was devoted to "cool new gear"

Here's hoping the new gear is realistic.

Turbowars
02-27-2003, 09:48 PM
I don't know about you guys, but what Hasbro said about Col 2 being a movie based line and the end of gimmicks brought a huge smile to my face. I felt a shock of happiness, no really. I have been waiting to hear some good news from Hasbro for a long time. I do have one tiny problem as always, WHERE ARE THE FIGURES!?!?!?!?!?!?! I can't find crap! Not since before X-Mas. Hey The Throne Luke looks good and the 2004 (the wait is too long)Luke looks even better. Maybe, just maybe our tiny voices were heard.

jjreason
02-27-2003, 11:04 PM
Id agree with that, they do seem to be listening (or appeasing us with lies for now, to shut us up and keep us around :sur: ).

As far as Luke goes, it's pretty much what I expected. I do like the open flap on the tunic, am not surprised about the action feature, and am pleased with the little base. Now they should make an environment that the chunk can lock into (and be knocked out of by lightsaber throwing Vader) and we'll be on to something.

Luke gets the whomping 7 out of 10 from me so far, based on the pics alone. Hope is high for next year's version.

TheDarthVader
02-27-2003, 11:30 PM
Re: jayspawn Post #47

Quote:
Originally posted by jedi-cpa

Might want to check that book of yours, dude.

Good observation! I was about to tell that dude the same thing. Does he not know how to spell OPENED??? :)

TheDarthVader
02-27-2003, 11:32 PM
Oh...sorry about getting off topic. The new Luke is better than most of the recent ones...I like it!! The lightsaber does look a little yellow, but maybe it will be green in the package! (with hope)

Chiesa
02-28-2003, 12:20 AM
I do feel that the 2003 Luke looks pretty darn good to me. What I'm worried most is his arms. Does that mean his arms can only have 2 poses?? ie lifted up ready to slash and arms straightened pointing down. Kind of just reminded me of the Padme: Arena where poor Padme could only hold the blaster straight up.

Hopefully the gimmick doesn't cause the Jedi Luke to just be in that slashing pose forever due to some mechanism in the gimmick.

On the brighter note, glad that they are removing gimmicks probably cause it is not a movie year and kids won't be dying to get their hands on them. 2004 is a collector's year :D More scuplt, more articulation and accessories!! 2004 Luke does look very promising but I do feel that he looks alittle stumpy. And his right hand looks unlikely to hold anything.

Cheers...
:D:D:D:D

Emperors_Hand_2211
02-28-2003, 03:10 AM
They aren't actually removing the action features. These are the last collection one figures with action features, but they are also pretty much the last collection one figures. Clone Wars takes over from collection one pretty soon I think.
The action features aren't being dumped just transferred to the clone wars line.

mylow thehutt
02-28-2003, 08:07 AM
I'm glad they quit on the action features I was dreading we might get a cane slashing Dagaboh yoda. but what sux is we have to wait till 2004 to get our ultmate Luke.thought

amidalak
02-28-2003, 10:50 AM
Action features gone: good.

Throne Room Luke: if you like 3 3/4 statues that jerk around when you hit a button, good, not so good if you like action figures that you can play with and use in more than one scene.

2004 Luke articulation: if it's going to be ultimate, it better have ball-jointed shoulders (all the Jedi should have them) and articulated knees (it's hard to tell by the sketch if that's what's in store.)

2004 Luke being too stumpy: check out ROTJ, Luke/Mark Hamill is stumpy! :D

Chiesa
02-28-2003, 11:55 AM
Hamill may not be that tall, but I do not think he has a huge bodyframe that would make him stumpy. :D But the sketch really does make him look beefed up alittle. Or could it be due to the cloak??

Skywalker3319
02-28-2003, 02:18 PM
Hey, its not as bad as it could be. Like I said, Ive been waiting for a Death Star Jedi Luke for nearly 4 years, so Im happy with it. It could be A LOT worse, and I really do like it. Also, the 2004 one looks ***** awsome, but I really like this one too.

rherk
02-28-2003, 02:27 PM
Ah oh Skywalker3319, Jar jars gonna get you.

jblodgett
02-28-2003, 03:32 PM
Check that 2003 Luke Jedi picture closely-- look at the right arm. Is it just me, or is the gap in his elbow joint so big you can see through it? Its got "floppy arm Boba Fett" written all over it.

I predict the button on his back will make his arms go up and down, and with the elbows all floppy the lightsaber will slash down as the arms straighten.

It may have been addressed already, but does that railing look like it is "breakable" so that when Luke slashes down it will split in two??

And is his head pushed forward, like the new He-Man line? Or is it just the camera angle?

mista_carrot
02-28-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by jblodgett
Check that 2003 Luke Jedi picture closely-- look at the right arm. Is it just me, or is the gap in his elbow joint so big you can see through it? Its got "floppy arm Boba Fett" written all over it.

I think there's a gap because it's a bend and swivel joint, plus the fact that it is a prototype. There have been plenty of prototype figs with huge gaps at the joints when the final product has none.

And is his head pushed forward, like the new He-Man line? Or is it just the camera angle?

I'm hoping that the neck is "ball-jointed" like the Commtech Stormtrooper, otherwise it does look like it's pushed forward.

JediTricks
02-28-2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
I am not impressed with the elbow articulation, it looks like I could drive a semi through the joints in his elbows. What did they do, use the fan club band member arms?;) Looks more like Jango Final Battle's ugly messed-up legs. I hate those knees there on Jango, so hopefully the finished Luke here will avoid Jango's problem. You can totally see through that right elbow though, that's not cool even for a prototype.

Originally posted by Anakin2121
Are people colorblind or what? Every Basic 3 3/4" Jedi Luke we've had since, like, 1997 has had a yellow-bladed lightsaber! Weird. Not really so weird when you look carefully, I'm pretty sure the accessory in the pic is that same crappy lightsaber accessory. I really hope they make a new lightsaber for the finished version because I absolutely loathe that original accessory with its pathetic lack of detail.

This Throne Room Luke is ok I guess, another gimmick figure in a far-too-long line of gimmick figs. The leg pose is extreme again and seems to have no knee articulation, but I'll take the fig 'cause I'm a sucker for Luke Jedi. It would be nice if the head tilted back to be normal though, but I guess with that face it wouldn't matter anyway.

I feel bad for the 2004 Luke Jedi, the design looks good but the open palm and the sculpted-on vest seem very limiting to me. What amazes me most about the vest is that the past few years have seen a bunch of SW figures with separate coat vests (POTJ Han Bespin, Bespin Guard, Ketwol, and POTF2 Momaw Nadon all immediately come to mind) yet this new Luke Jedi basically gets stuck with the same thing he was stuck with 8 years ago.

Hey Carrot, didn't you design a cool Luke Jedi figure a while back? Let's see that again and compare it to Hasbro's work. UPDATE: here it is (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=98582), fantastic work, blows both versions Hasbro is doing right out of the water.

Dark Lord Kakorotto
02-28-2003, 11:49 PM
Wow...I didn't think they would ruin such an important figure...I was always on hasbro's side...what a disappointment...I'm sorry but this figure is horrible...but the 2004 one looks frickin' awesome...please don't destroy that one hasbro...I will wait a year for that calibre of a figure

badtaste
03-01-2003, 01:58 PM
I new they would ruin this figure, it's terrible and possible won't stand on his own. Looks fragile and has the face of an angry muppet, and what's that white on his flap? was it in the movie?"

Anakin2121
03-01-2003, 04:05 PM
Actually, it was.

Prince Xizor
03-01-2003, 05:33 PM
I kinda like the figure. While I am a huge fan of articulation, I do like the pose of this figure. I am getting it, and its gonna look good standing next to the new in-scale Vader.

Skywalker3319
03-02-2003, 01:07 AM
Like I said before, I really like the Throne Room Luke Jedi, I think it may be one of my fav. figures of all time. When is the realasal date on it, at first it said May, now its saying Fall 2003. If it is indeed Fall 2003, what month do you think it would be in? Like I said, I really do like the Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker:Throne Room Duel, dispite what others may think. Its what I expected, and I think it looks fanominal!
Thanks all!

187-Maul
03-03-2003, 09:36 AM
I kinda like him now too and maybe I'll even buy him but I still want to know if the flap was really *that* white in the movie (haven't seen ROTJ since some time)?

Jerjerrod
03-03-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by 187-Maul
I kinda like him now too and maybe I'll even buy him but I still want to know if the flap was really *that* white in the movie (haven't seen ROTJ since some time)?

I agree. I think it was more of a darker grey. I hope Hasbro corrects this in time for production. The white makes him look like "Tuxedo Luke- Marriage resistance in the church Duel" :D

Jargo
03-03-2003, 04:36 PM
They stink, they stink they stink. the proto looks so bad it's not even funny and the jabas palace luke drawing looks like a real amateur job to me. man, I flunked out of art college but even I could do a job that bad, that side elevation is just the funniest "eeeeuuuww!" face i've seen drawn in a long time. :D

But we have vanquished the evil of action feature gimmicks! HUZZAH!!!!!! :happy:

Turbowars
03-03-2003, 06:33 PM
I kinda like him now too and maybe I'll even buy him but I still want to know if the flap was really *that* white in the movie (haven't seen ROTJ since some time)? You must really hate bright white 187-Maul, LOL (my Pod)

Beast
03-03-2003, 06:59 PM
I don't know, it may be pretty bright white but it looks correct. I tried to dig up a decent picture of Luke in the costume. This is what I've found so far. You can see the edge of the open flap, and it's clearly bright white/light grey. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

amidalak
03-04-2003, 11:42 AM
here's my hopes for the 2004 luke, please hasbro, don't hose this one up!

darthvyn
03-07-2003, 10:47 AM
actually, two of them!

http://www.starwars.com/collecting/news/2003/02/news20030227.html

check it out!

it seems they are actually listening to the fans. fall 2003 will see the end of action gimmicks that "the kids love..." and the start of the clone wars action figures, then 2004 will launch a collectors series with high attention to detail, and NO GIMMICKS!!!

do you think they read these boards more than you thought before? the drawings of the new jedi luke look almost identical to the ones i've seen here before...

darthvyn
03-07-2003, 10:54 AM
well, i just posted the same thing... didn't know there was already a thread about it... :( :crazed:

man, some of you guys are just never happy, are you... the drawings for the 2004 luke look JUST like the drawings i've seen on these very boards, and you guys don't like it...

anyway, you can delete the other thread...

KingOfSting
03-07-2003, 02:31 PM
you must be kidding, right? this has already been brought up *numerous* times; in fact theres already a topic on this figure that's about half a dozen pages in length and coincidentally is right above yours. next time you should do a search or pay closer attention to the posts that are already on the first page.

JEDIpartner
03-07-2003, 02:33 PM
yeah... what he said.

But thank you for bringing it up again. Good going, Hasblah!!!

JEDIpartner
03-07-2003, 02:47 PM
I don't mind the second Luke that's coming with a more neutral sculpt. I really dig the gritting teeth feature on the first one! Man!! Talk about serious slash and burn behaviour!

aceguide
03-07-2003, 02:57 PM
I like both versions.

darthvyn
03-07-2003, 03:32 PM
you must be kidding, right? did you look at the original thread that i found right after posting this? i already posted there saying this thread can be deleted. heed your own advice.

KingOfSting
03-07-2003, 03:47 PM
you must be kidding, right? just because i am aware of what topics exist, doesnt necessarily mean that i bother to read all of them, or all of the pages to a topic for that matter.

Beast
03-07-2003, 04:14 PM
Guys, it's not worthing arguing about. Darthvyn thought it was new news at the time. And then saw the thread about it. So it was a simple mistake, no need to roast him over the coals. I can understand his excitement, the two Luke figures look great. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Old Fossil
03-08-2003, 09:53 AM
You guys are kidding, right?:crazed:

KingOfSting
03-08-2003, 11:09 AM
to darthvyn and jar-jar: calm down dudes, i was just messin around i didnt mean for my posts to come across as nasty. but anyway i like both new lukes, and throne room luke will look great getting ready to slice off the new emperor's wraith vader thats coming in the imperial 4-pack.

Skywalker3319
03-09-2003, 07:48 AM
Hey, from what I see, I love both of these Jedi Luke figures. Im prob gonna pick up at least 2 or 3 of the Throne Room Duel Jedi Luke, (2 for packaging, 1 to enjoy :D ) and the new super articulated one(when it hits stores) prob 2(one for packaging, 1 to enjoy :D , again) I mean, its all the I expected, and the did a hell of a job. Its movie accurate, the likenesses is real, and it comes with neat accesories. I cant wait for it to come out, but is it comming out in the fall of 2003 or May 2003?!? Can somebody help!?!

Thanks all!

JEDIpartner
03-09-2003, 10:23 AM
Are we all kidding?

Like I said... thanks for bringing it up again! It was worth bringing up! Bring on the LUKES!

Turbowars
03-10-2003, 08:41 PM
wait a minute, are you kidding?:confused:

plasticfetish
03-14-2003, 03:17 AM
Why an argument from one thread was merged into another thread I'll never understand ...

... what I do know is that from having just looked, yeah the flap is "that" white ... but as far as I can tell it's not open until AFTER he throws down his saber and takes a beating from the Emperor. So ... if we're limited to this "unleashed" pose, then I think I'll pass on this guy. (Not like there isn't enough stuff coming out anyway.)

mm74md
04-17-2003, 01:50 PM
I just came across this picture & compared it to the new Luke coming out this year. Looks pretty close! I'll be picking it up!

mm74md
04-17-2003, 01:51 PM
And the figure...

TheDarthVader
04-17-2003, 02:26 PM
Is the throne room vader going to have a removable arm??