PDA

View Full Version : Luke X-Wing Pilot

rherk
02-27-2003, 10:11 AM
Here's the deal:

The POTJ Luke X-wing pilot figure was almost one of the best figures ever. Where was the mistake? I think it is pretty obvious. The face. Those bucked teeth just destroyed it.

However, there is an easy, inexpensive solution. Give it to us again with a new head sculpt. You have been able to reissue figures with new heads lately with the new rebel soldier and imperial officer. Luke is one of the most important and loved characters in the Star Wars saga and would easily sell well with both collectors and kids alike. So please, rerelease it with a new head. It's that simple.

Beast
02-27-2003, 01:42 PM
Actually, when the figure came out there was a huge discussion about this including images. The POTJ is perfect, for an ANH Luke: X-Wing. Check him out in ANH, he has horrible bucked teeth and his mouth is always slightly open. Plus he's a string bean, by the time ESB and ROTJ rolled around, he had bulked up some. He didn't get his teeth fixed, until he got in his car accident. A new Luke X-Wing Pilot Gear that would work better for ESB and ROTJ is needed, somewhere down the road. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

rherk
02-27-2003, 02:20 PM
That is the worst rationalization I've ever heard. If he naturally looks goofy with his mouth open, then close it!

Accuracy? Maybe, it's time to use good judgement other then pay such detail to accuracy.

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate an accurate representation of Star Wars figures but again, good judgement=closed mouth.

Beast
02-27-2003, 02:32 PM
Check ANH, is all I have to say. Luke stands around looking like a dullard the whole time in his X-Wing Fighter Gear. The figure was specifically designed to be based on his ANH version. Which was why he didn't come with a lightsaber.

Basically, after Mark Hammil was in his car accident, I believe it smashed up his teeth and he has either caps or somthing else there. Being somewhat embaressed, he learned to close his yap. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

rherk
02-27-2003, 02:36 PM
I understand that but I think you are missing my point. I am stating that whether Mark Hamil looked like a duffis or not, I think I and most other Star Wars fans would have prefered a "good, less buck toothed" sculpt over an "accurate buck toothed" sculpt.

Now, I don't wanna speak for all fans and collectors out there but......

Jerjerrod
02-27-2003, 11:15 PM
Is this "Rherk" vs "JarJarBinks" Round 2??? :D Can't we all just get along?

I agree with both of you. While the POTJ pilot Luke looked goofy like rherk stated, it was still one of the best Luke's that were ever made. The body suit was superb, and the head wasn't bad either (if you think this is bad, remember the first one?) . IMO it's the sloppy white paint that magnifies on his bad teeth. Otherwise, there's nothing wrong with the figure, it's one of my favorites. If the face bothers anybody, just put his helmet on and cover it. I do agree with JJB too, this is a perfect representation of him in ANH, and if there's going to be any resculpts of him in the future, surely he will be a more buff figure with better teeth, because it will be designed to represent him in ESB. Hopefully, he will wear a "dirty" outfit to show him landing in Dagobah.

JediTricks
02-28-2003, 05:20 PM
I think the head could be less doofy too, the eyes looking up are part of that. I'd also like to see redesigned arms so they can hold a control stick in front of the figure when it's sitting in the X-wing cockpit. Of course, then I'd also like this figure to come with an X-wing control stick. :D

LTBasker
02-28-2003, 05:36 PM
I heard if you take an X-acto blade and make a slight slice in the teeth it looks like theres two sets of teeth instead of Bucky O'Hair Luke.

We really do need a new Hoth pilot suit version though, both of the ones we've gotten haven't been right, they were too buff and the head sculpt they're using is very poor. It would really fit considering theres two Snowspeeders out there, plus the Saga X-wing doubles for a Dagobah version.

Beast
02-28-2003, 08:13 PM
The buffness isn't a huge problem with the Hoth SnowSpeeder Pilot Luke, because they are wearing these big heavy coats anyway. So the buffness fits, just due to the coats. A new sculpt with a removable helmet would be nice though. Sure we'll get one sooner or later, with so many years left for the line. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jaff
02-28-2003, 09:02 PM
Jar Jar your statement that the X-Win luke is perfect is your own opinion that many do not share. He does look duffy, and it's true he looked like that most of the movie but when he was in his X-Wing he did not look like a gerbal. Most would rather see the figure sculpted as he appears in the film mostly. By your rationalization figures will start to be released by mood scenes. Ben (grim faced) - Ben (thoughtful) - Ben (determined to die) - Ben (hesitant) - Ben (thinking oh crap Ani's gonna kill me)!!!!!!!

LTBasker
03-01-2003, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
The buffness isn't a huge problem with the Hoth SnowSpeeder Pilot Luke, because they are wearing these big heavy coats anyway. So the buffness fits, just due to the coats.

Not really, because it's sculpted to look like he's wearing a muscle shirt. Thickness is one thing, but buff as in muscular (way too muscular for Luke) is another thing. Even if he was that muscled up, with the thickness of the cold suits then it shouldn't of even been "bumpy" anyways.

Only complaint in uniform accuracy on the Pilot Luke is that his suit was more baggy, it wasn't skin tight, so it should be a little thicker.

Jerjerrod
03-01-2003, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by LTBasker
Only complaint in uniform accuracy on the Pilot Luke is that his suit was more baggy, it wasn't skin tight, so it should be a little thicker.

That's a very good observaton. I didn't realize his suit was too fitted until now. They should definitely resculpt a thicker, looser suit for a Hoth/Dagobah Luke pilot, and of course, with a non-goofy head.

OzOtter
03-03-2003, 03:42 PM
I'd much rather see a bunch of other figures than a new X-wing Luke.

Ewoks anybody? :D

stillakid
03-03-2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by rherk
I understand that but I think you are missing my point. I am stating that whether Mark Hamil looked like a duffis or not, I think I and most other Star Wars fans would have prefered a "good, less buck toothed" sculpt over an "accurate buck toothed" sculpt.

Now, I don't wanna speak for all fans and collectors out there but......

I'm with you. But if Hasbro is putting accuracy over true aesthetics, then how about a Tatooine Padme with the high-beams on! :cool: