PDA

View Full Version : I hate exclusives.

reebo1
02-28-2003, 08:20 AM
exclusives are getting harder to find these days. retailers are not ordering them in as much quantity any more. These happen to be the best ships and figs to date. As an exsample, FAO, over priced, YES, but the tyderium. this is a cool ship, a must have. B-wing ect. You really have to have money to enjoy collecting Star Wars these days. Most of us work and have to get these on the secondary market. i just wish there was an easier way.

Fulit
02-28-2003, 10:07 AM
exclusives be damned, I can't even find the regular figures that are supposed to be in stores, people like, I don't know, say, EPHANT MON! I voted for him, and where is he?

Exclusives do suck too, though, esp. a place like FAO. I live no where near an FAO, so I got gouged on shipping that behemoth.

Jayspawn
02-28-2003, 10:38 AM
I don't like exclusives that much. I've been lucky enough to get all the Star Wars ones so far. I passed on the Shuttle (on purpose)because of the unnesessary price tag. :zzz:

sith_killer_99
02-28-2003, 11:11 AM
Yes exclusives=V.V.V.V.V.V.H.T.F.

BTW, I just got my Skiff yesterday!;) I lived in Hawaii for 4 years and there aren't any Target's on the Island! Not to mention the fact that I'm way tooooo cheap to spend $50-$60 for a Skiff. Luckily I open all of my ships and found one loose for $25.00 (thanks dr-evazan22;) )

Anyhow, I did bite the bullet, and ordered the shuttle from Brian's. This is my first time ordering from them, but with this thing I wanna buy from a reputable dealer, and FAO was sold out when I finally had the money to buy it.

I figured $150.00 isn't too bad, considering the lateness of the order plus $15.00 for shipping. I did have some trouble ordering from the website, but the phone support was outstanding. BTW, they asked which version of IE I was running and it wasn't a compatability probleme.

Yes, exclusives are a pain, and frustrating to obtain sometimes. Unfortunatly, somtimes it's the only way we will ever see that item made.:(

Chiesa
02-28-2003, 11:53 AM
I loved the details of the shuttle, but i was totally put off by the price! Sigh. I wish I was rich :D hahaha...

Yes exclusives are really a pain and people will take the chance to up their prices due to the fact that they are exclusives. Sometimes I wonder abt the intentions and purpose of having exclusives.

TheDarthVader
02-28-2003, 12:01 PM
I want the Imperial shuttle so bad! But I am not willing to shell out the big bucks for one. (not yet anyway) I think that it is the best vehicle/ship made in the new line.

Brian

mtriv73
02-28-2003, 02:29 PM
It looks like the Convention in Mexico is going to have an Exclusive Yak-Face figure. That one may be hard to get unless you could order it with tickets. (I know I'm not going all the way to Mexico for a figure, but I'd shell out an extra $10 for a ticket I'll never use for an exclusive figure.)

Dr Zoltar
02-28-2003, 02:50 PM
mtriv73,

Interesting if they did this. I wonder if someone will contact the Mexian fan club and find out. Heck, this might even give Hasbro enough forwarning so that they actually might produce enough so everyone who orders a ticket gets one.

But knowing how Hasbro works, they'll only make 2000 and hand them out if you actually attend the show. They will then appear on eBay for $200+.

Banthaholic
02-28-2003, 06:02 PM
I read all the time about people complaining about the price of the schuttle so i thought I'd ask, what would be a payable price?

I know it was expecnsive. Although I bought the bullet and paid for it. The $15 shipping scked, but considering it's two hours to the nearest FAO, it'd cost me $15 to get there and back, and not a guarantee of finding one, some of us luck out and have an FAO in town but for those of us that don't theats the breaks of not lving in a major area so shipping isn't an issue IMO

Yes this item is pricey, but we've know about it since June folks! If you would have preorderd it them you would have only saved $5 a week (considering the aprox 30 weeks from when we heard about to when it shipped).

$5, Man, that's just like eliminating a trip to the locla fastfood restaurant, a drink at a bar, etc...

I agree Star wars collecting (completism) can broke you quick. Since April of last year, I've basically collected everything from POTF-2,EP1, POTJ, and Saga. I see the bills I know what I've payed. Although maybe this item is out of the league of people not willing to pay the price. It really irks me when people intentionally wait out an item, thinking they'll be able to get it cheaper when the price drops, then miss out and then complain about availability. Unless your relatively new to the hoppy or were a contestant on Survivor the past 6 months, this item has been in at least 3 FAO catelogs, and on these forums at least once every other week.

JediTricks
02-28-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Banthaholic
what would be a payable price?

I know it was expecnsive. Although I bought the bullet and paid for it. The $15 shipping scked, but considering it's two hours to the nearest FAO, it'd cost me $15 to get there and back, and not a guarantee of finding one First off, FAO should never have been the retailer to get this exclusive. They've badly mismanaged previous Star Wars exclusives and there's no reason to reward a retailer who is actively going out of business.

I've always thought of FAO as a catalog retailer with a few stores rather than a store retailer that also has a catalog. In that respect, paying $15 for shipping over driving to the nearest FAO is a given to me no matter where you live.

As for what a reasonable price should have been here, I think the most they should have asked would be $50 to $70. Hasbro is using a tool that they didn't have to pay anyone to design or make since Kenner did all that long before Hasbro bought them. Hasbro probably had someone take some cursory reworking to the tool to make sure it was usable and to remove the areas around the electronics, but that's much cheaper than original design and moldmaking. So really, the main cost to Hasbro is the materials, manufacturing, and packaging - I can see this thing costing Hasbro $25 at most per unit, cheaper if they had a larger run. Ultimately, we're paying for Hasbro to make a little profit and FAO to make a massive profit per unit but less in overall sales (which is after all exactly what they have done in the past).

Jaff
02-28-2003, 08:39 PM
For our exclusive problems we can only hope for future releases in different packaging. Hasbro has rereleased most of it's 12" exclusives a year or two later in different packaging. They also did this with the TIE Bomber, Spirit of Obi-Wan and A-Wing Fighter. Originally the Cinema Scenes Death Star Escape and Cantina was a Toys R Us/Wal-Mart exclusive until hasbro released them widely. Hopefully the Shuttle will be out next year for a less than exclusive audience. However I will probably buckle and buy the shuttle before then. Glad to hear you got your Skiff sith killer, no collection is complete without it!:)

Dr Zoltar
03-01-2003, 02:09 PM
I will vote as well that exclusives are a pain in the butt to get. I hope Hasbro reads this and starts to understand collector's frustrations.

Banthaholic
03-01-2003, 08:05 PM
Do I hate finding exclusives, yes!

...but without them, the amount of Star Wars merchandise to see the light of day won't be as much.
It seems like most Star Wars vehicles end of seeing clearance sales, this is obviouslt BAD for business, and hurts what will be released in the future.
So I say keep on bringing the exclusives, for the most part the 02's were obtainable. I know of few here couldn't find the Wal-mart Holiday set, although I feel that one was porrly distributed, and in most cases prob wasn't ordered due to the already overcrowded SW shelves.
Funny though, I actually had this item and received two more for x-mas, funny part is I had the two returned, if I knew they were that hard to fidn I would have hooked a few of you up. (and for those curious, I got mine from Wal-mart, the other two were bought at Disney,, where they were plentiful)

Tonysmo
03-02-2003, 12:30 AM
If we didnt have exclusives to hunt down - we'd all have the same collection and thus nothing to trade, no thrill of the hunt and not a whole heck of alot to discuss..

Did you get the new Luke? yeah, he is cool, yeah, I got him too, yup, me too..

With Hard to find figures we get to bug each other like crazy, trying to figure out who found what, where.. and who is going to be able to afford that 300 dollar lego ship..

exclusives are cool.. and should remain a part of collecting. I still dont have my silver R2, nor do I have an Ephant Mon.. but I still search when I can...

sith_killer_99
03-02-2003, 09:21 AM
If we didnt have exclusives to hunt down -

Did you get the new Luke? yeah, he is cool, yeah, I got him too, yup, me too..

With Hard to find figures we get to bug each other like crazy, trying to figure out who found what, where..

Most of the exclusives are ships. The Target accessory sets and the Wal-Mart Cantina sets were fairly plentiful and can still be found in many stores. THe Holiday sets were kind of an exception.

It's these big ticket items collectors hate to track down because they make already expensive items even more expensive and difficult to track down.

Hard to find figures are really a horse of a different color. The last waves of EP1, Coll. 3 Freeze Frames, and Ephant Mon were or have been the result of low production numbers and poor distribution.

Hasbro's distribution policy guarantees to keep collectors busy trading and bugging eachother without store exclusives IMO.

Colonel Jack O'Neil
03-03-2003, 06:22 PM
Just out of interest is anywhere in the US doing the Jorge Sacul figure offer because over here in the UK if you buy what they are calling the "Jorge Sacul Mega Bundle" which is the Republic Gunship, the Geonosian Playset and the Obi-Wan Kenobi Lightsaber you get a free Jorge Sacul figure, is this available in the US or is it just over here.

JediTricks
03-04-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Colonel Jack O'Neil
Just out of interest is anywhere in the US doing the Jorge Sacul figure offer because over here in the UK if you buy what they are calling the "Jorge Sacul Mega Bundle" which is the Republic Gunship, the Geonosian Playset and the Obi-Wan Kenobi Lightsaber you get a free Jorge Sacul figure, is this available in the US or is it just over here. Whoa, that's wild! No, we don't have that over here.

AdmiralPiett
03-05-2003, 12:27 AM
That's a lot of money to plop down just for a Jorg Sacul. I don't imagine the UK has the insane clearances like they're having here in the states for the Gunship and Arena so I'd estimate that all that stuff total will cost at least $120. What's that like 150 British pounds?
Piett

Colonel Jack O'Neil
03-05-2003, 01:37 PM
Yea we are having some insane clearences over here and $120 is about 74, if I get the bundle I will just sell what I dont want on ebay and make the money back, will probaley find some stores that dont even know about the offer and sell the Jorge Sacul figure as a normal figure for 6 like TRU did with the Silver R2D2.

tagmac
03-05-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
Hard to find figures are really a horse of a different color. The last waves of EP1, Coll. 3 Freeze Frames, and Ephant Mon were or have been the result of low production numbers and poor distribution.

Don't forget about the 3 3/4" Han/Tauntaun, Luke Wampa, and Mynock Hunt cinema scene. I got all 3 on the secondary market, and consider my self extremely lucky. I never saw ANY of them at retail.

As for the exclusives, I've been lucky enough to get most of them (on the secondary market, unfortunately), but I've been turned off to them from the very beginning. The 12" Cantina set.....prolly never made it to the sales floors. 12" Han/Tauntaun & Luke/Wampa.....called "exclusive" but should have been called what they were - limited! Stores getting only one case, none of which ever making it to the sales floor. Then after paying a total of $350 for both, finding them a year later at retail. Where were they when people WANTED them?! "Exclusive" is just another way of telling store workers to hide them in the back, and scalpers to overcharge their customers and claim the stuff is impossible to find.

Dialogus
04-08-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
First off, FAO should never have been the retailer to get this exclusive. They've badly mismanaged previous Star Wars exclusives and there's no reason to reward a retailer who is actively going out of business.

I've always thought of FAO as a catalog retailer with a few stores rather than a store retailer that also has a catalog. In that respect, paying $15 for shipping over driving to the nearest FAO is a given to me no matter where you live.

As for what a reasonable price should have been here, I think the most they should have asked would be $50 to $70. Hasbro is using a tool that they didn't have to pay anyone to design or make since Kenner did all that long before Hasbro bought them. Hasbro probably had someone take some cursory reworking to the tool to make sure it was usable and to remove the areas around the electronics, but that's much cheaper than original design and moldmaking. So really, the main cost to Hasbro is the materials, manufacturing, and packaging - I can see this thing costing Hasbro $25 at most per unit, cheaper if they had a larger run. Ultimately, we're paying for Hasbro to make a little profit and FAO to make a massive profit per unit but less in overall sales (which is after all exactly what they have done in the past).

Many of u might disagree with me but if u wanna get your shuttle without spending 2 much...Ebay! Heck, I know a guy who got it for $90.00 S&H included. I consider it a huge victory if u can get it under a 100 bucks!!

It's not easy altough so just like me, be patient and mostly always be careful with all those rats over there:mad: ...

One thing gets on my mind though...with all the brouhaha around the new shuttle, might be the time 4 guys who don't have the vintage one 2 look 4 it...

mark2d2
04-08-2003, 07:29 PM
Exclusives are a pain to get. And usually a bit over-priced. But they do get us items we would never get otherwise.

If all exclusives were as easy to get as the new Kay-Bee TIE FIGHTER then I would be a happy man. Exclusives should ALWAYS be available online so easily IMOP.