PDA

View Full Version : Aayla Secura - word of warning re. left hip joint

kdp100
02-28-2003, 06:47 PM
Received this figure today, and the left hip was REALLY hard to move - so much so, in fact, that I thought I was in danger of twisting the plastic joint off in its socket.

I didn't want to boil-and-pop such a new figure, so I tried a quick squirt of WD-40 lubricant to free the joint up.

Thankfully, this seems to have worked, but I dread to think what could have happened if I HAD tried to force this joint.

There are some quality control issues here, I think....

Uriarte69
02-28-2003, 08:27 PM
is this fig selling for so much because it's new, or is there something special about it?

patchiswelsh
03-01-2003, 07:21 AM
hey kdp, where'd you get the figure from???

kdp100
03-01-2003, 07:49 AM
I was emailing John at R2DToys on an unrelated matter and he mentioned that he had a preview Aayla in stock, so I asked him to pop it into an exisiting order.
Someone else beat me to the Barriss Offee figure that he also had, but all's fair in love, war & collecting... :Pirate:

Update on the figure, though, and the news ain't good - since my last post, I've managed to break the arm off this figure... by giving it just a light twist! :cry:
There are two swivel-joints by the left elbow, the upper of which on my figure was stuck. The arm is so thin that even the slightest amount of pressure can shear through the joint - so now I think I'm going to have to get out the micro-drill and reinforce the joint with a metal pin.

As I said before, this figure is a great sculpt but I think there are going to be some major quality-issues with it......

Incidentally, at £9 mine wasn't that expensive, considering it was a preview.

bobafrett
03-01-2003, 09:34 AM
Wow, I was planning on picking up a couple of the Aayla Secura figures. Looks like I'll just get one, unless someone else post's something positive about their Aayla Secura figure.

jjreason
03-01-2003, 10:47 AM
The thing about these super poseables (Im speaking from my experience with some Marvel figures) is that they're either too tight (new) or too loose (once you've worked in the joint). I really don't know what could get them to an even middle ground. Nature of the beast. It does get scary when you start forcing a joint to get it to release....the results can be so disappointing if it's a figure you really looked forward to.

kdp100
03-01-2003, 12:06 PM
Yes indeedy - and the big question is whether to try fixing it myself and risk damaging it further - I suppose I may as well!

Still it looks like I'm not alone in my misfortune:
w w w .
g a l a c t i c h u n t e r .
c o m /
reviews/
03saga_0311aayla.asp

(Don't care for censorship.)

patchiswelsh
03-01-2003, 01:36 PM
Oh no
This figure is one i was really looking forward to.
Hope it is still ok
I was going to get that Aayla KDP!!
Maybe i am glad i waited......

Do the arms move "easily" e.g smoothly
I know they shouldn't do but can aayla's base at all connect onto padmés?
And finally how big is the base compared to padmé's???

Sorry for all the questions :)

Rik
03-01-2003, 01:59 PM
Foolish reviewer!:p
If a joint is stuck, put it in the freezer for a couple of hours.

jjreason
03-01-2003, 08:03 PM
I have never heard that before, either. Hoax or no hoax, Ill keep that in mind next time I get a new Marvel Legends figure. And when I get my Aayla Secura.

kdp100
03-02-2003, 01:33 PM
Well, I managed to fix the arm after a fashion, by drilling tiny holes into both sections then inserting a 3mm length of pin into the holes and securing it with Superglue. The end-result is that the figure's upper-arm joint is frozen in place - just as it was before it snapped.

The shoulders of this figure are articulated in a manner similar to Aurra Sing's, and I hand no problem with them.
This is definitely not a figure to pass on, but one does have to be extra-careful with it

Aayla's base will fit onto one end of Padme's (they're about the same size), although they don't look like they belong together - it's as if the conveyor belt ends suddenly at a heap of rubble.
I did read somewhere that Barriss' base will slot together with Aayla's, though.

Chiesa
03-03-2003, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the word of caution. But basically my mind is made up to get the hottest Jedi babe in my opinion. :D

I hope I can give a better opinion once i get my hands on them.

Cheers...