PDA

View Full Version : Ephedrine

Kidhuman
03-01-2003, 02:33 PM
With the controversy surrounding this product, what do you think of it? It has helped alot of people including my self lose weight, but at the same time is killing people. There have been athletes who have died using this product, most recently Steve Bechler of the Baltimore Orioles. It even has been linked to Korey Stringers death a few years ago.

Right now there is a lawsuit against one company and they are trying to get it taken off of the market. It is put in some medicines for flus as well.

I used it to lose weight about 2 years ago. I lost 60 lbs. in about 2 months while taking it and doing the Atkins diet. At that time there was no speculations of death coming from it. If there were I wouldn't have taken it.

I for one think that if it causing people to die then it should be taken off the market. Maybe it can be a monitored drug by doctors only given through perscriptions and a good medical history for the patient.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-01-2003, 02:53 PM
Eh, like anything, if you misuse it properly it has consequences. I don't know the circumstances around the deaths, but i would assume that they either:
A. used it misproperly in someway
B. ignored the possible dangers of the product.

So, in all essence it shouldn't be taken off the market. Hell, you could die from sniffing too much paint, but hey, it's still on the market. Just my opinion. :D

QLD
03-01-2003, 03:18 PM
Yeah, it can have it's side effects, but more people die from taking aspirin every year than ephedrin.

I have used it before, but you have to remain hydrated. These people go out there, and don't stay hydrated, and they go into arrest and have heatstroke. I mean, it's tragic that it happens, but at the same time, you should know to keep yourself hydrated when taking such supplements and working out in the heat.

I am in favor of the proposed warning labels though, to make people aware that they need to take care of themselves.

Lord Malakite
03-01-2003, 03:21 PM
The last time I checked paint wasn't being sold as a form of medicine though. :D

sith_killer_99
03-01-2003, 08:35 PM
I used it to lose weight about 2 years ago......At that time there was no speculations of death coming from it.

Maybe you should have looked into this a little more before you had taken it. This has been controversial ever since I was in High School, early 1990's! There have been a few deaths related to taking it, however in each case we have seen that the users usually take much more than directed. This issue has reared it's ugly head more times than I can count.

I have take products with ephedrine off and on ever since High School. It is good for added energy as well as weight loss, but it must be used as directed, people who abuse it can seriously harm themselves. I use it when I need to step up my training routine. As I said I have used this product well, without any adverse effects for over a decade.

Too much of anything is bad, but it's really no different than any other over-the-counter drug.

My 2 cents.

Jedi Master Silas
03-02-2003, 06:17 PM
My hubby and I both use it in Hydroxycut. I think its gotten a bad name simply because folks have abused the recommended dosage, or have had health problems in which ma-huang, ephedrine or ephedra were NOT to be used with if you had those specific health problems. The bad thing is that folks have hidden or undiagnosed health problems. I love the stuff personally. My husband body builds and I boxed for a few years. We tryed many products but stayed away from ones with ma-haung, ephedrine, ephedra but after ALOT of research about claims of death or injury I couldnt find any in which the product was used correctly by folks with NO health problems. I quess the bottom line is do what you want but always do alittle research. Thats how I found my answers :)

mini-rock
03-03-2003, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Silas
My hubby and I both use it in Hydroxycut. I think its gotten a bad name simply because folks have abused the recommended dosage, or have had health problems in which ma-huang, ephedrine or ephedra were NOT to be used with if you had those specific health problems. The bad thing is that folks have hidden or undiagnosed health problems. I love the stuff personally. My husband body builds and I boxed for a few years. We tryed many products but stayed away from ones with ma-haung, ephedrine, ephedra but after ALOT of research about claims of death or injury I couldnt find any in which the product was used correctly by folks with NO health problems. I quess the bottom line is do what you want but always do alittle research. Thats how I found my answers :)

I have also used Hydroxycut (like JMS) in the past. In the last 7 years that have been bodybuilding I've used it to cut up, and usually less than the recommended dosage. It's all about educating yourself on ANYTHING you put in your body.:)

jjreason
03-03-2003, 12:49 AM
Good advice here, to be sure. I found through experience that pairing the Hydroxycut pills with moderate to high amounts of cardio exercise got me a little concerned about heart rate. A couple of pills before a hockey game, for example, is not for me. Taking them before walking the dog for an hour, however, leads you to burning quite a bit more energy than the walk alone would. It has it's uses, but you need to use it carefully. Maybe even with some advice from your doctor if you're concerned.

JediTricks
03-04-2003, 08:49 PM
I do not get this country's fascination with speed (the drug, not the velocity ;)). IIRC, originally, Hitler had amphetamines invented to keep his tank troops awake and alert so they could roll over Poland very quickly. After WW2, amphetamines (also called "benzadrine" or "bennies", as well as the quaint "pep pills" and the not-so-quaint "crank") were brought to the US and given out like candy by doctors to anybody who asked for a pick-me-up. Consequences seemed mild thanks to relatively poor testing and even housewives were popping bennies to keep up with their daily cooking and cleaning. Bennies cause feelings of euphoria, mental alertness, and wakefulness; they're also given out to help people lose weight, of course these same doctors were slamming the stuff to keep working when they were tired. Then WHOOPS! hey, we found out that amphetamines are highly addictive, destroy your stomach, eat away your teeth, cause heart problems, and can even cause pyschosis - who would have thought a gift from Hitler would have side effects? Anyway, doctors - well, the ones that aren't in rehab for their speed problems - cut down on the medical uses of benzadrine but use other amphetamines in a variety of uses from cold meds to counteracting hyperactivity to weight loss. But that wasn't enough, then the Japanese create methamphetamine (aka "meth" or "speed") which is an ultra-potent and fast-acting version of the drug - this creates a huge speed problem because it makes for a powerful street drug that can be made from over-the-counter medicines and can be shot, snorted, smoked, or crystalized (aka "crystal meth" or the less-popular "ice") for easier carrying to use later... not that most addicts can hold back using it later, but crystalizing is very handy for dealers. Meth becomes an incredibly-fast-growing dilema as more and more people get hooked on it, it grabs hold of the users very tightly and won't let go without a weaker drug to pry user and meth apart. Then medical science tries to modify amphetamines for over-the-counter use while simultaneously combatting the severe problems of speed-addiction, slowly the speed problem lestens while the use of legal, medicinal amphetamines grows. In the '90s, speed makes a big comeback - easy to do when its weaker brothers are already out in force all over the market. Doctors continue to prescribe amphetamines knowing full well the potential danger, amphetamines are in tons of products that anybody can buy from their local store, amphetamine-clones under strange new names come out all the time and get popular even though Hitler's accursed treasure and its offspring always come back to bite us in the behind. Certainly other countries have also had trouble with speed, England has had some severe problems with the drug's use, but we seem to be the only country where medical science knows that amphetamines are a problem or two waiting to happen yet allow the uncontrolled sale of it to people who are susceptible to its potential for abuse and ignorant of its true power.

You might be wondering what this all has to do with the topic at hand, ephedrine. Ephedrine is also used for treating asthma since it has bronchodilating and decongesting properties, I have asthma and once when I was about 10 had to be given ephedrine during a severe attack - because of ephedrine's side effects (such as insomnia, restlessness, euphoria, palpitations, and high blood pressure), I thought I was going to die not from the asthma but from the treatment the doctors gave me. The doctors felt that because it was "natural", they could choose it over a milder treatment - I felt like I was going to die.

Oh yeah, did I forget to mention that ephedrine is another chief ingredient besides amphetamines in producing methamphetamines?

Kidhuman
03-05-2003, 11:54 AM
Thanks JT for that information. I had no idea that it went back to Hitler. I have been pondering weather or not to take stackers again to lose some weight. My wife says no but I have been giving it thought. I have thought about taking the Ephedria free ones. If anybody has taken those can you please give some insight to the way they work. I would appreciate it. Thanks

mini-rock
03-05-2003, 01:20 PM
kid, actually ephedrine (ma huang) goes back much farther than Hitler, but I will spare you the history lesson and just answer the question you asked.

Both Cytodyne Technologies (the makers of Xenadrine) and EAS have ephedrine free products that have been said to have the same potential for fat loss as ephedrine containing products. The EAS product is called Ultra Beta Trim, and the Xenadrine is still called Xenadrine it just says ephedrine free on the front. Be sure that if you go with the Xenadrine that you read the bottle carefully b/c both the ephedrine free and the ephedrine containing bottles look almost identical. There are a ton more available, but these 2 are what I have seen used the most, and both these companies have very good reputations. Hope this helps.:)

Kidhuman
03-05-2003, 08:16 PM
Thanks mini-rock. I will keep an eye out for those products.

mini-rock
03-05-2003, 08:38 PM
No prob.:D

Jedi Master Silas
03-06-2003, 02:02 PM
Hey Mini hows the progress going?

mini-rock
03-06-2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Silas
Hey Mini hows the progress going?

Very well. Thanks for asking. I forgot to tell you in the "muscle-tech" creatine thread that I have started taking that. I can see why your husband likes that stuff. It's frikkin expensive though, but I have to agree that it is the best stuff. :D

JEDIpartner
03-14-2003, 12:04 PM
Okay... I'll probably get loads of crap for this but... if you are an athlete and you need to lose weight, why not just become a little more physically active and stop eating so much junk? Isn't the point of being an athlete to be athletic? :confused:

Anyhow- Ephedrine SHOULD be taken off the market because, if you still NEED to get an assist, there are other "safer" products on the shelves.

mini-rock
03-14-2003, 02:21 PM
You're right JP. Maybe it should be taken off. I can't speak for anyone else, but I take it b/c I achieve the look I want much faster. Now once I get to where I want to be I come off since there is no point taking a fat burner when you body fat is already low unless I was going to be in a competition. You also do not have to be eating "junk food" in order to get fat. An over abundance of carbs, not timing you meals right, and lack of sleep (really) are all culprits, and as men grow older their estrogen levels increase as well making it harder to be lean. For me though I bulk up during the winter, and cut up during the spring which is when I incorporate a ephedrine based fat burner in to my diet. Anyway I've rambled long enough, but like I said JP you may be right b/c there are alot of people who can't control themselves out there and abuse alchohol, stimulants, etc. :)

Kidhuman
03-14-2003, 05:38 PM
I took it mainly to lose weight and combined it with the Atkins diet. It does work if taken responsibly. I only took one a day, very rarely two. Only if I had to work a long long day I would take more than one. It also helps curb one appetite so they don't eat as much. The key is responsibility.