PDA

View Full Version : Vader's Voice

darth maul rat
03-02-2003, 06:36 PM
This may seems like a dumb question, but was there a reason why Vader's voice seems different in ROTJ than the previous two? It seems, I don't know, deeper. More pronounced. I know James Earl still did it. Maybe it was just age. But I still remember being 13 and sitting in the theater back in '83, and as soon as Vader spoke in the Death Star hanger, I was struck by the difference in the sound. I don't know, maybe it's just me...

mini-rock
03-02-2003, 06:42 PM
It's my guess that his "speech projector" or "voice processor" is altered. I've also noticed the difference of his voice from ANH to ESB to ROTJ.

Exhaust Port
03-02-2003, 11:13 PM
Vader got a cold from being left in space so long after ANH.

darth maul rat
03-02-2003, 11:45 PM
I kind of always thought it was just Jones got older and his voice changed, or that the sound systems got better. Or the fact that the first time we hear him is in ROTJ is in the big open hanger. I just wondered it was just me. You know, maybe I'm the one who's crazy...

mini-rock
03-02-2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by darth maul rat
I kind of always thought it was just Jones got older and his voice changed, or that the sound systems got better. Or the fact that the first time we hear him is in ROTJ is in the big open hanger. I just wondered it was just me. You know, maybe I'm the one who's crazy...

Yeah, those are the real world reasons his voice sounds different, but for the SW universe I doubt there's any explenation.

darth maul rat
03-03-2003, 01:11 AM
Yeah, I wasn't really thinking about a SW reason for it, just whether the real world things changed. You know, like Mark Hamill's scar.

JediTricks
03-04-2003, 09:52 PM
It could be that Vader's battle with Luke was so intense that he took physical damage from it which caused a slightly lower voice. Then again, Vader's voice in ANH is somewhat different from ESB as well (or maybe it's because his battle with Luke in the DS trench was so inten... heh heh ;)).

Pendo
03-05-2003, 12:59 PM
Maybe his voice appears to change is because his suit is getting older. Maybe his helmet has been in the repair shop too many times and it isn't functioning as well as is should any more. Afterall he has been wearing it for over 20 years :rolleyes:.

PENDO!

scruffziller
03-05-2003, 12:59 PM
I think though as Vader starts to search for his son, his emotions to turn from the dark side start to intensify and he speaks in a calmer voice, not as viscious and evil as in ANH.

Lman316
03-06-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller
I think though as Vader starts to search for his son, his emotions to turn from the dark side start to intensify and he speaks in a calmer voice, not as viscious and evil as in ANH.

That's what I always thought too. In ANH, he's basically screaming all the time. Lines like: "Tear this ship apart until you find those plans, and bring me the passengers, I want them alive!" But as time progressed over ESB and ROTJ, he just seemed more subdued, a bit calmer. Almost like he was at conflict (like Luke said) and he was just forcing the emotion of anger at that point...

End...

scruffziller
03-07-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Lman316
That's what I always thought too. In ANH, he's basically screaming all the time. Lines like: "Tear this ship apart until you find those plans, and bring me the passengers, I want them alive!" But as time progressed over ESB and ROTJ, he just seemed more subdued, a bit calmer. Almost like he was at conflict (like Luke said) and he was just forcing the emotion of anger at that point...

End...

Yea, ANH was all about the melodrama. ESB & ROTJ were about the mystery and the deepness.

bobafrett
03-18-2003, 02:49 AM
I got an autographed picture from Mr. James Earl Jones today. I sent him a birthday card, and he sent me an autograph, how cool is that!

I thought I'd bring that up, since I saw this had to do with the Voice of Darth Vader!

mini-rock
03-18-2003, 02:56 AM
Right on. He sent one to my kids when they sent him home made b-day cards a while back. :)

James Boba Fettfield
03-18-2003, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by Pendo
Maybe his voice appears to change is because his suit is getting older.

So the suit is going through puberty and becoming a man. That is the funniest theory so far.

bobafrett
03-18-2003, 03:02 AM
I'm framing it, and putting it next to my David Prowse autograph! didn't the actor who played the role of Anakin/Darth as he was unmasked pass away? I think I remember reading that, please inform me if I'm correct. And wasn't his name Sebastian Shaw? I'm not very good with names.

Beast
03-18-2003, 03:11 AM
Yes, Sebastian Shaw passed away December 23rd, 1994. At the age of 89 years old. He had a decent career, but will probably always be best known, as the man to first play Anakin Skywalker. :)

http://us.imdb.com/Name?Shaw,+Sebastian+(I)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bobafrett
03-18-2003, 08:59 AM
Thanks JJB! I'll have to see if I can rent/buy one of his earlier videos. I remember being up late one night and on came this old black and white movie with Alec Guinness playing the part of a vacuum cleaner salesman who is mistaken for a spy. I got all excited, because here was this younger AG, in something besides a SW movie!