PDA

View Full Version : Spike from Buffy to play Young Tarkin?

Beast
03-04-2003, 04:06 PM
Dark Horizons is reporting that someone may be very close to being cast as our favorite gaunt Imperial Officer during his early years. According to the site, James Marsters who plays Spike on TV's "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" is rumored for the role. I think he's an excellent choice, as he has that skull sort of face. I do think he looks very Tarkinesque. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Rogue II
03-04-2003, 04:46 PM
That's a very good match. It is better than Sir Alec Guiness and Ewen McGreggor.

I am glad they are putting Tarkin in Episode 3. I don't think it is very clear how important he is in ANH.

TheDarthVader
03-04-2003, 04:48 PM
I agree...Tarkin has a BIG role but yet so little screen time. I am satisfied with this "Spike" being Tarkin...looks similar. Can't wait to see him in EP3!!!!!!!

dirtybones
03-04-2003, 05:27 PM
Works for me.... BRING ON THE NEXT MOVIE!!!!!!!!

mini-rock
03-04-2003, 07:23 PM
Hell Yeah!! Excellent choice. :D

The 'Xir
03-04-2003, 11:07 PM
Sorry I think he's just a little too young! If there is only 15-20 years between EpIII & IV, they need to find an actor in his 50's so that would justify Peter Cushings "age" in ANH be around 65-70!!! They could get away with someone in their 40's also!

Beast
03-05-2003, 01:36 AM
That's what make-up is for. Have you seen how well old age make-up works in movies where it's used. He's got the general facial features. He just needs aged a bit. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

sith_killer_99
03-05-2003, 10:54 AM
Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great choice, but isn't James about a foot taller than Peter Cushing.

scruffziller
03-05-2003, 11:45 AM
Definately an excellent choice.

Anakin2121
03-05-2003, 01:39 PM
I thought Ricky McC said we would not see OT characters like Tarkin, Han, and Mon Mothma in Ep3...? :confused:

odb
03-05-2003, 02:59 PM
Yes Tarkin should be in EpIII, after all he supposed to be in control of Vader in ANH according to Leia.

He definelty has the look of Peter Cushing, age though isn't a problem as stress, overindulgence etc can age someone massively.

The only thing is that they'd have to change his hair style, as I'm not sure I could cope iwht Billy Idol being a major player in the rise of the Empire.:D

All together now ...'With a Rebel Yell.......

Beast
03-05-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Anakin2121
I thought Ricky McC said we would not see OT characters like Tarkin, Han, and Mon Mothma in Ep3...? :confused:
Not exactly, Ricky said that he didn't think we would see anymore classic cameos. But he's also said in the past we wouldn't see Boba Fett. No matter how important Ricky thinks he is, he knows about as much as we do, when Lucas is writing.

Lucas hadn't finished the script yet when he made the following comments, and Lucas himself said that we'd only see them if they were important for the story. Tarkin due to his age, and the fact he's a Grand Moff in ANH, whould likely have been a high ranking Republic Officer at the time of the Clone Wars. :)

Q: Will there be any appearances in Episode III by classic trilogy characters like Chewbacca or Tarkin or Mon Mothma?

A: No, I don't think we'll see any beyond the characters in Episode II, like Artoo and Threepio.
http://www.starwars.com/community/askjc/rick/askjc20020114.html

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

OC47150
03-05-2003, 04:28 PM
Darken Spike's hair and there is a physical resemblance to Peter Cushing.

As for the heighth issue, force perspective.

Beast
03-05-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great choice, but isn't James about a foot taller than Peter Cushing.
I did a bit of research for this. According to StarWars.com's databank, Grand Moff Tarkin was 1.8 meters tall. IMDB.com lists James Marsters as 5' 11" tall. According to conversion charts, that equals 1.8034 meters tall. So he's not to tall at all. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mini-rock
03-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Yeah a little makeup and he'll be good to go. I don't think age will be a big deal.:)

Beast
03-05-2003, 10:41 PM
As for age, Peter Cushing was born May 26th, 1913. So he was between 61 and 63 years old in 1974-1976. James Marsters was born August 20th, 1962. So that means he's 40 years old now, and could be 41 (42 if they film his shots next August) by the time his scenes are filmed. Add 18 years onto that, and it's 59 (60). Pretty darn close. What we need is a picture of Peter Cushing in his 40's. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

keithfite
03-05-2003, 11:27 PM
I think it will all work out well. After all, bottom line, If they can make a million non existing clones fight a war and little non existing yoda battle tyranus , I think they have the skills to make anyone however aged they need them to be. and like mentioned before, there are already a couple of similarities between the two actors. I think it will be great

JEDIpartner
03-06-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Rogue II
That's a very good match. It is better than Sir Alec Guiness and Ewen McGreggor.

:eek: are you on Crack??? Ewan's doing a great job. Even my non-Star Wars fan friend, Gavin, thought he was doing a good job "impersonating" Alec Guiness! Plus... he's MUCH better looking than if they tried to get someone who looked like a young Alec. Have you SEEN what Alec looked like when he was young? He was a great actor, but NOT a screen idol by any stretch! Hahaha...

I dunno much about the actor in question here, but I think he at least looks like he could play Tarkin. Another tough job... filling the shoes of an accomplished actor like Peter Cushing. He would definitely need to work on Cushings creepy, clipped accent. That's for sure. That was one of the striking things about the character...

Best of luck to him if he gets it! :happy:

Rogue II
03-06-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
:eek: are you on Crack??? Ewan's doing a great job. Even my non-Star Wars fan friend, Gavin, thought he was doing a good job "impersonating" Alec Guiness! Plus... he's MUCH better looking than if they tried to get someone who looked like a young Alec. Have you SEEN what Alec looked like when he was young? He was a great actor, but NOT a screen idol by any stretch! Hahaha...

I admit, I haven't seen any pictures of Alec Guiness from when he was young. I have no problem with McGreggor's portrail of Obi-Wan, I was only speaking appearance-wise. I'll look it up later tonight.

Would you have prefered it if I said:

That's a very good match. James Marsters and Peter Cushing are closer in appearance than ESB and Episode I Yoda. :D ;)

RooJay
03-06-2003, 06:51 PM
Decent resemblance. My pick would still have to be Ralph Fiennes though. He might look a little less like a young Peter Cushing than Marsters, but as far as talent goes - my money's on Fiennes. Guess what...even thought Fiennes looks older, and certainly more mature, according to IMDB.com (http://us.imdb.com/Name?Fiennes,+Ralph) both are the same age!

RooJay
03-06-2003, 06:56 PM
By the way, here's a pic of the young Peter Cushing to compare, if anyone's interested.

Matter of fact - now that I've looked at and compared both - Fiennes looks much more like Cushing in my opinion. Marsters only resembles what you'd think the young Peter Cushing would look like.

Beast
03-06-2003, 07:28 PM
Well, they're casting a young Tarkin. Not a young Peter Cushing. And I think with the proper hairstyle and a touch of make-up that James Marsters is still the better choice, looks wise. I don't think Ralph Fiennes looks enough like Tarkin to be right for the part. In my opinion, he doesn't even look very much like a younger Peter Cushing. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

RooJay
03-06-2003, 08:16 PM
Usually it seems that you and I tend to have more or less the same opinions on things. This time I've gotta disagree. Maybe it has a bit to do with how much I utterly hate Buffy and all things related. More likely it's because I just think Fiennes looks so much more the part (plus, I think people would be more accepting of him in the role than "that guy from BUFFY!"), and certainly he's the better actor of the two. Plus, he's pulled off the jack-booted fascist thing so well in the past (see Schindler's List)!
Again, just my opinion. Besides, if the rumor's true - your choice has already won out.;)

scruffziller
03-07-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Well, they're casting a young Tarkin. Not a young Peter Cushing. And I think with the proper hairstyle and a touch of make-up that James Marsters is still the better choice, looks wise. I don't think Ralph Fiennes looks enough like Tarkin to be right for the part. In my opinion, he doesn't even look very much like a younger Peter Cushing. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I think Marsters also has that evil aura to him that Tarkin needs.

TheDarthVader
03-07-2003, 05:37 PM
I agree. Even though Fiennes looks somewhat like Tarkin, Marsters just looks evil :evil: He's my choice.

The 'Xir
03-08-2003, 02:02 PM
oops, I only read to the bottom of the first page and this is a reply to MiniRocks post:

Yeah but I'm just afraid he'd look to costumey if they overdue it! So, why not make it easier on everybody and just find an older undiscovered talent who looks like Peter C.!
My dad always use to say that RotJ Palpatine just looked like a bad halloween costume, and I know what he means, but that character can get away with it. A live actor trying to play someone older wouldn't!
The best aging transformation I've ever seen in movies, was Robert DeNiro in "Once Upon A Time In America"

The 'Xir
03-08-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
As for age, Peter Cushing was born May 26th, 1913. So he was between 61 and 63 years old in 1974-1976. James Marsters was born August 20th, 1962. So that means he's 40 years old now, and could be 41 (42 if they film his shots next August) by the time his scenes are filmed. Add 18 years onto that, and it's 59 (60). Pretty darn close. What we need is a picture of Peter Cushing in his 40's.

:eek: OH! I thought that dude was like 20-something, he looks really young!