PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else not love LOTR

PoggleTheGreater
03-05-2003, 02:57 AM
Am I the only one who doen't love the LOTR films? Although there are great things in the movies like the score, effects, cinematography, ect., there are also things not so great, like the story structure and editing. In each film there are too many stories being told simultaneously and incompletely. It also seems redundant because each story seems to be ultimately the same story--everyone is tempted by the ring's power; some resist, some don't. Even though there are spectacular battle scenes, the pacing is slow for the most part. The films seem more like fragments than chapters because individually, they're incomplete. I rather see one nine hour movie than see a third of a movie, wait a year, then a second third, then a final third a year after that. I think they should've divided the saga into more, individually complete chapters (maybe five). I never read The Hobbit, but maybe if they included it, it would be good. Overall, I consider the films good, but not great. Anybody else agree with any of this?

stillakid
03-05-2003, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by PoggleTheGreater
Am I the only one who doen't love the LOTR films? Although there are great things in the movies like the score, effects, cinematography, ect., there are also things not so great, like the story structure and editing. In each film there are too many stories being told simultaneously and incompletely. It also seems redundant because each story seems to be ultimately the same story--everyone is tempted by the ring's power; some resist, some don't. Even though there are spectacular battle scenes, the pacing is slow for the most part. The films seem more like fragments than chapters because individually, they're incomplete. I rather see one nine hour movie than see a third of a movie, wait a year, then a second third, then a final third a year after that. I think they should've divided the saga into more, individually complete chapters (maybe five). I never read The Hobbit, but maybe if they included it, it would be good. Overall, I consider the films good, but not great. Anybody else agree with any of this?

Yes, I agree. I still haven't figured what the hoopla is all about. The characters are flat and uninteresting. The conflict is clear as a bell, where good guys wear white and bad guys wear black. There are no subtleties at all anywhere in this story. I've never read the books, nor have I heard the ending, yet I'm willing to bet that I know that good will prevail and the little guy will destroy the ring in the end. The most interesting thing I've seen so far was the tree people. Something about them was inherently cool. I'd pay to see an entire film about their lives.

But as for the rest of it...

Yawn.

PoggleTheGreater
03-05-2003, 03:23 AM
The tree people was also one of the things I liked best.

Tonysmo
03-05-2003, 04:25 AM
Whats not to like about hobbits who cry through the entire movie?

My only hope is that an Orc bites the head off of pippin in the next movie..

The Overlord Returns
03-05-2003, 11:59 AM
I was very ho hum after FOTR......didn't find it anywhere near as exciting and incredible as everyone else seems to...

However, I quite enjoyed TTT...I found it a much tighter, more interesting film....

scruffziller
03-05-2003, 12:37 PM
When I first saw it, I enjoyed it more than the EPS 1.

icatch9
03-05-2003, 01:09 PM
I was kind of "Big Deal" after the first one too. Then I got a little deeper into the story, and the more times I saw it the more I liked it. It's a very deep story and can seem a bit dull. There is a lot going on and that is often hard to re-create in a movie.

I've read the first two books and they are great, however greatly different. They are put togeather differently and follow the story in a differnt mannor.

I love the movies and they are some of my favorite movies ever, but I can understand why you or anyone would fell that they are just so so.

The Overlord Returns
03-05-2003, 01:20 PM
Honestly...I have no idea how they are going to put together ROTK and keep it interesting for three hours......

I found the shire bit tedious, after what had come before it....

Ah well...guess we'll find out come winter.

blueswiz
03-05-2003, 02:02 PM
i fell asleep three times through the first one.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-05-2003, 02:03 PM
Overlord, from what i understand, the "Scouring of the Shire" part of ROTK has been cut out of the film. Let's not forget Shelob and how she was supposed to be in TTT and got cut for the beginning of ROTK. There is plenty that can be put in the film. I can't wait!! :D

The Overlord Returns
03-05-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute
Overlord, from what i understand, the "Scouring of the Shire" part of ROTK has been cut out of the film. Let's not forget Shelob and how she was supposed to be in TTT and got cut for the beginning of ROTK. There is plenty that can be put in the film. I can't wait!! :D

Well...even removing it seems odd....obviously, however out of place it felt.....the resolution of Sarumans story can't just be washed out.....

Along with the shelob bits....I assume that the ride of the Rhohirim on Isengard, and Gandalphs battle with Saruman will also be shown in ROTK....

QLD
03-05-2003, 05:20 PM
I love the LOTR movies.

I found them to be much better than the Star Wars prequels. In fact, LOTR coming out probably added to my disappointment in the prequels.

I love the acting, the score, the special effects, the fact that they actually used REAL sets.....just all around spectacular.

But to each his own.

stillakid
03-05-2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
I found them to be much better than the Star Wars prequels.

What isn't?

QLD
03-06-2003, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by stillakid
What isn't?

That is a very good question stillakid.

Well, I will say 3000 Miles to Graceland was worse. :D

12inch Lando
03-06-2003, 04:58 AM
Jet Li's THE ONE and BLACK MASK were worse too.

James Boba Fettfield
03-06-2003, 07:42 AM
I could really care less if I ever saw these movies. I never got into the hype of the books, either. I tried watching the first one on Starz I think it was, and I didn't enjoy what I saw. I know there's worse movies out there, but LOTR isn't a thing that's caught my attention or interest. If these movies were never made, I would not have shed a tear. Same goes for Harry Potter. H. P. Lovecraft, now there's an author!

The Overlord Returns
03-06-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by stillakid
What isn't?

The Fellowship of the Ring ;)

derek
03-06-2003, 11:34 AM
everyone has their own likes and dislikes, but i really don't understand how fans of star wars don't like the LOTR films? it's obvious that lucas was really influenced by the books and both trilogies have the same basic storylines. oh well....:confused:

and the little guy will destroy the ring in the end wrong.........;)

The Overlord Returns
03-06-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by derek
everyone has their own likes and dislikes, but i really don't understand how fans of star wars don't like the LOTR films? it's obvious that lucas was really influenced by the books and both trilogies have the same basic storylines. oh well....:confused:

wrong.........;)

I just didn't really enjoy Fellowship. On the other hand, as stated, I quite liked two towers....

And come on.......A little guy destroys the ring..... ;)

stillakid
03-06-2003, 01:43 PM
George pulled a ton from a lot of places. Kurosawa, Dune, Flash Gordon, auto racing just to name a few.

LOTR, so far, just has no spark, no real chemistry between the characters. That's what made the OT so great. None of the piddly problems in Star Wars mattered because the characters and situations were so engaging. That's primarily what's missing from the Prequels and also what I don't see present in LOTR. While the films look good, I don't give a rats a.h. about any one of the characters in LOTR, or the Prequels for that matter.

wrong.........;)

I knew somebody would say that. ;)

PoggleTheGreater
03-06-2003, 04:49 PM
I like any SW movie better than any LOTR movie.

Jayspawn
03-07-2003, 01:04 AM
where good guys wear white and bad guys wear black
Not true, Saruman the White doesn't wear black. And he's evil!

That aside..

I love the Lord of the Rings films. I must admit that I was lost having never read the books and seeing Fellowship the first time. Having paid a little more attention to dialogue I've become quite a fan. My favorite part of the movies is the detail. Which is everything. So much work and beauty went into making these films. It's called quality, and I'm a big fan of that. Peter Jackson has done a great job. I'm impressed with the acting as well. Ian McKellen amazes the hell out of me, a fine actor. Elija Wood has really grown as an actor as well. He was great in "The Good Son" and other films as well. Other side characters like Sean Astin, Hugo Weaving, Cate Blanchett and Liv Tyler were well casted and dont' play any of their 'celebrity' persona in their characters. Although I'll always see Hugo Weaving as Agent Smith from "The Matrix."

QLD
03-07-2003, 01:37 AM
Yeah, seeing the effort put into the LOTR movies, makes me weep and think about how good the prequels could be if there was effort put into them.

2-1B
03-07-2003, 02:26 AM
Hey QLD - if the prequels are so bad, then why are they in that DVD collection list you have linked up there ?

:crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

stillakid
03-07-2003, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by Caesar
Hey QLD - if the prequels are so bad, then why are they in that DVD collection list you have linked up there ?

:crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

Mine were both Christmas presents. Still haven't cracked the plastic on AOTC. Got my fingers crossed for the IMAX edition.

QLD
03-07-2003, 05:04 PM
Actually, my AOTC was a gift from 12" Lando, I didn't buy it myself.

I bought E1 because I only saw E1 in the theaters twice. The first time I enjoyed it OK. The second time it wasn't that good....

When I watched it at home....well, you know how I feel now.

It takes a few viewings of them to burn away the pleasant memories of the OT that made me forgive the crappiness of the prequels during the original viewings.

And I also have Get A Life the TV show in my DVD collection. That means nothing :crazed: