PDA

View Full Version : Tatooine Ghost thoughts/reviews

El Chuxter
03-05-2003, 05:38 PM
Looks like Tatooine Ghost was released yesterday. (I was thinking it was still a week off! Just call me your friendly neighborhood know-nothing moderator! :p) Prequels finally meet classic trilogy: to say this one is highly-anticipated is the understatement of the year.

There's an excellent interview and excerpt on at http://www.starwars.com/eu/feature/20030303/index.html that is making me positively drool for this book. I'll be picking up a copy ASAP and throwing in my two cents on this book. In the meantime, y'all get to discussin'! :)

Sidiously Darth
03-05-2003, 06:22 PM
I picked Ghost on its release date at Wal-Mart for $17.85. I'm about a 1/3 of the way through it and so far it's been very good. All I'm going to say for now is that Luke is a lot more knowledgable about his father than we ever knew.:sur:

El Chuxter
03-14-2003, 09:03 PM
I'm not done yet, but I must say this book is awesome! :D

[Spoilers ahead]

This book has it all!! Kitster! Wald! Teemto Pagalies! Leia hearing Jar Jar's voice on a recording! Even a cameo by Grand Admiral Thrawn, training a bunch of Stormtroopers!

You weren't kidding about Luke knowing a lot more than we thought. I thought Palpatine and Vader had destroyed all record of Anakin's existence. I suppose the small human part of Vader saw no need to wipe out everyone on Tatooine, or who was a podracing fan. And after the Empire fell, it makes sense that info coming firsthand from survivors would begin spreading until it was again a matter of record.

Nice to see Pellaeon back as the baddie. Of course, Pellaeon's cool no matter which side he's on.

Only one minor complaint. The account of Shmi's first encounter with Cliegg slightly disputes the info from Salvatore's novelization of AOTC. Here it's four years after Anakin leaves Tatooine. Salvatore didn't (I think) give an exact time, but the implication in his book is that it was a much shorter time later.

Beast
03-14-2003, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
This book has it all!! Kitster! Wald! Teemto Pagalies! Leia hearing Jar Jar's voice on a recording! Even a cameo by Grand Admiral Thrawn, training a bunch of Stormtroopers!
Leia hears a recording of Jar Jar's voice? Ok, now that is cool. Care to expand on that a bit. If you don't wanna post spoilers here, feel free to PM me. You know what a fan I am of JJB. I haven't had a chance to pick the book up, but I'm planning to. Now I may have to get it even sooner. This is one I was really looking forward to. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

El Chuxter
03-14-2003, 09:15 PM
spoilers follow

It's something really short when Leia is viewing a recording of the Boonta. This is from memory, so it won't be exact, but you'll get the idea:

. . . and then an odd voice saying, "Ooh, dissen be messy! Meesa no watch!"

Sorry to get your hopes up there, JJB, but it's still definitely worth reading. I almost crapped my pants when the Stormtrooper squad commander was revealed to be good ol' Mithrawnu'udo himself.

dr_evazan22
03-15-2003, 01:39 AM
I got this book this past Tues and finished it on Wed... I couldn't put it down!

The one part that I don't like, it doesn't fit for me, is the fact that everybody knows Ani became DV. When did this happen? A better way to ask is, when did it become wide public knowledge? I don't really remember it being discussed widely until later, possibly around the time Luke is setting up the Jedi Academy. Before that, I thought it was only discussed in the close-knit group of 'heroes'. If any of you have insight into this, I'd appreciate hearing it.

Hearing Shmi's diary about how much she misses Ani was touching, moreso probably b/c Pernilla August gave a great performance. I realize this is off topic from the book, but the tone poem commercial for Shmi was excellent ("Don't look back..."). The diary built on the emotion from that commercial, and it was nice seeing her getting on w/ her life but still missing Ani.

I wasn't really thinking of this when I started writing, but you get some small measure of what a single parent sacrifices when they raise children by themselves, of the inner strength they possess.

Back to the book...

It was great to see Thrawn, very exciting!

After seeing Leia's a glimpse of Leia's Force potential I'm a little disappointed to see she hasn't done more w/ it.

I thought the way the book started, w/ the Force vision was incredible, and it set the tone for the book.

Beast
03-15-2003, 01:53 AM
Wait. If C-3PO is with them, does anyone say anything about him being built by Anakin? Especially if Kitster is in the novel, he should know 3PO. What with him being Anakin's best friend and all. Does C-3PO discover that, Darth Vader was his father? :)

As for everyone knowing that Anakin is Darth Vader. I don't think so. Maybe the people that knew him as a boy, on Tatooine do. But just like in real life, people don't talk about the past if tragic events occur. It's just human nature. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

dr_evazan22
03-15-2003, 02:11 AM
It mentions that Ani built a droid, but it isn't revealed that its 3PO.

I know, and understand, that the Lars' knew the secret behind DV's mask, but all of Ani's friends never saw him again.

As far as the galaxy knows, Anakin Skywalker falls of the galactic map during, or at the end of, the Clone Wars. Then DV shows up. If I remember right, even in Shadows Xixor has to dig to find a way to hurt Vader on a personal level.

When I first read the "revelation" in Ghosts I was interested to see how Ani's old friends would react. I feel like I was robbed!

Sidiously Darth
03-16-2003, 09:24 PM
Well, I have to say I was rather pleased with the book. The book moved along at a nice pace.

I thought Denning did a nice job of bring back past characters to give the story continuity plus substance.

As far as news of Anakin becoming DV, Tatooine is a backwater but not everyone talks about what they know. If they knew he had turned, I'm sure info of his nonjedi like endeavors reached them also. Probably best to not speak of such things in public.:sur:

El Chuxter
03-17-2003, 03:31 PM
Well, it's clear Wald doesn't know, or at least is seriously in denial, but most everyone else does. Kitster definitely knows not only that Anakin became Vader, but that Leia is his daughter.

There's no mention of C-3PO being Ani's droid. This bugged me a bit, since Lucas has said C-3PO will get wiped in E3. . . but a decade or so after ROTJ, in Union, he knows he was built on Tatooine. So far as anyone (even, presumably himself) thinks, he's a standard Cybot Galactica 3PO-series protocol droid. He shows less recognition of what's going on around him than he did in ANH, but if he's indeed wiped, he has to learn at some point where he came from, if only what planet he was assembled on.

The only real letdown of the book for me were two threads left hanging: the subject of Qui-Gon's search, and more on Obi-Wan's journal. Since the journal deals with Outbound Project, I guess Mr Zahn will be exploring that later. But what did Qui-Gon mount a galaxy-wide search for? I know if can't be that crystal; why would it be so important for him to find for Shmi or Ani a power source for a racing ship that he probably doesn't even know Watto had? Hopefully that will be picked up in a later book as well.

Amy
03-24-2003, 03:20 AM
Can this book still be found at Wal-Mart?:eek:

El Chuxter
03-24-2003, 01:08 PM
It depends on the WM. The ones in my area never carried it, but it's worth checking out.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-12-2003, 11:29 AM
Finally finished TG this week. I must be a tough Star Wars EU critic, because I was disappointed in it. Good points:
- Thrawn as a shadowy background villian.
- Chewbacca back to form!
- Stormtroopers who aren't Stormgoofers.
Poorer points:
- Too much "let's fill in minor gaps using movie dialogue." This was good at the beginning, but it's getting out of control now.
- Everybody knows everybody, everybody trusts everybody.
- Battles too drawn out.
- Shmi's journal seems too obvious a clue (data skips, eh?), and the "why didn't Luke know about this later" just reaks of continuity errors (so Planet of Twilight was a waste of time :rolleyes: ).

I don't know. SW stories are getting weak lately, except the young adult books. NJO is ending (yippee), but that leaves a void. Never thought I'd be sad to see it go.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-17-2004, 08:56 PM
I got the paperback of Tat. Ghost since I'm a cheapskate, :p but also because often there are e-books included in book form. This one has "A Forest Apart," a Chewbacca story that's about 50-60 pgs long. Only issue I have with the tale is that they say Lumpy is 11 years old. (He's Chewie's and Malla's son) I thought he was older than that; guess not.

OC47150
02-06-2004, 11:44 AM
I thought it was Star Wars-lite. A different tone and pace compared to other SW novels out there. Compared to some of the other SW novels I'd heard, it was a nice change of pace.

I borrowed it from the library.