PDA

View Full Version : Mmmmm.... die-cast metal...

mogomra
03-06-2003, 01:37 PM
The Kenner die-cast vehicles were some of my favorite toys as a kid, but it took me until now to start tracking down the Galoob ones. After winning a couple of lots on eBay, here are some of my picks:

Federation Tank - Cool rolling action, nice paint job and detailing. The downside to this one is the soft PVC that the gun turret is made from. The barrel tends to droop.

Royal Starship - The landing ramp and astromech hatch are a tiny eyesore, but the shiny paint job and solidity of this piece outweigh this. Plus the landing gear is pretty accurate.

Millenium Falcon - Rotating turrets and sensor dish, it has landing struts so you don't need to display it with the stand, excellent all around. I can live with the fact that the proportions of the cockpit don't look quite right.

Death Star - The jewel of the lot for me. It feels like a little metal raquetball in your hand, it looks perfect, and they even figured out a way to work in an action feature (the oscillating laser dish). Unfortunately I found a bad defect with it: if a small object ends up being inserted into a certain part of the seam that connects the two halves, the thing explodes.

Not much "high-impact plastic" in any of these, which is a good thing all around. I have another lot of Episode 1 die-casts coming to me which includes the Republic Cruiser and Sith Infiltrator. I'll post the reviews to this thread when I get them.

Any die-cast favorites around here? Any non-Galoob die-cast items that you guys like? I really love the ERTL metal Naboo Fighter kit, and am tempted to check out the Hallmark Slave 1 ornament.

good shot jansen
03-06-2003, 04:25 PM
the a-wing and snowspeeders are two of my fave galoob die-casts. the features are identical to waht was offered on the action fleet, and as you indicated about the falcon, due to their landing gears, they don't need to be displayed on the stand.

the sith infiltrator is also a great one, loaded with all the same features as the action fleet.

JediTricks
03-07-2003, 12:48 AM
DC is one of my favorite SW lines of all time. I'm actually still missing the Y-wing but I have the painted x-ray version to make up for that for now.

I like the X-wing even though the wings are permanently locked open, the whole fuselage just looks so cool - I like that part better than any other toy version out there.

Although the snowspeeder is one of my favorite ships, I kinda turn my nose up at the DC version because the canopy is a little too squat for my tastes. I like the one I have, but it is far from my fav.

I really dig the Sith Infiltrator, but I ended up removing the landing gear because it just doesn't look so great.

I've always wanted to saw off those landing legs on the Falcon, I bought an extra one when they were on mega-sale a while back just for such customizing, but after cutting less than 1/4th of the way through one leg, I put that project on the back burner because I haven't found anything that can cut metal this thick precisely enough.

Other "honorable mentions" would be the Landspeeder, TIE Bomber, and Sandcrawler.

My favorites of the whole line would have to be one of these three though:
- the Death Star, the paint job alone just takes the cake, the accuracy of the shape and the toy's heft are just gravy;
- the TIE Fighter, because it's the only really accurate version of this ship in any toy line ever;
- and Slave I with its pivoting wings & guns, sculpted Boba pilot, killer paint job, and nifty stand holes for landed or flight display.

BTW, I also have the Ertl die cast Naboo Fighter and even though I didn't bother painting the figures & cockpit, I really like the design of this toy. I wish they had been able to sell these so they could have put out a die cast X-wing model and more SW ships.

mogomra
04-29-2003, 02:35 PM
I finally got one of the die-cast Republic Cruisers. Love it, especially the three orange tic-tacs that pop out of the back when you throw the switch.

All-time fave is still the Death Star, though.

mogomra
04-29-2003, 02:35 PM
I'm surprised there hasn't been any buzz about this on the forum:

http://starwars.com/collecting/news/2003/04/news20030428.html

good shot jansen
04-29-2003, 03:04 PM
i've reserved one, but at $300.00 bucks a pop it is a bit pricey. i can't wait to see photos of it.

the fact that the hull comes apart to allow for a peek inside is definately a feature that i look forward to.

SID
04-29-2003, 08:53 PM
Hey GSJ I reserved one them badboys too!:crazed:
I 've been a member of the Code-3 collectors club about 5 years now and have collected 65 pieces of 1:64th scale diecast fire and rescue vehicles over the years and the attention to detail and quality finish of the product gets better every year, from what I'm hearing from my contacts at Code-3 the Star Wars replicas their going to produce will be top of line!:cool:

I was also told the M-Falcon will be limited but the brass at Code-3 have not decided exactly how many will be produced.

JediTricks
05-01-2003, 09:07 PM
I like the DC Rep Cruiser better than the AF version actually, the metal just feels better but also there's more of a sleekness to it, subtle but vital.

I wish I could afford that Falcon, but at $300 the chances of that are almost non-existant. I'll ogle one some day if I'm lucky though, but I think even for something as great as this, I can't afford more than $50.

jeddah
05-02-2003, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by mogomra
Any die-cast favorites around here? Any non-Galoob die-cast items that you guys like? I really love the ERTL metal Naboo Fighter kit...

I have it, made it, painted it (very accurately, I may add :) ). It would replace my entire fleet of AF N1s which are squar inaccurate horrors.

Has anyone found a good product that can return the metal alloy to its original lustre?

jeddah

JediTricks
05-03-2003, 06:43 AM
Dang it Jeddah! Now you made me go over and look at my N1 model just to find out that the chromy bits are tarnished! Ignorance IS bliss. I would assume a gentle brass polish or tarnish cleaner would work, but it might strip the chrome off so test first before going all out.

BTW, "squar"?

[DSS]Pedr0
05-14-2003, 06:56 PM
Are These the ones that came like 10(dunno guessing) in a box with the see thru front window and blue box(border)? cuz i have two and they just take up space......i will try and snap a photo and auction them up relativley cheap...i got them over 10 years ago

good shot jansen
06-27-2003, 07:43 AM
here are some shots of the upcoming code 3 millenium falcon

good shot jansen
06-27-2003, 07:44 AM
another shot

good shot jansen
06-27-2003, 07:45 AM
really cool stuff!

JediTricks
06-29-2003, 11:18 PM
The one thing I don't understand is the tool included to lift the panels, will it be cushioned magnets or something? All I can see in their pic of it is a black stick.

sicqnus
06-30-2003, 12:08 AM
The one thing I don't understand is the tool included to lift the panels, will it be cushioned magnets or something? All I can see in their pic of it is a black stick.

Will I pay $265 for a... tool, a little book with inside : a great gift !!! An old-fashioned soft patch of the Rebel insigna... Wow great deal ! :dead: Sorry I'm not in the Woodstock nostalgia. :p
The good news is C3 said they will make more work on the Falcon : better inner details and a real paintjob :rolleyes:
Thanks my Lord.
:)

Mmmmh may I suggest to look at these pics... First a very good looking Falcon sold for less than $265.

What quality means ???

sicqnus
07-09-2003, 01:28 AM
We will see the production piece finally. The Code 3 Falcon will be shown to the public at the San Diego Comic Con (july 17). We will have a better idea after that.

sicqnus
07-17-2003, 03:43 PM
The Code 3 Falcon & X-Wing proto at Comic Con.

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/photo/showgallery.php?cat=638&password= (looks cheap).
or :
http://www.rebelscum.com/gallery/comiccon03/ (looks good).

The Code3 Falcon have a new, better paintjob than on the first pics showed two months ago. The stand is beautiful and the ship looks good. But the technical belt all around the vessel is still too large.

Part of the Millenium Falcon Interview at Comic Con :
"Well I must admit I've eaten too many hamburgers with pancakes & maple sirup in the past... But it's over now, I made the promise to go on a diet and to go to the gym to loose weight... But you know i'm not so bad. Look I will take off now to show you..."
|the ship lands off] : "Vrooooooom... oum ? Ooooooh sh....t !" [the vessel falls] : BOOOM ! [crash of the Falcon].
Obviously, it was foreseeable : the ship was too fat.
If you survive, you will be punished. You will have to write 100 times "I will not eat anymore Hamburgers" for mmmh... tomorrow, ok ?

Three landing gears instead of five (...). Aoh, yes! I see !!! In fact it's not a movie prop replica but a Kenner/Hasbro 3,3/4" toy replica.

CODE 3 X-Wing fighter prototype gallery available here :
http://www.rebelscum.com/gallery/comiccon03-xwing/

The X-wing looks amazing.

JediTricks
07-17-2003, 07:33 PM
The Falcon had 3 legs in ANH.

sicqnus
07-17-2003, 09:57 PM
Yes you're right, I was kidding. The new paintjob looks good, very good. Rebelscum has new pics with great details and light. The prototype seems to be unfinished, I hope they will make the little holes in the mandibles for the "headlamps" and something for the reactors, a grid maybe. The stand is also beautiful with the transparent acrylic cover case.
To be honest I'm very impressed by the X-wing fighter. It's the first time I see a model or whatever you can call it with the holes of the missile launchers...

JediTricks
07-18-2003, 06:35 PM
Yeah, the proton torpedo launchers are a nice thing to see, I was very impressed by the Code 3 X-wing pics. It'd be very hard for me to choose between which I'd rather have, if I had to choose of course. ;) (I can't get either, so no problem :D)

good shot jansen
07-18-2003, 08:06 PM
i'm really getting excited by the code 3 releases. they may be expensive (actually, they're less expensive than i remember the icons being, as i recall those sold for like $600.00 or so, plus the code 3 level of detail with the ability to remove panels is amazing)

the falcon is definately the ship from anh, prior to the modifications seen in tesb. note that the code 3 falcon, doesn't have the additional underhull squared off storage (?) areas. (I never knew what those two new blocks of fusalage were under the falcon's hull :confused: )

the x-wing is incrdible. it appears to be much larger than what i thought would be produced by code 3. i love the torpedo tubes. a great added detail that has indeed been missing from just about every other x-wing out there.

these code 3 ships bring the incredible cross sections to life!

JediTricks
07-18-2003, 08:49 PM
The code 3 X-wing appears to be as large, or maybe larger than, the Hasbro Saga (aka POTF2 fx) X-wing, which is very large indeed. That alone looked quite tempting.

Good point about the cross-sections books! I was thinking along the same lines when I saw the open thrust nozzel on the X-wing.

Battle Droid
07-25-2003, 01:14 PM
I found the Die-Cast Sandcrawler at Big Lots yesterday for $1.49

It's pretty cool (it's my first SW die-cast), though I can't get the ramp to stay closed on the front for very long.

I think another Big Lots near me has the Tie Fighter, at least they use to, need to get over there and see.

JediTricks
07-26-2003, 06:33 AM
Oooh, DC TIE Fighter is the only movie-accurate toy version ever that I know of. Every other version, including the MM and AF are all misshapen in some way (mostly the wings and/or cockpit).

Sandcrawler is a good find too, a nice DC that was just overproduced (basically, it singlehandedly killed the DC line) - the funny thing is, even at the bargain of a buck fifty, that's more than most stores were selling it in the late '90s (I think TRU was even giving it away at one point and still couldn't get rid of 'em all).

mogomra
08-05-2003, 09:09 AM
More die-casts on eBay here:

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=rhstuff4sale&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50

Or do a search for user ID "rhstuff4sale". Thanks for looking!

yngadult
08-15-2003, 04:10 PM
Great Code 3 products - lots of detail in a comapct scale.
I still prefer a plastic version llike Micromachines. they are lighter, cheaper, waterproof and won't tarnish or rust over time.

mogomra
09-12-2003, 01:23 PM
Great Code 3 products - lots of detail in a comapct scale.
I still prefer a plastic version llike Micromachines. they are lighter, cheaper, waterproof and won't tarnish or rust over time.

They won't rust? Do you take them in the tub with you?

good shot jansen
09-30-2003, 07:17 AM
i know it was an extravagant purchase, and that it violates my usual principal of only buying toys i play with, but......................................with that said, i am glad to have this pure thing of beauty.

the falcon is number 468 out of a run of 10,000. (the box that it was shipped in, had a sticker attached indicating that it was 468 out of 10,000, and the carton itself had a hand numbered entry indicating that it was 468 out of 4,000. (i'm assuming that last entry indicates the amount of falcons shipping with the 1st purchases) (not bad, 40% of a 10,000 run with an asking price of $300 dollars)

i will give a full in depth detail of the ship, once i have the time to sit and study it, compare it with photos from the star wars chronicals book, as well as view it in relationship to the cross sections book.

for now i will offer the following;

the ship is heavy!!!!!! the majority of the materials used is die-cast metal, with the ship measuring approximately 13" long (it's about the same size as the micro machines falcon playset), and with all that metal, this baby feels like it weighs 20 pounds or so. really nice.

the overall appearance is nothing short of amazing. it looks more like an actual model prop than a display piece.

one of the best features (which as i will explain, is also one of the most annoying features as well) are the quad cannons. they are accurate in their appearance, you have the top cannons as well as the bottom ones. they swivel and rotate just like they should, and the view panels are acurately provided (they swivel as well). for the first time that i'm aware of, this most important feature of the falcon is accurately represented and provided. however.........the cannons are made of plastic, (a rather flimsy plastic at that), and fell as though they would be the 1st casualty if this ship ever got handled (thank gawd for the acrylic case!). the top cannon section is one of the removable portions of the hull, allowing one to see into the gun well. the detail is quite good. however (there's that word again), the gunners seat, which is attached to the inside portion of the vision window, is also plastic (flimsy again), and one must tkae extreme caution and care when placing the top portion of the hull into place, to insure that the gunners seat fits properly into the well so as not to snap it off.

mind you, when looking at the model, the cannons look great, it's only when you touch them, to see how they swivel and rotate, do you realize that this is a very fragile and easy break off piece of the model. with the care and detail that is shown everywhere else on this piece, it would jahve been better to have made the cannons out of metal, and to divise a way to attachem, so's that they could swivel and rotate, without them having to be cheap plastic to get the job done.

once i have time (probably this weekend), i will study the ship in depth, and give it a proper review.

even though it cost as much as it did, i'm still glad to have it as part of my collection!

good shot jansen
10-01-2003, 09:26 AM
the more i monkey around with this ship (taking panels off, putting them back on, changing the way i display it from sitting on it's landing gear to putting it on it's really cool stand for flying mode), i love this vehicle!

code3 did an amazing job of bringing the incedible cross sections falcon to life.

after spending a few hours last night pouring over the photos of the falcon models shown in the star wars chronicals book, and comparing the code 3 falcon to the incredible cross sections book, i have come to the conclusion that code 3 based the majority of the models design on the cross sections book version.

i have read in quite a few places on the web, that the biggest complaint about the code 3 version, is that it is not accurate to the ship shown in the movies. this is true and not true at the same time.

the falcon that we see in a new hope, is completely different from the falcon of the empire strikes back. the overall shape is pretty much the same, but the details regarding the thickness of the side hull band around the ship is quite different not only with the two movies, but also in the different models used in a new hope alone!

the side hull band is definitely thinner and more refined in the empire strikes back, but in a new hope, particularly in a photo shown of the model in the chronicals book, where the falcon is entering the death star docking bay, the side hull band is quite wide. however, there is also a photo of the falcon in the book, in flight, where the side band appears to be quite narrow. now keep in mind, during the space flight sequences, shadows can play a very deceiving part to the appearnce of the ship, however, in the photo of the ship entering the docking bay (mind you, this photo is a production still of the actual model, not a scene taken from the movie), the falcon is bathed in the full light of the docking bay.

there is also included in the book, an elevation drawing of what is indicated to be the original blueprint of the falcon, and that drawing indicates the wider side hull portions as well.

the incredible cross sections book, also shows a wider side hull section band.

the rear band portion of the ship, at the engine exhaust(?) band, the code 3 falcon does appear to be wider here than what is shown in the movies. i believe the reason for this is because the top and bottom portions of the hull at this part of the ship, are movable thrust vectoring plates which open wide, and close narrow depending on the engine thrust requiremnts of the ship. i couldn't find a photo of the ship shwoing the back while the ship was landed, only in-flight shots. and in several of these shots, the aperature opening of the exhaust band appears to be different from shot to shot.

the detailing of all the little gizmos and gadgets contained within the side hull section band, changes agin, not just from movie to movie, but also in the different models used for the filming of a new hope. this is most apparent towards the front side of the ship, near the madibles on the cockpit side.

the detailing utlized on the code 3 falcon appears to be the same shown in the chronicals book photo that i mentioned above, where the falcon is entering the death star docking bay.

i think part of the reason for the differences of the falcon within a new hope is that the falcon was originally a "kit bashed" concoction of a lot of parts stuck on here and there to give the ship the proper "hunk of junk" look. there was no inkling of how big and how minutely scrutinized star wars would become at that time. so difference between the several models of the falcon used to make a new hope was not considered a big deal. differnent detailing would be used on each of the models depending on what the scene required. however, by the time empire came around, star wars was well onto becoming what it is today, and the models took care to insure that the ship was consistant from model to model.

i had read where someone was bummed out because code 3 didn't even take the time to include the front flood lamps on the ship, as shown in empire when the ship flys into the slug.

in all the photo's of the front portion of all the models used in a new hope, the flood lights just don't exist. in the place of where they will appear in empire, are nothing more than horizontal grills in a new hope, and that is what is detailed on the code 3 falcon.

the detailing of all the interior components below the removable hull portions are lifted verbatum from the incredible cross sections book. it is a full 3d recreation of the illustrations shown. a really wonderful job.

here is a link to the code 3 falcon photo page (http://www.rebelscum.com/code3millenniumfalcon.asp) at rebelscum which shows all the detailing of the code 3 falcon

JediTricks
10-01-2003, 08:47 PM
Sounds good GSJ. How sturdy are the landing legs? As this is the ANH version, does it have only 3? Also, as this is the ANH version, are the forward 'boxes' not on the underside of the ship?

That sucks about the cannons being so flimsy.

good shot jansen
10-02-2003, 06:56 AM
the legs are very sturdy. they are attached to the underside of the hull with three prongs, each of which are magnetized, so they slip in perfectly each and ever time. when the flacon is displayed in flight mode, the legs pop off , and flat under hull pieces are attached via the same three pronged magnets. of course it would have been great if the legs retracted, but that would been a night mare to accomplish. the solution that code 3 came up with works just fine, and the fact that the prongs are magnetic is a real genius design feature which adds to the overall appreciation of how much thought went into the model.

the forward under hull "boxes" are not included on this model. i think i fianlly figured out what those boxes are on the empire strikes back version. they're the landing gear wells for the two additional gear legs which were added for that movie.

i've decided that even though the ship looks so cool being displayed in flight mode with the marvelous stand design, i like it displayed the best with the landing gear down, and the boarding ramp down as well.

i like the photos of the x-wing prototype, and am now very impressed with code 3's workmanship, however, if the cost of the x-wing is anywhere near the cost of the falcon, i'll probably pass on it. i got into this racket to collect and play with toys, not to put together a collection of museum pieces to be only admired nad not played with. we'll see.

good shot jansen
10-02-2003, 12:18 PM
it's funny, i've seen plenty of posts on different forums, as well as on code 3's web site forum, of people slamming the falcon. i can't quite understand the hostility that is being leveled against it. i have no regrets about buying it. i really enjoy the piece. due to the sorry shape of all things galoob-like these days, the code 3 falcon has given me the most enjoyment of any recent acquisition over the past 3 years.

but of course being a micro machine collector, i should be used to people saying disparaging things about the toys and such that i seem to like.

it seems that i will continue to live my life as a square peg in a world of round holes.

viva la'differance!

JediTricks
10-02-2003, 06:53 PM
I don't think Code 3 could have made those legs retract for the simple reason that the real Falcon's interior doesn't allow for the legs to retract either, they'd take up tons of space in the main hold IIRC. ;)

I think people are just balking at the price, for $300 they expect a level of perfection that is very very high and I honestly don't think there's a way to really meet that while maintaining a solid item at this price.

sicqnus
10-02-2003, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the review GSJ,
Code 3 made real improvments on their Falcon between the first prototype and the production piece. The stand is beautiful and the paintjob has been really improved. I'm quite sure I will order the X-wing (and I hope later, the upcoming Tie fighter). The X-wing is rumored to be priced at $200 but it's only a rumor at this time.

SWAFMAN
10-02-2003, 09:05 PM
GSJ, How jazzed is Mason over the Falcon? I can imagine my younger son going epileptic if I brought one of those home.

I agree with JT that some of the negativity towards the C3Falcon results from displaced frustration from people who can't / dont want to afford it, so they're piling-on with critcisms.

The other thing I find amusnig is all the microscopic scrutiny of the C3 sculpt's accuracy to the "real" Falcon. Sheesh! It's a Fictional object! Sure, there are books and drawings and still frames and film models and narrow sides vs. wider sides, and 3 landing gear vs. 5 landing gear, and blah, blah, blah.... But at the end of the day, it's Whatever Lucas & his team decide it is for any given camera shot / cgi frame.

As long as at least 51% of people who know Star Wars can look at it, and recognize it as a Falcon, then the C3 sculpt is a Falcon. Now, from the pics and GSJ's incredible review (which, combined with the pics, made me feel like I've had one in my possession), it's clear that C3 not only delivered on the minimum requirements, they've hit the ball right out of the park.

JediTricks
10-03-2003, 11:23 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a claim of jealousy or lack of funds, I simply mean for three hundred bones some folks will expect a level of quality that even the original prop couldn't live up to under these circumstances (when you factor in longevity and strength of the Code 3 item).

sicqnus
10-14-2003, 01:35 PM
Code3 have pictures available in the members section of Code3's website of the X-wing fighter. This time it's the Red-5 X-wing wich is different from the Red-3 proto showed earlier. Look at the pics below :

Here is Carlos Zangrando's X-wing page for reference :
http://www.starshipmodeler.com/starwars/cz_xwing.htm
Alfred Wong's X-wing and XJ class X-wing pic :
http://www.starshipmodeler.com/starwars/aw_xjxw2.jpg

SWAFMAN
10-14-2003, 06:51 PM
it will be interesting to see some close ups with views of the engine detailing, and if there are any removable panels similar to those seen on the Falcon. From the pics shown so far, it looks cool, but not awesome (IMHO).

As I said in my prior post, I think there should be a lot of leeway given to C3 towards artistic license in interpreting the vehicles. As I looked at the pics in sicqnus' post, I thought the fuselage would look better if it were a little longer and more tapered. The C3 one does look pretty right-on to the McQuarrie artwork on the AF Yavin playset, and even compared to the AF x-wings, but I've also seen artwork with a fuselage closer in length and shape to the concept version (even the Wong model looks longer, to me), and I think that style is cooler.

Any other thoughts on this?

JediTricks
10-14-2003, 08:14 PM
I like it, it looks fairly similar to the pics from the SDCC. I also think that for the space model, it's not quite right, but for the real-life prop from ANH, it's pretty darn close.

sicqnus
10-15-2003, 02:29 AM
Here are other pics, this is only a prototype and the paintjob isn't final (I hope). Too much dark grey around the missiles holes, maybe also a better work can be done on the reactors. It's still a prototype. The R2 unit looks better than the one showed with the two Red-3 Biggs X-wings at SDCC.

Look at the Red-3 prototypes for comparison. The paintjob is far better indeed.
Pics below.

sicqnus
10-15-2003, 02:48 AM
On the pictues from SDCC you can see the beautiful paintjob made on the two protos (yes two, it's not a mirror... curious). There are a few differences between Red-3 and Red-5 but if I remember well, the first pictures of the Falcon prototype showed on the Code3's website weren't amazing because of the light work made while painting it. Fortunately the production piece looks like the second proto version.
I'm quite sure they will produce a Tie fighter after that. The only question is : Will it be the regular Tie or the X1 Vader's Tie ???

A pair of the X-wing and the Tie fighting on my desk... :rolleyes:
If they are not too expensives, why not.

jeddah
10-15-2003, 05:49 AM
Yes, I agree with GSJ, Swaffy and JT that there is a ridculous amount of scrutiny and expectation when it comes to SW models and toys. I think this comes from the amount of models biasing certain shots and so on. I know that with regard to R2-D2, there are several major variants that mean that there is no way to recreate A Screen-Accurate Perfect Replica because so many were used for different shots. Don (Bies) has confirmed that the R2 units are between 18.00" and 18.75" in diameter and there are so many panel variants. Also, in many frames where the image is reversed (i.e Padme cleaning R2 on the Queen's starship) it would be impossible to crete a screen accurate unit. So therefore a lot of builders are making TPM R2, or ESB R2 - or like me, ANH R2 (which has variants wihtin the film itself - silver panel down the back for example). Look at R2's legs in the OT. In some scenes the legs are on back to front, with the two buttons at the shoulder towards the rear, or front depending on which way the legs have been put on!

There are even official Lucasfilm promotional photos where the units are very different. One where the main Radar eye is not black, but lit a bright red from within, almost like a Termi-R2! :D Another desert shot of R2 and 3po has R2 with silver claw arms and one of the front vents skewed back on an angle.

I think - like in Court - judgement should be made on 'on a balance of factors'. If people are going to start getting picky over the fact that there are tiny scale differences - then I should think the fact that the models aren't made of real durasteel should hugely offend them too ;) :D

jeddah

sicqnus
10-15-2003, 05:51 AM
I made ActiveX screencaps of the "Magic&Myth" encyclopedia.
You can see ILM studio models of several X-wings.
First : the nose is longer on the movie X-wings than on the Code 3 proto...
There are not such dark gray rings on the engines (even on Red-5) but this could easily corrected on the production X-wing. There is too much flat black paint in the air intakes of the engines.
Overall, the Code3 looks good except for the short nose.

sicqnus
10-15-2003, 06:04 AM
I totally agree with you Jeddah.
My purpose is only to hope we can get the most beautiful and accurate collector possible at the same production cost. When you can make something better for the same amount of money invested in it. Why not making it ?
To me, the Red-3 proto was close to perfection for a pricepoint rumored to be around $200.
There is still a few improvements to be made on the Red-5 fighter and I'm sure they will be made because they did it on the Falcon.

SWAFMAN
10-15-2003, 07:15 PM
Is it the paint, lighting, camera angle, or some combination thereof, that makes this (http://www.rebelscum.com/gallery/comiccon03-xwing/IMG_0892.JPG) and this (http://www.rebelscum.com/gallery/comiccon03-xwing/IMG_0898.JPG) pic of the C3 x-wing look like it has a longer more tapered nose?

Or, is it just an earlier prototype?

good shot jansen
12-17-2003, 07:19 AM
i received the code 3 x-wing last night. i am absolutely thrilled with the model. in many ways it far surpasses the code 3 falcon. the paint job more resembles the red 3 prototype shown at comic con. this is a good thing, i was concerned that the paint would be as shown on code 3's web site where the x-wing looks too new and fresh.

the detailing of the interior elements beneath the removable panels is an accurate reproduction of the components shown in the incredible cross sections book.

the r2 unit is articulated and produced very nicely.

i didn't have the chance to fully explore it yet, so a in depth review is still forthcoming. i hope to spend some time going over it tonight, so hopefully i'll be able to give it the full write up it deserves.

it really is a beautiful piece. i absolutely love it!

good shot jansen
12-18-2003, 07:54 AM
the code 3 xwing is an amazing reproduction of red 5.

the front fuselage on the production version has been lengthened just the right amount. it no longer looks "stubby" like it did on the prototype as shown in the code 3 photographs. when i compared the model to the photographs of the x-wing in the star wars chronicals, it's a dead on reproduction of the movie model.

the most impressive thing about the x-wing, is that almost all portions of it (minus the operable canopy) was made from metal. when you hold the model in your hands, the weightyness of it feels amazing. the best analagy that i can make about the weight would be what it felt like the 1st time you picked up the galoob death star die-cast. of all the die-casts that galoob made, the death star was the one where when you picked it up, you would go......whoa!. that's exactly what it feels like when you pick up the code 3 x-wing. The code 3 falcon, you were expecting it to be that heavy, so there was no ....whoa, however with the x-wing, the weight of it feels so satisfying!

the level of detail even surpasses the falcon. each of the removable panels reveal different components of the inner workings of the falcon. my favorite removable section has got to be the proton torpedo launching bay. as was discussed previously when the 1st photos of the x-wing was released last summer, the torpedo chutes are properly shown in the underside of the fuselage, and right behind the tubes is the removable section which contains the torpedoes.

when the model is displayed in flight mode, you can either open or close the s-foils. the foils open to just the right amount of width to accurately display the x-wing in attack mode.

mason has the fx x-wing, and even though it's impressive in size, the main problem with that toy, is that after awhile, gravity takes it's toll on the plastic wing assemblies, and now after 2 years, the wings are forever drooping down.

not so on the code 3, the wing assmbly, top and bottom, are all made from metal, and they will be as straight and true in 10 years, as they are today.

the displayed innards of the x-wing are accurate re-creations of the components shown in the incredible cross sections book. as with the falcon, this was obviously the main source of research when designing the model.

a further bit of detail, which shows just how much the folks at code 3 really wanted to get this thing right, pertains to the rear landing gear assembly.

when the x-wing is in flight mode, there is a round bottom portion of the lower x-wing engines that fits into place where the landing gear is concealed. when you display the x-wing in the landed position. you remove the round bottom engine hull portion, and then install 2 1/4 round portions on either side of the landing gear well. these 1/4 round sections are the the half round section opened up to allow deploying of the landing gear. the only shot from any of the movies where you can see the rer landing gear, and how the bottom of the engine opens up to allow for the gear to be lowered is where yoda lifts the x-wing out of the swamp. the incredible cross sections book does not show how the gear lowers from the lower engines, only this one shot in tesb. the fact that code 3 included these open bottom engin panels to accurately show how the rear landing gear deplys, is one of the best details on this ship.

right now, i have the ship displayed in the landed position with all the removable panels opened up, with the torpedo section laying on the ground right below where they are to be installed. displaying the x-wing in this fashion makes it appear as though the x-wing is in the hanger, being readied for it's next mission. way cool!

the removable r2 unit, i have off to the side looking on as though he is supervising the readying of the craft for it's upcoming sortie.

an interesting side note, the magnetizing of the removable portions of the x-wing, and the falcon were installed with different polarity between the two ships. thus the panel removal tool included with the x-wing, will not work on removing the panels from the falcon, and vicy-versy. i don't know if that was intentional or not, but it adds to the uniqueness of each model.

i doubt if i'm gonna get anymore code 3 releases, cause quite frankly, they are a bit large, and take up quite a bit real estate to display, but i'm awfully glad that i got the falcon and the x-wing. of the two, i would have to say at this point, that i really like the x-wing better. it's a fabulous piece.

if i haven't addressed something that anyone wants to know about, just pose the question, and i'll try and answer it.

np: the band - the weight

JediTricks
12-19-2003, 02:02 AM
Makin' it real tempting GSJ, reeeal tempting! If I only had the bucks. (sung to The Wizard of Oz's "If I Only Had a Brain") :D On the magnetism of the panels, do the tools alter the polarity of the parts making them neutral or repellant to the magnets in the ship that normally hold them in place? If so, that's very clever!

good shot jansen
12-19-2003, 07:54 AM
the tool actually has a stronger magnet than the magnet holding the panels in place, that's why they'll pull free when you apply the tool.

after i had posted my review above, i remembered the fine molds x-wign model, so i checked out once again the photos on sicqnus's site, i see that fine molds also shows the bottom opening panels beneath the bottom engine to allow for the deployment of the landing gear.

i would never advocate anyone to spend dollars beyond their means, but if you want a truely excellent x-wing model, the code 3 version is well worth the money.

between the falcon and the x-wing, i definately perfer the x-wing. i doubt we'll see the nit-picking criticisim that was prevelent regarding the falcon when it comes to the x-wing, cause quite frankly, code 3 got it absolutely right this time around!

SWAFMAN
12-19-2003, 08:54 AM
apologies if this question lacks tact, but what were the total, delivered costs for the Falcon & X-Wing?

good shot jansen
12-19-2003, 11:14 AM
the falcon was $319.95

the x-wing was $287.16

with each purchase you make, you get a discount on fuure purchases, that's why the x-wing was less.

sicqnus
12-19-2003, 05:57 PM
the falcon was $319.95

the x-wing was $287.16

with each purchase you make, you get a discount on fuure purchases, that's why the x-wing was less.

Temptation, temptation...
Alas R.L., you really tempted me, but I'm ruined for the moment... :confused:
I know there will be a Tie fighter made by Code3 in next year. These two fighters would be cool on my desk but, well, I have to make choices. I couldn't buy everything.

Alas...

Poor Yorrick !

(but lucky you).

Haven' t little pic ?