PDA

View Full Version : How are you maintaining your interest in collecting Star Wars figures?

Old Fossil
03-07-2003, 12:34 AM
If you're like me, it's been a while since you bought anything recently released by Hasbro. My reason is: I cannot find anything new. I have to say that I rarely visit toy stores like KB and TRU anymore; there's not much out there to justify me going out of my way from my usual Wal-Mart rounds.

I collect mainly Classic-themed stuff, as long as it's decent quality; I also collect some of the Prequel toys that catch my fancy, which are few. But the last "new" figure I bought was a Clone Pilot (the only one I ever saw at retail!), and that was back in January.

This collecting lull, along with the rather slim collecting year 2003 is looking to become, is testing my faith in the hobby a little. Lately I've been sniping decent deals here and there on Ebay; but that's mainly for older POTF2 and POTJ stuff, usually army builders. I've also been purchasing action figure stands, and have begun an attempt at cataloging my collection (bagging and labeling, mostly). All in an effort to keep myself interested in collecting Star Wars figures and vehicles. So far, it's working, but I find that part of the zeal I used to have is gone. I hope that it does not set in, and I lose all interest whatsoever, like I've read happened to so many former Forumites here at SSG.

Anybody else have similar thoughts? If so, how are you maintaining your interest in collecting? Or are you ready to throw in the towel?

Jayspawn
03-07-2003, 12:42 AM
I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet. It has been very slow lately, and frusterating. I've been able to catch up on other action figure lines I collect. I know some stores are doing inventory now which slows things up, a lot! However, I still remain faithful. There's going to be a lot of very cool, new Star Wars stuff this
year. Hasbro does have a LOT of compitetion this year, so I hope they play it smart. I'm still with you Hasbro.

Jaff
03-07-2003, 12:48 AM
I'm a sole Star Wars collector, and no other toys, and I too am very mired by the current Saga line. The last figure I got was Ephant, and usually I get two packaged "classic themed" figures and one "new trilogy" figure as long as it is a character or costume that has not been made before. My priority is my loose collection and my study is nothing but customized shelves of every loose figure and vehicle. There is nothing much out there that is grabbing me now, my only interest is hope that new, more exciting figures come out. I've not lost faith in the lines, just patience. The sculpts may be nice but most have no playability because of their poses. Besides I know in a month some new stuff will be poping up.

QLD
03-07-2003, 01:56 AM
well, i haven't really been keeping it up. Marvel Legends and LOTR figures have been occupying my time.

Though recently i built some shelves in my basement to display my figs, and that got my interest back a little.

And recently I decided to only buy OT figs from now on, with maybe a few exceptions.

JediTricks
03-07-2003, 02:02 AM
It's been going downhill for me as well. I don't like the direction Hasbro's been taking the line lately, nor what they've done with Action Fleet/Micro Machines. I'm not boycotting them, but I barely even search for new figures anymore, I got less than 75% of the 2002 Saga line which is a big deal for me because up until then I had been a figure completist. It's also depressing to see such a large amount of unsold Saga product that isn't enticing new buyers when looking for new stuff. I didn't have terrible luck last year, I even found Ephant easily and early, but since then I haven't found much else (WM saga 2packs and $21 Rep Gunship were about it) over the course of about 3 months - that's a pretty big dry spell for me. But the worst part about it is just how little I'm phased by that, usually I'm upset about not finding new SW toys but this year I feel mostly just turned off. I plan on getting some of the 2003 figures that are out now if I see 'em, but other than that it's kinda on the back burner.

stillakid
03-07-2003, 02:16 AM
Where was that thread where certain gung ho individuals were proclaiming that we'll get all the figures we want because the license has been extended?

Man, if it's this bad with a movie still to come, just imagine what the pegs will look like when the last one leaves the theaters. I'm telling you, this line will not last beyond 8 to 12 months past Episode III. The last you'll see of OT figures will be between now and 2005, then it will be mostly Episode III with a bit of Prequel cleanup. Then death. :dead:

Jerjerrod
03-07-2003, 02:35 AM
I've been trying to be loyal to the hobby. I only buy 3 3/4" Star Wars, and I tend to buy the select few that I feel is a must-have, mainly figures with good sculpts, and interesting characters. The majority of my devotion goes to the OT.

As a Canadian collector, it is ten times more difficult to contend with you collectors who live in the States. Any new figures that appear on the racks is big news, and are gone within hours. The demand here is not nearly as high, so department stores seldom take the risk to flood their shelves with figures. Small specialty stores, on the other hand, succeed in making profit in the expense of die hard collectors. They charge 2-3 times the retail price, even the peg-warmers, but they're also the only people that can get you the harder to find characters.

Because of the fact that no figures can be found easily, it is common to find us buying many of them at secondary prices. Otherwise, ebay is our only resort. Like many of you, I've been finding myself glued to ebay in search of good deals. But no matter how good the deal is, shipping costs would immediately turn the deal into a complete rip-off on my part.

It's tough not finding figures, but I guess in a way, the frustration keeps my interest in the hobby alive. Ebay and internet sites also serve to keep me interested. I don't think I'll give up anytime soon, I just wish one day all figures will be more easily accessible.

But for now, the power of each new figure I buy goes a long way, each new figure I get gives me the fuel to maintain my interest in the hobby for weeks. I guess that's just... The Power of the Force. :p

jedihunter25
03-07-2003, 02:52 AM
Star Wars is the only thing I collect. But I haven't been into the figs lately because I haven't been able to find anything new in the last couple of months. It gets fustrating when you go to the same stores everyday and find nothing new for a long period of time. After a while, you stop looking. Plus it doesn't help when 90% of the new figs are resculpts of the figs you already own with action features/poses.
Lately, I've been really into Master Replicas for my Star Wars fix. Within these two months of not finding anything and lack of interest from resculpts with action features/poses, I bought Yoda's lightsaber, Vader's lightsaber, Dooku's lightsaber, Darth Maul's lightsaber, and the Jedi Training remote. That's around $1,700 that I alone spent in a little over 2 months on a different company other than Hasbro to get my Star Wars fix. Why????- Mostly because of lack of interest and disappointment in Hasbro. Hopefully things will change around soon. 2004 looks good, but that's 2004- anything can happen between now and then.

aharry
03-07-2003, 03:21 AM
Except for the shuttle, the last thing I remember buying is Ephant Mon and a marked down gunship back in late, late November. I have not seen anything new that I've wanted since. I'm usually in the Super Wally World at least twice a week and the only new things to roll through are a ton of compactor scenes and some tie bombers. The figures are all the same and nothing new is coming in. I've poked around to a few other places but nothing new can be found. I'm still interested but I must admit that I find myself looking for new He-Man and Marvel Legend figures before wandering over to Star Wars. I'm also a bit discouraged with the re-hashes that are upcoming. I would rather see brand new figures instead of recreations or repackages. But I've been collecting these guys forever now and don't see myself quitting. Overall, I've usually been satisfied with how things are going. I sure there are many outside factors that are imposing this collecting lull we are going through.

mark2d2
03-07-2003, 06:03 AM
Oddly, I've taken to customizing. (I'm very, VERY inexperienced with this.) Simple Head swaps. I turned Lott Dott --- just wasn't very happy with the "dull and faded" eye detail --- into an Aqualish Senator. He looks pretty cool, the little hat even fits like a glove . . . and now I just need to somehow touch up the hands.

Actually, I've been Aqualish crazy (favorite alien and I had this "wierd" couple of months where I kept finding loose versions at random garage sales for like 25 cents a pop) and have finally created six ALL NEW characters by doing a lot of boil n pop --- although in two cases the bodies were too "head specific" so a little glue was needed and the heads don't move --- but who cares? They look just great.

I am totally EXCITED about the new Tusken --- but of course can't find him anywhere. Looking ahead, there is a lot to drool over . . . Sandcrawler, Geonosian Fighter, All New TIE Fighter . . . but yeah, we really seem to be in a rut right now.

PS --- the other thing I've done is taken the time to rediscover my collection. For example --- I only just recently became aware of how totally cool the new SLAVE 1 is. I bought it back in November because I was desperate to qualify for the 25th Artoo -- and at the time I was like, "Yeah, okay, it's cool. Whatever. . . " But the other day, I took a real good long look at it. This ship totally Rocks! The Paint Detail. The "hidden" Sonic Charges and their flawless deploying system. The even better "secret reveal" multi-missile launcher . . . And then there is that cockpit! Oh, it's so dang cool! Especially how it holds three figures! Awesome. For the longest time, it just housed Jango . . . but now he's been booted out and Princess Leia in her "All New Likeness" disguise is ferreting R4-M9 across the galaxy with her trusted-only-because-she-was-really-desperate alien bounty hunter pilot. (Yep, of course he's an Aqualish! :evil: )

Hasbro has given us so much --- we can all afford to be a little patient.

Rogue II
03-07-2003, 07:51 AM
So far, in 2003, I think the only figure I've purchased has been a POTJ Imperial Officer I found at a TRU. Being a Classic Trilogy only collector, I've been in a dry spell for a while. The current lull doesn't really bother me because I haven't really felt like going to Walmart/KB/TRU anyway. On top of that, the snow storm a few weeks ago took out one of the TRUs I usually go to (I put a link to some of the pics in the Just Found MD/DC/VA thread).

Towards the end of 2002, I was doing some army building. Endor Soldiers, Stormtrooper 4-packs and Royal Guards were all pretty cheap.

I'm getting ready to buy the few 2003 figures I want from one of the online stores. If I happen to see some of the Saga Imperial Officers, Rebel Troopers, and Tusken Raiders on the pegs at a later date, I may pick up as extras.

kool-aid killer
03-07-2003, 08:42 AM
I havent found anything new for a while except the fleet trooper so ive mainly been keeping up with LOTR and TMNT figures. It sucks going into toystores and not finding any new Star Wars toys. I will even admit that they no longer are the first things i look for. Not because of action features but just because for so many months there hasnt been anything new.

JEDIpartner
03-07-2003, 09:23 AM
I'm a Star Wars only collector... even though I did collect some of the McFarlane X-Files figures and I got a Captain Archer figure. I just like them and always have, so there is nothing to really make me "maintain" my interest in collecting. It's been there since 1978 when I was 10 years old... and it's still here.

Darkross
03-07-2003, 11:41 AM
I'm not even close to giving up...especially now...I collect only OT stuff...except I bought a couple of R3T7s way back in April because I liked the droid and I could use him in OT dioramas.

I've been happy about the lull lately mainly because there are only a few OT figures slated for release this year and I've been playing catch-up for years on my POTF2 and POTJ collections. There are tons of figures that I still want from the POTF2 and POTJ lines...and I've been spending all of my money on these lines. Vehicle releases and new OT figure releases makes it difficult to catch-up...but that's what makes it interesting...the thrill and the challenge to complete my collection. Just last month I saved big $$$ on a couple of figures that I bought from another collector. This inspires me and I am always looking for really good deals...so as you can see I've got alot of things that keep my interest in SW collecting going.

jpak001
03-07-2003, 12:17 PM
I think the only SW fig I've bought so far in '03 is a Teebo to bust out. I am excited about some of the new figures coming out, but will admit this lull isn't helping to maintain my interest. Don't get me wrong, I'll still always love the quality figures Hasbro makes, but those seem to be few and far between these days.

I've also taken heavily to the LOTR & Marvel Legends. ToyBiz is really making the best stuff right now IMO, and that's my first stop in toy stores now. SW seems to always come second since there is rarely anything new.

187-Maul
03-07-2003, 01:37 PM
it's the same with me at the moment, the last figs I got was for christmas (caught up on the saga line and some POTJ figs) and I haven't bought anything SW related since, and when I look at the lineup for this year there are till now only about 5-10 figs I want (and I'm already adding the Sketchtrooper to this list), and with so many cool mcfarlane figs coming out (I'm also a mcfarlane collector) like matrix or terminator I don't know how long I will keep collecting SW figs, although I still want some older POTF2 and POTJ stuff (and saga clone pilot and destroyer droid)
especially with the bad availability here in france and the high prices I guess I'll only buy certain figs from now on and only the ones I REALLY want, and I'm running out of space too

I guess this is the phase I'm "growing out of toys" cause some things in life are getting more important for me IMO (BTW I'm 16) so I hope sometime in the future I won't regret that I didn't buy that much anymore:)

bobafrett
03-07-2003, 01:54 PM
I'm very happy at the moment that there is a lull in the SW figure line. I've been unemployed for the last 9 months. I work part time, but my unemployment benefits ran out about 2 weeks ago. This gives me the ability to use the money I do bring in, to pay the basic bills, rent, phone, etc. I went to Entertainment Earth last night and was going to charge a case of the newer figures, but I had to hold off. I already have several items on backorder, I don't need to be charging more when I don't have the money to make more than the minimum payment to the credit card. This also gives me the time to start to make an inventory of what figures I do have.

I did drive around and went to 2 Targets, 2 Wal-Marts, and 2 TRU stores, only to find nothing, but the same figures that many of you see out there.

sith_killer_99
03-07-2003, 02:41 PM
One word:

LEGO:D

droidekas2
03-07-2003, 02:51 PM
I dont even hunt for figures anymore at brick and mortar stores. I preoder just the figures I want and never have to worry about making sure I find something, like Ephant Mon, because Hasbro and the b+b stores dont know what they are doing, distribution/inventory wise. I always check out the toy sections of stores though for McFarlane figures and a few others. It makes for less dissapointment on my part, because I love Star Wars.
I am very worried about this seperation of the line. They are going to give you more versions of the same Saga figures that we already have, Jango, Mace, Obi-wan, etc. and fewer of the classic and obscure figures that many of us crave.
I will always be here, but I think Hasbro is making too many errors(action features, extreme poses, not getting the product to the people who want it, etc.) and fear for the future.

icatch9
03-07-2003, 02:57 PM
This lull is a bit long, but such is the way. I'd love for them to put out new stuff regularly every month, but that's just not the way they operate. Surely we are all used to this buy now.

I buy everything new in the 3 3/4" line. The last thing I got was the Shuttle and Ephant Mon on Christmas Eve.

I don't think 2003 is going to be a light year. Have you sceen the list of stuff coming out? There are tons of stuff. IMO pretty good for a non-movie year.

I think Star Wars will do well as a line this summer. IMO there are no big movies this summer with a knock out toy line. With The HUlk and X Men there will be movie toys, but niether seems to be a huge hit with kids. I mean Hulk toys are already out, and how many versions of them do kids need? X Men 1 toys can still be found at most stores, so I don't see X2 toys doing that well.

So, theres the constant SW line that will have a lot of cool stuff. Plus the Clone Wars cartoon will be a hit with kids. Any cartoon that has toys does very well. We know the becasue of the success of MOTU and Transformers. Not to mention the great 80's toy lines and cartoons or GI Joe, Transformers, and TMNT. Cartoon = big toy money.

I also don't think the line will die after Episode III. Collectors are vast and strong, and will continue to buy the line. It may get scaled back, but will still be present. At that time the new line (POTF 2+) will be 10 years old. I don't think Hasbro will scrap it and I don't think they'll need to.

Death Star Gimp
03-07-2003, 03:34 PM
As a wannabe completist (subject to time and money) I have grown quite cynical and frustrated at Hasbro. Mostly because of the continuous number of re-sculpts of main characters and general poor quality (action features).

When I saw the product list for 2003 I didn't get excited, I mean another Padme, another Obi-Wan, another Mace, another Dooku, a very poor R2 and a brightly painted Boba Fett, no truly original OT stuff.

I decided to become more discerning and select what I like and so far that is very little (Wat Tambor, Coleman Trebor, Aayla Secura, Barriss Offee, Han Hoth). I think the screen scenes are poor, the accessory sets are poor, the bounty hunter set a rip-off, the imperial forces 4-pack uninspiring and the recently announced '5 new figures' which are POTF rehashes turned me off and irritated me.

The only thing that has sparked my interest of recent was the latest fan poll choices, now those I am looking forward to and I am looking forward to the 2004 Luke (Jedi). 2004 is already shaping up to be much better than 2003.

aceguide
03-07-2003, 03:46 PM
EASY!

Here are my 2 suggestions:

1. Open and Play.

2. Children.

Jargo
03-07-2003, 07:36 PM
I'm still interested, just can't find what I want and all the stuff i do is slated for release later in the year. getting my two shuttles satiated my thirst temporarily and then the trash compactor sets were a big disappointment. I've hardly bought anything this year so far. And i just have this sinking feeling that everything will all come in at once and then it'll be a struggle to find it all and afford it all. I think hasbro did themselves such a big diservice by not showing everything at TOYFAIR NYC. the insult to add to the injury of the action features IMO. I'm fairly optimistic as always about eventually getting hold of everything i desire but the wait is getting a little frustrating. I have a lot of customising i could be getting on with but my heart just doesn't seem into that idea right now. I've found myself waking up in the morning and looking over at my stuff and wondering why i have so much, what the point of collecting all this plastic stuff is. Thinking what i could have spent the money on instead of that mound of cheap plastic, wondering what on earth posessed me to collect twenty pit droids, three Eopies, two desert skiffs, why do i have the royal starship and no place to put it, what the hell do you do with naboo fighters, that sort of thought. I wake up sometimes thinking about how long I've say here and typed responses instead of being elsewhere doing something active. I've thought about the things i say and wondered if i really have my head on backwards and up my own bum. I've resolved this year to spend less on toys and talk less on message boards. My interest is waning but not diminished to the point yet where i feel it's time to give up.

Kidhuman
03-07-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by bobafrett
I'm very happy at the moment that there is a lull in the SW figure line. I've been unemployed for the last 9 months.

I am with you. I have been unemployed for almost a year. My unemployment ran out a few weeks ago as well. I have been picking up stray figures here and there, but now that I will have a job real soon, I can get back into collecting. The Wal_mart closest to me hasn't put anything new up since X-mas. I have been getting some stuff off of E-bay, last a POTJ Lando. But I am gonna start to fill in the blanks soon. As long as they stop the action features I will still collect until the end.

Teeska Mon Eebon
03-07-2003, 09:29 PM
Sadly nothing here since november... Last thing I've got was a clone pilot, haven't even seen the yoda or destroyer droid :(

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-07-2003, 10:17 PM
The last things I got in a store were Obi-Wan Acklay Battle and Darth Tyranus Geonosian Escape. I also worked out a deal with Turbowars and got a Clone with Speeder Bike. I'll collect until the end, but it is nothing really new to not find anything new at stores. :o Oh well . . .

InsaneJediGirl
03-07-2003, 10:31 PM
I've just been ordering stuff off the net.I was luckly enough to get a DF Padme yesterday at a regualr store though.Alright..back to topic,

I keep an interest into the Star Wars toys because I love the movies,I enjoy playing and displaying my action figures.I cannot imagine a life without my Collection.Although I'm at the age were collecting toys labels one as a "Geek" :D I wont give up.The lull in my opinion hasnt been that bad,it could be worse.

Rogue II
03-08-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
One word:

LEGO:D

Actually, I've picked up a couple Lego sets. I bought the mini-ships. They are all great, but AT-ST is the best of the bunch. The pics of the mini AT-AT and Falcon from Toy Fair looked pretty good.

Today, I just bought the Lego Final Duel sets. They were marked $3 each in the clearance aisle of Walmart. When the cashier scanned them, they came up as $1 each.

OzOtter
03-08-2003, 05:06 PM
I used to collect all sorts of toys as well as being a Star Wars completist. Two years ago I decided to just get SW stuff because I was just spending too much money on toys.

Now, with the current lull in decent product (I seem to fall into the same category as everyone else here; I gave up un Saga and decided just to get OT stuff (which has been great, Ephant Mon, Shuttle, Cinema scenes) no wonder shelves are clogged with Saga stuff, none of us are buying it!) I've gone back to collecting other lines. Medicom's Planet of the Apes, new Ninja Turtles, He-man, Muppets, upcoming Aliens/Predator, Gremlins (whoa, nostalgia kick!).

I tried to limit myself to being a completist and that was making me miserable because I didn't like the product. What maintains my interest in the hobby, is self control and the gratification I get from what I do buy, be it SW or anything else.

Kidhuman
03-08-2003, 09:14 PM
Shelves are clogged Saga stuff and they are all they same ones that came out a year ago. If they would actually put new stuff out they would be selling. At least thats how it is in my area. I found the Yoda JC and Destroyer Droid in a store and there shelves were empty.

gsr-jedi
03-08-2003, 09:41 PM
I've been catching up on other lines (Marvel Legends, Transformers Armada, Simpsons). The only problem for me is that I no longer go directly to the SW toys first. I remember this happened for me back in 2000, I lost interest almost entirely after not being able to find new Ep.1 toys, and I only bought POTJ because I knew if I passed on them, I'd regret it later, but I wasn't going to stores looking for POTJ, just if I was there I'd buy 'em. But to answer your question of how I'm maintaining interest in SW toys is to come here, the discussions help me to stay "amped", even though I don't come here everyday anymore. I have found four of the new figures though also (Obi-Wan, Darth Tyranus, Eeth Koth, and the Analysis Droids)

James Boba Fettfield
03-08-2003, 10:14 PM
I just collect what I see whenever I happen to go out. I'm not as diehard as I was when I first started, where I had to get every figure produced, and worry about the ones I was missing. Anymore, I'm happy to pick them up when I see them in stores, but I won't go to the lengths I used to when I was in my "gotta get 'em all" phase. I'm never going to lose all interest, but I suppose some of my interests money has been devoted to other things I enjoy, like music and dvd's.

jjreason
03-08-2003, 11:15 PM
For me, it's the "finding" that keeps me up. Random reward.... being Canadian, new finds are few and far between. I never know when my boxes from the US will arrives, so every purchase is like a surprise when it gets here. I haven't bought an article I "needed" for my collection since the second wave of epI figures, everything has come from the US. I have purchased a few extras of figures at retail, usually months after I've received my initial version(s).

Much like comic books, at least half the joy is scratching that particular issue off my "need it" list, the other half from the item itself.

drizzit
03-09-2003, 10:30 AM
For me its been two months since I have seen any new figures. The last two I purchased were two ephant man figs. I switched focus from the plastic figures to the attakus statues. Obviously these are a bit more pricey, but the hunt for these at reasonable prices is what is currently keeping me interested in star wars. I still look for the new figures at wally world and target, but if new stuff is coming in I keep missing it. I'm not to worried, chances are these new figs will be peg warmers by summer.