PDA

View Full Version : When will R2 get his due?

halcon orlus
03-07-2003, 11:46 AM
Now that special features might be dying at last...

We need a collector's grade R2-D2 figure at some point. While there is already a plethora of R2 figures out there, they all have features and gimmicks that annoy the user and retard the figure. Just once, I would like a modern sculpt of R2 that can retract its central leg, turn its head, and has no sound effects, no light pipe, no special anything. Just a quality sculpt of classic R2.

The "R2-D2 - Coruscant Sentry" figure from the AOTC line features a wonderful, quality sculpt on the main body and on parts of the dome. The lines are crisp and detailed. But it has that light up LED that distorts the color and shape of R2's main eye lens: the focal point of the figure's personality. Not to mention a hole in its head where the sound comes out, and that stupid alarm sound feature that goes with it. Even when you take the batteries out, you are left with an unnecessary screw visible in the figure's backside. Then too, this figure has no poseability. He can't retract his leg or turn his dome.

The "POTF COMMTECH R2-D2 with holo Leia" is fully poseable, but has a light pipe feature which spoils both the top of the dome and the main sensor eye. It is also weathered for tatooine, which limits the scenarios in which this figure can take part. And the sculpt of the droid body is less than crisp in the details, in part I think because of a different grade of plastic.

R3-T7, the preview figure for AOTC, features a great sculpt of the main sensor eye, the shiny black lens on the dome. ( Unlike R2-Q5, the imperial droid, which has a very weakly sculpted sensor eye. ) The rest of the dome however would not work as a sculpt for R2. The figure does however have dome and third leg articulation.

Surely there are more R2s coming down the pipe for the next and final movie; if not also for the "classics" line. At least one of these could be a definitive "clean" R2 lacking weathering and special features, eh?

That mold could then be used for other droids.... :p

AmanaMatt
03-07-2003, 02:57 PM
Personally, I feel that the R2 with holographic Leia is just fine. Of all of the suck-***** r2's out there, this one is pretty great.

That's just me. If they do another - and they will - we need the ultimate R2.

Beast
03-07-2003, 03:10 PM
Agreed, R2-D2 w/ Holo Leia is the best R2-D2 sculpt on the market. I'm happy if they use that for the next R2-D2. And since they are doing a nice Jabba's Palace Luke: Jedi next year, hopefully Hasbro will finally crank out a R2-D2: Jabba's Bartender. They should, if the focus being on ROTJ next year is true. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JEDIpartner
03-07-2003, 03:12 PM
Well... I'm all for a good plain, clean, well-detailed Artoo. They need to do one as soon as they can. All of the Artoos that have come before feature one "problem" or another as Halcon pointed out. I'm ready for the "collector's grade" Artoo that you are waiting for, Halcon.

Jerjerrod
03-07-2003, 03:28 PM
Definitely on my top 10 most wanted. Bring on new R2 Bartender!

aceguide
03-07-2003, 03:44 PM
The bartender R2 has been abscent far too long.

I do believe strongly that a highly detailed R2 scuplt would be great. I never got the holo version - but did like the AOTC with effects. Still, it was not that PERFECT representation of aguably the most important SW fig.

mtriv73
03-07-2003, 05:23 PM
Yeah, more Astromechs! I'd also like to see a battle damaged one from a new hope. However, I agree that we need a really great definitive, fully posable sculpt without gimmicks.

JediTricks
03-08-2003, 12:03 AM
Ahem, let me remind you of my (poorly-titled ;)) thread:
Why no really accurate R2-D2 figures? (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17342)

In there, you'll find image comparisons between the Holo R2 figure and the Hallmark ornament that's standard R2-figure size - it's like they're not even supposed to be the exact same character, Hallmark's is right on the money and Hasbro's is a vague approximation of R2's cousin or something.

QLD
03-08-2003, 01:48 AM
I think it is scheduled for release the day after we arrest Bin Laden.

fourtwo
03-08-2003, 03:05 PM
i found the one that comes with the leia in the 2 pack is quite good. i don't how perfect you can expect a little plastic droid toy to look though.

halcon orlus
03-08-2003, 09:42 PM
I'm much glad to see I'm not the only one who wants better droids. :D For those of you who feel strongly enough to want Hasbro to know about it, I posted this same thread in the Dear Hasbro section.

I checked out your thread, JediTricks. Good thread with a solid rant. I missed it when first it surfaced. I now find myself wondering more than ever why Hasbro is all over the map with its renditions of the least changeable character in the entire saga.
:confused:

JediTricks
03-09-2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by fourtwo
i found the one that comes with the leia in the 2 pack is quite good. i don't how perfect you can expect a little plastic droid toy to look though. Isn't that the same R2 as the original '95 version?

Look at FX-7 or 2-1B or security Battle Droid or MMC C-3PO, those are all way closer to "perfect" than any astromech we've gotten at this size. Yet we know Hasbro is capable of getting R2 nearly perfect in toy form because of the 12" one.

halcon, I too wonder that almost every day now. R2 is a solid prop that hasn't changed in any major way in 27 years, yet both Kenner and Hasbro seem to have no desire to accurately portray that in action figure format.

Jerjerrod
03-09-2003, 11:07 PM
While on the topic of R2-D2, does anyone know if the TRU Saga X-Wing's "dirtied" R2 is a new sculpt, or is it a rehash? Thanks.

fourtwo
03-10-2003, 12:51 PM
FX-7 is a little bigger then old artoo, but granted that is one damn fine figure.

i dunno, i find the one that came in that 2 pack to be quite decent. until i see better i won't complain. i'm also fond of the first artoo from the saga line although i haven't picked one up.
:sur:

JEDIpartner
03-10-2003, 01:44 PM
I think the Artoo that came with the TRU X-Wing may have been from the Artoo-BeeOne (R2-B1) mould.

I think my earlier post disappeared, but not certain. we were griping about the new "flying" Artoo. I had stated that this particular Artoo-Detoo looks like something that was packed-in as a cereal box prize and not a REAL action figure. It is such a shoddy sculpt and has such poor detailing... it looks like a throwaway, knock-off or something.

Jargo
03-10-2003, 03:25 PM
I just lost a post in here too. from earlier this morning. That's annoying.

mark2d2
03-10-2003, 05:06 PM
Bartender Artoo would be greedily snatched up by me immediately!

It's decidedly odd that we have a 12 inch version of this incarnation ---- totally awesome figure by the way --- but no 3 3/4 version. It has to be coming soon ---- I would imagine.

But then ---- I've been saying that about R5-D4 since the POTJ line first started up :sur:

PS --- The Horror of "losing" insightful posts by both Jedipartner and now Jargo is simply to much for me to bear! Has anybody figured out the reason for this travesty of internet communication . . . :eek:

Beast
03-10-2003, 05:12 PM
Agreed, Mark2D2. Typically everything made in the 12" line has been done in the basic figure line. Usually first in the 3 3/4" line. The only things off the top of my head that haven't, are R2-D2: Bartender, Padme: Handmaiden, and Queen Amidala: Return to Naboo Gown. Hopefully Hasbro will rectify that at some point. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JEDIpartner
03-11-2003, 11:09 AM
you forgot about that Green Astromech... R2-A6, was it?

Jargo
03-11-2003, 03:16 PM
There's a million and one astromech droids they could do before another boring R2-D2. I'm sick of the blue and white trashcan to be honest. i'd rather see some interesting astro droid paint jobs on the pegs. Some of the astro droids from coruscant in AOTC were pretty groovy. The OT has a tone of really cool looking astro droids that outshine R2-D2 in the fashion stakes. No more dull blue and white please.

Rogue II
03-11-2003, 03:30 PM
It appears that my previous post in this thread dissappeared. Anyway...

I'd much rather see R5-D4 or R1-G4 than another R2. I would eventually like to get a Bartender R2, but put out some other droids first.

I own just about every version of the 3 3/4" line R2-D2. I already decided not to get the upcoming Episode 2 Flying version. That thing looks terrible.