PDA

View Full Version : a Hasbro sculptor's website???

derek
03-07-2003, 11:03 PM
hey all, i found this on "another" site.;)

the guy who posted there claims to be a sculptor for hasbro. he's done the gammeorean guard, the GEO warrior and many others.

what's really intersting is he has a picture of the prototype for the long rumored max rebo.

check out the link to see this guy's gallery:

http://www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/seatbelt/6/Scott/id21.htm

DarthChuckMc
03-07-2003, 11:14 PM
Something else I noticed on that guys site, he has a protoype for what looks to be a NEW Mummra!! Thundercats hoooooooooo!!!

Beast
03-07-2003, 11:17 PM
Well, the last people to hold the Thundercats License was Hasbro. Currently it's unknown who owns it, so it's quite possible they they still do, and this could be evidance that they plan to start doing somthing with it. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DarthChuckMc
03-07-2003, 11:24 PM
I thought LJN did the Thundercats figures? Maybe I'm thinking of something else.

Beast
03-07-2003, 11:27 PM
LJN, but when they went out of business they sold off all their properties. Hasbro purchased the rights to Thundercats, but never did anything with it. Who currently owns the rights is uncertain. But if it's Hasbro, they would be wise to start cashing in on the resurgance of 80's nostalgia. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Exhaust Port
03-08-2003, 12:57 AM
At least they started working on the Max Rebo band. I would still like to see that make the shelves at tome point.

derek
03-08-2003, 01:01 AM
it also looks like a new luke head may be on the way. could this be for the "new" luke with saber swinging action? this head looks like a "jedi" luke.:)

InsaneJediGirl
03-08-2003, 03:55 PM
Yay,Max Rebo Band:DDerek,that head does look very "Jedi Luke".

Hopefully,Thundercats will come back:cool:Probably one of the best cartoons ever.

LTBasker
03-08-2003, 04:25 PM
Is it just me or in the last collage picture at the end, does the Dagobah Luke look like his neck is suffering from Giraffe syndrome? :eek:

InsaneJediGirl
03-08-2003, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker
Is it just me or in the last collage picture at the end, does the Dagobah Luke look like his neck is suffering from Giraffe syndrome? :eek:

I noticed that as well,it looks werid,like the neck was scuplted kinda with a bump and then long and skinny from there.Glad I didnt pick that one up.:crazed: :dead:

mini-rock
03-09-2003, 01:35 PM
I just went to look at mine, and you know I have never realized that before. He does have giraffe neck.:eek:

Very cool on Max Rebo. Hopefully we do see that set this year.:D

derek
03-10-2003, 09:35 PM
the guy who sculpts for hasbro did a Q & A and revealed some interesting stuff:

1. a new 12 inch yoda has been sculpted

2. a hammerhead 12 inch figure is done

3. hasbro is supposed to change the way the heads for the 12 inch stuff is made. they are going to be solid plastic instead of being hollow and made of vinal. the new lando head is supposed to be solid.

this could present a big problem for those of us who do body swaps if hasbro insists on using their old HOF bodies. i would guess this process will save hasbro some money, or else they wouldn't be changing. the 12 inch matrix figures have solid heads and were not very well done. but on the other hand, sideshow also has solid heads on their figures and they are great.

4. he sculpted the gamorrean guard 4 years ago, and hasbro is just now making it!

Beast
03-10-2003, 09:46 PM
Derek, I don't think they are going to be truely solid. It's just a different way of doing them, so they don't have to sculpt oversize and shrink them down. Remeber that picture of the new Luke head, it still had the big opening in the bottom. This will just ensure you won't get anymore of the freak bobble head figures.

The new Lando features it, and you can tell from the base of the head, where it is pushed out slightly that it appears to still attach the same way. By the way, for those who want to read the whole Q&A, the site is Galactic Hunter. :)

A lot of the human heads you’ve done have been outstanding.

I’ve done a lot of the Real Scan heads. I clean them up, but I don’t really take a lot of credit for them. I did the new Lando. That’s a really nice head because it’s solid. They’re not roto-molding them anymore. They’re 1:1. We’re not sculpting them big anymore. [Editor’s Note: Hasbro’s 12” line previously used a process called roto-molding, which required the heads to be sculpted oversize to allow for shrinking.]

That’s good news!

You ain’t kidding! We knew that, too. We’d do a piece and it would come back looking like the guy was sick or something. His head was skinny, sucked in.

That must be frustrating to see your sculpt go through that.

Big time! It’s hard for us because we’ve got to sculpt out of proportion. We have to sculpt the head big and the body small. Anything else that has to be roto-molded has to be oversized, too. It was a lot more work doing it that way.

Collectors would often be disappointed after seeing a beautiful prototype and then (due to roto-molding) the production head would be altered dramatically.

Now they’re going pretty exact. A lot of the time I send something to the Orient, and it’ll come back changed. Things will sometimes get changed due to licensing, so it’s difficult to take credit for everything I do. Everything on my site I can say is 100% my work.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

derek
03-10-2003, 09:56 PM
I don't think they are going to be truely solid

i don't know. he said in the interview they would be solid. i guess we'll have to wait and see lando in person before we know for sure.

and have you seen that new skiff lando on e-bay? it looks like hasbro is using the old HOF body instead of the newer Joe body we saw before.:mad:

mark2d2
03-10-2003, 11:21 PM
Hey! Where is this Q & A?

I can't find it.

I have been clamouring for a 12 inch HAMMERHEAD for years, and certainly would love to see this one come to pass . . .

C'mon Hasbro! Release this guy! Please. Please! PLEASE!

Darth Christopher
03-11-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by mark2d2
Hey! Where is this Q & A?

I can't find it.

I have been clamouring for a 12 inch HAMMERHEAD for years, and certainly would love to see this one come to pass . . .

C'mon Hasbro! Release this guy! Please. Please! PLEASE!

The Q & A link is www.**************.com/special_reports/scottint.asp (put "galactic hunter" in where the ************** are, but leave out the space between "galactic" and "hunter").

Very good article, worth reading. I really hope Hasbro releases the 12" Hammerhead too. I doubt the designer would even mention it if wasn't going to happen. Yay!!!

Now if we could also get a 12" Gonk and 12" Snaggletooth... :) In fact, I think Hasbro should make a 12" Gonk/Jawa 2-pack with a newly sculpted Jawa, because their first 12" Jawa's face is shiny - how retarded! :mad:

mark2d2
03-11-2003, 05:11 PM
Darth Christopher: heh, heh, heh, it's always great to meet another collector so in touch with my line of thinking. I take it you read my thread about how all we need are Hammerhead, Snaggletooth, and a Power Droid to finish out 12 inch versions of the original Vintage 3 3/4 inch line . . .

Yes ---- A GONK! Droid would totally rock. And another Jawa would be more than welcome. Helpful hint though --- just in case another Jawa doesn't happen --- pull his hood as far front as possible and he really doesn't look bad at all. He looks awful in the packaging, I admit. But freed from his plastic prison he actually looks pretty darn spiffy.

In fact, even better than a Jawa would be either a "Dome" Mining Droid or one of the Treadwells . . .

And I'm still DYING to see an FX-7 and 2-1B two pack as well.:D

Ook
03-11-2003, 06:55 PM
Damn, I didn't catch that when I read it. He did say it's a solid head. I like the old vinyl ones. :(

derek
03-11-2003, 10:54 PM
here is a link to the unreleased lando on e-bay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3120760514&category=751

it looks like they are using a different body, and the neck no longer "flares" at the side. could this be the "solid" head lando the sculptor was referring to?

bobafrett
03-12-2003, 12:24 AM
What about heads like the one on Boba Fett that look to small? I wouldn't mind if they made another 12" Boba with a more accurate solid head.

derek
03-12-2003, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by bobafrett
What about heads like the one on Boba Fett that look to small? I wouldn't mind if they made another 12" Boba with a more accurate solid head.

are you referring to the original Power of the Force 12" boba fett with the small head? the electronic one has a bigger head.

knowing hasbro, it's probably just a matter of time before they re-use the jango fett helmet for a new boba fett.

Beast
03-12-2003, 12:36 AM
The electronic Boba Fett that was exclusive to KB Toy Store, featured a larger more accurate head sculpt. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mini-rock
03-12-2003, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by derek
knowing hasbro, it's probably just a matter of time before they re-use the jango fett helmet for a new boba fett.

Now that would be cool. I wonder if they would use a clone face?

bobafrett
03-12-2003, 01:45 PM
Yes Derek, I believe it was the original Power of the Force 12" boba fett. I looked at the box, and it has the cardboard cover that opens like a book. I'm not sure if that's the "Power of the Force" line though. I just enjoy collecting, and never knew about the different lines until I began posting here a couple of months back. Maybe this is why I can't get my collection filed right, in the collectors database!

Clint Torres
03-25-2003, 03:02 AM
SWEET. ACtually I hated Thundercats....I was more of a Silverhawks kind of guy. If you remember you liked one or the other, kind of like The Beatles and Elvis. Frasier and Ali.....something like that. The only character I could give a shoot about from Thundercats would be PANTHRO! BLACK POWER!

Ook
03-26-2003, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by mini-rock
Now that would be cool. I wonder if they would use a clone face?
I don't want to see the face of Boba Fett in his adulthood unless we see an adult Boba in Ep III. Just because we know he's a clone does not mean we yet know adult Boba. He could easily look very different than dad, in numerous ways.