PDA

View Full Version : I need help, Im confused

keithfite
03-08-2003, 03:24 PM
OK. if someone could answer me this I would be thrilled. The star wars trilogy on DVD. Episodes 4,5, and 6. is that out now. I thought it wasnt coming out for awhile but recently I have been seeing it to buy on the internet. and also on this forum there is a topic about a new box set, are you talking about the trilogy? Im just confused I have heard stuff that makes it seem like its out, then I hear stuff that makes it sound like Im mistaken. Im sorry to ask this. as a fan I thought I would know the release of the trilogy but I dont. please help. thanks, keith

Beast
03-08-2003, 03:45 PM
Those are bootlegs, most of them being burned off of the Laserdisc sets that were released in the early 90's. There are no official DVD releases of the OT yet. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

TheDarthVader
03-14-2003, 09:03 PM
And the "real" ones are not due out until 2006. So we must have patience.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-15-2003, 02:20 PM
Does that mean that the DVD versions of Episodes VII-IX that I have are bootlegs, too? Dang! That was $425 down the drain! :frus:

Check in your dictionary for a word between the root word "sarc-" and "sarcophagus." :p

Darth Jax
03-16-2003, 10:41 PM
if you have sarcoidosis, there's pills for that :D

Amy
03-17-2003, 11:07 PM
I am counting the days(and years) to 2006. Is that also the year Episode 3 comes out, or is that 2005?

James Boba Fettfield
03-18-2003, 12:51 AM

scruffziller
03-19-2003, 08:11 AM
Yea, McCallum said they are not even going to try to do anything with the OT on DVD until EPS 3 is done.

Amy
03-19-2003, 02:41 PM
I was really hoping the OT would be on DVD around the same time as E3. That way we could watch the DVD's back to back. Oh well, the next year I guess lol.

Vortex
03-19-2003, 03:26 PM
I'm just excited to buy after 2006 all the other "special editions" or various box sets Lucasarts wants to pump out.

I've already gone to the bank for a 10,000 loan. I figure that way I can buy a box set of the OT, PT, a 6 DVD set of all of them. The special extened edition of TPM, ATOC, Ep III.
I'm ready for whatever Georgie baby want to sell...modify, or lump together.

Bring it on. Let's Rock...

Darkross
03-20-2003, 10:41 AM
All I can say is that GL better release a 12 Disc DVD set of the 6 movies and TONS of deleted scenes and making of documentaries for each movie. I've been waiting forever it seems for the Making of Star Wars, Empire Special FX, and from StarWars to Jedi...the making of a SAGA to be released on DVD. Hopefully GL will include these along with the entire Clone Wars series on the 12 or 13 disc DVD set in 2005 or 2006.

scruffziller
03-20-2003, 01:21 PM
And they better release the movies in all of their formats!!!!!

I WANT THE EWOKS SINGING AT THE END OF ROTJ!!!!!!:crazed:

The 'Xir
03-20-2003, 10:28 PM
I have ROTJ on SVCD, and it actually is of great quality! You can also download the original triology on shareware sites like KAZA and burn them on your own DVD's and SVCD's! :D

JEDIpartner
03-28-2003, 01:53 PM
I just picked up the Trilogy on DVD from Southeast Asia. They SEEM to be authentic releases... even though the artwork is a little mismatched. I know the VCDs were released about two years ago in the same market. Are we certain that the ones available from places like www.dvdfamily.net aren't some Asian release Fox threw out there to appease that market?

The discs have English, Chinese, Malay and Thai subtitle capabilities, are widescreen and have interactive menus with trailers. No, they aren't chock-full of the bonuses the "official" releases would get, but isn't this close enough for the time being? After all, I only paid $29.99 for the three DVDs...

Click here to see! (http://www.dvdfamily.net/product/viewprod.asp?pid=1235&src=s)

Deoxyribonucleic
03-28-2003, 02:00 PM
how's the video quality JP?

And thanks for that URL, I think I'm going to be getting those!

JEDIpartner
03-28-2003, 02:10 PM
The quality is CERTAINLY much better than that of the VCDs. I got those and, while they look fine on a small computer monitor, they look absolutely diabolical on a television. I don't really know what the source was on these, but I was happy enough to not have to crack open the VHS copies of this. The sound isn't THX, but it's pretty clear stereo. I've only had them for a couple days and didn't really look into them much as I haven't had the time. Still... I wasn't disappointed by this temporary substitute... so far as I have seen from the few scenes I have viewed!

The other things is that these DVDs are in Widescreen versus Pan and Scan. The VCDs were Pan and Scan only.

Deoxyribonucleic
03-29-2003, 10:08 AM
Thanks JediPartner for all the info. Those look to be real good and for 30 bucks for all 3, NOT bad, not bad! Something to tide us over for the next 3 years :)

JEDIpartner
03-29-2003, 11:26 AM
that was exactly my thought on the matter.

JEDIpartner
04-03-2003, 08:05 AM
After having gotten mine and giving it a big thumbs up, I thought I would post a link to this review that echoes my sentiments about this "special" release. It's from PulpFilm.com. I think it will help you decide whether or not you should invest in this great collection. Don't worry, Uncle George, you'll still be getting our $$$ when you release the OFFICIAL version on DVD...

Star Wars: The Five Star Collection - DVD Review (http://www.pulpfilm.com/reviews_engine/show_review.php?review=20)

JEDIpartner
04-04-2003, 08:27 AM
What this set has...

All three "Special Edition" films in a PERFECT transfer from laserdisc in widescreen format.
Dolby 5.1 & Dolby Surround (skip the DTS 5.1)
All three "Special Edition" trailers
All three "making of the Special Edition" featurettes as one long featurette tacked onto the "ROTJ" trailer track.
Limited chapter search (but who cares???)

I finally watched all three from start to finish and I am telling you that you would be an idiot not to pick these up to carry you through until Uncle George gives us the real deal!!! Jedi Drew is picking these up as well.

JEDIpartner
04-21-2003, 08:51 AM
Jedi Drew got his DVDs this past week. I'm trying to get him to post his thoughts on the set. I also spoke with a friend in Columbus. He doesn't post on SSG but is about as big of a geek as the rest of us. Anyhow... he advised me that the set DID NOT PLAY ON HIS X-BOX. He had no trobles on his DVD player or computer, so the problem with playback appears to be with DVD compatible game systems. Just wanted to give a heads-up to those who wish to purchase a set but only have an X-Box or PS2 to playback on.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-21-2003, 12:28 PM
My cous has the PS2 and he was just telling me that you can purchase "a chip" of which you have to have soldered on to the ps2 circuit board that will allow you to play back "burned" dvd's, cd's and vidgames. If anyone needs more info, just let me know and I'll ask him where he got his and all that good stuff.

As for this OT DVD set, I ordered mine because I was so impressed with Jedi Parntr's review and as soon as I get them, I'll make sure to add to this here thread! :) Thanks again JP for the info on these babies! ;)

JEDIpartner
04-22-2003, 03:45 PM
You are welcome... this is a really awesome fix if you can't wait until 2007-2008!

Darth Jax
04-22-2003, 08:45 PM
i received the set recently. anyone jonesing for a star wars fix should get them. now if only JP can find a way to get a 'true' original trilogy and not the special editions. still being able to sit down and watch the 5 movies consecutively is great. yes, i definitely will buy the 'official' box set when released. why not considering i have both the pan and scan and widescreen versions of AOTC already.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-23-2003, 08:39 PM
I received mine today!!! Woohoo!

I'm watching ANH right now and so far so good. I'm really impressed with the image quality! I'll write more of a review when I finish watching all 3.

A big thanks to JediPartnr for the recommendation and review of these babies! :) ;)

RussUAE
04-24-2003, 06:52 AM
The official SE original trilogy has been released on VCD - sadly my DVD player doesn't play VCDs so is of little use to me.

I can't wait to see what they do for bonus materials for the original trilogy dvds. I just loved the old Making of the Saga documentary there was.

JEDIpartner
04-24-2003, 10:01 AM
I know... I have the VCDs as well. The VCDs were what really prompted me into looking for the DVDs. The VCD copies are very low-res and a little painful to watch at times. The DVDs, on the other hand, are stellar transfers from the 1997 SE laserdiscs.

...and a big "you're welcome" to DNA! :happy:

Eternal Padawan
04-24-2003, 01:48 PM
My search for the original versions continues...

Deoxyribonucleic
04-24-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
My search for the original versions continues...

SAME here! :) But these are great for me to at least have them on the DVD before he butchers them even more when they are supposedly released in 2006.

Now if we could find someone with the Original, Original trilogy laserdiscs to make into DVDs, we'd be set! :D

JEDIpartner
04-25-2003, 08:01 AM
I was reading somewhere that ONE of the movies... I think it was ROTJ was available in its original version even though the other two in the "set" were the SE versions.

I suppose one could always start there! :rolleyes:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-25-2003, 11:04 AM
I found a guy selling the Original Trilogy on DVD, finally!! It set me back a tad, but now i'll have the SE and the non-SE. I'll post a review of it's quality/whatnot when i get them in a few days. Cheers!! :D

Deoxyribonucleic
04-25-2003, 11:10 AM
I did some checking on Ebay yesterday for the Orginal, orginal trilogy copied from the laserdiscs from the 80's and while there were some nice looking sets, there's NO WAY to tell what the quality of what you are getting is. I'm glad I got this 5 star collection because it was reviewed by several people and screen shots were available to actually see the quality of what you are getting. Plus first hand accounts from people here on SSG. Until I find something like that for the orginals (before SE) I'll stick with these, as I'm very happy with them. Would be nice to have both sets that's for sure! :D

So I finally finished watching them and everything the review website had to say and JP is true. It's an excellent purchase and the dvd's are store bought quality ALL THE WAY! From the quality of the movie to the DVD cover and the label on the dvd (it's not paper, it's just like any other dvd label you get).

I had a blast watching these films because it was the first time I've ever been able to watch them frame by frame and pausing and seeing a crisp, clear picture. I spent 20 minutes last night with ROTJ going frame by frame when Darth Vader gets electricuted by the Emperor, just checking out the skeletal effects - now that was cool!

Anyway, I'm extremely happy and satisfied with these DVD's! And I'm glad to have them before GL butchers the films even more!

:D:D:D:D