PDA

View Full Version : the Ring 2?

mylow thehutt
03-08-2003, 07:46 PM
:) Ok I just saw this movie for the second time and i'm hooked will there or is there any rumors of a sequel?any info will nice thanx

Beast
03-08-2003, 07:54 PM
The movie earning over 100 million at the box office, ensured we would get a sequel. Infact it's already being worked on, for 2004 release by Dreamworks. You can follow it's progress at the best "Ring" site on the net. The sequel will not follow the storylines of the Japanese sequels though.

And I'm frankly glad for that, as the "virus" explanation for how the tape kills people is a huge letdown. It should be kept more mysterious and supernatural, then trying to explain it away that way. Naomi Watts is in talks to reprise her roll as Rachel Keller. David Dorfman is also expected to return as Aidan. :)

RING 2 TO BE AN ORIGINAL STORY. 25 February, 2003.

Received the following e-mail from a person who wished to remain anonymous: A contact in DreamWorks has confirmed that meetings have taken place about Ring 2. It looks like Naomi Watts has been in talks to star again, and she is about to sign. She will pull in an estimated 15 million (unconfirmed publicly) for her reprisal of her role, and the child actor will return as her son. No concrete story has been proposed, but Director Gore Verbinski may not return. The writing team will reunite. Spielberg, Wes Craven or Sam Mendes may take over the project. The sequel will NOT have anything to do with the Japanese sequels.

A rough script will be in by December of this year. Hopefully, an October 2004 release date will be met. They will shoot for a 2 year anniversary.
http://ringworld.somrux.com/ring2american.htm

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
03-09-2003, 06:23 AM
I enjoyoed that movie :). I am very much looking forward to the sequel, however we know all the answers from the 1st movie so I can't see the sequel being any good.

PENDO!

12inch Lando
03-09-2003, 07:03 AM
The Ring 2: Electric Boogaloo? Ok, that's tired and worn out but I promise you it was funny at one time. This movie (The Ring) was seriously tempting me to purchase it the other night at Wal-Mart. I havn't seen it yet and everything I hear about it is positive. How's the soundtrack? Is it a good showcase for 5.1?

Eternal Padawan
03-09-2003, 08:11 AM
In the sequel there's a DVD killin' everybody...:rolleyes:

In the sequel, I think they should concentrate on who Lilo...er, I mean Samara is and where she came from. I mean, Rachel and Aidan are both out of danger, so where's the thrill? Wrestle with the morality of them passing killer tapes out to people?

12iL. The DVD has great sound and picture quality, but the extras are PEEYOUSA STINKOWHIFF!! As in there isn't bobkes on the disc except some trailers for other movies. Had I known, I might not have gotten it.

SQueek
03-09-2003, 10:30 AM
as much as i loved the ring im not sure if i want them to make a sequel. it just doesn't seem like it should be made, it was a perfect story and it had a fit ending. this looks like its going to be a movie all about the $$$ instead of just making a good frickin movie like the first one.

Beast
03-09-2003, 03:28 PM
That's probably what they'll do, according to rumors. It will be Rachel trying to discover the secrets of Samara. Just as long as they avoid some of the terrible ideas in the Japanese sequels. :)

Oh, Eternal Padawan. It was the director's decision to go light on extras. He didn't want to overly explain the film, as he thinks it's a movie that people should form their own opinions on and discuss. Hence no featurettes or audio commentary on the movie. There is always a chance of a double-dip SE in the future. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

sith_killer_99
03-09-2003, 06:37 PM
WOW, bring on the sequel!

I regret not seeing this in the theater. I bought the DVD as soon as it came out. Wal-Mart $15.00 or so, great deal. Anyway, I was very happy with the movie.

I had heard it compared to Feardotcom, WRONG!!!!! The Ring was everything that feardotcom should have been, but wasn't.

I've never heard of the Japanese sequels 'til now. What's the story with those? Did this movie hit Japan first? Is this a re-make from the original Japanese release?:confused:

Beast
03-09-2003, 07:09 PM
Feardotcom was complete trash. They rushed it into production as soon as Dreamworks bought the rights to the Japanese Ringu. The site I posted talks about the sequels, but basically they tried to explain away the reason the tape kills people. Like I said, keep it mysterious because the sequel explanation was lame.

Basically, the later Japanese sequels state that when you watch it the tape infects you with a mixture of 70% smallpox virus and 30% Sadeko (Samara in the US) DNA which kills you in 7 days. Unless you either make a copy of the tape, or meet some genetic match with Sadeko. If you do, she makes a clone of herself inside you, and it grows to full size in 7 days killing the host. Basically they sound like they are substandard sequels to an incredible film. You can read about the various "Ring" films at the site I posted above.

But yes, "The Ring" is a re-make of "Ringu", which is one of the biggest horror movies ever to come out of Japan. It's basically the same movie, but I think "The Ring" is a bit better, due to having a bit more plot about Samara. Not to mention the scene with the horse on the ferry, and such. Plus it's much more spooky/mysterious at times, as the whole scene with Aiden and his mother at the end ("You helped her? Why did you do that.") was created for the US version. Plus a few of the changes, especially who killed her, is much better. :)

http://ringworld.somrux.com/

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mrmiller
03-10-2003, 02:38 PM
I had heard rumor on one of the movie sites that a Prequel was actully in the works about the girl, Samara. You can imagine the how the movie would go, but I don't want to post possible spoilers to the Ring. You know what happened to her- but you don't know how or why.

=MATT=

Lman316
03-14-2003, 02:41 PM
I (with the exception of my oldest brother) must be the only person that didn't like The Ring.
I rented that on Monday. And then yesterday, I rented Fear.com. I liked the latter much better - at least it made some sense(although, I have to say that neither were scary, but at least Fear.com could stand up as a murder-mystery-type movie, even if it failed as a horror picture). The Ring, though, failed as anything but senseless garbage to me. It was horrible, IMO.

I consider myself to be fairly intelligent (arrogance will do that to a person), but I fail to understand this movie, or its attraction for that matter. It had a lot of potential, granted, but it just didn't live up to what I was hearing about it. It started out fine, but it just didn't go anywhere to me, and again, I bring up the fact that it was NOT scary. Why can't anyone come up with a movie that's scary anymore? The last decent "scary" movie I saw was Signs - that freaked the hell out of me. But everything I've seen since then hasn't compared.

I know that this will bring on much argument (I seem to do that when it comes to movies in the Other category :p), but maybe through a debate I can finally understand this stupid movie.

End...

The Overlord Returns
03-14-2003, 02:57 PM
The movie is full of plot holes, and relys on the same tired old child plot contrivance for it's moral message as well.

I felt it was a well done film, but it certainly could have benefited from better actors. It wasn't scary (well..not to me....my girlfriend ound it quite terrifying in spots)....However, it was better than most horror thrillers that get made...

A sequel would be pointless though.....hmmm..she watches the tape...again..somehow.....and forgets just how she managed to defeat samara the first time......until the end, of course ;)

preacher
03-23-2003, 10:17 PM
When I first saw the Ring I really didn't know what to think. I liked the brooding atmousphere. I agree it wasn't "jump-out-of-your-seat" scary, but I never considered it to be that type of movie anyway. I didn't get it either, but I didn't hate it.

In spite of my meandering feelings for this tale, I decided to purchase it. Over the last 6 months between the time I watched the movie in the theater and having watched it very recently my life has taken some dramatic twists. To make a long story short a dear friend of mind fight valiantly to win custoday of her little girl. The fight was killing her quite literally. She started down a dark path herself...not sleeping, not eating, just dying, or at least hoping to. There was nothing I could do, but watch and hope that she would pull through. She did. But the only way she could was to give up the fight and let her child go.

When I watched the Ring a second time, I understood the story. Unless my life had taken such an eerie turn - paralleling the Ring - I would not have understood it.

What I'm saying is I think those that don't understand the Ring should consider themselves fortunate. The "ghost story" plot is very cliche'. It still doesn't rank very high on horror, but to me the subtext to the whole story is very disturbing. Unless you witness a mother distance herself from a child to save her own life you will never fully grasp the Ring. IMO the screenwriter understood human psychology quite well. The characters are rich even if the main story is not.

If you watch the "bonus" footage on the DVD you realize that there were quite a few things that were cut from the movie, that I believe sow the seeds for the next movie. Plus, if you scroll all the way down past the footage text, there is a hidden portion that lets you play that manson-on-crack short from the movie.

12inch Lando
03-24-2003, 05:24 AM
Ok guys. I got The Ring last night at Wal-Mart based on the recomendations in this thread. This was before I read Lman316 and T.O.R.s reviews. It's still shrink wrapped, should I return it?:confused: LOL, oh well. I'm on vacation for the next 2 weeks so I should be able to get around to viewing it. I let you know how it goes.

Beast
03-24-2003, 05:37 AM
12Inch, their complaints center mostly on plot holes. Yet if your open, observent, and watch carefully everything is pretty much explained. I suggest cracking it open and giving it a watch. Terrific film, and more intelligent then some people consider. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

12inch Lando
03-24-2003, 07:28 AM
Thanks JJB. That settles that. The shrink wrap is in the trash!:D

The Overlord Returns
03-24-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
12Inch, their complaints center mostly on plot holes. Yet if your open, observent, and watch carefully everything is pretty much explained. I suggest cracking it open and giving it a watch. Terrific film, and more intelligent then some people consider. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Well...I disagree with JJB's notion that the plot holes are filled in the film. I always watch movies intently, and believe me...they still exist, no matter how astute you are...in fact, the closer you watch the film, the more obvious the plotholes become.

However, keep the DVD by all means. It is worth owning. I would suggest watching the original Japanese version, if you haven't already. It is the superior film.

Beast
03-24-2003, 04:03 PM
I don't really know what plot holes your referring to, as it's all pretty much explained in on screen info. The only real mystery that isn't totally 100% answered, was just why Samara was the way she was. But there are clues to that, that will be expanded and lead into The Ring 2. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

The Overlord Returns
03-24-2003, 04:36 PM
No, the clues to that were obvious enough.......

can you say demon people????

The problem is that their are ideas, and bits of plot picked from not only Ringu, but the subsequent japanese sequels that, while explained in those films, are left dangling here.

For instance......it is never explained WHY the horse freaked out when the heroine came into contact with it. However, those who have studied the japanese ring series understood this easily enough. Those friends of mine who had not, and still have not, are puzzled to know just why this scene occured.

On a similar line, it is never explained why bits of the video begin to come alive in the real world.

Why did Samaras father have all that nifty technical equipment in...HIS BATHROOM???? Was he waiting to off himself in the most dramatic and creepy way possible?

Then their is the intense stupidity of Rachel herself. Allowing her ex husband to watch the tape? Leaving it around willy nilly for her son to view? And finally, the story alone makes no sense. The obvious answer is to make a copy by the son. destroy the other two and then show the tape to someone who is either terminally ill or deserves to die (the deleted bits would have helped here).

Finally, there is the problem of the teenage girl who winds up in the mental hospital after the girl dies at the movies opening. Why does she have to walk behind the cloth divider? AND, how does she know that rebecca has watched the tape, let alone has 4 days left? Again, same with the horse problem, this is explained in the japanese series, but here is left dangling......it was used haphazardly for a cool scene, and to advance the plot, yet leaves questions in it's wake.

Don't get me wrong, it was yards better than most hollywood attempts at horror...still...it is not free of problems.

Beast
03-24-2003, 06:25 PM
Well, it's a bit more complex then demon people. Note that Anna Morgan had a child she was never meant to have. Her numerous miscarriges point to the fact to that. Then she goes away and comes back pregnent. The medical files in the mental hospital, include a paper of Japanese writing with the word Anna on it. People have translated the writing, and it's various herbs and such that helpted her to conceive. So they went to Japan and with the help of some unknown means, she was able to get pregnant and carry the child.

Samara hated the horses, because they kept her up at night. And because her daddy loved the horses more then her. She drove the horses on the ranch to commit suicide, by showing them stuff that drove them mad. When Rachel comes in contact with the horse on the ferry, it sensed similar things from her. So it was trying to get away from her. Leading to it jumping off the ferry to it's death. Rachel seems to just carry this massive negative energy, that the horse picked up on. It can also explain the photographs in the same manner. Remeber what Richard Morgan tells Rachel. That perhaps horses are able to sense things before we do.

Samara has psyhic abilities, including some precognition. Note the fact also contains her mother's suicide, even though it occured after her death. The videotape offered clues to the people for how to find her. In reality only 3 of the images actually relate to things that Rachel or Noah encounter in real life. The churning blood in the water, relates to the horse that kills itself on the ferry. It could also relate to Anna's pregnancy problems, since some of the tape footage we don't see relates to that. The Fly walking in a circle, relates to the fly on the door to the records room in the mental hospital. The maggots and flies, also relate to what would have happened to her body in the well. Since maggots would have fed on her body, and then became flies. Note the large number of flies that come out of the well when it's opened. One may have walked around on Samara's eye (in a circular shape), after she was dead. And the ladder relates to the one outside Noah's apartment, but really is the one in the barn on the Morghan ranch.

He was moving all the electronic equipment in the house into the bathroom to commit suicide. He may have seen the tape before, he does ask Rachel if that was the only one. So maybe another reporter in the past and put two and two together and been nosing around. He even says that she'll never stop showing you things. Meaning he's lived for years with the things that Samara burned into his mind. And Rachel coming back, dredged all the pain and suffering back up for him.

She didn't just let him watch the tape, he insisted. Plus at that time she didn't totally believe the whole deal either. She knew somthing was going on, but she didn't know what. As for how her son found the tape, it's never explained where he got it. Maybe he took it from his mom's purse. Or the babysitter that was there, was looking for a tape to watch and put that one in. We never are told if she ended up being infected and dieing. So she very well could have.

Showing the tape her son made, won't stop Samara. She's free now, unbound by the well. Before the well focused her mental energies straight up, so she could only effect the cabin above her. Now she's being taken to a cemetary, to be buried. She can effect any VCR's that she comes close enough to on the way there. Not to mention if the cemetary is in a big city. Remeber also that this isn't the first and only tape. Who knows how many are actually floating around out there. The cabin had been there for some time, and from the conversation with the two girls at the beginning of the film, the existance of the tapes, had become a matter of suburban legend.

The girl in the mental hospital, saw Samara come out of the televison and take her friend. That's why she looks to the TV when she's walking past. She wasn't killed by Samara, because she hadn't actually seen the tape. But some of Samara's psychic energies did transfer to her. That's why she can tell how long Rachel has to live. She just knows. That was meant to leave a question, which will likely be expanded on in the sequel. Even if it's not, the fact that she walks with the curtain infront of her, when passing the TV room, and looks so freaked out at seeing the TV makes it somewhat clear what happened. You just have to think about it. I figured that out, long before I heard about Ringu 2.

http://ringworld.somrux.com/faq2.htm

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

preacher
03-24-2003, 10:13 PM
Nicely put Jar jar. Clearly, the ring is one of those movies that you have to watch a couple times to catch everything. Like jar jar pointed out there are subtleties throughout the movie that provide clues to some of what are seemingly "plot holes". Animals have a sixth sense about people. I've seen horses go completely nutty around some people, and then be docile around others. Rachel had a curse placed on her, the horse knew it, just as it knew that whatever placed the curse hated horses.

The one thing that failed for me was the ending. However, as I said in my last post, there was footage left out of the final version of the movie that would have made the ending perfect. Apparently, we were supposed to see Rachel deliver the copy of the tape to a local video store and then rent a couple cartoons for her son. I think this would have illustrated clearly what the writer of the story was getting at, that no matter how good a person may be, we are capable of great evil if it means there is a chance that that person, or that person's loved ones will survive. Sure, having Rachel go to some AIDS patient and showing them the tape would have been a nice fluffy potpourri ending, but it would not have driven in the stories message.

The Overlord Returns
03-25-2003, 10:06 AM
However JJB........did you know all this on your first viewing? Without ever visiting Ringworld. com, or watching and studying the japanese original films?

Yes, those who have prior knowledge of the ring story know why all these things happen, and we can spew out the answers. However, for someone who has ONLY watched the ring remake?

Ya know...those people that do't have the ringworld links at the end of their posts? ;)

SQueek
03-26-2003, 04:04 PM
Man the more i read about this movie on forums the more interesting it becomes.

12inch Lando
03-27-2003, 07:32 AM
Not gonna read these posts till I watch the movie...Not gonna read these posts till I watch the movie...Not gonna read these posts till I watch the movie...Not gonna read these posts till I watch the movie...Not gonna read these posts till I watch the movie...Not gonna read these posts till I watch the movie...Not gonna read these posts till I watch the movie...Not gonna read these posts till I watch the movie...Not gonna read these posts till I watch the movie...Not gonna read these posts till I watch the movie...Not gonna read these posts till I watch the movie...Not gonna read these posts till I watch the movie...:crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

12inch Lando
03-27-2003, 07:36 AM
Hey Overlord, I can't believe you ditched Galactus for The Joker!!! Sorry, just letting my Marvel bias slip through. Although Galactus would ***** slap Joker into dispersed molecules.:p

The Overlord Returns
03-27-2003, 09:26 AM
Dude....that wasn't Galactus....

It was Professor X wearing cerebra and holding a gun to his head...

I just got bored with it....and the joker is the greatest villain of all time....

12inch Lando
03-27-2003, 10:41 AM
Dude... if you say so, but in my handy dandy Marvel Encyclopedia that's sitting right in front of me that picture is Galactus. One of two pictures of him by Alex Ross on his page. Now if you want to say that this book is wrong then that's not a point that I can argue. You obviously got that picture confused with this one. http://www.madreview.com/images8/panel_xmen114.jpg

The Overlord Returns
03-27-2003, 12:24 PM
Yeah...the pic you have there is the one that I had.........it's drawn by Frank Quitely....you might just be confused because of the cropped size....

12inch Lando
03-27-2003, 09:54 PM
Yes, the picture of Galactus was cropped.

The Overlord Returns
03-28-2003, 09:38 AM
No, I cropped the picture of Prof X that you posted above....

12inch Lando
03-28-2003, 12:59 PM
...and accidently posted the Galactus pic and used it as your avitar for months on end.

The Overlord Returns
03-28-2003, 01:09 PM
Ok you lost me on your last post......

but here.......attached is the ACTUAL cropped avatar I used, it IS Prof x...same as the pic you posted up there.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-28-2003, 05:24 PM
well, just got done watching a VHS copy of the film (my DVD player aka: ps2 is under maintenence) and i enjoyed it immensely. It's definately a movie you have to watch a few times and put the film together yourself ala "Memento" I also loved how basically this cycle will never stop at all. The only way to not die yourself is to in fact, give the tape to somebody else and have them watch it.

JJB- However, i'm not quite sure what you mean how Samara's powers will be greater now. I didn't think she could infilitrate any VCR at her will, just those who have watched the tape. I don't think she'll go around killing random folks, just those who watched the actual tape itself. I don't think her being out of the well should make her a killing machine, it just makes her out of the well!! Then again, i might be lacking some logic here, so if you can, explain that theory. thanks!

In closing, great great flick!! Definately on my "Must buy" list o' DVD's. Cheers! :D

James Boba Fettfield
03-29-2003, 08:45 AM
Yes, on the recommendation of Lord Malakite I bought this movie to watch over my spring break. I enjoyed, though I didn't think it as good as "Below." It's cool how they think the girl is all abused and mistreated, then they find out she was like a murderous little *****. I think the scene where she comes out of the tv was worth the $20 alone I paid for the dvd. Creepy stuff I say, glad I bought it.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-29-2003, 10:43 AM
I agree BFF, that scene was totally sweet. I also loved what Katie and Noah's faces looked like. After i first saw Katie's face, i had to rewind it and pause it for a second look. My mom however, freaked and threw her blanket over her eyes....after i rewound it, she was like, "Ok, can i look now?" i giggled and said, "Yes, of course, mother!" and she knew it was paused right on Katie's bloated corpse. She then threw the TV remote at me and i unpaused it. heheheehehehe Good times! :D

sith_killer_99
03-29-2003, 11:03 AM
After i first saw Katie's face, i had to rewind it and pause it for a second look.

Yes, the corpses were much better in the US version than the original Japanese version. Much scarier and much more grotesque.

BTW, has anyone else watched Ringu yet? I mean besides JJB and TOR.

I rented it, but there were some pretty big revisions from Ringu to The Ring. Like the fact that the mom had these psychic abilities.

Beast
03-30-2003, 04:04 AM
Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute
JJB- However, i'm not quite sure what you mean how Samara's powers will be greater now. I didn't think she could infilitrate any VCR at her will, just those who have watched the tape. I don't think she'll go around killing random folks, just those who watched the actual tape itself. I don't think her being out of the well should make her a killing machine, it just makes her out of the well!! Then again, i might be lacking some logic here, so if you can, explain that theory. thanks!
I mean in regard to what she can effect. She's no longer out in the middle of nowhere. And having her psychic energies focused straight up twords the VCR above the well. Heaven help it if they pass a VHS mass duplication company on the way to the cemetary. She could imprint on all those VHS tapes. We don't know yet if she can effect DVD or not. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

icatch9
03-31-2003, 10:11 AM
Just watched this movie this weekend. It was good. I'm a bit of a baby when it comes to scary movies. I admit it, I am not ashamed :eek: :eek: :eek: . It's because my mom made me watch Poltergeist (SP?) when I was like 3, stupid mom :stupid: .

Anyway, I enjoyed the film and thought it was as much intellectual as it was spooky. This one really made you think. My fiancÚ and I had to discuss it for a while just to figure it all out. I didn't think it had that many plot holes. There was only one thing that went unexplained in my mind. Which was why it was such a big deal that she was out of the well. She didn't seem to have a problem killing before while she was in the well, so what makes her more powerful now. Reading JJB posts explains it a bit more. She out now and has more reach. See, I didn't realize that ghosts were limited, I always thought ghosts where omnipresent. That doesn't seem to be the case in this movie.

Oh, and when she came out of the TV. Oh, my god :eek: :eek: ! Made me want to get a proton pack and spread Jello on the kitchen floor (Cosby fans will know why :D).

Beast
09-11-2003, 02:50 PM
First Naomi Watts. And now Daveigh Chase (Samara) has signed on the dotted line to return for the sequel to the blockbuster horror movie, "The Ring". Hopefully she'll not have aged too much. :p :)

Beast
12-17-2003, 01:54 PM
The Ring 2's Teaser Poster just came out, and annoucing a November 2004 release date. After the first one was so good, I have high hopes for the sequel. But we'll see. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

sith_killer_99
12-17-2003, 08:13 PM
YES, I can't wait for this to come out! :D

Beast
01-19-2004, 05:29 PM
More news, from Sci-Fi Wire:

Chase Scares Up Ring 2

Daveigh Chase, the young actress who played the evil Samara Morgan in The Ring, told SCI FI Wire that she reprises her ghostly character in the sequel. "I will [go back to work] soon," Chase said in an interview. "They're going to start filming in March. Unfortunately, I can't say anything about it, [but] it will definitely be horrifying."

Chase added that the producers have not even shown her the script yet. "They're waiting until the last minute [to show me]," she said. "I'm pretty sure I'll get to kill everybody again. That'll be fun." DreamWorks plans to release The Ring 2 on Nov. 10.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

sith_killer_99
01-19-2004, 07:43 PM
Mahalo!

:D

Beast
01-24-2004, 04:20 PM
More info on the coming sequel:

We're gently placing this one in the "rumor" category for now, but Garth over at Dark Horizons got some interesting news about the future of the Ring franchise today that we thought you should hear about.

A scooper only calling himself "Underwear" wrote in a said that Dreamworks is jettisoning the first 35 pages of Ehren Kruger's script for the sequel, which is supposedly a pretty detailed background on Samara's origins, and concentrating on making that part of the story it's own movie. The reason this is in question, at least on my part, is that Dreamworks has said from the time the sequel was announced that it would contain both sequel and prequel elements. However, since everyone in Hollywood feels that a story cannot be told unless it's done over three films (The Matrix should've shown them otherwise...), it's really not all that surprising if it's true.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
03-10-2004, 12:31 PM
Looks like they're going to need a new director for 'The Ring 2'. Noam Murro was up for the directing task, but had to drop out over 'personal issues'. Hopefully they'll just bring back Gore Verbinski, who directed the first film. Here's the info from Creature Corner and Sci-Fi.Com. :)

Well, this is an interesting turn of events I'd have to say. Variety is reporting that director Noam Murro has left the production of The Ring 2 due to creative differences. Murro was set to helm the Ehren Kruger-penned follow up but apparently there was something about the script he just couldn't get past.

Dreamworks called the split "mutual" and say they have every intention of working with the "extraordinarily gifted actor" in the future, which could either be lip service to make it all sound better than it is, or the God's honest truth. Or a bit of both.

There is the chance that Murro's leaving was due to issues in his personal life, though that would've been more than likely cited as the reason for his departure rather than creative differences. Truth is we will probably never know. Dreamworks still plans to release the film, which Naomi Watts and David Dorfman are already signed on to return to, on November 11th. The hunt for a new director is on.

Noam Murro has dropped out of directing Ring 2, the sequel to the 2002 hit horror film, Variety reported. The TV commercial director parted company with DreamWorks due to "creative differences," the trade paper reported.

DreamWorks told the trade paper that Ring 2's release date remains Nov. 10. A new director is expected to be named as soon as this week, the trade paper added.

Gore Verbinski directed the first Ring, which generated a surprising $129 million at the domestic box office and $120 million overseas. Naomi Watts and David Dorfman are returning for the sequel, written by Ehren Kruger, who also penned the original, the trade paper reported.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
03-11-2004, 01:54 PM
Intresting. Sounds like we may get the director of Ringu, to direct the sequel. According to Variety and Creature corner anyway. :)

And just like that, the search may be over...

We, along with pretty much every other news website out there, reported yesterday that Noam Murro has walked away from directing duties on The Ring 2 because of creative differences. Remember? I mean, it was just yesterday...

Anyway, Variety is now reporting that Hideo Nakata, director of the Japanese Ringu on which the U.S. remake was based, is in negotiations to make his American directorial debut with The Ring 2. He was originally set to make said debut with True Believers for MGM, but that project fell through.

I dug The Ring, I really did, so I was looking forward to the sequel just as much as any horror fan. Knowing it might come under the direction of Nakata, though, amplifies that excitement by about 10 fold. Here's hoping this comes through!
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
04-15-2004, 02:24 PM
A couple updates about the coming film. Sadly the actress that played Samara has dropped out of the picture. She's decided that it's not necissary for her to be there, since they are hiding her face. And she's hardly in the picture. Also we have a script review for the film. Sounds good so far. :)

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/505/505404p1.html
http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/506/506159p1.html

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-11-2005, 05:17 PM
Full trailer is up: http://www.apple.com/trailers/dreamworks/the_ring_two/trailer/

I don't know about this "She wants to be him" business. It doesn't make too much sense to me. But eh, decent trailer! :D

James Boba Fettfield
01-11-2005, 06:40 PM
I can understand the direction their taking with trying to bring a new approach to Samara so she just is not a threat when one watches the tape. What I cannot understand is why she wants to be Aidan. Further torment of Rachel? Mess with the family a little more? She obviously shows no care about being freed from the well as shown by the end of the first film. I just hope this one does not drop off in quality like their Japanese counterparts did.