PDA

View Full Version : Stargate SG-1

keith koth
03-10-2003, 03:37 PM
Does anyone watch Stargate SG-1?

What do you think of it?

James Boba Fettfield
03-10-2003, 04:28 PM
I really enjoy the show. It kind of makes the movie's end a little dumb, seeing how Daniel comes back to Earth and his wife is captured, and eventually dies. I don't know, but if you follow the series it makes the end of the movie less of an ending, well to me anyway.

Anakin2121
03-10-2003, 05:23 PM
I rather liked the show's first few seasons, but the latest few have been weak. The show's starting to get tired.

JediTricks
03-10-2003, 06:30 PM
I didn't like the first season, but everything after that has been good up until Daniel died and left the series. Jonas Quinn just isn't interesting enough and they seem to be taking too many liberties. However, I still watch and enjoy, though last Friday's ep had a really awful set-up - straight out of TNG.

keith koth
03-11-2003, 12:14 PM
I have always found SG-1 entertaining. However, since the show has moved from Showtime to the Sci-fi channel and they have gotten rid of Daniel Jackson, the show has started a gradual decline. I kinda like Jonas Quinn, although he is no Daniel.

I think the stories have gotten weak over the past season or two. There is still an ocassional episode that reminds me of the earlier seasons of SG-1, but now it seems like they spend too much time on Earth battling the politicians rather than exploring "off world" for new alien races/technology.

I am still waiting (years after their first mention) to find out who the "Ancients" (the most superior race of beings in the universe) are.

Will we ever see an alliance (i.e., SG-1, Tokra, Azcar, Knox, etc.) join together to finally defeat the Gould or the Replacators?

I also would like to know what Anubis look like under his hooded cloak. Is Anubis the reincarnation of Apophis?

These are just a few of the plot lines I would like to see followed up in future episodes.

Overall, I still love the show and will probably continue to watch it well after they have driven the story into the ground.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
03-11-2003, 12:51 PM
Every chance I'll get, I'll watch it.

JediTricks
03-12-2003, 12:47 AM
Keith, I thought the replicators (easily my least-favorite sci-fi villains ever) were effectively defeated when SG1 stopped time on the Asgard homeworld.

Lord Malakite
03-12-2003, 01:34 AM
I like the show quite a bit, especially the explanation of the gods from ancient times being aliens. Stargate: SG-1 is certainly better than its cartoon counterpart, Stargate: Infinity.

keith koth
03-12-2003, 10:35 AM
Keith, I thought the replicators (easily my least-favorite sci-fi villains ever) were effectively defeated when SG1 stopped time on the Asgard homeworld.

Yes you are correct. Although I could swear I remember them saying that the time-warp that the replacators were caught in was only a temporary fix.

It would be nice if the replacators were permanently gone though; because, as you said, the replacators are not great sci-fi villains.

JediTricks
03-12-2003, 11:32 AM
Yes, a temporary 400-year fix while the Asgard work on the problem. When that ep ended, I hoped that they'd simply let the issue drop for the rest of the series, but I kinda get the feeling they will bring them back one more time.

keith koth
03-12-2003, 11:43 AM
Yes, a temporary 400-year fix while the Asgard work on the problem. When that ep ended, I hoped that they'd simply let the issue drop for the rest of the series, but I kinda get the feeling they will bring them back one more time.

I get the same feeling!

Keep in mind that, while traped in the time-warp, the replicators have evolved into a human form with great powers. I get the feeling we may see them in more than just one future episode.

Oh well, maybe the replicators will be more interesting sci-fi villians in a human form rather than the mechanical insect form.

JediTricks
03-14-2003, 12:10 AM
That was sped-up time though, they modified the time warping device to do that. Now they're caught in slowed-down time. But I'm sure we're right and they'll be back. As humanoids, I feel like they're too similar to Star Trek's Borg race and that the "good guy" one that Sam tricked is gonna be the "Hugh Borg" character next time we meet him.

JediTricks
03-22-2003, 01:05 AM
SPOILERS AHOY!

Daniel is back! Daniel is back! During tonight's season finale on SFC, they aired an ad saying that the next season was coming in June and Michael Shanks was returning to the cast. Yay!

As for tonight's ep, it was fairly entertaining, though a little unbalanced. Also, the revelation of the Ancients was a little disappointing to me, only because they were humans that came before the Go'auld.

JediTricks
03-25-2003, 10:26 PM
Just read the confirmation today, the advanced Replicators WILL be coming back this season - I hope it's just 1 ep.

keith koth
03-26-2003, 01:02 PM
Daniel is coming back...I knew it was only a matter of time. :D

I hope they finish off the replicators for good next season.

Well, at least we now know who the Ancients are.

Anubis is an Ancient/Gould :eek: ...that is one heck of a plot twist.

I am now very excited about the next seasons story line.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-16-2003, 04:28 PM
I really love the show but have only seen it on syndication (I think the episodes air a year after they are shown first-run). I finally got Dish last year and found out the series was moved to SciFi, which was good because the local Fox affiliate runs them at strange hours so I never get to watch.

I finally saw some newer ones on Friday. I guess they were the two parts of the new season opener. I didn't know who Anubis was or what the situation was with the SGC except that Shanks wasn't on the show anymore.

I thought the show was good except all of the sudden the SGC has these new ships and weapons to smack up the Goa'ulds. To me it seemed like a big jump from where they were a year or so ago.

What I didn't like was the blatant ripoff the show did on Star Wars. Sam and O'Neil had to use a spacefighter to jump through Anubis' ship's shields then launch a missile to blow up a new superweapon. The footage of the missiles hitting the weapon's shaft port was straight out of ANH. An even bigger copycat was CG'd footage of the missiles flying through the superstructure of the ship a la the Millenium Falcon in the DS2 innards and hitting a reactor core that looked almost exactly like the DS2 core. The production crew could have save tons of $ by using ROTJ footage then pasting the missiles over the Rebel ships.

I thought it was pretty funny. Don't know if it was a homage to G.Lu or not.

JediTricks
06-16-2003, 05:12 PM
It was definitely an homage, it was too close to the original sequences yet clearly all new f/x.

I thought the 2 parter that opened the new season was ok, but nothing anywhere near as spectacular as the story should have been. Lots of backpeddling on how much damage Anubis' ship took until the end. Hopefully, the new season will be good though, nice to have Dr Jackson back.

BTW, Anubis was a lesser Go'auld who ascended to a higher plane to join the ancients but was cast back down from their ranks to be stuck in between the 2 planes of existence, and has used the powers and knowledge from this to take over... everything. Dr Jackson died saving Jonas Quinn and his whole planet from destruction when they were monkeying with a high-power form of naquidah (sp?) that was local to Quinn's planet; Jackson ascended to the ancients where he eventually figured out all sorts of interesting things like where Atlantis (the lost city of the ancients) is and who Anubis is. The SGC, in the meantime, having been given the naquidah-offshoot naquadria by Jonas Quinn, was working with the material to power several hyperspace-powered starships; unfortunately, the material proved too unstable and difficult to work with for long periods of time.

Dr Zoltar
06-16-2003, 05:27 PM
Nice summary JediTricks! It will also be explained this season why Quinn's planet, and only Quinn's planet, has Naquadria.