PDA

View Full Version : 2003 figures: Production vs Pictures

Jerjerrod
03-10-2003, 08:45 PM
I just purchased the new Boba Fett - Pit of Carkoon figure the other day, and thought it was an alright figure. The colours were a bit bright and simple though, as no extra paint detail was put into the production version. But the main thing that bothered me were the pictures shown on the back of the card, the prototype pictures if you will. Those pictures show the Boba Fett that I (and probably every other collector) really would have wanted instead: accurate paint colours and details, shown in various good poses (compared to the messed up knee in the package), and the most important thing, is the missile on his backpack. The pictures on the back show Boba sporting a realistic missile with a sculpted tip, whereas the actual toy, it's a blue knob that you press down to activate his stupid action feature. I don't mind the action feature because it's hidden, but atleast it should have looked the way he does on the back of the card. Seriously, how much more work does it take Hasbro to give us a better missile shape, or how much more hazardous is a realistic looking missile compared to a fake plastic knob???

Hasbro, there is no excuse for this outrage.

Beast
03-10-2003, 08:58 PM
The pictures are usually the prototypes. Just like the picture of Mace: Arena Confrontation still shows the incorrect light brown plastic cloak, instead of the correct brown soft goods one. The knee is somewhat odd, but had to be there for two reasons. His rocketdart kneepad prevents it from being placed further up. Plus it allows you to pose him, from when he lands on the Tatooine Skiff. In the movie he had that one leg bent back slightly.

Hasbro places a disclaimer on the back of their cards for this reason. "Product and colors may vary." I would have prefered a more accurate missle myself, atleast looking like Boba's and they could have rounded the tip off, to prevent jabbing your finger. I'll probably take the backpack off an old boba, and make a custom tip to slip over the button. Otherwise, it's not a bad figure. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jerjerrod
03-11-2003, 12:10 AM
I agree, it's not a bad figure. I actually like it too, but it's just the missile that bothers me. To think in 2003, they might further improve on even their most successful POTJ line, but nooooo, somebody there decided Boba Fett's gonna have a blue plastic stick hanging out of his rocket pack. :rolleyes:

I know the pictures shown on the back are "prototypes", what I don't understand is why they deviate from it when it's a near-perfect figure. Like you said, if the tip is too pointy, round it off. But at least give us something that resembles a missile. Further, almost every pistol or lightsaber that comes with any other figure is considered sharp or hazardous anyway, if you think about it. I think this is a perfect example of how Hasbro disturbed the sculpt of a figure due to action features. Just because a person has to "press" on the missile to activate arms, don't mean "out with the missile, in with a blue stick".

I know quality is improving, especially with the removal of "action features" and all, and I am equally as optimistic with the 2004 figures like everybody else. But this, I just don't understand. Bottom line: Hasbro deprived fans from a near-perfect Fett that they were 100% capable of delivering, and instead, gave us something else that they thought was "good enough".

See the figure that "could've been" for yourself.

JEDIpartner
03-11-2003, 10:02 AM
no... they gave us what they thought would be "fun."

joy. :zzz:

Jargo
03-11-2003, 01:36 PM
There's nothing to prevent the knee from moving properly at the corect knee bending point. The sculpt is just lazy work. It would have worked if they had the knee pad extend over the top of the knee joint to hide it from the front but instead they skimped on the sculpting and gave us a Boba Fett with a broken shin bone. But then again hasbro seems to be employing amateur sculptors these days so what else could we really expect? Next thing they'll be sub-contracting the work out to the bootleg producers for that real kwality feel.

jblodgett
03-11-2003, 05:19 PM
Yet another Fett pegwarmer.....

He joins Jango Fett (Kamino Escape), Boba Fett (Kamino Escape), Jango Fett (Final Battle), Jango Fett (Deluxe) and last, but certainly not least [there seem to be more and more and more of him at my local wal-mart] Jango Fett (Slave I Pilot).

Thank god for the Jango Fett preview figure. Even with his action pose, he is by far the best Jango Fett created to date.