PDA

View Full Version : Would you prefer that Hasbro dropped the action features or not?

Tycho
03-11-2003, 02:32 AM
Action features: to be or not to be. That is the discussion.

Emperor Jargo contributes a question for the polls:

Would you prefer that Hasbro dropped the action features or not?

James Boba Fettfield
03-11-2003, 02:41 AM
I didn't vote. My vote would be do whatever the hell you want with the toy line, they look good from inside the package with action features, or without. Basically, I haven't been affected by it, but I can sympathize with the people who open their toys.

Beast
03-11-2003, 03:13 AM
Umm, nice poll Tycho. But isn't it really a pretty moot point right now? Especially after Hasbro's Press Release from when Luke: Jedi 2003 and 2004, were revealed? :confused:

While kids love the cool action features, the wave of figures including Luke, Darth Vader and the Snowtrooper will be the last wave for 2003 with action features.
Doesn't mean that we won't see them in 2004, but it's highly unlikely. But Hasbro has to leave a little wiggle room. They can't state 100% that they never will be back. Like Commtech Chips, Hasbro realized that many didn't really care for them. And things like magnets/removable limbs don't really fall under Action Features anyway. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

karinations
03-11-2003, 03:31 AM
"Acton"features are lame.
If i want them to do something i'll do it myself like i did in the 70's and 80's.
The price for these "features"is high.
Everytime i go looking through my figures i get half a Darth Maul the legs of a Battle Droid,handless Luke's and Anakins..
I thought i lost Jango's head like 5 times i almost opened a sealed one thinking i'd lost it for good one time..
I don't like having to root around for parts of bodies.
If you're going to do detachable parts DON"T use the magents make em like the green card POTF Bespin Luke so they snap on.
Aside from the lost limbs all the "shooting" and Jedi"powers"=big stupid levers and no articulation.
Who are they making these for?
I know(mainly)kids,but most kids don't need help playing..

-V-

http://www.karinations.com
http://www.citizenv.com

Jerjerrod
03-11-2003, 03:44 AM
Drop them. Even though we already know it will happen this year for sure. It's the worst thing to happen to figures ever. And while they're at it, drop the action poses too.

skeeziks22
03-11-2003, 04:29 AM
The big clunky action features, like the Mace Windu swinging his lightsaber figure looks bad. The action features that require the figure to be unposeable, like Pandme' Quick Draw are bad also.

BUT, I like the removeable limbs and heads and masks etc. I like the flying R2 coming out also. Launching missiles are less likeable, but fun also... line 'em up and Fett will knock 'em down.

I agree w/ Jererrod though... drop the action poses... Luminara can't just stand there... Do action poses like the Tantive IV defender... he can stand, sit, kneel, and pray if he wants...

Best thing that can come from dropping action features... Hasbro will have no reason to keep making the same *&$#@ figure over and over again!!!

JEDIpartner
03-11-2003, 10:57 AM
Well... I can't say that I have ever LOST any of these parts like karinations has. That, to me, is like losing the guns and lightsabers and helmets. "Just be a little more careful with your toys" as my mother used to say.

The action features that "slash", "throw", "launch (like the spring-loaded arms) or "quick draw" are among the WORST offenders in this line. The light up and sound feature on Artoo wasn't bad, but I'd only like to see this on figures that can accomodate such features. The Deluxe Jango Fett #1 was horrid because of the unreasonable sizeof his backpack.

Action poses are another thing I can live without. When we were kids and had the vintage line... our adventures were limitless. The problem with the poses are that the LIMIT what a figure can do. :sad:

Darkross
03-11-2003, 11:13 AM
Drop the action features...too bad the Jedi Luke we're getting will probably be stuck with his arms up in the air...instead of a fighting stance.

NRPeace
03-11-2003, 11:58 AM
Leave them for the deluxe figs.

LusiferSam
03-11-2003, 12:47 PM
I'm in between remove them and refine them. On the one hand a number of them, like the quick draws and slashers, are lame and I'm sure prone to breakage. But on the other I like the removable limbs and with a little more these would work well. And I have to confess that if I were a kid I'd the magnetic lightsaber so I kind of like them now.
In the long run I'd like to the action features dropped, but for the short term refining them is what I'd rather see.

Imperial Loyalist
03-11-2003, 01:10 PM
I voted not sure.

For an adult collector most are kinda lame. I also hate the fact I have more Jango Fetts than I do Clone Troopers.

That said, after reading the posts I do feel the need to collect Anakins with detachable hands and Vaders with detachable helmets...someone should make a song about this.

Most of the moveable limb stuff is crap and looks like crap i.e. "Hunchback Mace Windu with Slashing Action".

I am more interested in "Expanded Universe Stuff" though probably not marketable with the under 14 set.

So I am definately leaning towards getting rid of the "hunch back gang" in 2004-05.

Kidhuman
03-11-2003, 01:15 PM
They should be abolished. Half of them do not work right and I hate the buttons that stick out on them. I know they could be refined but they should just do away with them completely

jawa01
03-11-2003, 01:39 PM
I like the removable parts like hands, arms and heads. The rest I can do without. No more quick-draw or slashing type of actions. Thanks. :cool:

stillakid
03-11-2003, 03:12 PM
I said, "yes, drop them." That is, I'm not real keen on "features" requiring weird levers or bizarre poses (like the Force Flipping).

Removable hands, helmets, masks, and other "movie realistic" features are great and I hope they continue with that trend.

Deoxyribonucleic
03-11-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Jerjerrod
Drop them. Even though we already know it will happen this year for sure. It's the worst thing to happen to figures ever. And while they're at it, drop the action poses too.

Yeah, and I STILL can't get over that "action pose" of POTF General Lando....WHEN in the movie was he EVER in that pose?

hehe:crazed:

Darth Evil
03-11-2003, 03:27 PM
I don't like the action features, especially when they put a button or wheel on the figure's back. Bespin Luke would've been the perfect figure without that button.

dr_evazan22
03-11-2003, 05:16 PM
I voted to drop them, the sooner the better.

Quote from Stillakid:

"Removable hands, helmets, masks, and other "movie realistic" features are great and I hope they continue with that trend."

Ditto that.

bobafrett
03-11-2003, 08:42 PM
I being one who does not play with his action figures, really dooesn't have much to say on this. I did vote though, because the ones I do take out of the package, seem okay, though some of the big buttons, just detract from an otherwise nice figure. I do like removable limbs and heads!

jeffonthego
03-11-2003, 11:51 PM
Like the break-apart magnets (Maul, Battle Droid) and don't mind the wrap-around force effect (Yoda).

Why these? Simply because, you can ignore these features and the toys are unaffected.

But, this is not the case for the bigger features (eg, slashing sabre). My Dooku won't even stand on his own, and even if I lean him against something, he still looks all contorted from the slash effect.

So, he can't stand normally with Palpatine, Vader and Maul. Simply put, he sucks!

And as for the shooting effect that requires extra tubes along the arms (one version of Jango - or is that for the rope? - and a Destroyer Droid) - they just look terrible. Didn't even bother buying.

All in all though, more bad than good. Drop the whole thing!

Green Jedi
03-12-2003, 01:39 AM
Remember Super Powers? They had the "squeeze the legs to move the arms" action. The nice thing about them, though, was that you could still move the arms on your own without that horrible cracking sound. Something like that, and action feature that would still allow for full poseability, is the only kind I like. And sounds. Sounds are sometimes ok, too. As long as they sound good and aren't too bulky.

jedihunter25
03-12-2003, 02:30 AM
I HATE ACTION FEATURES!!!! They are the main reason why there are so many problems in this line of figs today-

- So many collectors lost intrest -(like a friend of mine that's been collecting with me since 95' that has every fig/ship/playset that came out up until now (minus the last 30 Mauls)- I think he has only 6-8 figs from this line and he has totally lost intrest because of them).
- By many collectors not intested and not buying- this is the reason (besides the shipping strike- although I always see cases of other toys and Hasbro stuff come in all the time) why we are having a hard time finding anything new. Let's face it, WE are the only ones that are still buying. Alot of kids didn't think they were cool and/or are into the newest thing. The old figs that we see on the shelves are not selling just like last summer, it took a major price drop and stores to send cases back to Hasbro to get rid of most of them. The stores make no money and order less and less cases, and the SW section gets reduced almost down to nothing.
- I myself, a die hard collector, have been losing intrest more and more.
- The reason why we have so many figs of the same character in the same outfit- but hay it's a different pose with the eyes closed, mouth wide open, and Crestwhite teeth!!!(EXAMPLE- if we didn't have action features and Hasbro made figs like they use to- it's posible that we could have one, and only one, great Anakin figure in a normal pose w/removeable cape and interchangeable arm {normal/mechanical} but with a peg and no magnet like they use to.) By eliminating the action features it can open doors to more characters that have not been done yet instead of making the same fig over and over with different poses (like Jango Fett).
- With action features alot of figs don't fit into vehicles (gee, little Billy has a hard time putting Anakin and Obi in the speeder, I wonder why he blew it up with a fire cracker and didn't put any SW figs on his Christmas list?)
- Alot of figs can't stand up. I have the Fan Club Action Stands for all my figs and they work great. A few figs with action poses still falls over or leans to far to one side. Almost all the past fig's feet fit into both holes. On most of these action fig, one foot will be on the peg and the other is way off to the side not even over the stand which cause the fig to lean too far to one side and eventully causes the one foot to fall out out of the peg.

THE ONLY ACTION FEATURE THEY SHOULD KEEP IS REMOVEABLE HELMETS & BODY PARTS. Drop the removeable lightsaber blade from hilt (mine bend or simply fall out from the handle all the time on it's own and I'm getting tired of finding them on the floor beneath my shelves). Magnets on the hands (for holding blasters & lightsabers) would be ok if they made the hand grips tighter. Removeable body parts would be good too if they used magnetic pegs(colored) like they did to the last Bespin Luke.(My Anakin arm with just a magnet falls off way too easy). The 12 points of articulation I think is GREAT idea because I think it could make everyone happy. It gives you a choice if you want an action pose or not (besides for us diorama builders we can finally sit figures in chairs -like the jedi council, instead of having Eeth Koth looking like he's going to chop down Obi-Wan while the others just stand there and watch!)
After hearing me complain about the destruction that has been caused from these action features you'll be surprised that I think that a very few are ok. BUT, they should only be in Cinama Scenes (not as cold stiff like the Trash Compactor set) and Deluxe Assortments (Bacta Tank is really cool and has been on my "Want Hasbro to Make" list since 96'.

Tycho
03-12-2003, 03:46 AM
Comments: Steve picks the polls from a big list of many possible, including all the polls that you guys ask for in the poll suggestion thread in this forum. There are some good ones, and it was about time we started hitting them. Action features are still news, even if Hasbro is discontinuing them for the rest of the 2003 line. Meanwhile....

WHAT I LIKE:

12 points of articulation or more!

neutrally posed figures, that stand relaxed. (action poses only as follow-ups)

Lightsabers that separate removeable blades from hilts

hilts that attach to the belts to hang when not in use

metallic hilts with Force magnets (holds 'em better than clearbands)

guns that fit in holsters

snap on blast effects and deflection points, and rocket fire

action figure stands that combine with playsets

CLEAR action figure stands that you can use in any environment

removeable helmets and armor, and other weapons and gear

removeable limbs, snapped on, rather than magnetized

extra accessories, designed for authenticity

I think that's it.

sith_killer_99
03-12-2003, 04:32 AM
No, I think they're neat Hasbro could do with adding more features.=55

They just need refining a bit and then they'll work okay.=78

WOW!!!

I had no idea that at least 133 members of SSG were totally insane.:crazed:

LOL, JK.

sort of.:p

rdrunr89
03-12-2003, 08:13 AM
I voted yes to drop them but only on certain figures. I like the removable hands, heads, cut at the waist things (ok, i'm being morbid here), but i think the swinging lightsaber crap and power kicks need to go.

Darth Cruel
03-13-2003, 08:29 AM
This is a complete no-brainer. The action features suck. Always did. Always will. They have no place on a good action figure and are not welcome.

(The opinion expressed above is that of Darth Cruel alone and is in no way intended to represent the views of SirSteves Star Wars Guide or it's companion websites or there members.)

DieHeer
03-15-2003, 02:03 PM
I agree things are getting out of hand, I guess they think we and the video game generation need more to hold our interest, but a real collector loved the figures as they were, allthough I do like some of the stands that are based on the terain the figure is in from the movies to stand the figure on
me myself never open mine