PDA

View Full Version : Episode III: Rebuilding Classic Locations

Beast
03-11-2003, 02:53 AM
Though it is still early in Episode III's development, deadlines are looming ever closer as this summer's start date for principal photography begins to draw near. George Lucas (http://www.starwars.com/bio/georgelucas.html) is still assembling the story, but Production Designer Gavin Bocquet (http://www.starwars.com/bio/gavinbocquet.html) and his team have already begun transforming stage-space at Fox Studios Australia into familiar otherworldly locales.

"We've been in Sydney for about four weeks now, and the department is about fifty percent up and running in terms of personnel," says Bocquet. He currently heads a team of about 35 workers, and departments like construction, props, special effects and plaster are beginning to form. To meet the schedule, his team has tackled the returning environments first rather than the brand new locales, which are still being developed.

"We do have four or five sets that are being repeated from Clones and a couple of the other Episodes, which gives us a chance to work quite quickly on those. They don't need any great design input or even technical drawings, because they have existed before," he says.

In addition to the Jedi (http://www.starwars.com/databank/organization/thejediorder/index.html) Council chambers, the Senate Rotunda and Palpatine (http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/palpatine/index.html)'s office, two environments from the original trilogy are being carefully recreated for this earlier era in Star Wars history, much like the Lars Homestead (http://www.starwars.com/databank/location/larsmoisturefarm/index.html) was faithfully reconstructed for Episode II.

"It's always quite interesting going back to those historic elements of the saga," says Bocquet. "I think these ones are a little bit easier than the homestead, because they're studio-based and not location-based. They have quite precise drawings that we managed to extricate from the archives, although the archive isn't quite as full for A New Hope as it is for Empire and Jedi, simply because nobody knew what the films were going to become! We're working from the few drawings they do have, plus the stills and looking at the films, and breaking things down and trying to reproduce it."

While there is a sense of nostalgia in recreating environments from the original trilogy, for one of the sets it's particularly personal for Bocquet. "It's quite interesting for me, because I was on Jedi years ago, as a draftsman. So, occasionally some of these drawings that come through are actually mine! All the Art Department suddenly scours around my drawings to see how good they were at that age, but I do stress to them that I was only a junior at that point."

Aside from these two classic environments, Bocquet's team has begun preliminary work on two new locales -- one space-based and one planet-based -- that will each be the stage for intricate action sequences. "We know from a set-building point of view that will be a fair amount of building for us. In fact, Dan Gregoire (http://www.starwars.com/bio/dangregoire.html), Erik Tiemens, Ryan Church and Ben Burtt (http://www.starwars.com/bio/benburtt.html) are working up the animatics for those action sequences, because we need that information to suggest what and how much we should build."

http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/news/2003/03/news20030310.html

Jedi Clint
03-11-2003, 03:44 AM
I've really been looking forward to something E3 related to speculate on!!! TF.net already had someone figure out what the picture in the article was:

http://www.theforce.net/episode3/index.shtml#20159

There will be Star Destroyer bridge shots in E3. That accounts for one studio based set. I'm gonna chew over the other classic set as well as the space and ground action locales. It is nice to be excited about Star Wars again!

Beast
03-11-2003, 03:53 AM
I would think that the other studio based set, would most likely be Dagobah. It would make a lot of sense for it to show up, since that's where Yoda would retreat into hiding. And Luke had been there at some point, since he says in ESB, that there was somthing familar about this place. Likely Obi-Wan dropped Yoda off, before continuing to Tatooine with the infant Luke. So it definatly fits the story. :)

As for the new ground location, maybe Alderaan? Either that or the lava planet, if it appears. The volcano could always be on Alderaan. We arn't sure officially what the entire planet is like. Would explain why Vader wouldn't object to it's destruction. The space location is a toughie. Since it's new, we can't really guess at what it could be. We are seeing the bridge of a Star Destroyer though. The Republic Ship Yards would be a cool space location. Maybe the Ship Yard, could be orbiting Alderaan? :D

Nice catch on the picture, I hadn't originally noticed it when I posted the story. Very neat, will be nice to see a few of the classic ships popping up in Episode III. Spiffy brand new versions of the classic ANH ships. The Holonet news from before E2, said the Twin Ion Engine (TIE Fighter), was close to being perfected. Y-Wings are old enough to appear, most likely with their armor plating intact. And maybe the Z-95 Headhunter will pop up, being the precursor to the X-Wing. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
03-11-2003, 04:27 AM
Oh no, I'm posting in the spoiler section :eek:. And oh no, I read that spoiler about the Star Destroyer bridge :eek:!!! Don't wory, the only spoiler I'm gonna read. I read this story on StarWars.com and wanted to disguss it, but couldn't do it in the No-Spiler section :rolleyes:.

Looks like the Star Destroyer Bridge will be one of the re-created sets then, unless it was just used as reference for a new set of the Republic assault ship (as it is a predecesor to the Star Destroyer).

What could the other re-created set from the OT be (persuming that is isn't another location inside the Star Destroyer :rolleyes::p)?
Dagobah?
Cloud City?
Death Star?
Mos Eisley? Ben's Hut? Cantina? Jabba's Palace?
Massassi Temple?

I think the most likely would be Dagobah. This is really the only location I would be dissapointed if I don't see again. I would like Luke to some how end up on Dagobah to bring more meaning to his "There's something familiar about this place," line.
It think Ben's Hut could be fit into Episode III somehow. The only two locations I don't really think would fit into it would be Hoth and Endor.

As for the new locations, I really hope one of them is Alderaan. If Alderaan is seen in Ep3, it would increase the emotion when it is destroyed in Ep4.

PENDO!

keith koth
03-11-2003, 10:57 AM
At first thought, I wouldn't mind seeing Dagobah. However, after some consideration, I think it would add more to the story if Dagobah was left out of E-III.

If you think about the 6 movies as a whole, from the perspective of someone who has never seen any of the films before (or at least has not seen the original trilogy), I believe we should be left at the end of E-III believing that the entire Jedi Order has been wiped out...thus the title of E-IV: "A New Hope".

The re-introduction of Obi-Wan in ANH and Yoda in ESB should invoke the feeling of discovering a long-lost friend...almost as if they had been stranded on a deserted island and had been written off as being dead.

IMO there is no need to explain Luke's comment about the familiar feeling about Dagobah. We know that Luke has premonitions about his friends in Cloud City...perhaps he also had vivid premonitions about Dagobah, which makes the planet seem familiar.

As for other sets, I am excited about the possibility of the Star Destroyers in E-III. Alderan would be great too!

Darkross
03-11-2003, 10:57 AM
Yes Alderaan has to be shown in EIII. I never thought about the Lava scene being on Alderaan...but I guess I'm hoping that we'll see Alderaan and Sullust (lava planet) in Episode III. That would give both Alderaan destruction scene more drama and Vader's comments in ROTJ "What are the reports of the Rebel fleet massing near Sullust?" more emotion too. We already know that they have filmed the Mount Etna volcano eruption last fall...so perhaps this is just a sequence they'll film against a green screen with no real set to build and the planetary scenes will be of Alderaan.

Imperial Monarche
03-11-2003, 12:23 PM
Well, if you think about it the Death Star cannot be shown as it was just finished at the beginning of ANH cuz Alderaan was the first planet destroyed. I read somewhere that Alderaan will be in Ep. III because the importance of Bail Organa. Dagobah would be nice, but i never thought about how it would be best to show that Yoda is gone and that maybe Obi-Wan is the last left.

JEDIpartner
03-11-2003, 02:02 PM
The remains, then... how did yoda GET to Dagobah? If not Obi-Wan, did Yoda have his own little ship? I have a feeling it WILL be Dagobah and the other is DEFINITELY the Star Destroyer bridge.

Grooooooooooovy!

dr_evazan22
03-11-2003, 04:37 PM
When I first read the report at SW.com, the SD was my first guess, not even really looking at the design at the top of the page.

My thought for the second was the Lars homestead, but its mentioned separately in teh article.

My next guess?

Ben (Obi-Wan) Kenobi's Hut.

Pendo- I want you to know that I'm still there w/ you on the spoiler-free issue, although it has been difficult. I've only read things that were officially released, and I'm only here b/c it's in the spoiler forum. Be strong! Keep the Faith!

TheDarthVader
03-11-2003, 06:55 PM
This is cool! I hope we see Dagobaugh and Alderran in Ep3! I am sure we will...and seeing the SD bridge will be cool as well.

The 'Xir
03-13-2003, 09:40 PM
Yeah, with everything that's been said around here I'd have to say my top 3 would be:
Dagobah, Ben's House, and The Cantina! :cool:

TheDarthVader
03-13-2003, 10:52 PM
Goodness, I meant DAGOBAH!! GEEZ! ;)

Jedi Clint
03-14-2003, 04:55 PM
The second set has really been left wide open for speculation. I'm thinking that the 2 new locations (ground and space based) could be a planet and space station where the final battle of the clone wars takes place.

scruffziller
03-20-2003, 01:04 PM
Yea hopefully if things are moving along faster this time, they will have time to focus their energy on other things.

Uki
03-25-2003, 11:05 AM
I hope Dagobah is in III. I hope they explain why that cave/tomb/place is so strong with the Dark Side of the Force. It just doesn't make sense, really. If you really look at the scene as Luke is about to confront the spectre of Vader/Luke/whathaveyou, there is a right angle to the left, something that looks like a man-made structure. Am I the only one who has seen this? I think the "cave" might actually have some true significance. Perhaps Dooku will be defeated there, leaving a residual Dark Force presence or something along those lines.
I'm also hoping that Alderaan will be shown. Other OT locales that could be neat would of course include SD bridges, the cantina, Jabba's Palace, or the Lars Homestead again. (After all, we will hopefully see the delivery of the twins to their foster parents.) I'd opt against seeing the Death Star unless it was in a very preliminary stage.