PDA

View Full Version : Death Stars



Imperial Monarche
03-11-2003, 12:25 PM
Did they build both death stars at the same time, the one that was finished and one that was a backup?

Rogue II
03-11-2003, 12:29 PM
That's a good question. I've begun to wonder that myself. They seem a little too far along to have started constructing the 2nd Death Star after the first was completed.

Pendo
03-11-2003, 01:17 PM
They seem to have constructed the 2nd quite quickly. If we were to persume construction began on the 1st Death Star around the time of Episode III then it took around 18 years. Where as it only took about 4 to construct the 2nd. Plus don't forget that the 2nd was much bigger and more technical. Because we don't know when construction began on the 1st Death Star it is hard to say really. I think it would seem obvious to begin construction on the 2nd soon after the 1st, or soon after construction began on the 1st just incase something bad were to happen to it. But from watching ANH the Imperials seem to believe the Death Star is Titanic, unsinkable, so may not have constructed the 2nd until after the 1st was destroyed.

PENDO!

odb
03-11-2003, 01:56 PM
Good question.

I think the 2nd Death Star was started after the first but the 2nd was designed when the first was still in one piece. Despite the 2nd being bigger and more complex it was probably easier to construct as all the lessons from the 1st could be put into place and therefore the 2nd could be built faster.

Plus the fact that after the humiliation of losing the 1st probably meant the Empire diverted more resources and men to the project to complete it faster so as to not appear weaken by the loss. They probably cut a few corners as well which might explain the lack of hand rails:rolleyes:

stillakid
03-11-2003, 02:02 PM
With our only context of space construction existing with the laboriously slow pace of ISS, it seems impossible that something as large as a Death Star could be built within a lifetime, much less a year or two.

But, just as the Star Destroyers required massive and foolhardy allocations of resources, the Death Star not only is a floating battle station...much like the pyramids of Egypt, it also represents the audicious and egotisical nature of the Empire. Because we know that it only took a couple of years to almost complete DS2, the implication of the reach and power of the Empire to hire, conscript, and enslave a galaxy-wide population in order to build so quickly only further illustrates the tenacious grip that was held over a once proud Republic.

dr_evazan22
03-11-2003, 04:24 PM
I think it would be fair to assume that the 2nd wasn't started, or even conceived of, until the first was destroyed, since DS1's fatal flaw was corrected. Granted, there were flaws in DS2 as well, but Imperial arrogance was the worst.

Sith Lord 0498
03-11-2003, 06:55 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong about this, but doesn't the opening crawl of "Return of the Jedi" read something like this: "Little does Luke know that the Empire has begun construction on a battle station even more powerful than the first dreaded Death Star" (I can't remember the exact phrasing)?

Sure sounds like it was built after the destruction of DS-1.

mini-rock
03-12-2003, 12:17 AM
Agreed. The opening crawl of ROTJ says when the 2nd DS was built.

I agree with odb as well that more resources were put into building the 2nd DS faster. Just from watching the beggining of ROTJ for the first time I got the impression that it needed to be completed fast, and that it was of course a trap layed by the Emperor to crush the rebellion.

JediTricks
03-12-2003, 12:57 AM
I don't think we truly "know" how long it took to build the first Death Star, we only know that 22 years before ANH, Dooku and the Geonosians were working on secret plans for it. Unless Ep 3 states that building the Death Star has begun in that timeframe, it's not impossible that the Empire didn't start working on the Death Star for another 15 years. They could have even continued refining the design during that time, or even just amassing materials and some sort of special shipyard to handle its construction.

Darkross
03-12-2003, 10:28 AM
I believe that the DeathStar I and II were both constructed rather quickly...perhaps DS II faster...but both were constructed from pre-assembled modules. That would help explain the speed in which these HUGE space stations were constructed. Considering Stillakid's comments about galaxy-wide resources...it wouldn't take long to pre-fab several thousand modules and ship them to the location where the DeathStar was assembled. The shear magnitude of this project would take several lifetimes for a couple of planetary systems to construct otherwise...not to mention consume most of the natural resources of several planets. The same would hold true for constructing Star Destroyers and even Corruscant...a planet completely covered in several thousand (mile-high +) buildings. Using this method...I don't think that it would be impossible to construct a DeathStar within two or three years.

Exhaust Port
03-13-2003, 08:23 AM
I don't think the scoll indicates that the DS II was built after the DS I's destruction. By saying that Luke didn't know that a second DS had been started could very well mean that he didn't realize that a second DS was being constructed while the DS I was on its mission of destruction. All I ever gathered from that scroll was the new DS was a mystery until some time after ESB.

stillakid
03-13-2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Exhaust Port
I don't think the scoll indicates that the DS II was built after the DS I's destruction. By saying that Luke didn't know that a second DS had been started could very well mean that he didn't realize that a second DS was being constructed while the DS I was on its mission of destruction. All I ever gathered from that scroll was the new DS was a mystery until some time after ESB.

I disagree. I believe that it clearly "implied" (if nothing else), that DS II was begun after the destruction of the first. Besides, in ANH, the council discussion never refers to a second battle station. That conversation too implies that there is just one. They assumed that it was all powerful and was indestructable. Why build two if you believe that?

12inch Lando
03-13-2003, 10:20 AM
...on a side note, I wonder how many megatons of salvageable material may have been recycled/recovered from the first DS destruction? I know, in the movie, it seemed to pretty much vaporize, but in the novelization it was said to have burned for weeks leaving me with the impression that there was a good bit of stuff left over. I wonder if there's a Death Star debris (asteroid) belt left in the Yavin system. Just a thought.

Imperial Monarche
03-13-2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by stillakid
I disagree. I believe that it clearly "implied" (if nothing else), that DS II was begun after the destruction of the first. Besides, in ANH, the council discussion never refers to a second battle station. That conversation too implies that there is just one. They assumed that it was all powerful and was indestructable. Why build two if you believe that?

well, the emperor was very devious. perhaps he ordered the construction of two battle stations because he was wise enough to realize nothing is indestructable (since he single-handedly destroyed the old republic which was thought to be indestructable) and didn't tell many of the other officers about it knowing that there's no secret that can be kept if too many people know about it.

stillakid
03-14-2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Imperial Monarche
well, the emperor was very devious. perhaps he ordered the construction of two battle stations because he was wise enough to realize nothing is indestructable (since he single-handedly destroyed the old republic which was thought to be indestructable) and didn't tell many of the other officers about it knowing that there's no secret that can be kept if too many people know about it.

errrrrrrrr........eeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..... .errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr


ohhh. whew.... gimme a sec.....okay....ohhh boy....


I just tried reaching that far.... but I couldn't....whew.....now I'm pooped....sigh....;)

darthvyn
03-14-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
They could have even continued refining the design during that time

well, i think if they were refining for that long, they would've realized there was quite a weak spot not much smaller than a womp rat...
;)

Imperial Monarche
03-14-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by stillakid
errrrrrrrr........eeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..... .errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr


ohhh. whew.... gimme a sec.....okay....ohhh boy....


I just tried reaching that far.... but I couldn't....whew.....now I'm pooped....sigh....;)


grrrrrrrrrrrr....everyone's a critic:rolleyes:

TheDarthVader
03-14-2003, 08:59 PM
No engineer is perfect ;)