PDA

View Full Version : Durge and Anakin: new Clone Wars figures revealed

keith koth
03-11-2003, 12:34 PM
What does everyone think of the new "Clone Wars" bounty hunter figure Durge that was revealed at starwars.com today? How about the Anakin?

I think they both look cool. :cool:

Notice the concept drawing of Durge...his helmet looks strikingly similar to Vader's to me.

http://www.starwars.com/collecting/news/2003/03/news20030311.html#1

jad
03-11-2003, 01:07 PM
Durge looks pretty cool. But that Anakin figure looks kinda goofy with all the armor and stuff, oh well.

LTBasker
03-11-2003, 01:29 PM
What the heck are those? Anakin looks goofy, the removeable headset is interesting but it's a bit err, bulky. He's definitely gonna have to be scrunched up to fit into the JSF cockpit.

Durge looks, uh not very Star Wars. Who the heck designed that? Looks like it belongs in GI Joe rejects..

JEDIpartner
03-11-2003, 01:56 PM
Durge is very comic-book looking. I don't think the Anakin is all THAT offensive. The headset is a little large, as LTB pointed out, but that's really about it. This is so EU... but I love it!

I don't really have any issues with either of these figures. I am gonna have loads of fun playing with these!

AmanaMatt
03-11-2003, 02:02 PM
I can only speak for myself, but this line is NOT Star Wars to me. The Anakin would be cool for customizing, but aside from that, this line is looking very uncool.

SOTE part 2 is what this really is.

Remeber how well that went over?

El Chuxter
03-11-2003, 02:11 PM
So it looks like Luke's not the first Skywalker Jedi to wear a black glove to cover his severed hand. :rolleyes:

Durge. . . man oh man oh man. In the sheer "looks" category, this guy just beat out the ARC Clonetroopers by a mile. Sweeet!!

stillakid
03-11-2003, 02:16 PM
Durge looks like a Transformer or cheapie GI Joe figure. Definitely not Star Wars.

Anakin...well, he'll NEVER make a good looking figure. Just another "human" in whacky "flowing" clothes flailing his arms around.

JEDIpartner
03-11-2003, 02:41 PM
don't be so cynical, Stillakid... ;)

Jargo
03-11-2003, 02:44 PM
Durge is a little too way out there for me, too bulky and not human enough. Anakin is just another dull anakin so - dull. And the hair extension flying around just looks bad. I don't mind a little movement in the sculpt but when they look like they're fighting in a gale force wind it's a big turn off. I highly doubt i'll buy the Anakin but depending on the final product I might buy Durge. Swap out the head for a human head and he'll possibly look okay.Something i don't understand is why he wears the mandalorian insignia if he so hates the mandalorians. And if they say it's armor taken from a mandalorian warrior then that's poo because according to the lore jango wears the armor of the mandalorians and this isn't anything like jango's armor. A head swap and a repaint and he should look okay. Space pirate or something. His legs look cybernetic to me. They also look like they detach, but that could just be a weird sculpting thing. Hmmm, i guess what i'm saying here is that i'll wait and see on Durge but anakin will be a pegwarmer as far as i'm concerned.

Battle Droid
03-11-2003, 03:51 PM
Durge looks a little He-Manish.

JEDIpartner
03-11-2003, 03:54 PM
I kinda thought he looked like that big dude in Mad Max... can't recall his name, but you know who I'm talking about. Was it Master Blaster?

aceguide
03-11-2003, 04:05 PM
I think they both look SWEET!

Ani is very cool. Lots of options and looks to have a ton of articulation.

Durge = Bad Boy. Wouldn't want to be a mandelorian!

plasticfetish
03-11-2003, 04:06 PM
I'd say that this is one of the best looking Anakins yet. It looks very play-able ... the costume is cool, pose is good and the "gear" seems to ad to the play factor pretty well. I agree with JARGO about the flying ponytail thing ... but, I think the ponytail idea is lame to begin with. It'll be interesting to see what he looks like on the pegs.

I have no interest in Durge at all. I agree about it not "looking" Star Wars. He reminds me of "The Humungus" from Mad Max for some reason. And yeah, I was wondering about the mandalorian insignia thing too, it doesn't make sense. Maybe it'll end up being a cool figure because of how absurd looking it is ... I dunno. I figure kids will like it because it looks a little like a pro wrestler in bounty hunter armor (didn't I see this guy on that "Ultimate Muscle" cartoon?)

Excited to see what's next! Bring 'em on!

**edit** ... Hahaha ... I just posted then I read JEDIpartnr's post ... hahaha.

Vortex
03-11-2003, 04:32 PM
Durge looks like stormshadow on 'roids or a throw back to the old GI Joe Ninja force...the only thing he's missing is a splash of neon green or blaze orange. I hope he changes color in the sun:)

Anakin...yawn...I lost count which # version is this? 20?

I'm just looking forward to whatever comic Durge comes out in. The Star Wars Terminator...now he just needs a glowing red eye...

jblodgett
03-11-2003, 05:12 PM
I like the Anakin, provided that big binocular thing comes off his belt. He looks like he's got some pretty good articulation. The "cool accessories" will be thrown away promptly. What is it with this "cool gear" crap? It just looks lame. I like this Anakin. His floppy pony tail looks a little big, but overall he looks good.

Durge? Ehhhh.... Looks like something from a GI Joe line. At least Xixor from the SOTE line looked cool.

mark2d2
03-11-2003, 06:07 PM
Not my cup of Tea --- I'm afraid.

Another Anakin --- B-O-R-I-N-G.

And Durge? The name says is all. Cheesy. Why does all the EU stuff always have to be so poor in concept and design that it looks like bootleg knock-off trash. I'm sorry --- but this figure SUCKS! He is not at all Star Wars. Even in the vaguest sense . . . Overly buff --- and totally generic. Is there a toy line out on the market now in which he wouldn't blend in? Awful. Pathetic. Instead of a galaxy far, far away . . . he belongs in a forgotten cartoon, back, back in the 1980s.

Sorry --- but this is just depressing. The line is apparently going downhill at about 90 miles an hour . . . and steadily picking up speed. :cry:

Fulit
03-11-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by plasticfetish
And yeah, I was wondering about the mandalorian insignia thing too, it doesn't make sense.

Yeah, I was going to say, what's up with him wearing the Mandalorian thing on his chest if he's not Mandalorian?

Anakin's poor headband has to go.

Other than that, they're okay, but I forsee thousands of Anakins clogging pegs.

bobafrett
03-11-2003, 07:56 PM
Anakin= okay

Durge= purge, what a peice of garbage

Wow, just as I was posting this, a Star Wars action figure commercial came on Cartoon network.

karinations
03-11-2003, 08:21 PM
As i read about "mission ready accessories"i cringed.
Freeing themselves of the movie guidelines they can pump out tons of crappy figures that wouldn't be out of place in a M.A.S.K.
relaunch but with a Star Wars logo on them.
I stared getting flashes of the Hasbro Batman line and thiking of what the case assortments might look like...
Assortment A
(3) "Blade attack Anakin Skywalker" (3) "Duel Wing Anakin Skywalker" (2)"Night Vision Anakin Skywalker" (2)"Ninja Anakin Skywalker" (1)"Sand Raid Battle droid"(3)"Water Fighter Anakin Skywalker(with Water Firing Action!).

Dreadful....

-V-
http://www.karinations.com
http://www.citizenv.com

Kidhuman
03-11-2003, 08:22 PM
Durge would look good if he was a Transformer. And another Anagain?

Beast
03-11-2003, 09:01 PM
I dunno, the Anakin isn't all that bad. The extra equipment and such will make them fun for kids. It's not really any worse then the concept art Jedi Training Qui and Obi from POTJ. In my opinion, it's actually better. The headband does come out a bit goofy looking though. All in all, not bad. :)

Durge doesn't look terrible. But yeah, he does seem to be sort of G.I. JOEish. The armor doesn't look very Star Wars, but he is supposed to be 2,000 years old. So it's archaic looking. He looks pretty cool in the picture from the comics. And for the gungan haters he does slaughter a ton in the next issue. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

amidalak
03-11-2003, 09:14 PM
i like em both--i don't care that durge looks g.i. joeish cause to me, the only other toy line worth having is the 3 3/4 joes. YO JOE!

JangoFart
03-11-2003, 09:59 PM
Hasbro has new pics up of two new figures. One is the Bounty Hunter Durge and the other is of a new Anakin. Both are from the Clone Wars line.

Both look sweet with sweet accessories.

J

http://starwars.hasbro.com/bountyhunter/repnews_content.cfm?showlg=229

http://starwars.hasbro.com/bountyhunter/repnews_content.cfm?showlg=231

JangoFart
03-11-2003, 10:00 PM
Also, dig on:

http://starwars.hasbro.com/bountyhunter/repnews_content.cfm?showlg=230

and

http://starwars.hasbro.com/bountyhunter/repnews_content.cfm?showlg=228

J

JangoFart
03-11-2003, 10:02 PM
Oh-kaaay. Just noticed this was posted in the Clone Wars section. Where I reckon it goes :)

Merge, please.

J

Banthaholic
03-11-2003, 10:09 PM
I kinda like these two. I love EU and these are going to be cool.
They're well assessorized and I can't wait to read about them.

I'll keep my opinion based upon the final pr4oduct of what the toys present vs what they are in print. So far I'm happy & entrigued

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
03-11-2003, 10:20 PM
It'll take some time before I accept Durge as a SW figure. As for the Anakin- awful!

Darth Jax
03-11-2003, 10:28 PM
i feel sorry for pilot jango, gonna be warming the pegs next to a mandalorian hater. at least anaking will have plenty of pilot padme's to hang with.

both figures look rather lame, as EU typically has. but being that desperate for ANYTHING new to be released i'll end up getting them both.

jeffonthego
03-11-2003, 10:37 PM
While the Anakin figure is Anakin, his legs and arms seem way too bulky.

And Durge (?) is not 'Star Wars' as well - again way too pumped up!

Durge, and to a lesser extent Anakin, remind me of the bulky Batman line of figures from a few years back.

Will keep an open mind to CW line, but won't buy either of these two - now way.

jeffonthego
03-11-2003, 10:40 PM
Oops, that's 'no way' to these two . . .

And, thanks JarJar for Comic durge pic. Just confirms it for me - he's not 'Star Wars' at all - totally GI Joe.

jeffonthego
03-11-2003, 10:42 PM
More I think about it, the more annoyed I get - as my three posts in a row testify to (sorry!).

My interest in the whole collecting has been waning since first few waves of AOTC. Figured I'd hang in there until EpIII, but at this rate, CW may just knock me out of the game for good.

Sucks to say, I'm afraid.

Beast
03-11-2003, 10:48 PM
There is a little thing called the edit button you know. You get a whole 24 hours to update your thoughts. Especially if noone had posted after you did. There's little reason to post three times in a row. Unless your making extremly long posts, that need to be broken up. Or attaching files. :p :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

brentfett
03-11-2003, 10:54 PM
What can I say? CRAP, CRAP, CRAP! Collectors won't touch it. Little kids only play with Star Wars toys two months after the movie is released. A waste of plastic and packaging. Good thinking Hasbro, an entire line of EU crap.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-11-2003, 11:08 PM
Meh, i think they look fairly good. i'm sure the line will improve over time though, so i'm not gonna worry about it. I'm happy with it!! :D

karinations
03-11-2003, 11:23 PM
Star Wars:The Clone Wars
Case assortment B
(3)"Stealth glow Anakin Skywalker"(3)"Windblade Action Anakin Skywalker"(2)"Laser-Glow Anakin Skywalker(Glows in the dark!)
(2)"Assult Catipult Anakin Skywalker"(1)"Aqua Commando Obi-Wan"(3)"Ninja Anakin Skywalker"(same as assort A cases)

-V-

Jayspawn
03-12-2003, 12:09 AM
I have to agree with LTBasker and Amanamatt, these figures stink! Anakin looks like a goof, a Jedi would never wear all those war accesories. Durge doesn't even look like a Star Wars character. He looks more like some kinda GI Joe-Gundam thing.

I'm dissapoited so far. I'm unimpressed.

JediTricks
03-12-2003, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by tjovonovich
I'm just looking forward to whatever comic Durge comes out in. The Star Wars Terminator...now he just needs a glowing red eye... Heh heh: http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=229738

:D

Emperors_Hand_2211
03-12-2003, 01:42 AM
Hmmm. Durge pretty much sucking there. I don't think the anakin is to bad. Depends if he is action featured in some way.

plasticfetish
03-12-2003, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by brentfett
Little kids only play with Star Wars toys two months after the movie is released.

I dunno ... my "little kid" was out front in the flower box digging holes, making Jango and Obi-Wan fight yesterday. He also takes Final (oops, where's my head) Battle Jango to bed sometimes. (Jango's a "good guy" in his EU.) He DID say that he didn't need "anymore of the same figures that he already had" and that he'd "rather have more NEW jedi figures." (Seriously ... he's 5 and he's sick of figure variations also.) So, I suppose if kids get bored, it's for the same reasons adults do.

evenflow
03-12-2003, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by Amanamatt
I can only speak for myself, but this line is NOT Star Wars to me. This line is looking very uncool.

SOTE part 2 is what this really is.

Remeber how well that went over?

I totally agree. Shadows of the Empire was better than this.

OC47150
03-12-2003, 07:53 AM
This Durge character is intriguing. I want to know more before I cast judgement.

aceguide
03-12-2003, 07:56 AM
I have to chime in on what plasticfetich was saying about kids.

Mine has never ceased playing with his SW toys. Even at 31/2 when EPI came out he didn't stop playing with the figs right through EPII. Now he's counting the day to III.

EU seems to keep the fire going. OB1 Cold Weather and Jedi Training are regulars on all the planets. Kids know how to keep collecting fresh and exciting. I showed him the pics of these new figs and he blew a lid. Wanted to know if we could go to the store and find them (I wish! - where is EPHANT!).

JEDIpartner
03-12-2003, 08:26 AM
I'm with Aceguide and JarJar on this. I looked at the pics again and I STILL like them both. I say that the EU figures help expand our OWN storylines beyond the films. I always wished for figures with other mission outfits when I was a kid playing with the vintage line!

jedi-cpa
03-12-2003, 09:13 AM
COBRA!!!!!

Yo Joe.

It stinks and I don't like it!

jedi-cpa
03-12-2003, 09:19 AM
What happened did they float vaders body out to space ad unicron found him and remade him?

droidekas2
03-12-2003, 09:45 AM
Exactly!!!

COBRA!!

BATMAN w/ Destroy the Line action.

Everyone was so gung ho when this idea was announced and all it will end up being is another failed idea (action features) that will be removed a year from now. It just dilutes the line, takes the focus away from what they should be doing (classic figures) and alienates more collectors (read most of these posts).

Next we will get a picture of Mace with a wig on and some super huge bazooka gun. I'll stick with buying the clone troopers, if they dont manage to mess those up too.

SNAYSON
03-12-2003, 10:35 AM
The Durge action figure looks like it belongs in Hasbro's current GI Joe lineup! not very cool looking.

karinations
03-12-2003, 02:33 PM
Star Wars:Clone Wars
Case Assortment C
(3)"Sub Zero Anakin Skywalker"(3)"Ninja Anakin Skywalker"(same as assortments A and B) (3)"Camouflage Anakin Skywalker"(1)Durge(With Blastin Bazooka!)(2)"Night Vision Anakin Skywalker"(same as case assort A) (2)"Scuba Fighter Anakin Skywalker"

OK that's the last case assortment (for now)

-V-

187-Maul
03-13-2003, 07:32 AM
Durge looks ok since he is EU but I won't be getting him, too non-starwars IMO
Anakin looks ok too but I don't need him either and the armor is a bit too much

Amy
03-13-2003, 03:34 PM
I just dont like either.:( But hey, at least we have a hole slew of great figures coming up in the future!!!:D

Darth Trymybestus
03-13-2003, 04:18 PM
I don't like them either, I'm not into the clone wars line, I like figures that are right outta the movies!
The new Anakin Skywalker Secret Ceremony, the new Dooku and and Both Luke and Vader from ROTJ are mucho anticipated!
What is it that you don't like about the Anakin? To me, it's the whole armour thing, since when did Jedi wear armour? :D
I don't like the Durge at all... can someone please put Jango Fett's head back on and bring him back?! :D :crazed:

Obehave Kenobi
03-13-2003, 08:48 PM
I prefer more movie realistic figures, as well. However, these new toys look like they'll be FUN to have and play with, and, in my opinion, fun has been missing from these toys for some time.

Jargo
03-15-2003, 10:47 AM
The fun will return when the leg pose are neutral once more and the figures stand on their own without the need for silly bases.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-16-2003, 12:05 PM
These look okay. I don't blame Hasbro for Durge, of course. He looks pretty cool (not great, though). Anakin is meh. But at least most of the stuff is removable.:)

neo
03-16-2003, 01:18 PM
I like them both. I love the idea of figures that don't really fit into the movies as much. It give you the freedom to make your own adventures in the Star Wars univers. I plan on making Durge hunt for Boba when I get one. That will be a great fight. :D

aceguide
03-17-2003, 03:00 PM
Having just seen JJB's picture of the comic Durge I am twice as psyched for this figure. Looking forward to getting the latest comics and brushing up on the Durge history.

So he looks a bit like Joe - Is there a law against the forces of SW and Joe joining together??? Ninja Turtles and SW figs seem to have a permanent alliance at my house (with the 6 year old that is).

Chiesa
03-20-2003, 11:38 PM
The anakin looks good. But with all his gear on, he looks like as though he is begging to get out of it as it looks heavy and bulky! I hope the BINO is removable and that strap thing across his chest looks way way too big and clumsy

Durge... I shall refrain from making comments. Inspired by Jason I think :D

Banthaholic
03-23-2003, 09:18 AM
I reserved my judgement on Durge,although after reading this latest DH installment I'm totally psyched. Durge rocks!

kadamontaga
03-23-2003, 09:43 AM
Same here. Woo Durge!

jad
03-24-2003, 07:42 PM
I'm not too keen on either of these figures. However, the clone wars Obi-Wan looks pretty dang good. A good likeness and there really isn't that much different about him and his actual movie costume, just some added cargo pockets and a sorta bandolier strap that may be removable. He also looks like he has no lame action feature and he has articulation that can allow him to actually hold the lightsaber, and whith two hands. I'll be sure to get the obiwan, and i'll probably just use him for the pilot for my Jedi Starfighter which is on display.

I might just have to see durge and anakin when they are in the stores, but so far they both look pretty lame. I'd just stick with the secret ceremony Anakin if you want a pretty good figure.

Chiesa
03-25-2003, 12:34 PM
Isn't the no gimmicks and ton of articulation exactly what people want? I think the Anakin looks to be giving these...

We collectors are picky and hard to please don't ya think? :D

RooJay
03-27-2003, 01:49 PM
Really.
It's no wonder Hasbro has a tendency not to listen to us - as a group we collectors tend to complain about any and everything! There has not been a figure released ever that someone hasn't whined about. Makes me wonder why any of "us" ever began collecting Star Wars figures at all.

plasticfetish
03-27-2003, 03:36 PM
Not "complain" ... critique.

Besides, my plan to collect figures from the movie Zardoz just isn't working out. So I suppose I'm stuck with Star Wars and Hasbro.

Prince Xizor
04-03-2003, 10:59 PM
Wow! I just read the newest Dark Horse comic with Durge in it. I want the figure a hundred times more now! He was awesome, beating the **** out of 4 Jedi, and taking a shot to the heed, and still alive!

Totally psyched for this Clone Wars line!

Jaff
04-04-2003, 01:35 AM
I complain about few figures, just the ones that look like a stick was rammed up their butt! Those poses and karate chop action features just don't seem to strike me in a positive light

Amy
04-04-2003, 04:05 PM
I am getting more and more excited about this line as the days go by. Killer figures,killer packs, killer vehicles.....oh yeah.:D

I really want that Obi-Wan. You can tell his belt and shoulder strap are removable, and underneath he looks like a WONDERFUL Kenobi sculpt. The only ones I'll be passing on thus far is Yoda and Durge.

Kidhuman
04-05-2003, 01:46 PM
This new line is definitley worth waiting for. I wonder if they will have a midnight release like the rest of the new lines and movies. Hope so. BTW what is the release date on the figures? JJB? I know you would know. I know it is fall but has it been scheduled dates yet?

Teeska Mon Eebon
04-12-2003, 08:53 PM
Boht of these figures are crappy looking right now Anikin I might get but just becasue of the Jedi Starfighter he gets.

Durge very not starwarsish but I might get.. I need to wait and see it later

karinations
04-14-2003, 12:44 PM
Durge sucks a ton of as* on this thread too.
Jar Jar Binks is Han Solo compared to Durge.

-V-

Darthvader7677
04-15-2003, 07:34 PM
Well this is not what I expected for the new star wars toys, Atleast there just sneak previews. Hopefully they all won't look this way. The Durge figure to me is useless. Why make a new character for the last movie. What about boba fett? Oh well that's E3 comes out in 2005

RooJay
04-16-2003, 06:19 PM
I honestly doubt that Durge will make it into any movie. Either way, I wouldn't expect Boba Fett to take on a Durge-like role in Episode 3 either as he will still be a bit on the young side. Of course, it's always possible.

MaxRebo34
05-08-2003, 12:49 PM
looks kinda funny to me...but oh well its star wars and you gotta love everything that comes out for that

Q

dirtydroid
05-19-2003, 05:49 PM
Oh no! Not more EU/SOTE figures! I thought we had enough! I'd prefer the movie figures. EU figures just don't make the cut.

RooJay
05-21-2003, 06:09 PM
Yes they do. ;)

These aren't Shadows of the Empire figures anyway.

Teeska Mon Eebon
05-23-2003, 08:53 PM
I was at target and noticed Durge looks alot like slasher or something from the Ninja turtles line? anyone else see this?

RooJay
05-24-2003, 02:49 PM
Target has Durge?

Talon Karrde
06-11-2003, 01:49 PM
I thought the Bantha Skull Insignia was Jabbas halmark, not the Madalorians.

Talon Karrde
06-11-2003, 01:57 PM
I like the line aswell. I was a big fan of SOTE(read the story a few times), and THE EU figures. Whats the comic book that durge is in?? Title and subtitle. Durge looks straight from a video game, and I love that.