PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro makes 2 versions of holth han

mylow thehutt
03-12-2003, 07:23 AM
:) Over at starwars.hasbro.com they have made it clear that they will be making 2 versions of Han one in a blue coat and one in a brown here what they said

" Han Solo Hoth Rescue - The Coat's Blue, Brown Blue!
Mar 12, 2003
The age old debate lives on. Since The Empire Strikes Back was released, fans have been debating the color of Han Solo's coat while on Hoth. So what's the answer? Is it blue? Is it brown? Well, we spent hours and hours reviewing all of the movie reference from the Hoth scene (see a few examples below). And we used a state-of-the-art computer program to help us pick the correct color. We compiled all the data and the official color is... both blue and brown. What we mean is that in certain movie scenes, it is clearly brown, but in other film reference and photos from the set it is clearly blue. And the original toy from 1980 featured a blue coat, and that's a big reason why many of us remember it as blue. So to be as authentic as possible, we will offer two versions of the figure - Han in a blue coat and a brown coat. Below is a sneak peak at both. The blue coat version will be available first followed by the brown version. While the debate will live on, we're happy to know that you'll get the right color coat, whichever side of the debate you're on. Enjoy!"

so there you have it.I have a pic of the new version nothing new ecept the brown jacket.I guess you already seen the blue one

Rogue II
03-12-2003, 07:33 AM
This is a brilliant plan by Hasbro. They are pleasing both sides of the blue/brown arguement, AND, most collectors will seek out and buy one of each.

And for the record, I still think the jacket is brown

mylow thehutt
03-12-2003, 07:50 AM
It seems lately hasbro went from Hasblah to Ha$boo now back to Hasbro,they been pleasing us all right after they gave us Antills and Donna sice then they droped the action features and will probly cook up some great stuff this year.P.s your all wrong the jacket is red.

aceguide
03-12-2003, 07:58 AM
I will just be happy to find one of the colors at a retail store near me.

It's a great idea, and hints that they do listen to us occassionally....

JEDIpartner
03-12-2003, 08:12 AM
Well... I'm going with "whatever" on the colour. Brown, blue... I don't care at this point. Just let it look good!

:)

Kidhuman
03-12-2003, 09:25 AM
Hasbro has been pleasing the fans lately. Keep it up Hasbro.

JediTricks
03-12-2003, 12:02 PM
What I love is that the "blue" evidence pic they put up is actually brown! It's just that the pic is dark so it seems to have a grape color to it, but brightening it in photoshop, lview, and paintshop pro all showed it to be as brown as Chewie's fur.

icatch9
03-12-2003, 12:32 PM
I feel a bit dumb here. I've always thought that it was blue, and I never ever question my own eyes. I suppose after this revaltion I will watch ESB againt tonight and see.

Is this really that big of a controversy? Again, I've always thought it was blue and just supposed Hasbro screwed up the other two versions becasue a lot of the extras on hoth have brown coats.

I am glad that are makeing both, two is always better than one. Now if we can only get Luke with two different hair colors like the old days :D.

Rogue II
03-12-2003, 12:50 PM
If I am not mistaken, the actual coat was brown. While they were shooting ESB, they used some filters that made the coat appear blue in some scenes and brown in others.

OCB
03-12-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
What I love is that the "blue" evidence pic they put up is actually brown! It's just that the pic is dark so it seems to have a grape color to it, but brightening it in photoshop, lview, and paintshop pro all showed it to be as brown as Chewie's fur.
That is my favorite part as well JT :)

BTW, thanks to you oh so many years ago I was a blue to brown convert. I have made it my quest to make everyone know that the coat is brown...

icatch9...check out this thread at Rebelscum for some pictoral debate, mostly from production stills

http://forums.rebelscum.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=36;t=004804#000000

jedi-cpa
03-12-2003, 01:10 PM
Does anyone else get the idea that after years and years, hasbro has finally realized that not only is the collector the one that drives the sales of these figs, but that that can be exploited.

Endor soldier, Goatee no goatee
Rebel and imperial officers with different colored hair.
Repacks
and Now han in two different coats.
I am all for this. I didn't collect the variations in the first line, and I probably won't collect too many of the variations in this line, but it is nice that they are offered.

Beast
03-12-2003, 01:11 PM
This is really the best thing that Hasbro could have done. Regardless of which they would have done, there would have been one very vocal group that felt screwed. Especially the brown supporters, since they are the ones that are right. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bobafrett
03-12-2003, 01:18 PM
I'm just wondering, since Hasbro, I would assume has to get approval from Lucas on these toys, couldn't they just ask them straight out? I'll probably pick up both, but I think they should have which ever color, blue or brown stamped with an "official color of the ESB Han jacket" on the package of the one with the correct official color.

I'm going back to bed.

JediTricks
03-12-2003, 01:40 PM
In the movie, the coat is brown. There was a prototype of the coat that was blue, but this wasn't used on Han in the film in any shots I know of.

OCB, glad I could make a convincing argument about something. :D

I'm sure Lucaslicensing has already approved this, I can't imagine Hasbro not asking by this stage of the game and I can't imagine why LFL would say "no" anyway since the vinty one was blue.

OCB
03-12-2003, 01:43 PM
I'm wondering if the coat even still exists...

For some really cool stuff check out this thread at Galactic Hunter...

licensing slick (http://www.toysrgus.com/johna/hanhoth.jpg)

It includes the original Kenner licensing slick and a Pantone color, which is what...BROWN, not Blue. Just proves that Kenner screwed the pooch...

AmanaMatt
03-12-2003, 01:51 PM
This idea is probably the best idea Hasbro has had in regards to appeasing all of the fans. Great idea. Anyone see their ad for this fig?

Very, very funny.

jjreason
03-12-2003, 02:17 PM
Im all for this too. The coat does look brown in some spots, but to me it's always been blue (probably because of the vintage toy). Im sure that if the original coat were to be tracked down today, the original dark blue colour would look to have faded into a brown due to the lights of whatever museum it had been displayed at since 1980. ;) :D

Beast
03-13-2003, 04:15 AM
I have to laugh at Yakface. Apperantly they weren't invited to Hasbro's for the press/retailer event today. Which is no suprise, since the site has been going down hill for sometime. So they had to make a vindictive post about Hasbro. :rolleyes: :p

Gotta Love Hasbro
March 12, 2003 | 5:45 PM EST | Mark

In just another shameful attempt to grab more money from the die hard collectors. Hasbro has decided to make the new Hoth Han Solo in two different versions. One with a BLUE coat and one with a BROWN coat. The blue coat will be available first, with the brown one following shortly thereafter. You can read all about it right HERE at the official Star Wars website.
Yes, far be it from Hasbro to attempt to actually please people. If they had made it blue, the brown camp would have been up in arms. And if they would have made it brown, the blue camp would be crying foul. Sounds to me like Yakface is just having a temper tantrum. To that I say, Mock Mock. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mark2d2
03-13-2003, 05:00 AM
This is cool news . . . (As a vintage fan it's BLUE for me, thank you.)

Now if Hasbro would just do a "non- split" version of the figure. Since when did Han become so good at doing Yoda? Er . . . I mean Yoga.

Beast
03-13-2003, 05:05 AM
So as a vintage fan, do you still call Zuckess and 4-Lom by the wrong names? Kenner screwed up in the day, atleast they finally are making ammends to the 3 3/4" scale fans. Since the 12" figure has had a movie accurate coat for a while now. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mark2d2
03-13-2003, 05:13 AM
Frankly, in my opinion, the Coat just looks better Blue. It's more fashion forward and poor Han is always looking far too drab anyway. :sur:

The whole Zuckuss versus 4-Lom thing has never interested me much as neither character has enough personality for me to really care one way or the other . . . :o

And --- Yes! I'd love a modern Saga version of the classic Blue Snaggletooth Mishap. Now that would be totally cool . . . .:D

187-Maul
03-13-2003, 08:07 AM
I'm glad that Habsro decided to do this, although I don't want him it's cool that they're actually trying to satisfy all customers
as for me, the coat is definitly brown

OCB
03-13-2003, 08:42 AM
Zutton is as close as you'll get to getting a Blue Snaggletooth methinks :)

Since you can't link to Galactic Hunter here (WTF???) Here is my I wanted to share on this very subject with some history on the whole Kenner screw up:

Just wanted to add this which I posted at RS too, thanks for the color stuff MisterPL and I agree there is still some wiggle room but in my mind its case closed, those slicks are Uber cool Bill and Ed!

Bill Cable and Ed Lee have a bunch of the original vintage LFL slicks which were used by Kenner to make the original figures. These slicks are the bible by which all suppliers of SW products have to follow to make sure that all SW product is uniform...

The slick for Hoth Han is here:

http://www.creaturecantina.com/news_images/2001/scans/1205hanhoth.jpg

The color called out on the slick is 405U...which according to MisterPL is in reference to the color scheme Pantone.

Cross referencing that color with a Patone chart...

http://www.thesignfactory.com/pantone.html

You get brown

http://www.looland.nl/pms/images/p347.jpg

MisterPL also checked with LFL sources and asked what the current color, they relayed that it is PMS 411,
also Brown

http://www.looland.nl/pms/images/p353.jpg

These slicks pretty much seal the deal for me that Kenner screwed up and made every youth in America think Han's coat was blue, it is not...and Hasbro designers seem to have the same color problems.

The only loophole here is that the color is taken from Production stills...so the debate may never be over, the lighting and things used in the base make the coat look really dark, almost black...I'd think the official LFL color is what should used and its not...end of story???

amidalak
03-13-2003, 09:51 AM
truthfully, i just don't care, i just don't want a han solo stretching for a 5 K run. but that's par for the course, do something cool like both color jackets and then hose it up with a dumb pose or silly action feature. my biggest problem with the first potf2 hoth han was the pose!

187-Maul
03-13-2003, 09:59 AM
BTW, what I forgot to add was that (in case you hadn't noticed) the pic of Han in the brown coat is definitly photo-shopped cause there are exactly the same shadows and everything, but I guess the final color will still look like in the pic

OzOtter
03-13-2003, 04:17 PM
I think it's great they are doing both versions. To me the coat always looked blue, especially indoors. I had never even come across this debate, until Hasbro made both versions. I've since read enough (although I'll be checking the movie when I get home) to convince me that the coat used in production was in fact brown. But that doesn't change the fact that in the movie it looks blue (again, I'm going to double check it tonight). So I'll get the blue one for my dioramas, and the brown one for posterity.

And for the record, I don't feel screwed by Hasbro for buying both. I think it's a riot!

Jerjerrod
03-13-2003, 05:35 PM
For me, I hope to find the brown one, but with my kinda luck, the blue ones will probably flood the pegs. Since the photos were photoshop, I hope the brown coat is a little more darker for the final version.

Beast
03-13-2003, 05:39 PM
Jerjerrod, supposedly they'll produce them in 50/50 runs just like the previous head change figures. The blue one will ship first, and then in future cases, the brown one will ship. They didn't want to ship both blue and brown at the same time, because then they would only be packed at 1 per case. And then you end up with shortages, since collectors will buy both. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
03-14-2003, 01:08 AM
Far be it for me to defend Hasbro (most of you know I have serious complaints about the way they've handled Star Wars for a while now), but even I don't think this is a sinister move their part - they had blue and brown pants for POTF2 Han Endor, why not here?

BTW JJB, I heard that Yak was at the show yesterday, I'm pretty sure they were invited.

I personally think the coat looks better in brown since that's how it is in the film version and really it suits Han's character better IMO than a bright blue coat, but I don't care if you guys buy it blue or not. The only problem I have with this is that it might go down like the recent Endor Trooper with and without goatee, the latter of which came later and thus isn't as easy to find.

I agree with Jerjerrod, the coat should be a bit darker, the POTF2 one isn't dark enough.

Beast
03-14-2003, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
BTW JJB, I heard that Yak was at the show yesterday, I'm pretty sure they were invited.
Odd. They have no coverage at all up. Usually if they don't have anything, they will atleast mention one of the other sites. And Adam and Mike from GH don't remember seeing anyone from there being there. Either way, a lot of people are saying that Yakface was a bit out of line with the comment. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks