PDA

View Full Version : Why are new $20 bills so inferior?

JediTricks
03-12-2003, 12:17 PM
The twenty dollar bill has been a very common bill in the last 25 years. Since the invention of the ATM which often spews only twenties, this bill has changed hands more often than any bill besides the one. Recently, we changed over from the old bill with its classic design and limited security features to the new bill with a new look and lots more security features (my favorite is the color-changing "20" at the bottom right).

But there is one way where the new 20 is badly inferior to the classic - durability. I remember in the last decade getting 20s from the bank that were dated from the 1960s and 1970s which were in adequate condition; today though, most of the 20s I get that are new bills from '98 on are in shabby condition and look like they won't survive 10 years of standard rotation. Has anybody else noticed this? Does anybody have a clue as to what the reason for this might be? It seems like the taxpaying public will have to spend a lot more to replace all these burnout bills.

The Overlord Returns
03-12-2003, 12:20 PM
So...is your new 20 a different color.....I had seen a report on CNN that said it would be the first bill not to be green...

I found this funny, as Americans tend to think our Canadian coloured bills look like "monopoly" money.... ;)

Fulit
03-12-2003, 01:08 PM
Maybe the crappiness is harder to replicate, discouraging counterfeiters.

2-1B
03-12-2003, 01:21 PM
My only complaint with the new money is that fresh bills out the ATM are too prone to sticking together. I know that was possible with the old bills too, but these current ones seem much worse.

The idea of "crisp" is now lost on me as these new ones feel more like actual paper.

As for the durability issues, I've not paid any attention to that. Interesting. :)

InsaneJediGirl
03-12-2003, 01:59 PM
I've noticed a few 20s,the new ones,which are pretty cruddy.Bent,creased,discolored,etc..while the older ones seem to be wrinkled and the like,its not as bad.

Maybe because they changed the paper formula??:confused:

James Boba Fettfield
03-12-2003, 02:04 PM
I converted to plastic. Do what you must with your paper currency.

Kidhuman
03-12-2003, 07:34 PM
I havent seen any yet or I just havent paid attention.

JediTricks
03-13-2003, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by The Overlord Returns
So...is your new 20 a different color.....I had seen a report on CNN that said it would be the first bill not to be green...

I found this funny, as Americans tend to think our Canadian coloured bills look like "monopoly" money.... ;) I'll be honest, European money and Canadian money does look quite "monopoly-esque" with its non-green colors. The American 20 is the same color, but the number "20" in the lower right corner on the front of the bill has this iridescent material that makes it turn different colors at different angles.

Fulit, wouldn't "crappiness" be easier to forge? I mean, look at all the lame bootleg SW figs out there. :D

Caesar, that's true, these bills do stick together worse than the old ones when they're fresh, I figure it's from those crazy new security measures, but it could just be all that raised ink on both sides interlocking like 2 Lego bricks.

InsaneJediGirl, I wouldn't think the US treasury would change the paper that much since it's a special paper stock meant to combat forgery, but I guess really thinking about it, that's the most logical explanation.

Ok folks, for those who haven't noticed yet, compare your next new and old 20s and get back to us.

James Boba Fettfield
03-13-2003, 05:08 AM
Oh ok, I thought you were complaining about the NexGen money the Federal Reserve announced a year ago. I thought maybe the 20's were already out there and that's what you were complaining about.

After some quick research we won't be seeing those 20's until this fall. Sorry for being confused.

As for our current 20's, the ones that were just released a few years ago, I have never had any problems with them, but I don't handle money a lot. Usually just small stuff like 5's and 1's.

JediTricks
03-13-2003, 11:43 PM
Heh heh, I didn't even know they had announced yet another new 20. :D

Emperor Howdy
03-14-2003, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Does anybody have a clue as to what the reason for this might be?

Because everyone keeps folding them over and over again doing the burning WTC/Pentagon trick. :rolleyes:

You know.........the secret message on the $20?.....the clue to the secret government conspiracy?.....where Bush knew the whole time?...:rolleyes:

12inch Lando
03-14-2003, 05:57 AM
Just what in the hell are you talking about Howdy? Be careful now. The last time we talked our posts mysteriously disappeared. Talk about a conspiracy. I hope you're feeling better BTW:D

The Overlord Returns
03-14-2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Emperor Howdy
Because everyone keeps folding them over and over again doing the burning WTC/Pentagon trick. :rolleyes:

You know.........the secret message on the $20?.....the clue to the secret government conspiracy?.....where Bush knew the whole time?...:rolleyes:

Wait...isn't the secret message on american money that of the all seeing eye....a secret sign that The US is truly in the hands of the Freemasons, and the mysterious illuminati? ;)

12inch Lando
03-14-2003, 09:13 AM
Why is the new $20 bill so inferior?

Because it can't fill my gas tank anymore.:cry: :cry: :cry:

Exhaust Port
03-14-2003, 10:16 AM
I've never noticed trouble with the newer designed bills. But perhaps the reason the $20's aren't standing up as long as the previous $20's were is that the $20 is now used more. In the 70's and 80's a $10 would get you more and was therefor a more heavily circulated bill. Now the $20 is more useful and there for more circulated than it use to be, and more worn on average. Perhaps?

I'm actually looking forward to the new colorful $20's. I think the all green arrangement we have now is nice but it's time for change. Protection from counterfiting should be a priority and going to a full color layout is the only way to do that. Bring it on.

JediTricks
03-14-2003, 07:04 PM
I dunno EP, in the early '90s when I was working a cash drawer for "the man" ;) we turned over more twenties than anything but ones and quarters, and those twenties were usually in adequate circulated condition. I got a handful of twenties from the bank yesterday and half of the new ones were torn and frayed and faded where they had been previously folded.

Exhaust Port
03-14-2003, 09:26 PM
Perhaps money in general is seeing more wear with the explosion of ATM use in the last 10 years.

Emperor Howdy
03-14-2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by 12inch Lando
Just what in the hell are you talking about Howdy? Be careful now. The last time we talked our posts mysteriously disappeared. Talk about a conspiracy. I hope you're feeling better BTW:D

Huh? You mean you don't know about......"the conspiracy"?

**camera quickly zooms in and out with loud intense music** :eek:

"the conspiracy" (http://www.glennbeck.com/news/05172002.shtml)

Originally posted by The Overlord Returns
Wait...isn't the secret message on american money that of the all seeing eye....a secret sign that The US is truly in the hands of the Freemasons, and the mysterious illuminati? ;)

Perhaps true at one time, Overlord, until the sharp eye found the web-spinning spider hidden on the dollar bill.....a secret sign that the U.S. is actually in the hands of the Arachnid People!!! :eek:

The Arachnid People. :(

Ummm....there are no Arachnid People, are there...:stupid:

Stupid older brother. :mad:

Originally posted by Exhaust Port
Perhaps money in general is seeing more wear with the explosion of ATM use in the last 10 years.

Hey, good one Exhaust Port. Definately a possibility.

EricRG
03-18-2003, 03:07 AM
I like spiders.