PDA

View Full Version : Elizabeth Smart Found Alive

Kidhuman
03-12-2003, 08:33 PM
Elizabeth Smart the girl that was kidnapped from her home in June of 2002 was fdound alive. As happy as it is, it comes as a shock to me. I just figured that she was murdered. I am so happy that she and her family can put it behind her. Thank God she was alive after 9 months of wondering and agonizing pain for her family.

Eternal Padawan
03-13-2003, 08:17 AM
Miracles do happen. In the wake of relentless, never-ending tragedy in the world and on the news, this is truly a wonderous thing to see.

My unbridled joy goes out to her and her family.:cry: :D :cry: :D

James Boba Fettfield
03-13-2003, 08:26 AM
Now let's convict the people who kidnapped her and terminate their lives. Of course they'll be sentenced for 10 years and be released to do this again.

The Overlord Returns
03-13-2003, 09:31 AM
It really is incredible that she's been found alive. A wonderous event in times like these...

So, my understanding is she was found with 2 people. Were they both males? Male and a Female?

I caught an interview with the father this morning, talking about how she seems to have been brainwashed...sort of a stockholm syndrome thing...

QLD
03-13-2003, 09:40 AM
She was found with 2 people, a man and a woman. The man was a roaming street preacher who had done handywork for the family before. He said that he wanted another wife, and God told him that was the one.

Exhaust Port
03-13-2003, 10:07 AM
This is just awesome that they found the girl. Miracles can happen it seems. :)

Eternal Padawan
03-13-2003, 02:07 PM
I was watching the dad this morning, too. He was telling how the police called him down to the station but they didn't say anything about why, and they led him onto the room and she was there and I thought "My, that's very dramatic. I wonder who on the police force was thinking ahead to the TV movie of the week for the reunion scene?" I know that's not why they did it, but that's what popped into my head.

Once again, I am overjoyed that she was found alive. :D

El Chuxter
03-13-2003, 03:25 PM
This is such wonderful news that words cannot convey the emotion necessary; only the ecstatic smiley can do so.

:D

Amy
03-13-2003, 04:46 PM
Yes this is so wonderful, and in times like this we need more good news such as this.:)

Fulit
03-13-2003, 06:06 PM
They make it sound like the guy did regular work for the family. The truth is, the mother met him on the street where he was panhandling, and invited him to their home to do work for her husband. How frickin stupid is that? I just don't think that's ever a good plan.

So good she is back though, there was a little girl kidnapped here in Arkansas near Ft. Smith about 9 years ago, and they never found her. Her mother is very active in child abduction awareness, despite her grief, which must be unreal. They showed her on TV last night, saying how happy she was for the Smarts, and I couldn't help thinking how it must affect the parents out there still missing children. I know they're happy for them, but can't help thinking, why can't their child be found?

No one would admit it at the time last summer, but we all gave her up for dead after a certain amount of tiume had passed. It is such a pleasant shock to see a positive outcome. This has not started off to be a very lucky year, lots of death and threats of death. Events like this breed hope.

On a final note, can anyone tell me why some drug users get more prison time than frickin child molesters ? This legal system needs a swift kick in the......

jjreason
03-14-2003, 02:19 PM
Very difficult to understand. Up here it seems the druggies get nothing, which ain't right either.

I hope Elizabeth will be able to readjust to her old life. Can you imagine her mental state? Unreal. I hope the government is ready to help her family with the counselling and therapy bills.

Fulit
03-14-2003, 02:20 PM
off the subject, but to answer jjreason, druggies need rehab and paddlings, IMO, not to be put in prison to learn how to be better criminals.

derek
03-14-2003, 02:33 PM
i'm glad this girl is back where she belongs, but am i the only one who finds this whole ordeal wierd? apparently she had many opportunities to escape and was in public numerous times where she could of ran for help, but didn't. she even lied to the police when they asked what her name is. there are even photos of them at a party where she really could of gotten help.

if she were really "brainwashed" or whatever they call this disorder, how did she know who her family was when they sent her home?

the guy who kidnapped her was put in jail twice since he "kidnapped" her. this just dosen't all add up. but one thing i do know.........i see a movie of the week somewhere here!:crazed:

i think this girl is the real life "kim bauer". not only does she look just like the actress who plays keifer sutherland's daughter on "24", but she seems about as bright as kim as well. maybe next season, kim can get kidnapped by a religous cult!;)

Kidhuman
03-14-2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by derek
i think this girl is the real life "kim bauer". not only does she look just like the actress who plays keifer sutherland's daughter on "24", but she seems about as bright as kim as well. maybe next season, kim can get kidnapped by a religous cult!;)

That is a good one.

She might have been to scared to ask for help. I think Stolkholm Syndrome is what they call it. She is too scared to escape or something. But no matter what she is home alive which is the main thing. Only time will tell if she really wanted away from her family.

jjreason
03-15-2003, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by Fulit
off the subject, but to answer jjreason, druggies need rehab and paddlings, IMO, not to be put in prison to learn how to be better criminals.

Okay, as long as they're not doing real crime to support their habits. Is a druggy robber or b and e artist a druggy, or a robber / b and e artist? Ask the guy who got jacked up or had his pad boosted. Using drugs isn't getting these guys put away all by itself, it's what being addicted to drugs leads to that's the real problem, in my opinion.

Oh, and Stockholm syndrome is actually a situation where the hostage/victim starts to feel sympathy for the hostage taker (due to the incredible mental strain, fear, etc.) and can sometimes even feel like they're on the same side. Like Patty Hearst, or maybe even Jean Chretien. :D

jjreason
03-15-2003, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by Fulit

Okay, question. Is the crack addict who does home invasions or robberies just so he can hit the pipe a "druggy" then? Or is he a criminal that should do time? Drug use isn't what sends these guys away - it's what being addicted to drugs leads to that is the real problem.

Oh, and Stockholm syndrome happens when the hostage starts to feel sympathetic to the cause of the hostage taker. They even may fall in love with them, or want to join them. It's a psychological coping mechanism - your minds way of trying to get itself out of a dangerous situation. Kind of like Patty Hearst, or Jean Chretien. :D

Tycho
03-15-2003, 01:17 PM
Brain washing, in the case I think they are applying it to, means that she is persuaded to believe that her abductor is receiving messages from God, or whatever he claims, and that at her young, and easily influenced age, Elizabeth might have felt that he could be telling the truth - or that he could at least believe that it was his mission from God to harm her or her family if she tried to escape.

It wouldn't mean she'd forget her family, literally (like not know their names or faces). Language is so imprecise, that if you read "she was taught to forget her family," it might mean that she doesn't know their names or faces, or it might (and more logically refer to) meaning that she was taught to forget about escaping and returning to her family because he life was so changed, or she felt so threatened.

It begs the questions, "was Jesus just crazy, and Mary a liar?" or "if Jesus returned today, would we dismiss him as another crazy pauper, if all he offered was his word as proof?"

When something requires faith versus tangible evidence, it is much more difficult to be 100% sure you are on the correct path to enlightenment.

But I'm very glad for Elizabeth and her family.

She is a very nice looking young girl, and I'm not at all surprised that a guy would use any excuse to do what her abductor did to her.

It's always a shame, but in this particular case, the psychological damage could be extreme, because the mental anguish must have been. Elizabeth is a very brave girl to be beginning her readjustment with her family, amidst all the paperazzi, all so very soon.