PDA

View Full Version : AF Jedi Starfighter - fully-retracting landing gear?

JediTricks
03-13-2003, 03:53 AM
Well, this looks like an ok set, and it's nice to actually have a version of this ship with the proper landing gear since the Saga version has no rear gear. But do the landing gear not retract flush into the body? Strange this is, mad Yoda would be if flying this thing through an atmosphere he had to.

AndyW
03-13-2003, 04:05 AM
From the pics I've seen so far, I couldn't tell if they could go into the body. Could it be the one on display had the landing gear down just for show? I kinda hope they do retract, we need to see more of the thing!

matthewilw
03-13-2003, 02:05 PM
I didn't think the landing gear retracted either until I a picture of the bottom of the ship. It actually looks like it might retract fully, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

:crazed:

LTBasker
03-13-2003, 02:56 PM
I dunno, looks like they might retract, but considering they didn't bulk up the Trooper transport just to give it retractable gear, it's doubtful, even though the JSF does look bigger than the transport. :crazed: :stupid:

haggie
03-13-2003, 03:27 PM
Even worse, why no hyperspeed-ring-thingy?

Jangu Fett
03-13-2003, 05:26 PM
I'm pleased with the photos, I've seen of the Jedi Starfighter. It would be nice if the landing gear did close flush against the ship, but. I can't complain about it. I'm really excited because this AF ships cockpit looks big enough for figures. I'm trying not to get my hopes to high, but I'm still really excited.

mogomra
03-13-2003, 06:21 PM
Isn't it a bit premature to start criticizing the landing gear? I mean, no one has actually handled it yet.

Glitch explained in another thread (sorry, search isn't working) that the prototype for the Jedi Starfighter Action Fleet toy was turned in before ILM/Lucas came up with the hyperdrive ring concept, a very late addition to the film.

I have high hopes for this one. The weathering doesn't look too extreme, no severe "battle damage" that I was expecting from intitial descriptions, but I would like a hyperdrive ring, too. Right now the only Jedi Starfighter available with a hyperdrive ring is the Fine Molds kit, and I don't have the skill or patience to tackle it.

JediTricks
03-14-2003, 12:27 AM
Maybe I'm wrong, I sure hope I am, but it doesn't seem like it from the pics we put up yesterday. There's a shot (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/photo/showphoto.php?photo=1703&papass=&sort=1&thecat=646) of the underside of the ship where it may have cutouts but they don't seem like they could be wide enough or deep enough to get these flush with the body. I just don't want to see another AF where they simply gave up trying to get it right and let it go to market unfinished. I'll change the title of the thread though.

AndyW
03-14-2003, 12:31 AM
I suppose we'll just have to wait and see, there looks to be some sort of metal component just above the landing gear pad, I might be wrong but I wouldn't stick that in if it wasn't used for something, if the gear didn't retract I would have thought there would be no need for metal parts. That said, I don't even know if that component is metal! :D

Either way, looks like another great little action fleet, dare I ask when we can expect this? I hate this waiting, before I discovered this place the first I'd know about them coming out would be news from SW.com or seeing them in the stores!

Curse you all! :D

LTBasker
03-14-2003, 05:11 AM
Guys, look at the shadows and such, they do FULLY retract with the ship, and even better, the angled rods slide in so that only the foot pad is visible, thus creating fully flush gear. It looks like the front end will be a bit revealed, but no biggy. I hope it stays that way, IIRC that ship would actually big enough to fit 3-4 Obi figures in the cockpit. :eek:

AndyW
03-14-2003, 06:08 AM
Maybe Obi Wans put on some weight in the first year of the clone wars, or something :D

Glitch
03-14-2003, 11:15 AM
The reason we did not include the hyperspace ring in our design was because we were not given any references of it from LFL. We did not even know of its existence until well after our designs were turned over to Hasbro.

I would have LOVED to include it. If fact, we were looking for ANY way possible to add more value to this rather small ship. Since it was smaller than the other sips we designed, we added more elaborate features. The first was a turning R2 head that was activated by twisting the left rear engine clockwise and counterclockwise. Turning the right engine would lower the landing gear and open the cockpit simultaneously. I was pretty happy with what we came up with for such a small ship. They were both really cool action features, yet still maintained the ship's small size and thin form with some very simple gear mechanisms. Needless to say, we also designed the cockpit to accommodate an AF figure. Too bad we will never see figures with the ships again. :(

The reason that the Hasbro design does not have the ring or the features is becuase of cost restrictions. :(

I will say one thing, the proto that was shown at the "Collectors Event" did look VERY nice in detail and paint, but it is still not AF the way it should be.

sicqnus
03-14-2003, 11:53 AM
I wouldn't say that, :eek: the Jedi Starfighter looks really amazing. It is really nicely made. Concerning the Hyperdrive ring... maybe later, when we will see better days, better sales, better economical health. I think everything is gonna be better in a few months and then... why not in a battle pack ? :rolleyes:

Glitch, could you tell us wich Calamari cruiser will be the one included in the june release, the winged one or the cylindrical one ?:confused:
Anyway i've ordered several units of each new Action Fleet for me and my buddies.:D

AndyW
03-14-2003, 12:35 PM
Ah the Liberty or Home One, that would settle an arguement me and my mate are having at the moment, I want Liberty, he wants Home One!

RE: The Hyperspace ring, sure, would have been nice, but I'm just glad that its made it to action fleet size, I have a huge Jedi Starfighter for the full size figs that I'll get rid of when the AF comes out, I only bought it cos I like the ship so much!

Glitch
03-14-2003, 02:25 PM
I did not work on the the Mon Calamari cruiser, that is all Hasbro's doing. The way it worked out, I guess we really had nothing to do with any of the AF product that is showing up on the shelves these days.

If I had, I would not be able to look at myself in the mirror again. :)

LTBasker
03-14-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Glitch
Since it was smaller than the other sips we designed, we added more elaborate features. The first was a turning R2 head that was activated by twisting the left rear engine clockwise and counterclockwise. Turning the right engine would lower the landing gear and open the cockpit simultaneously. I was pretty happy with what we came up with for such a small ship. They were both really cool action features, yet still maintained the ship's small size and thin form with some very simple gear mechanisms. Needless to say, we also designed the cockpit to accommodate an AF figure. Too bad we will never see figures with the ships again. :(

!!! That would've been so awesome! I can just imagine what you would've done with the bigger Clone Trooper transport, yeesh that would've rocked.

If only Hasbro would hire ex-Galoobians back instead of running it into the ground.

mogomra
03-20-2003, 09:18 AM
Dunno if this was noticed by anyone:

http://starwars.hasbro.com/pl/page.repnews/sec.story/showlg.244/dn/bh.cfm

AndyW
03-20-2003, 01:00 PM
Nice one, hadn't seen this.

SWAFMAN
03-20-2003, 05:31 PM
Looks like a drawing. Anyone know if it's a photo or artist's rendering?

matthewilw
03-20-2003, 05:42 PM
it's not a drawing, it's an actual photo

SWAFMAN
03-20-2003, 05:44 PM
the detailing is beautiful

JediTricks
03-21-2003, 03:41 AM
Grr, I dislike Hasbro's studio pics because more often than not they're inaccurate due to using prototypes with better sculpting or detailing or whatever.

Nice pic, but I don't expect it to actually COME that way.