PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro Anouncements-New Jedi Starfighters

AndyW
03-13-2003, 04:18 AM
Hi all, don't normally post outside of the Micromachines/Action fleet board, but due to some of the new hasbro ships shown at the event yesterday, thought I would today!

Just wondering what people thought of the new Anakin Starfighter, looks like bits of the Delta 7 Athersprite fighter (Jedi Starfighter) and elements of anakins old pod racer. Is this design from the comic series thats out at the moment? Its certainly different, bit of a hot rod ship.

Also nice to see the Jedi Starfighter in 'green squadron' colours.

Heres some pics of the new Anakin starfighter.

AndyW
03-13-2003, 04:20 AM
And heres one of the toy itself...

AndyW
03-13-2003, 04:22 AM
And finally another one, hmmm, stealthy paint job anakin!

mark2d2
03-13-2003, 05:30 AM
Interesting . . . At least it's not just yet another Jedi Starfighter.

I'll probably pass on it though as I have WAYYYYYYYYY too many vehicles. And will definitely be getting that spiffy new Geo. Fighter (If the figure is removable . . . .) And (OF COURSE!!!!!) the SANDCRAWLER which is now confirmed --- though delayed somewhere down the pipeline . . . :crazed:

JEDIpartner
03-13-2003, 07:50 AM
Actually, it's not elements of a pod racer... It looks more like they incorporated portions of the hyperdrive ring.

Interesting, but no more vehicles until the next movie for me... unless it's a new standard TIE Fighter! :happy:

stillakid
03-13-2003, 09:09 AM
Definitely shades of the podracer in there...paint scheme...big front engines. Plus it feels a bit like that cruisemissile trooper (http://www.figures.com/archives/images/06/906.jpg) from a while back. It looks like something a toy company would come up with, not a film production designer.

I hope that this doesn't show up on screen for Episode III.

aceguide
03-13-2003, 11:12 AM
I think they look very cool. Wanting more information on them and how they fit into the grand scheme of the Clone Wars...

El Chuxter
03-13-2003, 12:03 PM
I was going to pass on this when I thought it was a standard Starfighter redone in green, but now it looks pretty cool, with the gonzo paint job the wizard styling and all. :)

jad
03-13-2003, 01:47 PM
I really love the design of the ship myself. I think it looks way better than anything that was ever conceived by the books or comics. It is still kinda EU but I it's cool enough to make me wanna buy it.

plasticfetish
03-13-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by AndyW
and elements of anakins old pod racer.

Good observation! Yeah for sure with the engines up front it looks like the pod racer ... looks a little like an x-wing what with the 4 top and bottom guns.

Not too bad I think. Now, if they could start using removable R2 units with these ... they'd be great.

Amy
03-13-2003, 03:33 PM
Hmmm, I saw this last night(pics of course), and I'm still not sure what I think about it lol. I have so many vehicles aready(and I still dont have the Y-WING or B-WING), so I'll pass.

dr_evazan22
03-13-2003, 07:52 PM
The view in your 2nd pic of the 4 lasers reminds me of the X-Wing a little.

Tycho
03-14-2003, 12:28 AM
I am sure I like this, and I'll be buying it!

I think that it's great to get an EU ship that is actually the right scale to the action figures. The Outrider failed miserably in that aspect, and swoop bikes are not full-sized vehicles, nor were the "Ralph McQuarries".

I think this is the first larger craft we've gotten that is EU.

For all we know we could get to see a Yuuzhan Vong Corral Skipper one day.

Or Hasbro may already know that this starfighter appears in Anakin's control in Episode III, because they are already that far along in the production design.

I don't care. It's cool. That's all I have to say.

JediTricks
03-14-2003, 01:09 AM
I didn't see this piece yesterday because I was only editing SSG's Saga pics, not CW, but this looks a lot better than that green straight-repaint. I'd buy this even though the rear fins seem more like Batman than SW.

I hope the CW line doesn't tank, I want all those vehicles released.

plasticfetish
03-14-2003, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by Tycho
Or Hasbro may already know that this starfighter appears in Anakin's control in Episode III

I wouldn't be surprised ... the question is, did that drawing originate from someone at Hasbro or was it something from Lucasfilm?

Beast
03-14-2003, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by plasticfetish
I wouldn't be surprised ... the question is, did that drawing originate from someone at Hasbro or was it something from Lucasfilm?
Funny that you should ask. It was someone at Lucasfilm that designed the Anakin's Starfighter. Here's the link to the offical site. :)

Spotlight: Anakin's modified Jedi starfighter

Anakin's starfighter began as a standard Delta-7 Aethersprite that was heavily modified by the Chosen One to suit his demanding tastes for speed and control. It is more heavily armed than the standard Jedi starfighter, and handles better during atmospheric flight. These concept design sketches are by Ryan Church, one of the Concept Design Supervisors for Episodes II and III.

http://www.starwars.com/collecting/news/2003/03/news20030313.html

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

plasticfetish
03-14-2003, 01:27 AM
Yeah ... I JUST spotted that (the drawings looked too nice to be from Hasbro) ... very cool. I sort of like that dark blue color a little more, but I'm sure the version that ends up on the shelves will be a bit different.

The ship looks really cool in that profile drawing ... it'll be cool to see what it (maybe) ends up looking like in the film!

** edit **
I just noticed that I used the word "cool" 3 times above ... that's not cool.

Beast
03-14-2003, 01:31 AM
If it's in the film. Remeber that this stuff was being designed most likely atleast a year ago. Due to the fact, that it takes Hasbro almost a full year to go from design to production. It could have been a peice of concept art, that Lucas has since decided didn't work for E3. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

AndyW
03-14-2003, 04:15 AM
Was just reading this too, cool stuff.

Prince Xizor
03-14-2003, 12:27 PM
I agree with Jeditricks, I really hope this line doesn't tank. I can't wait to get my hands on all this stuff and set-up a giant Clone Wars battle in my basement.

I really like Ani's Starfighter, especially how they used parts of his pod racer to make it. Good thinking. I also like the placement of the R2 unit. I always thought it would make sense to have it head-on.

Can't Wait... Can't Wait... Can't Wait...

LTBasker
03-15-2003, 12:08 PM
Theres also a pic floating around with someone holding it with the extended wings popped out (I guess they swing out).

The design is interesting to say the least, you can tell the fins were taken from the Podracer, cause the front of the pod also had fins like that as well.

One thing I really hate about this though is that it is just a modified Jedi Starfighter, they aren't using the wing inner space for that much and so they could've made some sort of retractable back landing gear.

LTBasker
03-15-2003, 12:16 PM
Here's the extended wings picture.

kool-aid killer
03-16-2003, 12:50 PM
I like the color of the ship. This Clone Wars line looks really promising. Cool looking figures and vehicles (my armies look really sad without many vehicles) Hopefully they will throw in a nice looking playset to go with all the new toys.

JediTricks
03-16-2003, 09:20 PM
Dagnabit! In that pic you can see that even though they (thankfully) left out the headrest, they kept the seat too far forward like the original toy.

And yeah, retractable landing legs in the back would have been nice.

Darth Cruel
03-17-2003, 12:36 AM
that the modifications are obviously copied from his podracer, they couldn't have been taken directly from it as he sold it right after the race.

(edit) Oh, yeah. And I WILL own one.

Beast
03-17-2003, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by Darth Cruel
that the modifications are obviously copied from his podracer, they couldn't have been taken directly from it as he sold it right after the race.
And we all know, according to the Phantom Menace novel who exactly bought that Podracer, don't we. ;) For those that don't, Qui-Gon sold it to Sebulba who had lost his pod in the race. Just an intresting tidbit, for those who hadn't read the novel in sometime. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

aceguide
03-17-2003, 02:52 PM
I hope the actual vehicle matches the concept sketches. Very nice all around. Certainly can see a pod reference there.

Jargo
03-18-2003, 04:08 PM
Hope the wing guns look more refined than those blocky things. smaller and flatter to the bodywork. I'm still not sold on this Anakin fighter. I love the green jedi starfighter but this modified one seems a wee bit contrived to me. Too many modifications. I think it might be the pod fins that do it for me. the turbo jet thrusters are okay and the extended tail fin is fine. Added weaponry is cool but the pod fins are just the gilding of the lily IMO. I'd also have sited the droid further forward. The place it is now it'd interfere with the pilots legs. I know it's just a dome but there is actually quite a bit under a dome to plug into a ship. The housings for that would make the hull thicker in that place which is directly over the place Anakin would have his legs if seated. Another inch forward wouldn't have hurt. But I'll get it if there's a way to effectively remove the pod fins. They just look silly.

chrisc
03-19-2003, 07:41 AM
This vehicle looks really stupid. :dead: get rid of the huge engins on the front and move the R2 unit elsewhere and might be a decent toy. The only way I would buy one of these is for them to go on sale for lees than half price. Then I would see how well it stand up to to so birdshot from a 12 gauge. :evil:

JangoFart
03-27-2003, 01:07 AM
I think it rocks and I like that Anakin's pod racer style can be seen in it. I'll get one and admire it sitting in its box :)

J

darthvyn
04-07-2003, 02:50 PM
i dig it... i haven't bought a SW fig in a long time, and i'm now considering getting this - and possibly two "stock" jedi fighters as his wingmen, with this at point... that would look really cool!

as long as there are some jedi figs that will fit in the cockpits... :rolleyes:

so, how come these pics aren't in the collector's database under "anakin's jedi starfighter" - only the repaint? someone email these to steve...

Jargo
04-11-2003, 07:34 AM
I just noticed on the listing that the private universe posted, the jade green starfighter is Mace Windu's. Now this strikes me as odd. According to official backstory Plo Koon or Saesee Tiin is the ace fighter pilot with lightning fast reflexes, at the press show Hasbroken had Plo koon sitting in the starfighter which actually looked really cool. Mace with his girly purple saber and girly jade green starfighter just doesn't work for me somehow. I could see Mace having a dark starfighter, like deep maroon or something, or a brown color. Not jade. pretty jade... Jade works for the alien jedi though. It somehow fits the vibe of fighting uglies like Plo and Saesee. But never mace. That's just too effeminate for him.

Just thought i'd bring this up. :)

JEDIpartner
04-11-2003, 07:59 AM
Maybe there's something we've yet to learn about Master Windu...! ;)

Jargo
04-11-2003, 01:56 PM
Oh forgot to say before that I have looked long and hard at the anakin starfighter thing for some days now and i have come to the conclusion that it is a big steaming pile of poo. I don't decry anyone else for liking it I just happen to think that it is a big stinking pile of poo. So there. I love the jade starfighter though. I don't think i shall be buying more than one but i love the color change.

What i would have liked to see in the clone wars line though is more stuff from kamino where the clones are being trained. I notice that in RPG they've named the flying pod things the kaminoans patrol the hatchery in. It's a KE-8 Enforcer ship and looks like this below. That would have made a sweet small vehicle for the line and given a different dimension to the war, not only could you amass a grand clone army but also train them with your handy kaminoan KE-8 enforcer ship. I think the name is stupid but the vehicle is cool looking. Cool enough to make a nice deluxe set or a small speeder sized package. Okay so I'm making any escuse to get a want post in for this thing, I'll admit that but i just happen to think this would look cool in 4 inch scale with a new kaminoan figure to go with it.

Teeska Mon Eebon
04-12-2003, 09:21 PM
Hey Jargo that would look cool... I smell a deluxe figure!

JediTricks
04-13-2003, 10:32 PM
Is that KE-8 supposed to be related to Slave 1?

LTBasker
04-13-2003, 10:42 PM
Of course, Jango's the host of the Kaminoians too, they'll be the Officers. What? Of course they look the same between films, they perfectly match up! :crazed:

The KE-8 would be interesting to see done in plastic, though the bio that WotC posted is sad, I don't know if it's official, but it sounds like a ship that Durge would use. It's supposed to be "small" and for minor uses but still an uber-ship. :confused:

Prince Xizor
04-14-2003, 12:42 PM
I would be up for buying that, especially if it came with a random Kamino pilot.

Who wouldn't want to shock some Clones?:D

Dark Marble
04-14-2003, 02:30 PM
I have really fallen out of star wars collecting, but I will most likely get Ani's fighter and the green fighter as well. Just as long as the price points stay around $20. I don't think a repaint and a non-movie vehicle are worth any more than that.

Tycho
04-15-2003, 12:27 AM
Sorry if this has already been noted,

but

Anakin's starfighter is actually in Episode 2!

In the deleted scenes, when Obi-Wan and Mace are walking out, there is a hard-to-define starfighter in the hanger (at the top left of your screen) that is clearly painted with blue or green (and white) stripes!

If it was a movie concept where the starfighter first appeared (from pre-production art) then it's that much more likely the f/x guys would sneak it into the cut scenes.

But that makes me wonder al over again if they will actually use it for Episode III.

LTBasker
04-15-2003, 02:56 AM
The blue/green Starfighter in the cut scene is just a basic Jedi Starfighter. I think the huge engines and the fins adding to the birds-eye-view shape would've been easy to spot. I doubt Anakin at that point has his own Starfighter, and if he does it's likely a regular one to not give people the wrong impression about the Jedi. During the Clone Wars it would make sense for him to be able to modify his Fighter to be more efficient if he went on some missions by himself.