PDA

View Full Version : I'm so SICK of card changes!

keith koth
03-13-2003, 01:46 PM
I just can't hold it back any longer. I am sooooo sick of the card changes on the 3 3/4" figures. As I do not open my figures, the constant change of the cards makes my display look like GARBAGE.

I wish Hasbro would go back to the generic vintage "Kenner style" cards.

Let's see...can I count all of the major card changes on 2 hands?

1. Orange cards with pictures
2. Orange cards with holo stickers
3. Green cards with pictures
4. Green cards with holo stickers
5. Green card w/ freeze frames (my personal favorite next to the vintage style cards)
6. Green cards w/3-D play scene (expanded universe)
7. Green cards w/commtech chips
8. Purple cards (SOTE)
9. Red cards (Episode I)
10. New green cards (POTJ)
11. Blue cards w/ enlarged bubble (2002 Saga line)
12. Blue cards w/enlarged bubble (2003 Saga line...slightly different from 2002 line)
13. Green cards w/flashback photos
AND NOW:

14. Clone Wars cards
15. New Saga cards to be released later this year.

I think that is all, but I wouldn't be supprised if I missed one or two.

WOW!!! I had to use my feet as well as my hands to count all of the major card changes since the reintroduction of the 3 3/4" line in 1996.

15 major card changes in 9 years...this is rediculous.
:crazed:

Masterjedi73
03-13-2003, 02:29 PM
I like the card changes.....it's easier to sort them, and sort of "ends" and era of figures.

I would like to see cards like the old Kenner line though, or the Toy Fair Vader and Silver R2. I liked those cards.

Deoxyribonucleic
03-13-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Masterjedi73

I would like to see cards like the old Kenner line though, or the Toy Fair Vader and Silver R2. I liked those cards.

I like those too and the old kenner backs with the full pics of the characters. However, I gotta say I really like the card style that the new fans choice McQuarrie stormie will be coming on...I dunno, it just looks real neat to me.

Beast
03-13-2003, 02:37 PM
Deoxy, do you mean that white one that turned up a while ago with the triangle wedge with the name? That was proven to be a custom card, and not the actual Hasbro card. Though GH did say that the card will mention it was a McQuarrie Figure. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

keith koth
03-13-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Deoxyribonucleic
I like those too and the old kenner backs with the full pics of the characters. However, I gotta say I really like the card style that the new fans choice McQuarrie stormie will be coming on...I dunno, it just looks real neat to me.

I'm not saying that all of the various card styles are all bad, I would just like some consistancy...my friggin display looks like a darn rainbow.

BTW, what card back is the McQuarrie stormie going to be released on? I must have some how missed that.

Deoxyribonucleic
03-13-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Deoxy, do you mean that white one that turned up a while ago with the triangle wedge with the name? That was proven to be a custom card, and not the actual Hasbro card. Though GH did say that the card will mention it was a McQuarrie Figure. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I think so JJB, did it have red in it and a white background if i remember correctly, or something along those lines...kinda like the new clone wars but different??? (Oh man, I hope I'm making sense here lol)! I saw it here on SSG a ways back but only "the maker" knows where it was posted, or you teehee :)

Ok, so if it's not real :( do you know what kinda card it will be on? I also have this pic from hasbro site and was wondering if the pic off to the upper left is going to be the cardback or is that just part of their artwork to help with the sculpt?

keith koth
03-13-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Masterjedi73
I like the card changes.....it's easier to sort them, and sort of "ends" and era of figures.

What era/eras would that be? :confused:

Kidhuman
03-13-2003, 03:37 PM
I too agree thta the card changes are good. It shows the end of a certain line and lead into another. From POTF into EP1 into POTJ to the current Saga line. I leave mine closed as well and it is easier to sort them when hanging them on the wall. When I move it will be much easier to re-display them in a new room. And when packing them up you can sort them. Also if you wanna go back and look at a figure from a certain line it is a cinch to do. So keep the card changes coming but not very often. Once every year or two is fine.

JediBoulton
03-13-2003, 03:52 PM
Hey Keith -- remember when we were kids how EASY is was to find a certain figure on a peg due to the different pictures that Kenner put on the cards. NOW, when stores stack them so full, its difficult to see the different figures without pulling them ALL off the pegs -- which I have been known to do. The "Picture Cards would be great!! If gives those of us who are carded collectors something colorful to look at and it also makes it easier for the young ones to find the particular figure they are looking for.

OzOtter
03-13-2003, 04:15 PM
I like the card changes too. I open my figs, but keep one on card (preferably a cantina character) from each "card line" just to chronicle the changes in the packaging.

keith koth
03-13-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by kidhuman
I too agree thta the card changes are good. It shows the end of a certain line and lead into another. From POTF into EP1 into POTJ to the current Saga line.

Yes, if you want to call renaming the line a change of era.

To me they are all Star Wars figures, regardless of what they want to call it (i.e., POTF, POTJ, Saga, etc.), so why not just make one basic card for all figures and keep it that way.

I agree with JediBoulton, I think it was great with the pictures on the cards...it was colorful and it made the characters of each figure easily identifiable (on the shelf at retail as well as on display at home).

Amy
03-13-2003, 04:23 PM
Well I was never much of a fan of the blue 'Saga' cards, so I was pleased to see the new ones in last nights pictures.:)

Old Fossil
03-13-2003, 05:01 PM
Yeah, I like the upcoming new Saga cards, too. They look classier than the rather boring ones Saga has now.

Then again, I still like the POTF2 Green Freeze-Frame cards, with their red, yellow, or blue "Collection" stripes on the bottom.

RooJay
03-13-2003, 09:19 PM
Ya know...the card change probably wouldn't bother you at all if ya just ripped 'em up and threw 'em away like nature intended!:D

Beast
03-13-2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by RooJay
Ya know...the card change probably wouldn't bother you at all if ya just ripped 'em up and threw 'em away like nature intended!:D
I couldn't have said it any better myself. Imagine if one day the glue holding the bubbles on in your wall of figures deteriates all at once. It's raining figures. :crazed: :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Kidhuman
03-13-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
I couldn't have said it any better myself. Imagine if one day the glue holding the bubbles on in your wall of figures deteriates all at once. It's raining figures. :crazed: :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Then I would be an unhappy camper. :( Glue seems to be holdong up well. My step-son would be like a kid in a toy store. Literally:eek:

Teeska Mon Eebon
03-13-2003, 10:16 PM
I like the changes plus it's kinda neccessary to keep it appealing to kids with small attention spans

Turbowars
03-13-2003, 10:50 PM
Thank heaven for the change. I love the new look. It has a tiny taste of the vintage line. Now if we can get that huge bubble off the card I'll be set. This year looks good. Hasbro, don't mess it up.

Banthaholic
03-13-2003, 11:23 PM
I too would love to see the large picture fronts reminisant of vintage days. I also loved the complete figure list on the back, as a kid I'd stare for hours plannin which figures I would want next.
Obviously they couldn't put all the figures on the back of the card, but the current line wouldn't be bad (kind've like the EP2 TRU promo poster)

TheDarthVader
03-13-2003, 11:47 PM
For one thing, the bubbles do not need to be centered anymore. Just use a right or left bubble. Secondly, I like the vintage style cards too (toy fair vader/ r2-d2). I hope that the cards will get better in the future.

Dar' Argol
03-14-2003, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by keith koth
To me they are all Star Wars figures, regardless of what they want to call it (i.e., POTF, POTJ, Saga, etc.), so why not just make one basic card for all figures and keep it that way.

Its called marketing. If your products packaging remains the same, it becomes common place and no longer attracts attention. By changing the packaging every so often to go with a line change, it gets the kids and collectors attention. Hence boosting sales at the start.

Originally posted by TheDarthVader
For one thing, the bubbles do not need to be centered anymore. Just use a right or left bubble. Secondly, I like the vintage style cards too (toy fair vader/ r2-d2). I hope that the cards will get better in the future.

I prefer the center bubble. It means that my hanging collection doesn't look like it needs a V-8. That was one of the problems I had with the side bubbles, leaning. Now with these centered bubbles, the only one I have a problem with is Orn Free Taa, but I think he just needs a diet:D

Kidhuman
03-14-2003, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by Dar' Argol
I prefer the center bubble. It means that my hanging collection doesn't look like it needs a V-8. That was one of the problems I had with the side bubbles, leaning. Now with these centered bubbles, the only one I have a problem with is Orn Free Taa, but I think he just needs a diet:D

The one that leans on me is Ephant. Orn Free Taa is fine. Ephant is just too heavy. None of the side bubbles I have lean. I guess it just depends on what you hang em on. Or gravity.

bobafrett
03-14-2003, 12:25 AM
Seeing as I have yet to put my collection of SW figures into some sort of inventory system, I don't mind having the changes in cards, even though I might not like some of the cards. This way, when I eventually get a software program that I can put a detailed description of each figure, I can also put in which line it was from. If you look at Pepsi, they have changed their cans over the years, but it's still Pepsi inside, and it doesn't always taste good. Same goes for SW figures, they might have different cards, but it's still a SW figure, and some of those aren't always good either.

I did like the right or left bubble figures, as I could fit more figures into my Yaffa Block storage crate. With these new center bubbled figures, I can only fit about half of what I used to in each crate. I only store them there, because I lack enough wall space to hang the figures to gaze at.

JangoFart
03-14-2003, 01:09 AM
Well, as a carded collector, I love the different cards. I think it makes each era stand out from the others in a display environment and breaks the monotony of that same old same-old.

J

12inch Lando
03-14-2003, 06:19 AM
Another vote for card changes here. If left up to me I'd do one every year. I'd like them to be more adventurous in their changes in the future too. Variety is the spice of life.

JEDIpartner
03-14-2003, 08:58 AM
Me... I think it's unnecessary. I think the card fronts should only change whenever there is a new movie.

Masterjedi73
03-14-2003, 09:08 AM
I just used the word Era for lack of a better word......

..bad choice, sorry!
lol

stillakid
03-14-2003, 10:56 AM
I hate that every movie is represented by the same card. To take care of the "attention span" issue while at the same time offering up a consistency of cardbacks, I'd like to see each film have it's own cardback. You know, ANH characters have one, ESB has another, AOTC has another....you get the idea. People that aren't so into the Prequels could more easily skip over those and just search the "vintage" film toys. Or the other way around for younger collectors. Plus, yeah, bring back the large photos on the cards like the old days.

I was also a fan of the figure checklists from the old days, but that is impractical now with so many figures available. At the very least, maybe Hasbro could put the soon to be released figures on the current releases. That way, kids or collectors who don't use the internet regularly for research can have an idea of what to expect and maybe when. Right now, without the web, all of us would have absolutely no clue if we missed something or if our collections were complete.

keith koth
03-14-2003, 11:10 AM
Okay, I am in the minority on this topic. However, if they are going to change the cards, the least they could do is retain the same basic color scheme of the cards so that my display looks more uniform.

I like the idea of making the cards with the title of each movie (i.e., like the new card revealed a couple of days ago).

Now, if they would just get rid of the big bubbles, as they take up twice the storage space.

TheDarthVader
03-14-2003, 03:01 PM
Right on! Get rid of the HUGE bubbles!

Beast
03-14-2003, 03:47 PM
No thanks, keep the large bubbles. I'd rather pay 4.99 for Ephant Mon, Dexter Jettster, and other larger charecter then have to buy them in the Deluxe Line. Not to mention the extra accessories Hasbro's always trying to give us. There's also more chance for future 2-packs like Ewok's and such on the new larger bubbles. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turbowars
03-14-2003, 09:02 PM
Yeah thats why we got a Ewok 2 pack in the last run, oh wait...;) The huge bubble always could be added to compensate for larger figures. Most bubbles have more air than figures in them.

Beast
03-14-2003, 09:08 PM
One of which was Wicket, who's a tiny charecter. I'd rather see a better detailed 2-pack, feature somthing on par with Teebo. Just look at the recent Library Droid 2-Pack. Doubtful that would have happened on the old cards. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks