PDA

View Full Version : Who thinks we need a NEW Rancor???

Amy
03-13-2003, 07:57 PM
(I hope this goes here)

I think the POTF2 Rancor was cool and everything, but I just dont feel like it was the best that it could have been. I mean the original had ball jointed shoulders, and when compared the newer one dont cut it there.

Although of course, the detail on the newer one is FANTASTIC, yet I just feel like it could be done better.:o I'm a huge fan of this monster(more so after reading "tales of jabba's palace) and I just want to see this cutie done right.:)

Darth Trymybestus
03-13-2003, 08:04 PM
I think we definitely do! And I think we will get one... I mean, we're getting a Luke Skywalker from Jabba's Palace in 2004 so yeah... bring on the slaverring monster! :)

Kidhuman
03-13-2003, 09:02 PM
It is possible if what JJB said is true and not rumored. They will be making another ROTJ Jabba and focusing on the aliens from the palace. I still have my vintage Rancor and I love it. A new one would be great. Then I could have them fight.:D

Banthaholic
03-13-2003, 09:08 PM
I would rather have them focus on E2 beasts before they return to the Rancor. Although I could handle an open-belly TaunTaun.

Teeska Mon Eebon
03-13-2003, 09:40 PM
I would rather have them focus on E2 beasts before they return to the Rancor. Although I could handle an open-belly TaunTaun.

Not trying to chance the subject but what others? all I can think of is the bird thingy Tan We rides on...

Anyways a new rancor sculpt would be great with all the rumored Jabba's Palace stuff that we've seen!

Banthaholic
03-13-2003, 11:39 PM
There are 3 from E2
1. aiwha from Kamino http://www.starwars.com/databank/creature/aiwha/index.html
2. orray from genosian arena
http://www.starwars.com/databank/creature/orray/index.html
3. shaak from Naboo
http://www.starwars.com/databank/creature/shaak/index.html

TheDarthVader
03-13-2003, 11:42 PM
I would rather see the time spent on more characters from the cantina and jabba's palace. That's just my opinion. We need more aliens and droids!!!!

LusiferSam
03-14-2003, 12:22 AM
We need a ROTJ Jabba first. The POTF Rancor is great compared to any modern Jabba.

Amy
03-14-2003, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by LusiferSam
We need a ROTJ Jabba first. The POTF Rancor is great compared to any modern Jabba.

Ya know, I agree 100% with that. I'm useing the globe Jabba, which I like, although a much bigger, fatter Jabba would so rule. I would like for him to have that Jurassic part soft dino flesh to him, that would rule.:cool:

Beast
03-14-2003, 01:15 AM
Well, the ROTJ Jabba w/ Dias is for sure for 2004. The focus on Jabba's Palace is still not totally confirmed at the moment. But the last rumor list from Hasbro, and what Hasbro told GH at the show the other day makes it pretty likely. As soon as search is back up, I can pull that list up again. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
03-14-2003, 01:57 AM
I think we could stand a new Rancor next year, one with arms that can hold a figure near its mouth and a mouth that can open wide enough and deep enough to eat a Gamorrean guard figure.

Beast
03-14-2003, 02:07 AM
Found the list, it was from Trade Federation. The Jabba and dignitarys wound up true. GH said that Hasbro suggested Ewoks and Jabba's Aliens for next year. So hopefully the rest of the list does turn out to be true. As the heavy focus on Jabba's Palace will go great with the new Jabba. :)

Not Ripleys... I may sport the glasses and goatee, but sorry no Dean Cain here..

Though some talk of new figures in the future have been whispered in our ears here at the Fed...

These come from a pretty reliable source, but of course you can take it for what it's worth...

What we have heard being planned so far...

Stass Allie
Passel Argente
Bespin Gown Leia
Cloud Car Pilot
C-3P0 Jabba's Palace
Bib Fortuna
Weequay
Jabba w/ dais (as we have mentioned in the past)
Chief Chirpa
General Madine
Imperial Dignitary (though there was also talk of both versions at one point, only one is listed as of now)

A couple of non figure items we have heard is...

6" (12" scale) Boba Fett from Episode II
Cloud Car- (which has been on lists many times before)

Now take into account Hasbro has not made any confirmations on any of these, but a close source to Hasbro has mentioned these being talked of.

At this point scheduled release is not known at all, though if we hear anything more we promise to let you know. We do understand though that some are being talked of for 2004 release.

I guess we have to just sit tight and wait.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Emperors_Hand_2211
03-14-2003, 03:48 AM
Personally I like my rancor with "real feel skin" just fine. While there aren't any other beasts left that desparately need doing there are plenty of larger items...cough...sith infiltrator...cough.

plasticfetish
03-14-2003, 04:31 AM
Originally posted by Teeska Mon Eebon
Although I could handle an open-belly TaunTaun.
Hmmm ... that would be niiiiice.
You can never have enough Rancors ... but the gut oozing tauntaun is such a good idea. (I want to see sleeping bags shaped like tauntauns, the zipper is on their belly and it has a nice bright red flannel inside. Sorry ... tauntaun-tangent.)

12inch Lando
03-14-2003, 06:13 AM
Enjoy it while it lasts punchy.

Jayspawn
03-14-2003, 09:53 AM
I'm happy with the POTF2 Rancor we got. It works just fine for me.

TheDarthVader
03-14-2003, 09:17 PM
I thought the POTF2 one was well done.

Amy
03-14-2003, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by STIFF DICK
no i dont think that. i think the one we have at the moment is perfectly adequate. thats the problem with you star wars fans you always want more. you should be content with what you get like us lord of the rings fans look at all the S**t we get.

Well its not a "problem" if a new one is not put out, I just wanted to share my thoughts and see if anyone agreed. And believe me, I know how you feel about LOTR:( .

If I cant have a REAL Aragorn(grr), cant I at least have a figure that looks half way like him?:o

cassanova frankensti
03-15-2003, 05:56 PM
I think the vintange and POTF2 Rancors are great and I would not be interested in a new one. I'd rather get the Picador mount from the arena and one of those flying Kamino whales.

Jargo
03-15-2003, 06:19 PM
Precisely my viewpoint too. There are other beasts that are smaller and more convenient to store that i would rather have. Added to which i don't think they could improve on the POTF2 version. Sure added articulation would be cute but with the size weight and balance of that thing being bad already, added articulation would only weaken it further. I suppose if anything was changed then a munching jaw could be added likr the vintage one but more refined in operation and detail. I always liked having the vintage one my friend had munch on Luke. :evil: but I'd still rather have the Orray or the Aiwha or the Jerba or a Shaak and Ikopi and Mott and Pikobus set. I'd rather they rehashed the bantha to give us a domestic trader beast of burden. Even add in a bantha calf. A Krayt dragon would be the next large beast I'd like to see actually, not a full grown one so then the scale would be right. Just a big bad mother of a lizard with horns and talons. What an awesome beast that would be.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-15-2003, 07:24 PM
Well, I never got the old Rancor. It looks fine to me, though, so I don't think a new one is needed.:)

jjreason
03-15-2003, 07:34 PM
Personally, I like my POTF2 one. If I didn't have one of those, however, and was faced with the prospects of getting one on the after market today (or God forbid, a vintage one), I'd be piping right up here. Maybe they should repackage the POTF2 one and rerelease it next year to coincide with the Jabba Stuff?

Jargo
03-15-2003, 09:50 PM
If it came with a new rancor keeper or something, maybe a gamorrean with articulation where it counts like legs and ankles and if one of the gamorreans arms cam off so the rancor could have it poke out of its mouth. :) Maybe if the rancor came with a little backdrop in plastic of the gateway tunnela bit of rock around the edges and the gate iitself with a rising a falling action. make the set worth buying at least. and give the rancor real feel skin properly. rubbery not like whatever the last release is supposed to feel like, never felt like real skin to me. just felt foolish trying to touch up a toy in TRU to find out. :rolleyes:

Old Fossil
03-16-2003, 12:47 AM
Yep, I'd rather see more new ships and basic figures than a new Rancor. Sith Infiltrator, Cloud Car, Sandcrawler...

...and an R5-D4 resculpt, of course!:happy:

jad
03-16-2003, 01:22 AM
I actually just got one of the POTF Rancor's in a trade and recieved it yesturday in the mail. I'm quite pleased with it. Really a great sculpt on it, much more accurate than the vintage one, but it could have been a better toy with a movable jaw feature and ball socket armes like the vintage one. But who cares, it's still pretty dang impressive.

I don't really think they need to do a new one. If hasbro does intend to release a Rancor to compliment the amount of Jabba's Palace material supposedely coming out next year then they would most likely just repackage the POTF version.

I agree with alot of you that they should just focus on producing new beasts, some of the smaller ones. It would be cool if they could do some smaller beast packs. Maybe a Tattoine pack could come with a couple Scurriers (the rat kangaroo things from the special editions) some of Jabba's mini Nunas, and some womp rats. A naboo pack could have tons of the smaller naboo animals, like the nunas. I'd also love for them to do the Airwha since I love the design of the creature so much.

If Hasbro decides to continue doing Mcquarrie sketch material it would be very cool if they could do some concept creatures from his paintings, especially some of the groovy stuff he painted for the Dagobah environments. Anyone else have any cool ideas :)

fishyfett
03-16-2003, 12:28 PM
Uh, speaking of re-releasing the SW Beasts, how about the Eopie w/ Qui-gon?? In the U.S. and within a reasonable price??? The POTF Rancor can use some improvements such as being able to stand on two legs, but then, again how many of us are lucky to snag an Eopie except from E-bay???? At reasonable prices????

Jargo
03-16-2003, 12:47 PM
Me, I have three. bought all at decent prices. It's alright but if they re-release it I hope they put a different figure with it. The Qui-Gon is dreadful. His lightsaber slashing action doesn't work as per the action feature standards. So putting a Good Eopie re-release out with the cargo sled and maybe a new Padme in slave disguise and Kitster or something. Just anything other than the dreadful Qui-Gon - you really don't want that figure. But the Eopie is okay. :)

fishyfett
03-16-2003, 10:36 PM
And while we're on the subject of re-releasing SW Beasts, howsbout a better Fambaa Figure. At least with articulation and better textured 'skin'. Maybe two Fambaas with both shield generator accessories as a two-pack. Errr......then maybe not. We'll stick with just one Fambaa, albeit a better one.:cool:

fishyfett
03-16-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
Me, I have three. bought all at decent prices. It's alright but if they re-release it I hope they put a different figure with it. The Qui-Gon is dreadful. His lightsaber slashing action doesn't work as per the action feature standards. So putting a Good Eopie re-release out with the cargo sled and maybe a new Padme in slave disguise and Kitster or something. Just anything other than the dreadful Qui-Gon - you really don't want that figure. But the Eopie is okay. :)
Lucky, you Jargo. Thanks for the warning on that Qui-gon, but the Eopie is one figure I really like to have. Too bad it didn't come w/ farting sound chip!!!!:crazed:

Jargo
03-17-2003, 08:02 AM
Maybe if they'd made the shield generator a removable piece it would be easier to store the damn thing. Of course i have mine loose but if i have to move it for any reason I'm terrified I'll snap off the top section it being so tall. Articulation at the hips is all that's required to make it a fantastic beasty. The scales are fine as far as I'm concerned it's just the cream paint in the cracks between them that makes it look iffy. A turning head would have been nice too. In fact making the beast with a removable saddle/harness combo would be great. I like tthe thing enough to want to use it in my Tatooine display area but i don't necessarily want it to look like it's going to war. Same with the Falumpaset. A great looking beast that needed articulation and a removable harness. A neck that moves on a ball joint would be cool too. or at least up/down movement.
Rather than put a lame figure in with the beasts how about giving them more articulation and just make the saddles and harnesses removable. Put some real effort into the things.

fishyfett I can understand the keenness to have the Eopie, I felt the same way which is how come I have it. I bought a whole case of beasts to get the two and bought the third seperately. It was a panic buy, I thought it might be my last chance to get it and just went nuts. I had to take a kaadu, Jabba with hex and rex and two Opees to get my Eopies though so I suffered for my sins. :D what the hell can you do with two Opees? I have them in the bathroom on top of the medicine cabinet like bookends. But seriously, nice sculpt as it is, the Opee has to be the single most useless toy ever made for star wars. Maybe if they make a Bongo sub it'll be a justified decision to make the Opee but until then - no way jose.

fishyfett
03-17-2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
fishyfett I can understand the keenness to have the Eopie, I felt the same way which is how come I have it. I bought a whole case of beasts to get the two and bought the third seperately. It was a panic buy, I thought it might be my last chance to get it and just went nuts. I had to take a kaadu, Jabba with hex and rex and two Opees to get my Eopies though so I suffered for my sins. :D what the hell can you do with two Opees? I have them in the bathroom on top of the medicine cabinet like bookends. But seriously, nice sculpt as it is, the Opee has to be the single most useless toy ever made for star wars. Maybe if they make a Bongo sub it'll be a justified decision to make the Opee but until then - no way jose. [/B]
RRRHHHHAAAAARRRRRR!!!!!!!! I still want my f***ing Eopie!!!!!!!
Aahhh...Ahem, sorry bout that, Jargo. The Wookie inside me just tried to come out. Ouch, hairball!!
Really, the Fambaa can use some improvement. That's why I refused to buy it even when they're clearing it out at $37.99 in the now defunct FAO Warts here in Dallas. Yes, its nice that its big and highly detailed. But its not an action figure. Sorry Fambaa owners, its not!!! Just like the Falumpaset, they're not!!! But, hey we take what we can. I really like the Fambaa a lot. I just thought Hasbro could've done better. For exclusives, I think they should always make it better. After all, we're gonna buy it if we see that it's worth the dough. Right????....Nevermind.
Well, Jargo, you did paid for you Eopies dearly, bro. Last thing I want hanging 'round is seafood that can't be eaten. You just can't have too many Opee seafood killers. Can't help you on that one. But at least, you have your Eopies. Wanna trade one with me??? I got an extra super-mint Opee Sea Killer..... :crazed:

Jargo
03-17-2003, 08:29 PM
Ooooooh more opees....... *claps hands like an excited girl* :rolleyes: tempting - but no.

I offloaded one Opee on my nephew who sent me a thank you note after xmas that read "thanks for the army men and the spaceship. and fish thing" I got the feeling he wasn't impressed.... bad jargo naughty jargo :D well, what the hell was i going to do i already got one for free in a deal and suddenly two more of the damn things in a case. I customised the jabba so he didn't have a spitting mouth any more, just need to carve out his hand so he isn't holding the oversized gorg. Kaadus are cool but they fall over, they should have put a locking switch into it so the thing can stand up straight. And why put a damn jarjar on it? :rolleyes: There's so much could be done with beasts that isn't. They take a perfectly adwequate sculpt and then give it the most monstrous articulation. Like the bucking ronto, that could have worked really well but it's badly engineered and looks it. The bantha which is one of my favourite besaties ever was given articulated legs but then they glued the shaggy fun fur onto it in such a way that the legs can't move very well or at all. They went to the trouble of articulating the Acklay with huge ball joints but put the articulation in such a weird way that the legs don't bend the right directions.
The dewback was given great detail with a cool opening mouth but his head is sculpted so low you can't hardly see anything of it. All these beasts are so cool design wise but they gets no respect. if they're designed as toys then surely the idea is play value. but if there's no movement in the things then there can't be much play value. If however they are designed as collector items then they should be more detailed. It's the identity crisis of so much star wars stuff that bothers me. It doesn't know which market it's intended for and therefore is tailored to neither but lives in some limbo in between the two and fails to completely satisfy either.
"lacks focus" is what i'd put on the beasts school report. "fair effort but could do better". :)

fishyfett
03-17-2003, 09:01 PM
Rightly said, Jargo. I was only kiddin' bout the trade. Peace.
:crazed: