PDA

View Full Version : Invasion of the Body Switches

Bent Wookie
03-14-2003, 11:28 AM
So I hear we're going to be seeing an all new body on the Star Wars 12" soon. Anyone know if it's the superposable Joe body? Hopefully this 1:1 scale will mean the end of blimp heads and will issue in a new age of excellent 1/6 figures on par with the best!

By the way, anyone know if those basic Joe figures (around the $7 cost) are ok for body switching? Or are they the same as the ones already being used? I was going to pick up a couple of the Army Rangers at Target and see how they were. Anyone buy these to try? Since they were marked down, I thought I'd bite, but if they're not all that great, i won't bother. So anyone?

jpak001
03-14-2003, 12:55 PM
The basic Joes are better than the SW bodies, but still nowhere near as cool as the superjoes.

I'd say it's worth it though, you can definitely get much better poses that the big, bulky limbs of the SW bodies IMO. :cool:

derek
03-14-2003, 02:19 PM
So I hear we're going to be seeing an all new body on the Star Wars 12" soon

where did you hear this?

if hasbro did use a new body, it would probably be their super-joe body. i'll believe this when i see it.:) i can't see hasbro spending money on R&D for an all new star wars body when the super joe is really good. they just need to loose those hinged hands.

By the way, anyone know if those basic Joe figures (around the $7 cost) are ok for body switching?

they work great for figures whose head will fit them, ala jedi luke, han solo, old obi wan, and other figures with heads similar to these.

if you plan on putting the newer figures like episode 2 anakin or obi-wan, or mace on those bodies, some surgery is necessary.

Bent Wookie
03-15-2003, 03:51 AM
Surgery?... Ok, the ball necks of course. How difficult are the ball necks to transplant?

derek
03-15-2003, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Bent Wookie
Surgery?... Ok, the ball necks of course. How difficult are the ball necks to transplant?

hey now!:crazed: you gotta answer my question first!:D where did you hear hasbro was going to use a new body for it's 12" star wars line ?:confused:

jpak001
03-17-2003, 08:21 PM
I just got back from target & they had TONS of the basic Joes on clearance for $1.74. I bought six :D

I just used one to swap bodies with my Jedi Luke. It was just way too easy to swap the head and gloved hand (boil method). I'm very happy with the results. Gonna try the surgery with an EpII Obi next...

Sinister Lord
04-23-2003, 09:47 AM
I've swapped out the bodies on almost all of my 12" figures using boil and pop to remove heads (and some hands) and place them on more articulated bodies. The only ones I haven't done are the electronic ones, because I haven't figured out a good way to preserve the talking mechanism.

By the way, for taller characters like Qui-Gon Jinn and Darth Vader, it is best to use an articulated body by 21st Century toys, because they stand physically taller than the standard GI Joe body. The head post is more ar less the same on both figures and will easily fit into a Star Wars head.

Ook
04-23-2003, 01:19 PM
Would somebody post a nude pic (heh) of this "superjoe" body, please? I don't know it. Does it have those hinged hands?? Any new word on wether it is going to used for SW figs?

OC47150
04-23-2003, 04:11 PM
The Dooku wave of 12" figures should have the SA Joe bodies. There is an extra swivel at the elbow for more firing poses, and an extra joint in the chest. With how the body is, you could position a figure to sit Indian-style with no problem.

As a GI Joe collector, too, (now you know where all my money goes!!) the SA bodies are great but they are hard to find. There were some carded ones (the SAW-armed Ranger with camo face) and some boxed sets (the four-set Ranger series and last year's WWII D-Day figures). But other boxed sets (the new Army tae kwon do instructor and U.S. Marshal) are not SA Joes. Read the box; it should state whether or not it's an SA body.

derek
04-23-2003, 04:21 PM
dooku dosen't have the super-joe body. he, along with jango fett, the imperial officer, lando, and the AT-ST driver all have what is called the "Classic Collection" body.

derek
04-23-2003, 04:27 PM
here is the super joe body with a luke head i put on it. it's almost the same as the CC joe body, except the arms and legs are double jointed, there is added articulation at the torso, upper arm and legs and it's just slightly shorter, and the hands are not removable*.

*so far, i've found this body with 5 different kinds of hands.

1. the horrible hinged, "claw" hands, that won't hold a weapon or saber.

2. with the "kung fu grip" hands that i really like, but i've only found these on expensive sets like the one with the scuba diver and shark, or with the hiker and yeti.

3. a time life set featuring a WW2 figure has the super joe body and horrible bendy fingers.

4. the mercury astronaut has the super joe body with removable silver gloves.

5. the apollo 11 astronaut has the super joe body, and has glove attachment "pegs" like jango fett has. these are removable.

i wish hasbro would junk the "gung ho" grip hands and use the "kung fu" grip hands exclusively.:)

OC47150
04-23-2003, 04:29 PM
Thanks for that correction, Derek. I was under the impression that the SA bodies were supposed to start with those.

Hasbro rolled the Joe SA bodies out earlier than planned and have very little on hand. Both body styles are available but the SA body is harder to find.

derek
04-23-2003, 04:35 PM
no problem.:)

i don't know what is up with hasbro. they have this really good new body, except for the hands, but they really don't use it that much. lately all i've been seeing are those GI Joe's with molded T-shirts on them. no way i'll be buying one of those.

in some stores, it's possible to find at least 4 or 5 different hasbro bodies all on the shelf at once.

everything from their old "1960's vintage joe" body, to the HOF/action man bodies, the CC Joe with or without molded shirts, and the super joe body. it's no wonder this company is in trouble!:confused:

it seems to me it would be cheaper to manufacture one kind of body and use it for all it's 12 inch figures.

OC47150
04-23-2003, 04:52 PM
Even with all its faults, Hasbro does a better job on releasing Joes in a timely fashion than SW stuff.

I'm not crazy about the molded shirts, either, but at least we're getting new head sculpts.

Sinister Lord
04-23-2003, 06:09 PM
One other note on the boil and pop method. In many cases the hands (and feet) of the CC Joe body can be swapped onto the SA Joe body and vice versa. You must boil the whole forearm prior to removing the hand, and pull only on the wrist peg, not on the hand itself. Go slowly and carefully during the process. I've been very successful at swapping hands on all of these figures.

The wrist peg on the hands from the "action-man" style Star Wars body is different from the GI Joe wrist peg, but the forearm on the Joe body will accept the transplanted hand and hold it in place just fine.

Ook
04-23-2003, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the pic, derek. I actually have the Joe Adventure Team Yeti set, so I know that body. Definitely posable. Pretty slim compared to the SW bods, though. And significantly shorter. :( Maybe that's why they're reluctant to make the switch in the middle of the line? You know they'd get blasted by us for the inconsistancy in scale! Then, half of us would probably want the entire line re-released with the new bodies! :eek:

I know one thing: I hate the HOF bod. :Pirate:

BTW, are the 12" Chewies and wampa built like the Yeti?

OC47150
04-24-2003, 09:00 AM
There is another... body style, that is.

Most Targets carry a line of 12" action figures called Soldiers of the World. One of their figures has a head sculpt that looks dead-on like Harrison Ford with five o'clock shadow. A lot of the kitbashers love that particular head sculpt. They've recreated Indiana Jones with that figure.

Anyway, the body is similiar to the SA Joe body. Plus it's only $8. A little more affordable for those of us who collect on a budget. It's worth checking out. The accessories aren't bad for chopping up either.

One of my fellow Joe/12" collector buddies thinks the SOTW body is superior to the SA Joe body and that's all he buys. He's recreated the Predator merc team using several SOTW bodies.

derek
04-24-2003, 05:18 PM
I know that body. Definitely posable. Pretty slim compared to the SW bods, though. And significantly shorter. Maybe that's why they're reluctant to make the switch in the middle of the line?

i don't think that's it. i just think hasbro is trying to save money. the HOF/action man bodies are probably a lot cheaper to make than the super joe body.

i'd be willing to bet that hasbro has a whole warehouse full of un-used HOF/action man bodies laying around. they probably figure the best way to get rid of them is passing them off on star wars fans, who half of them probably never remove the toy from the box.

and since hasbro had to pay a lot of cash for the star wars license, they probably cut corners as much as possible to save money.

Ook
04-24-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by OC47150
One of their figures has a head sculpt that looks dead-on like Harrison Ford with five o'clock shadow.
How about a pic of that guy?

OC47150
04-25-2003, 08:54 AM
I don't have one of the figures but I'll see what I can do. I check with some of my other 12" action figure buddies.

Ook
04-25-2003, 10:39 AM
I broke my super Joe last night. I was trying to pry the head off wo/ heating it. Didn't want to boil it because he has flocked hair.

OC47150
04-25-2003, 02:08 PM
OK, it's not the greatest picture. A fellow GI Joe collector forwarded it me.

OC47150
04-25-2003, 02:09 PM
IMHO, this is the best Harrison Ford head that's been released. A lot better than the Hasbro heads.

Ook
04-25-2003, 02:22 PM
Hmm, resembles Blade Runner, but not Solo...

getoninja
04-28-2003, 07:28 PM
how long have those new super joe bodies been out (I didnt even know about them)?

are they the same size as the regular ones like count dookus bodies, are they good, someone give me the run down.

personaly I like dragon bodies i think they are the best, very nice and perfect but they arent sold n retail stores, and cost quite a bit. 21st century is really good too, but they have long legs. 21st is kinda like hot toys bodies, BBI is good too they are the same size as the joes. Soldiers of the World bodies are kinda the same as BBI bodies too, but SOTW bodies are to bulky, very big on chest and legs, kinda wack.

but these new super joe bodies never knew about this. (must get some to try out)

derek
04-28-2003, 11:50 PM
how long have those new super joe bodies been out

probably about a year and a half. problem is hasbro is not using them that much lately. they've opted to use the CC joe body(like dooku's) with a T shirt molded on the figure.

you'll have to look around to find the super joe body. two ways to tell are the wrist and the elbows.

when you look at the "end of the arm" where it attaches to the hand, the regular joe arm will be "flat", but the super joe arm will taper at the wrist.

it may be kinda hard to understand this, but once you find one, you'll see the difference. check those "carded" sets. a super joe is usually mixed in with the regular joes.

are they the same size as the regular ones like count dookus bodies, are they good, someone give me the run down.

yes they are about the same size as the dooku body, just better articulated. just as articulated as the dragon or BBI bodies.

i really like this body, because it's super poseable, but also a lot tougher than stuff made by dragon. the only complaint i have is the claw hands most of these figures have. i'd prefer removable hand sets and gloved hands instead.:)

getoninja
05-04-2003, 03:57 PM
derek,
thanks man, I just got one by accident yesterday at walmart. I was looking at the wrist like u said, and the it lookd diffrent on this one gi joe figure so I go it (if wasnt it I just return it) and bam,,,it was the new 12inch body, I was very suprised!!!!!!!

(I didint even know bout these new bodies till u guys posted it, i bet these are very rare due to the fact they been for more than a year and I havent seen one till now)

its a really cool body, It just ****es me off that hasbro isnt using these great bodies on all star wars and joes figures. same qaulity as the regular bodies. the only down side IMO is the bodies are still a little short, not tall enough. if they were the same size as dragon bodies, i'd be set.

attached a pic on what 12inch gi joe figure the body came from