PDA

View Full Version : New Emperor YUCK!!!

DarthWitko
03-14-2003, 12:54 PM
Who is that supposed to be? It almost looks like a muppet dressed up as the emperor. Kermit the Frog here to rule the galaxy. Come on Hasbro you can do much better then that. I have really been disappointed in the whole saga series other then Ephant Mon and Bespin Chewbacca. I think I am just going to stick with collecting original triology and Jedi Knights in this new series leave the rest of the stuff for peg warmers.

Beast
03-14-2003, 12:59 PM
I don't know, I like it. The face sculpt is spot on for him in ROTJ. While the hood is a bit big, it was pretty volumous in ROTJ. That one shot of him in Sir Steve's photos from the show, really show off how well done he is. I like the fact they designed him as sort of an Emperor's Wrath Emperor. Love the ball-jointed arms. Glad Hasbro is using that on more figures. With the lightning dancing across his fingers. You can almost hear him say, "And now young Skywalker, you will die." :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DarthWitko
03-14-2003, 01:05 PM
I guess it is just me but he does not look right. I do know sometimes I see the preview picture of a figure and they look horrible then when I see them at the store in the packaging they look fine. Sometimes camera angles can make things just look wrong. I just hope he has some plastic to him some of these saga figures seem to fall apart in your hands when you remove them from the packaging.

Glitch
03-14-2003, 01:59 PM
This thing looks worse EVERY time I look at it!

I agree !00%, his body does look like a Muppet dressed as the Emperor. At first, I thought it looked like Gargamel from the old Smurfs cartoon, but I think you may have it!

The head is nice, but EVERYTHING else sucks big Wampa balls. For the love of GOD, look at his arms! If he would rest them to his sides, his hands would extend past his knees!!! He has ape arms!

Ths is NOT the Emperor. This is a figure of a giant-headed, long-armed Muppet wearing a garbage bag and an Emperor mask. The fact that Hasbro had so many woderful new figures to show only makes this "thing" stand out that much more.

Here is the Hasbro pic:

http://starwars.hasbro.com/pl/page.repnews/sec.story/showlg.257/dn/bh.cfm

bobafrett
03-14-2003, 02:27 PM
I don't know, I like him, just wish he looked a little more evil. He looks like a nice old man you want to help walk across the street. Maybe it's just the angle the Hasbro used, SirSteves picture(s) made him look like he was possessed with the Force!

DarthWitko
03-14-2003, 03:54 PM
Gargamel may be just the right description. He does have that head not fitting the rest of the body exactlly like the old smurf figures. I just am looking for the cat to come running into the picture.

187-Maul
03-14-2003, 04:37 PM
I really like the head, arms and upper body of him but his lower body seems out of proportion (too small) to the rest of the body, but he's still a very cool figure IMO
but I still hope that they're also gonna give him a second set of force lightning that is "fully extended"

LTBasker
03-14-2003, 04:39 PM
He's actually over-detailed, the designer got very carried away, methinks. Where was this friggin windstorm coming from in the Throne Room?

He actually looks like he's melting, and the head sculpt looks like they were paying too much attention to wrinkles than Ian. They should've gone for aging Chancellor Palpatine's head sculpt.

DarthWitko
03-14-2003, 04:41 PM
Maybe this is the sculpt of the Emperor after he was thrown into the pit by Darth Vader.

Banthaholic
03-14-2003, 04:42 PM
It's definitely better than what we already have

DarthWitko
03-14-2003, 04:58 PM
I don't know if that is true. The old POTFII was not a bad figure but the problem was it did not have many display possiblities except for the emperors arrival. The sitting POTFII was also not a bad figure but could only be used sitting in his throne.

Glitch
03-14-2003, 05:47 PM
Well, I guess you could remove the head and the hood from this one, boil the hood in water, shape and cool it closer to the head, and place the whole thing on the Episode 1 Sidious body. That sculpt was SO far superior to this load of dung.

It would have been nice to see a double faced head that could switch form passive to angry via a SMALL thumbwheel, or just manually. With that hood, it would have been very easy to pull off. I'm not much into gimmicks in figures, but that would have actually worked.

Jargo
03-14-2003, 06:34 PM
I think it's dreadful too. The face is okay but the head would seem massive if it didn't have the hood around. Big face. And the body is like a half melted candle. Horribly waxy looking. Like some amateur first attempt, I just think that for one of the main characters in the saga who will play such an important role in the next movie this is a poor excuse for a figure. Same goes for vader. The sculpts should be spot on to help build the hype and yet the most important characters are getting really bad deals. I don't get it.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
03-14-2003, 06:36 PM
He looks proportionally challeged. I would have preferred a soft goods robe.

Amy
03-14-2003, 09:58 PM
I could not agree more, this figure bites the big one imo:(. And I really wanted to like him to.:o

James Boba Fettfield
03-14-2003, 10:11 PM
I didn't like the lightning thing he had going on, everything else is fine by me.

AmanaMatt
03-15-2003, 01:39 AM
Speaking for myself, I thing this new Emperor rocks. I am shocked that there are many here not liking this piece, but, hey, I think it is pretty darn good. Huge improvement over the old ones, but that is just me.

Guess there is no pleasing everyone. Heck, I think the Snowtrooper looks great, so you know where my head is at!

plasticfetish
03-15-2003, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by LTBasker
He's actually over-detailed, the designer got very carried away, methinks.
Yep, the more I look at it the more I agree.

Originally posted by Hasbro'sBountyHunter
I would have preferred a soft goods robe.
I've been thinking this a lot lately ... but this one would have been perfect for a cloth robe. I watched ROTJ last night ... his robe drapes around his head in a way that the plastic just isn't getting. These Emperor figures aways end up being a little dull ... I think a detail like having a good cloth robe (plus that creepy face of his) would be just the thing to set it apart. I wonder if there's an issue though with Lucas signing off on a figure of the Emperor where someone would have to sculpt his entire head. Never seen more than his face ...

Darth Evil
03-15-2003, 05:13 AM
I don't think this new Emperor looks that bad. The hood is a bit big, but I'll see what he looks like on the peg before making my final judgement. And I really want a new Emperor.

Jargo
03-15-2003, 09:01 AM
Tradefederation.net have an excellent close up of the face and boy is that ugly and nothing like the character, looks like a whitewashed prune or something. It actually looks more like a lame attempt at resculpting the vintage version. Just a bad sculpt day for someone. How anyone can say this looks like Ian McDiarmid is beyond me. It doesn't even come close. It's like they sculpted it from a sketch drawn on a napkin in very wet ink that spread all over the place and got soggy and messed up.

The snowtrooper is a good fgure but his cape looks like it was sculpted to look like terry towelling. :) Luke looks like he's done seven rounds with Tyson and Vader looks like a bad Iraqi bootleg made to look more middle eastern. Those eyebrows are scary. It just doesn't say Sebastian Shaw as Darth vader to me. I think the POTF version came closer even if that one had a Humpty Dumpty look to it. If they're going to bother making these figures at all then they should be striving to get the likenesses right because that's why we buy them right? to have likenesses of the characters in a small scale that actually look like the character. I know I do. I can't see the point of buying something that looks nothing like the character it represents. With figures like Typho and Achk Med-Becq and Lt. Faytonni hasbro has proved that it is actually possible to achieve stunning likenesses so i fail to see why so many of the human characters come out looking so bad. If the sculptor cannot achieve the likeness then perhaps they should reconsider using that sculptor and find someone who can. There's a world of talented artists out there itching to do this sort of work and able to achieve remarkable likenesses so why do we have to settle for dross like this Palpatine and that pitiful Luke? I can't believe that hasbro actually expect people to pay good maney for those sort of things. And things is the right description because I won't call them toys or action figures any more. palpatine and Luke and Vader are simply poor quality 'things'.

AmanaMatt
03-15-2003, 02:00 PM
I appreciate people with opinions, but a few sound like you may have been collecting way, way too long.

Jargo
03-15-2003, 03:30 PM
There is no such thing as 'too long'. If collecting figures since 1978 is too long then surely the entire franchise of star wars has been going for far 'too long'. The concept is flawed. It is an achievement to have remained true to a pastime/hobby/interest for an extended time period. fadism is something that has little interest for me. Fadism suggests an inferior intellect and an individual who has a motivational problem and form of attention deficit disorder. A short attention span does not a great man make. But consistency does.
frippery is I understand your comment to be intended as. It is taken as such and my response is a generalisation based on your response but not aimed at you directly.

'Too long' is forever flawed as a valid argument. Time is invalid in all arguments. Time is relative to an individual's view of existence and his flow through 'life' from start to finish is marked only by segmenting the passage into manageable digestible pieces for ease of storage within the vaults of the brains memory sink. define 'too long'.

Darth Trymybestus
03-15-2003, 03:38 PM
Woah, what's with all the negativity? :zzz: The saga line is just excellent and those of you that have been collecting since 1978 should be thrilled with the figures Hasbro makes now.
I mean.. take Luke Skywalker Bespin Duel and compare that with the one from like 1978, there is simply no comparison.
The likenesses are spot on, it must be hard to get the likeness so accurate on something so small, they do a great job. :)

As for the Emperor, it's cool but the only gripe I have is that you can see his ears, hmmmm I never remembered seeing those, ah well, it's still cool and I shall be getting it! :D :crazed:

Jargo
03-15-2003, 04:07 PM
But you appear to make no discerning judgements and buy everything from what you say here. It is precisely the fact that some have been collecting for so long that allows them to discern the awful from the great. Judgement based on many years of collecting and admiring or critiquing. No comparison can be drawn betwen the vintage collections and the modern era ones because production methodology and standards were not advanced back then and toy production of thekind we now take for granted was but in its infancy. Modern era figures have been elevated into a new class of their own. And as such can only be compared with each other. Comparing the Emperor to the figures of Lt. Faytonni shows that the Emperor figure is indeed an inferior likeness and sculpt. It does not belong with these other figures intended for release, it is not worthy of release. it is an abortion of a figure. an abomination. Lt. Faytonni is an angel of a figure, a true wonder to behold and enjoy in the artistry. Palpatine is a second rate excuse for a sculpt and should be trashed and melted down for scrap wax resin. I fart in the Palpatine figures general direction.

Darth Trymybestus
03-15-2003, 04:29 PM
I have been collecting for years and I did have the original figures and no, I don't buy everything. If I don't like a figure, then I simply don't buy it.
I find it strange how people don't like certain figures but still buy them.. ahhh that's just me.
But I think the SAGA line is the best Star Wars line yet and now that the action features are gone, you should be rejoicing. :)

droidekas2
03-15-2003, 04:31 PM
I dont care for it either. Its a bit too much. The robes, the wrinkles, the likeness, the head. It doesnt work. I will pass on this one.

Jargo
03-15-2003, 04:35 PM
But they [action features] haven't gone, they are just on hiatus. Rejoicing is not part of my programming. Star wars is possibly one of the best toy lines but that is open to debate. I obtain figures I do not like for the accessories they come with such as the Darkeye probe with Darth Maul. My previous post was not meant to be insulting merely observational based upon reading many of your responses in similar debates.

Darth Trymybestus
03-15-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
My previous post was not meant to be insulting merely observational based upon reading many of your responses in similar debates.

I didn't take your post to be insulting at all :) And yeah, you are right, I guess I am very positive and looking at my own posts, it probably makes me look like Hasbro's SSG Ambassador, but I guess I only really discuss the figures I like and plan to buy really. :)
And if I don't like a figure, I don't buy it and I wait for a cooler version to come.
I don't like the new Mace Windu, I don't mind action features but they ruin this new figure, it's a nice sculpt but what the heck is that on his back?! I'm sure there will be another Mace though :)

As far as the action features, considering the response to them, I think they are gone FOREVER, but Hasbro's public relations staff don't want to sound like they were wrong to put them onto figures in the first place. :)

Jargo
03-15-2003, 05:10 PM
A valid point. Randy Popper was the press rep as far as I can tell and being the king of spin that he is... :rolleyes: that does sound like something he would attempt. However, I fear a return with the final movie. As once more they feel the need to segregate the kids from the adults and palm off crap as toys on the innocents. Children deserve just as good as we get all of the time. I don't believe that children should be sold substandard items as standard. Their money is as good as ours so there should be no difference in quality or features or detail. Egality equality in collecting is what I hope for. Global equality. global egality. It's all very well to make up convenient soundbites such as "anyone who wants one will have one" but when will that be put into practice globally? "collect them all" may be a cheering sentiment at hasbro HQ but how is one to collect anything if the stores are not even stocking the product? Perhaps energy spent in concocting action feature hell and cheery soundbites could be put to better use convincing the stores to actually stock the plethora of products available. That should be the goal of a company seeking to sell large amounts of stock and avoid making a loss. with an extended license a company the size of hasbro should be seeking to keep the interest high, but interest is waning when so many cannot obtain the goods they seek. And once they do manage to track down the goods they find that the quality is subpar. Hasbro has a lot of work still to do. reducing wasted energy is the first step. Reducing the blather and waffle is next. being true to their promises is third and being honest and open and less evasive is fourth. accessibility and openness. They may think they have attained that now but they are far from it. Hasbro as they stand right now resemble an old stationwagon with a clapped out engine and wonky wheels. The bodywork may seem sound but one kick and the rust showers down upon your feet. work work busy busy chop chop bang bang. Things need to change.

Old Fossil
03-15-2003, 07:10 PM
I really like the new Emperor figure. It was a nice surprise to see it -- I had not heard any rumors beforehand. It is a HUGE improvement over the POTF2 version -- as long as it can hold its cane, which the POTF2 version could not!

The Emperor is not particularly exciting, whether on screen or as a little plastic figure. More than anything, one feels a sense of dread when in his presence, I would think; and the new Emperor figure does that for me. He just looks like an evil old man. True, the likeness is not dead-on, like Faytonni or Ack-bed-bug, but I couldn't care less about either of those boring background human characters, even if one of them IS Anthony Daniels. [At odds with this is my love of OT human background characters -- Wuher, Motti, General Dodonna, etc.]

I think I've recently come to the conclusion that I don't necessarily NEED a perfect likeness in my 3 3/4" figures to the actors they represent -- a close approximation is fine.

I'll buy this Emperor figure, if I can find one at retail.

QLD
03-15-2003, 07:21 PM
Yeah, my main gripe with this figure is that it is out of proportion. His arms look waaaay too long, and the body and head don't fit together. It's like 2 different people designed each part. Looks more like the Unleashed Emporer.

Jargo
03-15-2003, 08:41 PM
If you read the interview over at the other site that we can't type here, they talk to some guy from the streets that hasbro now employs :rolleyes: who does bits of a figure while someone else does other bits so that's why there is no continuity to figures. That's why beautiful head sculpts end up with crappy hands because they let the office juniors do the real mens work and the real men are too damn lazy to finish a job properly. The you get some clown like randy telling us how brilliant the new reductionist direction the toys are going in is. And gullible collector bob just laps it up and flops down the cash for yet another half assed job.
Hasbro can do ten times better than This palpatine and i'm insulted that they thought they could get away with this figure, they probably will though which is the sad part because people will buy any old crap as long as it says star wars. Just so long as you have every figure like the packet says you have to. Just so long as you have everything new and can crow about the fact to your friends, just so long as you have every lame error and mis-cast there ever was. Just so long as people continue to settle for second best hasbro will churn out crap like palpatine and vader and Luke and Anakin and Durge. They don't care because they just eat the money for breakfast, people who buy the crap don't care because they are too blind to even try looking and seeing what they buy, but i care because this hurts the collection. stuff like this sits on pegs for years and holds up the natural process of renewal in stores, figures like this emperor will haunt your hunt for new figures like a cancerous tumor haunts a lung. This pathetic figure will make you rue the day you ever clapped eyes on it. People who buy this figure will be in denial about how bad it is for the rest of their lives. Either that or they have no sense of taste or aesthetic at all, no appreciation of art and design, no idea what the hell they are looking and the memory of a golfdfish if they think this thing looks anything like the character in the movie. Settle for the lowest denominator and that's all you'll get in the future. never settle for less. always strive for the most, the best. refuse to buy this crap and force them to make something decent in it's place. even a different sculpt of palpatine done by someone with actual sculpting talent, someone who can see further than the end of their nose. Someone who actually knows what the hell it is they're doing. This Paplatine thing we have here is so bad I wouldn't even flush it down my toilet, it's so bad i wouldn't even throw it on the compost heap. it's so bad i wouldn't make it swim with the goldfish wearing plasticine boots. This figure is so bad i wouldn't even bother to make a funeral pyre and burn it. This figure is so bad i would actually hide it in the barbie section of TRU so no-one had to look at it while they browsed the star wars pegs. This figure is so bad i'd deliberately kick the thing under the shelving units at TRU so no-one could find it. This figure is so bad it's the first toy in the star wars line i refuse to keep a picture of in my pc archive. Out of all of everything and including all the action featured monstrosities and all the crap deluxe figures and failed sub lines, this is the first picture i refuse to keep a copy of. this figure is without a doubt the worst piece of **** i have ever seen in my entire collecting days.

Darth Trymybestus
03-15-2003, 09:21 PM
I understand what you're saying and your opinion is very valid... but is it really that bad? Is it worse than the Palpatine that was released in 1982 or whenever it was released? Surely the new one has a better likeness?
Explain what it is you don't like about it, I'd be interested to hear because I guess they can never get the likeness spot on. I mean Anakin Skywalker - Hangar Duel is very cool but it doesn't look any less like Hayden Christensen than the new Palpatine looks like Ian McDiarmid. :)

Beast
03-15-2003, 09:30 PM
While Jargo has every right to his opinion, I will have to disagree with him greatly that it doesn't look like Palpatine. I still think after checking out my Laserdisc of ROTJ, as well as various pictures on sites on the net, that the headsculpt is fine. The inner robes could be a bit less wrinkled, but I still like the figure. It's still better then the previous attempts at the charecter. :)

http://mellody.co.za/michaela/palpatine/galleryc.htm

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Trymybestus
03-15-2003, 09:47 PM
I agree with you JJB, I think if you look at the comparison pic that I've made, they've done a great job! :)

187-Maul
03-16-2003, 05:51 AM
everytime I look at the fig I want it even more:) I agree that hasbro did a great job capturing Ian's likeness, and with a shadow in the face the fig looks perfect (like in my avatar):)

Jargo
03-16-2003, 11:17 AM
The hood is too big and too wide showing far too much face and ears? when did we get to see his ears and the back of his head? The pose is too much like a ninety year old man, too skiny and frail. his robes are too close to his body and don't look like fabric at all, his arms are to skinny and wirey looking. It might have wrinkles on the face but the over all look is of a prune and not Ian McDiarmid in make up. his head looks down where the Emperor kept his chin held high so it completely misses the actual persona of the Emperor, the emperor is a bold confident cunning guy where this figure seems sheepish and meek, totally wrong. This figure will look shiney and flat and like his cloak is made from oily black plastic whereas the Emperors costume is ribbed and looks like a bath robe. This looks like a lump of plasticine.

While the POTF2 version also looks smooth it does have the character of the Emperor, especialy the sitting version. The flashback version with lightning bolts looks evil where this looks pathetic. This looks like a sad old man not an evil dictator. This is an unfinished sculpt passed off as a finished figure. The sculpting is rough and ready and looks messy. The older versions of the Emperor were actually finished sculpts. as such they are vastly superior to this lump of chewed up wax resin.

Glitch
03-16-2003, 01:46 PM
Every time I look a this thing, it only reinforces my opinion that this is the biggest piece of crap in recent memory. To say that one has "been collecting for too long" as a reason for not liking this turd of a figure is one of the biggest cop outs of a reason I have every heard. You don't have to be a devout collector to see that this thing is TOTAL trash. What are the positives of this thing? Hell, you don't even need a slightly critical eye to see this thing is PLAGUED with huge inaccuracies.

Let's start a list:

Hood too big and too far away from his face. It reveals WAY too much of the head.

Proportions. The head is too large, or the body is too small - take your pick.

Arms are FAR too long. When extended to his sides, the hands would reach down past his knees. Is this still human anatomy? This is not the Emperor, it's the Aperor!

The sculpt of the cloak is an embarrassment. Like I said in a previous post, it looks like he is wearing a black plastic garbage bag rather than the thick fabric seen in the film. The sculptor simply got WAY too carried away with the wrinkle detail. The real cloak had thick folds and droops. Again, if you think this is the best they could have done, all you need to do is go back and look at the Episode 1 Darth Sidious. THAT is what a finely sculpted cloak looks like.

Cloak itself is too shiny and lacks texture. His cloak was not made of wax, folks. Again, Episode 1 Darth Sidious...

Pose of figure. It looks like a hunched, skinny Muppet.

These are just a few, so feel free to add to this list... I would LOVE to see a list of positives. And no, comparing it to a figure that is over six years old is not one of them. As it stands, it's still not better. More detailed, but not more accurate

If you think this figure is great, I don't know what to say other than you can add him to the other figures in your "Unleashed" collection, because that's what this thing is. It is not a movie accurate representation of the Emperor in the least, but rather, a caricature of him - complete with big ol' head.

The comparison pics posted above say it all. This thing is total dung.