PDA

View Full Version : IMPERIAL SHUTTLE -- Still Awesome?

mark2d2
03-14-2003, 04:43 PM
Okay, I am still on the fence about getting this toy.

Size and Cost Issues . . .

To those of you who have it --- how's it hold up after a couple of weeks? Are you still totally loving it? Any regrets? Would you buy it again? I'm curious as I really can't decide on this ship . . .

Jargo
03-14-2003, 05:00 PM
I'm still diggin' mine. Don't regret buying two even though it broke the bank. Would I buy it again? No. I have two, unless the house burnt down and reduced them to molten plastic lumps, then I definately would rebuy. I'm happy with them just sitting on a shelf looking imposing or flying one around my room. They make the perfect backdrop to figures. I'd love to hang one from my ceiling eventually, I can't pass by without looking at them and feeling happy. Best purchases of 2002/3 and no regrets.

Beast
03-14-2003, 05:06 PM
I'm waiting patiently for mine, as the store I ordered mine from hasn't received theirs yet. But from the pictures I've seen, and the ammount of positive posts from those who have, I would definatly say that it was worth it. Especially with the 2 Imperial Dignitaries coming out 2003/2004. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

TheDarthVader
03-14-2003, 08:10 PM
JJB, where did you order yours from? I need to order one!

Brian

Beast
03-14-2003, 08:21 PM
I ordered from PAF, but they arn't taking anymore orders. Cloud City Collectibles apperantly got 88 of them in the other day. I believe they are selling them for $139.00 mint, and $129.00 non-mint. Might wanna give them a try. :)

http://www.cloudcity.com/

http://www.cloudcity.com/search_results.asp?txtsearchParamTxt=FAO+Shuttle&CatSource=ALL..1&txtsearchParamCat=ALL&subcat=&txtCatName=&txtsearchParamType=ALL&iLevel=1&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turbowars
03-15-2003, 12:46 PM
Well last night I bit he bullet and drove down town (10 miles) and snagged one from FAO. I counted about 10 up stairs and 15 down stairs. They probably had more in the back? Anyways I got home and opened it up. It's very nice. When the wings are down it looks huge! The only thing is, when the wings are up they don't fold well. I mean one wing is closer to the fin than the other. I love the paint, but I hate the handle. I'm thinking about removing the handle for a hanging display. The price with tax was $129 and some change. It's not worth the cost IMHO, but I'm happy I have it. When I saw the 1984 copy right, It brought me back to when I was a kid for I second, so maybe that in it's self makes it worth the price. I'd say buy it if you have the means. ---------------------------------------- EDIT: I messed with the wings and now they are fine. I just held one wing in place and moved the other down until I heard a loud CLICK and their fixed. Now to remove the handle.:D

jjreason
03-15-2003, 02:06 PM
Good thread here. Im now starting to feel the urge to buy this damned thing because of the feedback, when originally I swore left and right I wouldn't because of the FAO exclusivity (excluding, effectively, Canadian buyers). I'm feeling my resolve cracking as I type, but I think I can hold off a little while longer. I haven't heard ANYONE say they've regretted spending the money. That's rare, especially when you consider the comparatively massive cost of this item. Im sure it's super sweet. Damn.

Jargo
03-15-2003, 03:38 PM
JJ go buy the shuttle because it wants you to, it's calling your name can you hear it in the still of the night? it's calling out to you "JJ - JJ come buy me, I want you to fondle me JJ and play with me aaaaaaaall night and aaaaaaaall day, come find me JJ I waaaaaant you big boy, JJ hehehe JJ come and buy me....." Go buy that baby JJ she wants you man, Wants you to go lay down the hard cash and carry her home, unwrap her and lay your hands on her hard taught bodywork and feel the sleekness of her lines, open her wings wide and just slip that imperial officer in there, let her ramp ooze open and badaboombadabing!

I say you should all go buy a shuttle.

Turbowars
03-15-2003, 03:44 PM
I don't know Jargo, I think you are trying to get use to buy something else.:crazed:

Amy
03-15-2003, 04:25 PM
Well I'm in Oklahoma, so I will have to end up ordering one I reckon. I have ALWAYS wanted one of these, but its over $100 for crying out loud!:mad: Thats just a bit too much for me right now...:frus:

Jargo
03-15-2003, 05:21 PM
Well apparently the production run was 30,000 so there should be plenty floating round still.

jjreason
03-15-2003, 05:25 PM
Jesus, I swear Im hearing things.....

What? How the hell did that credit card get into my hand???

Why does everything have that weird orange tint to it, making everything blue in here look brown all of a sudden? What's happening??????

Help me, anyone, you're my financial situation's only hope...

Turbowars
03-15-2003, 05:30 PM
CHARGE IT CHARGE IT CHARGE IT CHARGE IT!!!!!!!!!!

Jargo
03-15-2003, 05:32 PM
"Into the valley of debt rode the one JJ....." ;)

jjreason
03-15-2003, 05:36 PM
It's done. Im feeling dirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrtier than ever.

Come on baby, Daddy's home.

mark2d2
03-15-2003, 05:40 PM
Okay, this thread has totally backfired!

You were all supposed to say that it's a lame-O ship.
To skip it. Save my credit card the hassle.
That you all bought it in the heat of the moment.
And now are like --- "WHAT was I thinking?"

Instead I see a trip to the Grove looming on the horizon.
Thanks a lot! :eek: :crazed: :sur: :rolleyes: :D :evil:

Turbowars
03-15-2003, 05:44 PM
Would it make you feel any better if I was to tell you there are only 2 left at the Grove and one of them is missing a part? Go Mark GO!!!

TheDarthVader
03-16-2003, 10:50 PM
I feel like JJ. This ship is really tempting me. I do have some money saved, and I am getting REALLY tempted to just order one right now!!

jjreason
03-17-2003, 01:00 AM
I don't have the ship yet, so Im experiencing a little anxiety. My wife called from Nanaimo, where she's house hunting right now. The day I spend about 190 bucks on the shuttle - she dropped 170G's on a house. I think maybe I'm a dead man.

It don't matter, Baby, Daddy's still waitin' for ya by the door.........

2-1B
03-17-2003, 02:13 AM
190 is a drop in the bucket compared to 170 boxes of ziti.

You did the right thing, no need to feel dirrrrrrrrty. ;)

Old Fossil
03-17-2003, 09:46 AM
I still personally can't justify spending @$130 on one Star Wars toy, even if it IS the Shuttle. Heck, I feel guilty spending just $10 on my collecting hobby these days.

The way I see it, you can't eat a Shuttle. Its cost = about 1 month's supply of groceries for Mr. & Mrs. Twodot and the animals. Or, with the current price of gas, two month's worth of Regular Unleaded for my truck and the wife's car.

For $130 I can get a nice pair of new shoes, and maybe a new shirt, too.

Then there's the coming month of May, with its Mother's Day, and between my mother and my stepmother and my mother-in-law, well...

Then there's the knowledge that I've already spent uncounted hundreds -- thousands, maybe -- of dollars on this sprawling collection of toys, many of which seldom see the light of day. For me, personally, a $130 Shuttle would bring more guilty feelings that pleasure.

But that's just me. :cool:

jjreason
03-17-2003, 10:23 AM
In case anyone is wondering why I'd drop 190, I live in Canada. I paid 125 plus 12 shipping US, which is going to approach 200 of my dollars. Im crazy, and less than hyper-intelligent, but not that crazy, and not that much less!

Darkross
03-17-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by jjreason
In case anyone is wondering why I'd drop 190, I live in Canada. I paid 125 plus 12 shipping US, which is going to approach 200 of my dollars. Im crazy, and less than hyper-intelligent, but not that crazy, and not that much less!

Hey JJ...where did you purchase it from?

jjreason
03-17-2003, 12:02 PM
Kebco, but to access their shuttles, I had to be a member of their club. I joined at the start of the year, and they emailed me the availability of shuttles via that site shortly after. I hummed and hawed for the better part of 2 months before pushing the button. I feel totally sick for caving in to this stupid, terrible marketing ploy - but I couldn't help myself. The pics and reviews were too much.

mm74md
03-17-2003, 12:38 PM
I just bought 2 with ease at the D.C. area FAO in Virginia. They are really sweet.

Anyone looking to buy one should just call up a regional FAO & buy it over the phone. They have no problem shipping it to your or holding it until you can pick it up.

If you have the means, I highly recommend getting one. It is so choice.

DarthWitko
03-17-2003, 08:45 PM
Ok I just got my shuttle. First let me say that I am very happy that I ordered it. It is quite choice. Now the good and the bad.

The good this thing is huge. I can't believe it but it has to be close to scale. It is much bigger then I expected. The detail on this ship is amazing. It is basically just a beautifull ship. Holding it in your hands and looking at it is quite a treat.

The bad. No sounds, no real action features, nothing is automatic you have to move wings and landing gear yourselves. Probably not worth $130 but when you think of what a vintage shuttle will cost it is quite a deal. So if you want a shuttle you should buy it.

What would make it worth $130. They should have included action figures. One set of imperial guards, the emperor, a pilot, a darth vader would have made this worthwhile. Either that or a rebel landing party with endor soldiers, Han Solo, Liea, Luke, and chewbacca. Either one of those and sounds and lights and this shuttle would have definitely worth the price. But as is it is a pretty choice ship.

Break out that card and buy. You only live once and you can't take the money with you.

mm74md
03-18-2003, 09:34 AM
DarthWitko, I'd have to agree with you. For the price there should have been some electronics or include a measly 2 Imperial Officer to pilot the darn thing!

As far as the price, it's a bit high. Considering either a loose & complete or MIB vintage shuttle would cost more...I think it's worth it.

My wife freaked when I came in with 2 of them! :mad:

DarthWitko
03-18-2003, 11:12 AM
Does anyone else feel like a drug addict with this stuff. I mean I speant $130 for a big chunk of plastic and I don't feel guilty at all. Something has to be wrong with me. It seems a day does not go by when I don't think of some new Star Wars toy to spend my hard earned cash on. I fear that if I stop I might have some type of withdrawl symptons and have to take on drinking or something to deal with them.

jjreason
03-18-2003, 12:20 PM
There's a thread about this right now in "Collecting - Other". Check it out........

Turbowars
03-18-2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Twodot Tatooine

The way I see it, you can't eat a Shuttle. Its cost = about 1 month's supply of groceries for Mr. & Mrs. Twodot and the animals. Or, with the current price of gas, two month's worth of Regular Unleaded for my truck and the wife's car.

Wow Twodot, either you don't eat and drive anywhere or where you buy groceries and gas is really cheap.

mtriv73
04-28-2003, 04:51 PM
Entertainment Earth has these things available for pre-order for just over $100. Kind of makes me feel ill now that I paid $130 for it a couple of months ago. Oh well, I got it a couple of months ago and didn't have to wait. Hope this helps someone out.

Bosskman
04-28-2003, 06:04 PM
I love my shuttle and I'd buy another in a second if I ever go to an FAO again. I wouldn't get another one off the internet though.

Val Da Car
04-28-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by mtriv73
Entertainment Earth has these things available for pre-order for just over $100. Kind of makes me feel ill now that I paid $130 for it a couple of months ago. Oh well, I got it a couple of months ago and didn't have to wait. Hope this helps someone out.

Their price might be low but how much is freight gonna be from California (knows how to party......oops some Dr Dre & 2Pac in my head....)

since the shuttle weights about 10lbs + Packing...

LusiferSam
04-28-2003, 09:29 PM
I just can't justified spending that much money on the thing right now. I have the vintage version and I having a hard with the idea that I might pay more for the new one than I paid for the vintage. That and its size is a problem.

Val Da Car
04-28-2003, 09:32 PM
btw how are the electronics on the vintage shuttle....is it the buzz whir sound like the Tie Interceptor?

Dialogus
04-28-2003, 11:26 PM
Won one on Ebay 2 weeks away fm a guy living in...Malaysia!

I paid it $96.00 US with S&H included . I know guys...Ebay might really not be the best spot but at that price I think it's worth the try. The guy seems correct.

Since I don't have the vintage one, I was definately looking forward 2 it. With the new improved look it's gotta be one helluva piece:evil: !!!
Wished it had electronic features like the old one though.

Still, to me it's a must have !

But pay AS LESS as u can.

Trip J
04-29-2003, 12:30 PM
It still my favorite. I've wanted one since the vintage days, and am still tickled to have it (and to not have to pay $400 for it).

If I had the space for another, I'd buy it. No questions asked.

sease9
04-30-2003, 10:53 AM
Its freakin awesome...I collect mostly carded,but this ship was to bad not to open...one of my favorites.....

Dark Marble
04-30-2003, 12:19 PM
I have a vintage one, and I just put in a pre-order with entertainment earth for the saga update. One of these vehicles is a must, but two just seems...dirty! :evil: But with a new paint job, and setting up an Emperor's arrival scene and a hanger scene, it is worth having two.

For anyone wondering, the total for this bad boy was $121.94 with shipping. That's $109.99 for the shuttle and $11.95 for shipping. The website says it is going to ship in July, but we will see. I hope I will get one, I have to watch those pennies though.

LusiferSam
05-01-2003, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Val Da Car
btw how are the electronics on the vintage shuttle....is it the buzz whir sound like the Tie Interceptor?

Yeah, that's the sound pretty much all the vintage vehicles make. But it better then nothing.

Val Da Car
05-03-2003, 09:25 AM
ALRIGHT....Electronics or not!!!!

I dropped the hammer on the Shuttle.........

But the cool thing is that EE had a survey they wanted me to fill out and it would give me $10 off any purchase and I used it toward the shuttle...

now the waiting begins.....Late July....will not come soon enough

RussUAE
05-04-2003, 05:10 AM
I'm still waiting for mine - soooo not fair.

The onlien retailer promises that it is still coming and has just been delayed by their supplier in Hong Kong.

Can't wait for it to get here though - I've got all my Imperial Guards and stormtroopers ready - just the dignataries needed now!

Thunderstorm1
05-08-2003, 06:44 PM
Just to let everyone know. www.kbtoys.com has the shuttle for pre-order for $99.99. The only bad thing is that there is a $15 surcharge added to the price, putting back up above $120 w/shipping!

Here is the link

http://www.kbtoys.com/genProduct.html/PID/2360439/ctid/17?_e=3ebae&_v=&ls=default

Val Da Car
05-08-2003, 07:21 PM
I am glad I kept with EE since KB has a tendency to tag everything with their label/stickers....

really annoying on big ticket items or on figures

Dark Marble
05-09-2003, 10:39 AM
What is that KB surcharge about??? It is bad enough the thing has to be so expensive with out extra charges going on. Wow, the stuff we will take to get what we want. I am sticking with my EE pre-order as well.

I wonder if the shuttles will ever hit KB retailers? It would be kind of cool to waltz down to the local KB and find it just sitting there. I guess anything is possible.

Darkross
05-09-2003, 10:47 AM
I'm gonna wait on this baby...it'll drop even more in a few months. Too bad this bad boy won't ever come to Canadian retailers....:(

Scackmgack
05-09-2003, 11:31 AM
I am VERY happy I bought an old-school Imperial Shuttle back in '96 for like $50, otherwise I might feel inclined to let myself get [EDITED] for $130 for the new one...

God Bless foresight! LOL

- Scack

Mod Note: Removed offensive word.
DA

Val Da Car
05-10-2003, 12:19 PM
Dear Dar,

(that just sounds funny or is it me?)

Should this Shuttle thread be joint with the other KBToys Shuttle Thread?

Thanks

Val

Reagan Davis
05-11-2003, 07:59 PM
I traded Brians Toy for one and it is the best ship in my collection.....I wished I had two.