PDA

View Full Version : Pre Movie Quiz

stillakid
03-14-2003, 05:46 PM
You know that lame-o slide show they run before the commercials and previews? Well, there's currently a quiz question that is out and out incorrect.

Just in case you give a rats arse, when they ask you what the name of the round thingie is that is on the end of the eyepiece of the movie camera, the answer is not "doughnut," as some moron says who took the time to actually shoot a slide of a plate of doughnuts.

The correct answer is "eyepiece chamoise." The doughnut is a piece of foam rubber that is cut to fit the front barrel element of a lens. It is sized so that no light can enter the matte-box from behind the camera and be reflected off a filter (in the matte-box) and back into the front element. The eyepiece chamoise (pronounced: shammy) has a similar shape, but is far smaller and is made from different material with a very different purpose.

Enjoy the show! :cool:

LTBasker
03-14-2003, 06:07 PM
Actually I've never gotten that question, I wish they'd update those little trivia things more though, I remember one version they ran for like a year, maybe longer.

Eternal Padawan
03-15-2003, 08:42 AM
...and Star Wars is NOT one word. Starwars...:mad:

...and Yoda said when 900 years you reach...not 800 :mad:

2-1B
03-15-2003, 02:45 PM
. . . and Vader never said "Luke, I am your father." :mad:

stillakid
03-15-2003, 07:25 PM
Just came back from an outing with the kids to see Cody Banks. (cute kid picture...couldn't keep my eyes off of Angie Harmon, but I digress).

Found another wrong quiz answer. The question was, what do they call it when the actors and extras are called to the set? Their wrong answer was "cattle call." Maybe that's what they name it when a large auditiion is to take place long before production begins, but when actually on set, the extras are placed during rehearsal and then set as the lighting and cameras are finishing up. When the First AD knows that the DP is just about ready to go, he'll call to his Second AD or the DGA Trainee out near the trailers to "bring in First Team."

Cattle call? Not even close.:rolleyes:

I think next time I go to a movie, I'll take my sons Gameboy with me to kill the time.

Mandalorian Candidat
04-21-2003, 02:23 PM
I don't go to the movies often anymore. The reasons are myriad but one of the emerging ones is that the movie people (whatever you want to call them; hollywood, movie exhibitors, etc.) seem to think we're all a bunch of morons. The Coke-sponsored premovie slide show is soooo asinine I feel like either shutting my eyes until the previews start or getting to the theater right before show time. I went this past Saturday and got there about 20 minutes early because this particular theater always fills up.

The crap Coke puts on these slides is the essence of vapidness. From "pick the winning soda bottle" to "clap if you love..." you can see the disdain the producer of this slide show has for the general public! The final straw was one slide with five "hidden" cans of Coke and the caption: Find the hidden cans. I mean they weren't obscured or hidden at all. They were just sitting there in the open. At first I thought there was some gimmick but the next slide showed all five cans circled. Who are these geniuses that come up with this crap?

I'm with you stillakid. Next time I'm bringing something to do.

Prince Xizor
04-21-2003, 02:29 PM
HEY! Don't make fun of those find-the-coke slides. I'm really good at them....

stillakid
04-21-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat

I'm with you stillakid. Next time I'm bringing something to do.

One of my latest ideas is to rent portable DVD players and movies to parents who have to accompany their children into mind-numbing "family" films or Digimon features. :crazed:

bobafrett
04-21-2003, 04:05 PM
Stillakid, you work in the film industry if I remember correctly, right? I saw both of those quiz questions. Can't you do something to keep the public from being misinformed?

DarthChuckMc
04-21-2003, 05:24 PM
The BEST is the one they have here in Orlando.

It's something to the effect of:

Name the movie that this Coke bottle is imitating?

It shows a Coke bottle at the tip of a ships bow.
then, in the bottom right hand corner of the screen, you see the word TITANIC upside, plain as day in the water.

COME ON!

stillakid
04-21-2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by bobafrett
Stillakid, you work in the film industry if I remember correctly, right? I saw both of those quiz questions. Can't you do something to keep the public from being misinformed?

Besides my PSA here? No. I'm just a small cog in the wheel. :(