PDA

View Full Version : Return of the Living Dead 4 and 5

James Boba Fettfield
03-14-2003, 06:12 PM
Look at this crap.

FANGORIA has learned that Tobe Hooper is in talks to direct two back-to-back RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD sequels for the film seriesí producer, Tom Fox. Ironically, Hooper had once been attached to helm the original ROTLD in 1985, before screenwriter Dan OíBannon stepped in.

ROTLD 4 & 5 are expected to shoot this summer, with both sequels featuring scripts by the writing team of William Butler and Aaron Strongoni. "The first one, subtitled RAVE FROM THE GRAVE, is a lot like the original, with the comedy," Butler tells Fango. "Itís a collegiate setting, like ANIMAL HOUSE but with horror. The story of part four will go right into part five, but the sequels will also be standalones. Part five is being called BATTALION, and itís our BAND OF BROTHERS with zombies.

"Weíre writing these films as fans," Butler adds. "Iím having so much fun! They are the zombie movies that I grew up with. We really pay homage to the first [RETURN] film, and we want to get many of the original cast back for cameos, especially Thom Mathews and James Karen." Optic Nerveís John Vulich, who handled the walking stiffs on the NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD remake (in which Butler co-starred), will tackle FX chores on both ROTLD follow-ups.

Butler, whose early-í90s horror acting credits also include LEATHERFACE and GHOULIES II, has been developing ROTLD sequels with Fox for the last few years. One rejected screenplay has even been spun off into a separate zombie project called NECROPOLIS. In addition, Butler is co-writing and will direct an indie horror flick called MADHOUSE in Romania this spring. "Itís a ghost story, kind of like SILENCE OF THE LAMBS meets THE OTHERS," says Butler, who has directed commercials and episodic kidsí TV. "It has that slasher element to it. A young man takes a college internship at an asylum, and finds out that itís either haunted, stalked by a serial killer whoís also a patient or the headmaster may be responsible for the murders, as he has an interest in the occult.

"The ghosts are really cool," Butler continues. "I want to pay homage to the creepy people from THE SENTINEL. Johnny Vulich will be doing the effects on MADHOUSE too.

ROTLD4&5 (http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=889)

Beast
03-14-2003, 06:35 PM
Why is that crap? I think a Tobe Hooper directed Living Dead movie would be great. Can't be any worse then Return of the Living Dead III. If they are anywhere near as good as RotLD and RotLD 2, then bring them on. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
03-14-2003, 07:28 PM
I just hope they can make me forget the 3rd ROTLD is all. It's kind of like my calling anything after Batman (1989) crap, even though I never gave Batman and Robin a full viewing (half a viewing was enough). Nothing against these two movies, just my prejudice based on the 3rd film.

That Band of Brothers idea sounds like Day of the Dead. I hope they prove me wrong, because I find the walking dead to be the scariest idea for a film ever. Though I shouldn't go looking for scares, more the "we know this is a b movie idea" kind of film that knows what it is and tries to be nothing more....kind of like ROTLD.

Beast
03-14-2003, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by James Boba Fettfield
It's kind of like my calling anything after Batman (1989) crap, even though I never gave Batman and Robin a full viewing (half a viewing was enough).
Ok, I see where your coming from now. And good, avoid Batman and Robin like the plauge. If you thought Batman Forever was terrible, B&R will make you want to tear your eyes out. I liked the first Batman, and Batman Returns. But once they lost Tim Burton and Michael Keaton they turned to crap. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
03-14-2003, 07:49 PM
When I posted this, something told me you (JJB) would be one of the few to care about this news. Maybe it's due to your liking of the original ROTLD. It's not a bad thing, but you can tell only certain people would actually see this news as something cool. I'm just wondering if these will be straight to video movies, or if they'll actually try a theatrical release. *JBF imagines the suckiness of House of the Dead and House of a 1000 Corpses* Maybe straight to video, eh.

Beast
03-14-2003, 07:55 PM
I'm a huge fan of ROTLD, like you said. I was one of the people rallying for it to be released on DVD. Now we need the second one. Originally I would have guessed direct to video on 4 and 5. But with Tobe Hooper in the directors chair, they have a chance of coming to the theaters. Especially if they get a couple recognizable actors in the parts. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Fulit
03-14-2003, 08:32 PM
I love the Living Dead!

James Boba Fettfield
03-14-2003, 08:36 PM
Welcome to the thread, brother.

I believe that these films may get a thatrical release, but it won't be anything big. Maybe a limited release if they do get the theatrical go ahead.

QLD
03-14-2003, 09:02 PM
I just don't love horror movies like I used to, but I really liked the first two ROLD movies. The 3rd was soooooooo awful. But maybe these will be cool.

SQueek
03-16-2003, 09:29 AM
I loved the first Return, i have yet to see the sequals. But Return anyways, it looks like your average B zombie movie thats a spin off of another zombie movie, but its turned out that it was one of the best horror films I've ever seen.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-16-2003, 04:02 PM
I saw the first one, hated it for disgracing the zombie genre Romero worked to perfect, but loved it for how goofy it was. I haven't see the sequels yet, due to not really caring to, but now i'm curious. I'll hafta check them out before i think about 4-5. cheers! :D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-04-2004, 01:47 PM
BD posted some links about these flicks.

http://www.fangoria.com/fearful_feature.php HUGE article posted at Fangoria about it.

Pics & brief summary: ROTLD 4: http://freezedriedmovies.com/film.php?id=119

ROTLD 5: http://freezedriedmovies.com/film.php?id=120

Granted, the pics are exactly the same, but whatever. :D

Mods: i will merge my last two threads once i get a reply or two. I wanna make sure the news is seen. :D

Ji'dai
09-04-2004, 05:24 PM
I loved the original ROTLD. I still quote lines from that one all the time. The second one was okay, but not nearly as good as the first. I've seen just a smidgen of part III on SciFi but from what I saw a shipment of rabid weasels would be more enjoyable to watch. Hopefully four and five turn out better.

I wonder what Trash looks like these days :D

Hellboy
09-07-2004, 05:46 PM
I'm with you Guyute as far as not really being a fan of the ROTLD series but I'll give the sequels a chance I suppose. I always saw these films as a ridiculous alternative to Romero's Dead films which are far and away better pieces of work IMHO. I'm one of those people who enjoys a more serious tone in zombie films so the blend of comedy and horror just didn't work for me on these but I'll admit Shaun of the Dead looks promising and it's attempting a similar blend so maybe I'll have to revisit the entire series someday.

2-1B
02-18-2005, 02:19 PM
I owe somebody an apology. I can't remember what venue we were discussing this series (maybe AIM, Binks?) but last time I talked about these movies I gave credit to ROTLD2 as being a good movie that I loved as a kid.

Boy was I ever mistaken. :(

I bought 2 and 3 on DVD a few months back and while I love part 1, the first sequel is absolute crap. Pure rubbish.

Now 3 on the other hand is pretty decent. Not nearly as cool as the first one of course but I have to give it credit because it stands up on its own. Mindy Clarke naked is always a treat ;) and come on, they've got Basil Wallace as the River Man !

I really hope they move along with 4 and 5.

Man, does part 2 ever suck. :mad:

2-1B
10-14-2005, 11:34 PM
Part 2 still sucks, Part 1 still rules, and Part 3 is still underrated.

Anyway, WTF is up with Parts 4 and 5, aka Necropolis and Rave to the Grave ? :confused:

Sci Fi is showing them both tonight but I haven't heard anything about a DVD release ? :confused:

Hellboy
10-28-2005, 06:20 PM
I caught 4 and 5 when they were on a few weekends ago and man they were bad. I actually made it all the way through part 4 but 20 min. into part 5 I bailed. The acting was so bad I actually had to force myself not to turn the channel on several occasions. The best thing about these films was the trailer on the Sci-Fi channel that actually made me think these could be decent zombie flicks, boy was I wrong.

2-1B
10-29-2005, 12:30 AM
Sorry to hear that Helly but I can't say I'm surprised. How do they compare to DotD2 Contagium ? :confused:

(I won't get my copy of Contagium for another day or 2)

Hellboy
10-29-2005, 02:00 PM
Couldn't say since I haven't received my copy of Contagium yet either but I seriously doubt if its as bad as these two films were.

2-1B
10-30-2005, 11:36 PM
Well, that's encouraging for Contagium, then. lol

James Boba Fettfield
10-31-2005, 04:54 PM
I don't know about 5, but I know 4 had a record amount of zombies biting the back of someone's head. Run run, zombie bites back of skull, run run, zombie bites the back of another skull.

Is that the only special effect they could come up with for a death by zombie? :rolleyes: