PDA

View Full Version : Did you ever find anything GREAT at Canadian retail?

jjreason
03-14-2003, 07:46 PM
Not really a poll or anything, as they don't really open things up for discussion, but lets hear about something Star Wars-y you really, really freaked out about when you found - something that made you super happy.

1. Luke X-Wing at London Toys R Us - wave 2 of the POTF2 line. I was so freaking happy about him, it was bizarre. For some reason they had a few of him, but none of the other wave 2 figs??? I remember buying 3 complete sets of wave 2 from the fan club, then selling up here for a real pretty penny.

2. Monkey Leia, the Bay, Kitchener. Here's a dinger of story. Back in 95 or 96 the Bay sent a flyer out advertising SW figs at a low price of 6.99 or something. Included in the flyer was Leia - who was extremely short packed in the beginning, like non-existant. JJR calls up the Bay (1800 # right on the flyer) and gripes about not being able to find that figure in any Bay store, no matter where I checked or called. Now get this: the lady says to me "I'll find you one. I can appreciate your frustration." Not two weeks later, a US carded one shows up in my mail box - at no cost to me. Mind you the card was bent, but who the hell cares????? I was so freaked out......

Within a month, the Bay in Kitchener called me up as well saying they got one in (I'd left messages at every Bay from Windsor to Toronto asking for her). I jumped in the car and drove the hour to get her post haste, sold the first dinged one for..... you guessed it........

50 bucks. No kidding.

Now that's what I call customer service!!!!!!!!! Not long after she was showing up in spades, with the different belt sculpt. Man.

3) All 4 Target accessory sets up here in my Prince Rupert Zellers, before many of the US people posting here had even found them down there! Sweeeeeeeeeeeet. And wicked toys too.

How 'bout you guys?

fourtwo
03-14-2003, 11:37 PM
2 freeze frame weequays a few months ago, those were pretty hot.

Jerjerrod
03-15-2003, 02:33 AM
In order:

3. Saga - Luke's Landspeeder, at TRU, and only for $14.99!!!

2. POTF - FF TIE fighter pilot, at the Bay, it was in crushed condition, but oh well.

And the number 1 most stunning find in Canadian retail was....

1. POTJ - Sandtrooper, at TRU, it was mint too! :D

(None for WM, even The Bay beat you.)

jjreason
03-15-2003, 03:24 AM
Then my zellers would have smoked again....between here and Terrace I picked up about 6 POTJ Sandtroopers and at least that many Bespin Guards. Way, way after I'd gotten my first ones from the US, but you need to scoop what you can. I love that Sandtrooper. No, really. I love him.

fourtwo
03-15-2003, 05:08 AM
yeah thats a hot figure, my collection is lacking one severly.
i got the stormy 4 pack though
:D

seth_quinn
03-15-2003, 06:51 AM
wow, way to make a guy question his hobby! ...well actually I guess that's not entirely true, I'm sitting here looking around the room and it's just that almost none of my favorite things were found in Canada. my top Canadian finds look something like this:

Republic Gunship - even though I had to get a pair of pilots from the US and it won't feel really complete until I find a dlx clone w/speeder.

both versions of the potj speeder bike pilot.

Luminara Unduli - I could care less that she's only got three pretty useless points of articulation. I still think the sculpt and paint are amazing.

sitting on the floor of wal-mart early on E2 day opening the cases for the ladies in the toy department.

finding at least half of the entire E1 line 75% off at wal-mart after initially deciding not to collect it. (bonus - $50 naboo starship that my gf actually bought for me)

my gf sweeting the stock boy to go back and open cases to find me a commtech r2 which was really hard to find here

through most of potf2 I had a friend/co-worker that also collected, so finding anything first was a small victory that was fun to rub in the other's nose.

this may sound sappy but one of the best things I've found while being physically in Canada is this forum. it has really renewed my interest and made collecting fun again even though nothing new has been coming to the great white north.

seth_quinn
03-15-2003, 06:52 AM
btw - where the heck did you find two wequay ff's and for how much? (I hate you - lol)

mabudonicus
03-15-2003, 10:30 AM
Aunt Beru and Anakin flashback at wm for 5 bucks a pop... I only had had 5 bucks, so I got beru:D
This forum had kept me "in" for a lot longer than I maybe would have stayed otherwise for sure... and gotten me to things I wouldn't have had a shot at otherwise... another forumite just sent me one of them mini-ties, frinstance, which I didn't even know about but through here

jjreason
03-15-2003, 11:48 AM
I love stories of finding, cheating, opening, hiding, etc. Hilarity abounds when the chatter about "How I got this" and "How I got that" gets going.......

What's the naughtiest thing you've ever done to get something?

I lied to my folks about being super hard up for cash so I could buy my X-Men #1. Oh, the shame.

sith_killer_99
03-15-2003, 12:30 PM
Well, I'm not from Canada, but I collect foreign (non-US) carded stuff. My favorite Canadian carded figure in my collection is the Dagobah Vader with Secret Luke sticker.:D

Honorable mention goes to my Canadian R2-D2 with holo Leia and Stormtrooper.;)

jjreason
03-15-2003, 01:38 PM
Nice bum, SK99. You been workin' out? :kiss:

fourtwo
03-15-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by seth_quinn
btw - where the heck did you find two wequay ff's and for how much? (I hate you - lol)

haha
do you really want to know?
;)
cheap, like, cheaper then figures are selling for these days for sure.
i opened one... i was thinking about selling the freeze freame on ebay, i'm sure someone would buy it just cause not many are floating around loose.
why, you interested in one?

fourtwo
03-15-2003, 03:25 PM
oh, and i hid a bunch of old freeze frame figs in a huge bin of stuffed animals at liquidation world so i could go back and get them. thats probably about the naughtiest.
once i also ran back to grab a deluxe jango cause the clerk rang them in at 5 bucks each instead of the ludacris 16 they were selling for. held up a line in a grocery sore for a good 5 mins. i felt good about that one. that fig ain't worth much more then 5 bones.

jjreason
03-15-2003, 06:53 PM
No kidding. At least you got to make other people mad waiting in line......that totally rocks!!!!!!!!:D

evil j
03-15-2003, 08:46 PM
This wasn't at a retail store, but a comic book store.
I found a US carded Holographic Darth Sidious for
.................................................. ................$4.99 CND!!!
I mean, aren't Comic book store suppose to charge double for everything they sell???? It made it that much sweeter.

fourtwo
03-15-2003, 10:31 PM
i found all sorts of loose stuff at comic shops.

i got a motti and a death star gunner in a bag with another fig for like 4 bucks, passed on a bag with the holo sidious and grapple hook padme and another for the same. another bag had the pit dorid 2 pack.
man that was a fun and expensive day.

seth_quinn
03-15-2003, 10:50 PM
overall I've been fairly well behaved in the retail world - which is a little out a character for me, hmm. I will try and cute-boy it up with the cs girls at tru from time to time to get them to run a bunch of queries to see what will be hitting the shelves but that's about it. oh yeah, can't believe I almost forgot this, one time found a bunch of full price E1 figures I needed that had upc stickers over top of the originals. I grabbed a bunch of wal-mart's $2 clear-outs, carefully peeled the stickers off and put them on the cheapies so they would all scan back into the system right, then returned them all and pocketed the savings. eBay is where I'm really bad. I have pulled some truly last second snipes.
we're talkin' just plain mean.

seth_quinn
03-15-2003, 10:57 PM
42 - did I read that right? do I want just the slide, which is all I'm really looking for? ah? yeah! pm me. trade guy with the ephant hasn't gotten back to me in like forever so I guess no-go there, sorry bro, but I'm still keeping my eyes open for you.
sk99 - nice to see another US visitor. nice bum indeed. I got some figs a while ago on ebay and they just threw in an all spanish potj break apart maul, I was gonna open it just for fun 'cause I've got two english ones already. you interested in it?
mabudon - I waited for days because I was gonna be the one that posted a big happy birthday greeting on the actual day. there's always gotta be one f-up in the group. Happy Belated Birthday!!!
eJ - nice score, they gouge us so bad so often that it's nice to hear about one of them getting hooped for a change.
jjr - nice call on this poll thread. I'd been thinking of doing something similar but with more general questions just so we could all get to know each other a little better. fav movie etc. anyone else interested in making a tread like this a weekly event? the other thing I was thinking of was some sort of a weekly chat session, like every tuesday at 11 eastern or something - get all of us online at once and yap away. feedback?

jjreason
03-16-2003, 01:17 PM
I can try to be around, but sometimes my work gets in the way. Im usually logged in from the office, but away from my desk. If my input falters, you'll know someone called 911.......

Jeez, evil J, that 4.99 holo Sidious is true evil! I was laughing my butt off walking out of my comic store having paid 16.99 for that figure! I thought I got a deal!!!!!!! All relative I guess, Im still happy I bought it, great figure.