PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Spielberg Flick

JON9000
03-15-2003, 12:45 PM
I was watching JAWS the other day, and it occurred to me that I was probably watching Spielberg's best film. That's really saying something considering the amazing movies he has made over the last 30 years.

I like JAWS best because of the little things. Everyone can agree that the score is great and the suspense is maddening. But JAWS is great because it was done before Spielberg got sappy through the mid eighties. Nary a trace of the family cutesyness in that flick. And when it is there, like when Brodie is at the table with his son mimicking him, it is completely believable and touching. And who could forget some of the other scenes?

Quint telling the story of the Indianapolis, the tracking/zoom shot as Brodie sees Alex Kitner eaten by the shark (I just found out how that was done- an old Hitchcock invention from Vertigo), Chrissy screaming and then being silenced the instant she is pulled under, Brodie telling Quint they need a bigger boat, Quint standing on the pulpit as the sun sets- just a great flick from start to finish.

So what's your favorite Spielberg movie?

Pendo
03-15-2003, 12:54 PM
Tough question. Either E.T., or one of the Indy movies :).

PENDO!

Lord Malakite
03-15-2003, 01:14 PM
That is a tough one. He has so many good ones, as well as a few flops.These are the ones I liked best.

Shindler's List
E.T.
Jurassic Park
Jaws
A.I.
Indiana Jones Raider's of the Lost Ark
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

scruffziller
03-15-2003, 01:15 PM
Saving Private Ryan

James Boba Fettfield
03-15-2003, 01:30 PM
Yeah, Saving Private Ryan. That film looked like a war documentary in parts. Excellent directorial effort.

Mike Troxell
03-16-2003, 08:42 AM
E.T.
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Minority Report

SQueek
03-16-2003, 10:26 AM
I'm gonna have to go with Jurassic Park, it was just so gorund breaking, and i was 12 when i first saw it so i kinda blew me away.

Anyways i would also have to add that his worst movie, and one of the worst movies i have ever seen let alone waste 8 dollars on, was A.I.

Eternal Padawan
03-16-2003, 10:51 AM
I don't have a favorite per se.

I liked Duel.

Sugarland Express was okay. Nothing fancy.

Jaws was great.

Close Encounters is fantastic.

1941. The less said the better. Except for Lost World, his biggest turkey.

Raiders is a classic. :) One of my favorite Indy films.

E.T. made me cry over and over when I was little. I love it.

Temple of Doom is one of my three favorite Indy films.

Never saw Color Purple.

Empire of the Sun I didn't like when I first saw it because I was a teenager and Speilberg had different connotations for me. I'd have to watch it again.

Ditto for Always. He was in a phase and I wasn't with him for it.

Last Crusade. Connery and Ford together? Perfect. And I love the iconis riding off into the sunset at the end. What a way to end a trilogy. One of my favorite Indy films. ;)

Hook. Not his best work. Sorry.

Jurassic Park. I loved this when it came out. But I was truly inspired by it in college when we had to dissect the movie, and I found an angle about being a small child who loved dinosaurs, and recalling that feeling of giddyness when Sadler and Grant see that brachiosaur the first time. Music Swells. I get a lump in my throat. I'm six years old again. :)

Schindler's List. The man's finest hour.

Lost World. The man's worst hour.

Amistad. This seems like something he did to keep busy between the gargatuan productions of Lost World and SPR.

Saving Private Ryan. His second finest hour. The man has a woody for WWII and it blooms here.

A.I. Cerebral. Different. I like it.

Minority Report. Pretty darn good.

JediTricks
03-16-2003, 09:44 PM
My fav is easily Raiders of the Lost Ark, that movie is just incredible.

I didn't actually love Jaws when I finally saw it, it was ok at best. Same with Close Encounters and ET.

I really liked Hook though, I thought that film was really great even if it did pander a bit to the kiddies. The production really looked magical too, that took it to a new level.

Then again, I liked 1941 as well, but I wasn't expecting much from it. ;)

I don't like Jurassic Park, I felt that as a science-fiction movie it would have been good but as a monster-thriller it was just cheap. The sequel was unbearable.

stillakid
03-16-2003, 09:46 PM
Raiders and Empire of the Sun

odb
03-17-2003, 03:48 PM
Its either Close Encounters or Jaws. His best work by far.

Kidhuman
03-19-2003, 12:04 AM
Tough to pick from. He has made alot of goodies. I liked E.T. alot when I was a kid. Doesn't have the same effect on me now. Indy trilogy is great. Jaws was so-so. Close encounters was good. I liked Hook. Jurassic Park was trash, same old dinosaur run wild movie with better special effects.

mrmiller
03-19-2003, 11:24 AM
Raiders

My favorite movie ever.

=MATT=

Mandalorian Candidat
03-19-2003, 05:27 PM
Wow, this is a tough choice. If I was forced to make an absolute decision I would say Raiders. It's such a great movie. I can't think of anything I really don't like about it. The bar fight/shootout in Nepal, the Well of Souls, the opening sequence, Indy sillhouetted against an Egyptian sunset surrounded by local diggers, and the ironic ending with the Ark being stashed away. It's all terrific. The two sequels don't even come close to it, IMO.

I'd also pick Jaws, Close Encounters, ET, Schindler's List, and AI in my top five.

I don't understand the negative criticism of AI. I saw it last week for the first time and thought it was brilliant. What's bad about it? I was moved more from that film than Schindler's List and SL was a very rough emotional ride. It had a great message without being preachy. To each his own I suppose.

Jayspawn
03-25-2003, 01:23 AM
My favorite Spielberg film would be a toss up between Schindler's List, Jurassic Park or ET.

Deoxyribonucleic
03-25-2003, 02:07 AM
Toss up between Jaws and E.T.

jeddah
03-26-2003, 09:39 AM
Close Encounters - for the accuracy of the UFO-lore, and the way he manage to edit out scenes without ruining continuity. The ending is also supremely uncluttered and simple as a contrast to the "and they all live happily ever after and nothing's changed" - I love the fact that we don't know what happens to Roy.

:)

jeddah

sith_killer_99
03-26-2003, 11:58 AM
It's a tie between the Indy movies and Taken.

stillakid
03-26-2003, 12:45 PM
Not technically a "flick," but I've always really enjoyed the Amazing Stories episode about the WWII bomber that loses it's landing gear leaving the belly gunner in mortal jeopardy. I think it was called "The Mission" and starred Kevin Costner in one of his early roles after having appeared in the Kevin Reynolds sleeper "Fandango."

JON9000
03-27-2003, 10:29 AM
OMG- that must be based on an urban legend because a guy I used to work with told me that story as if it were true. He himself must have thought so, because he was dead serious.